BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > US Parking Lights Question

05-07-2020, 06:07 AM   #1
_Ack_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C, '02 330Ci

US Parking Lights Question

Are the US parking lights on by default on our M2C's (US market)?

The reason I ask is that mine are definitely not on, so when I tried coding them using Bimmercode, they caused my Angel Eyes and parking lights to flicker with the headlights or with just the parking lights turned on.

I also restored my first backup and noticed my parking lights weren't coded on by default.

Anyone know what may be causing the flickering? I thought it might have to do with an incorrect bulb setting (voltage area) in Bimmercode or warm/cold monitoring being on, but my first backup should have returned everything to how it was from the factory.
      05-07-2020, 07:54 AM   #2
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

First and most important question, did you purchase your vehicle used?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 07:56 AM   #3
_Ack_
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
No - brand new and picked it up November 2019.
      05-07-2020, 08:09 AM   #4
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ack_ View Post
Quote:
No - brand new and picked it up November 2019.
The side markers are suppose to be lit, under US NHTSA rules. It's odd that it is not functioning but since your vehicle is new, I'm wagering that something is defective.

The reason I ask if your vehicle was obtained used, is because you can VO code and change to the region, on the vehicle, to disable the side markers. I figured that maybe a previous owner coded them out but since it was purchased new, probably just a defect.

This is not just a warranty issue but a federal safety omission, so the dealer will have to fix it, regardless if they want to or not.

Attached Images

Appreciate 1
_Ack_102.00
      05-07-2020, 08:19 AM   #5
_Ack_
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The side markers are suppose to be lit, under US NHTSA rules. It's odd that it is not functioning but since your vehicle is new, I'm wagering that something is defective.

The reason I ask if your vehicle was obtained used, is because you can VO code and change to the region, on the vehicle, to disable the side markers. I figured that maybe a previous owner coded them out but since it was purchased new, probably just a defect.

This is not just a warranty issue but a federal safety omission, so the dealer will have to fix it, regardless if they want to or not.

Thanks for the information.

So the flickering is most likely an issue with the headlights themselves, not a coding issue? They don't flicker when the parking lamps are off.
      05-07-2020, 08:22 AM   #6
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Parking lights are no longer enabled from factory for US, this is normal. Assuming you coded the correct setting and it’s causing issues you can try removing all coding and just recode the parking lights to rule out a conflict.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 08:31 AM   #7
_Ack_
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Parking lights are no longer enabled from factory for US, this is normal. Assuming you coded the correct setting and it’s causing issues you can try removing all coding and just recode the parking lights to rule out a conflict.
Interesting. That would correlate with why after restoring from my first backup for the FEM that the parking lights were coded off. Even after coding these on (with stock coding), they caused the flickering.

Could someone here who has a US spec car with Bimmercode try coding theirs on to see if they get the same issue and report back???
      05-07-2020, 08:32 AM   #8
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Parking lights are no longer enabled from factory for US
Isn't the marker light below, in combination with the "rings" part of parking lights, in the US?

Here they are, still active on this this 2021 G20, with 300 miles, in Queens NY..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 08:34 AM   #9
wavyyyy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
2023 bmw m3 6mt  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Isn't the marker light below, in combination to the "rings" part of parking lights, in the US?

Here they are, still active on this this 2021 G20, with 300 miles, in Queens NY..
I can code that off? I wish there was no amber in there lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 08:40 AM   #10
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Isn't the marker light below, in combination to the "rings" part of parking lights, in the US?

I'm referring to when you park the car, turn it off and enable the parking lights on a single side of the car. Used to be a feature available on all BMWs which was removed due to all the laws requiring reflectors on US spec cars. You can still code this back on, did it with my car without issues.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 08:42 AM   #11
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0butt View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I can code that off? I wish there was no amber in there lol.
You can on the Pre-LCI but didn't get a chance to mess around with them on a new, LCI BMW, to personally confirm it myself..

However, some crafty folks in the M4 section, were able to VO code them out, by changing the vehicle region from US to ROW, since the ROW mapping doesn't require them.

On the Xenons, Pre-LCI, I was even able to repurpose the "fog light button" to toggle them on/off:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1646587
Appreciate 1
wavyyyy1045.50
      05-07-2020, 08:52 AM   #12
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I'm referring to when you park the car, turn it off and enable the parking lights on a single side of the car. Used to be a feature available on all BMWs which was removed due to all the laws requiring reflectors on US spec cars. You can still code this back on, did it with my car without issues.
Now I know what you're referring to, you mean the "one side parking light" in Europe, where all cars are equipped with the capability to leave the front and rear parking light turned on, on one side of the car only.

This is accomplished by leaving the turn signal switch in the right or left turn position after the ignition has been switched off.

Yea but that feature still available on new G-Series vehicles, instead of it being activated on with the turn signal stalk, the new US-Spec M340i and M5, there is a dedicated button to switch them on/off.

Appreciate 1
Tag18149.00
      05-07-2020, 08:53 AM   #13
_Ack_
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

No, those are on for my car and lit. I'm speaking of the lights in the image below. They are the same as the flashers, but are lit up with the headlights.
Attached Images

05-07-2020, 08:54 AM   #14
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:

300 miles and nasty bumper rash already, yikes!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 08:59 AM   #15
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

No, those are on for my car and lit. I'm speaking of the lights in the image below. They are the same as the flashers, but are lit up with the headlights.
Ok, a lot of confusion on the nomenclature.

You're attempting to code the turn front signals, to stay steady burning, as "park lights."

This can be done via coding but the front turn signal LEDs were not designed to remain on, hence the reason you're overheating the unit and causing flickering.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 09:07 AM   #16
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Quote:

300 miles and nasty bumper rash already, yikes!
The G20 is physically huge, I'm accustom to wielding a smaller M2, so I accidentally scratched It, backing out of my narrow driveway but I "fixed" it back myself..

Long story but that was last year, the dealer already sold that car, so I'm in the clear.

I know, I'm not going to get into Heaven but at least I saved a bunch of money on my car Insurance, by spray painting it myself and not having the dealer rape Geico, for a cosmetic scratch..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 09:09 AM   #17
_Ack_
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

You're attempting to code the turn front signals, to stay steady burning, as "park lights."

This can be done via coding but the front turn signal LED was not design to remain on, hence the reason you're overheating the unit and causing flickering.
Correct. Bimmercode lists the turn signals as "indicators" under the "US Sidemarkers" section.

So the "parking" lights are technically the small LED strip in your picture? On my E46, the parking lights are the same as the turn signal lamp.

It is still curious as the picture I posted shows the turn signals being used as parking lights (or they had their flashers on and took the pic at the exact same time as they were lit).
      05-07-2020, 09:20 AM   #18
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

This can be done via coding but the front turn signal LED was not design to remain on, hence the reason you're overheating the unit and causing flickering.
Correct. Bimmercode lists the turn signals as "indicators" under the "US Sidemarkers" section.

So the "parking" lights are technically the small LED strip in your picture? On my E46, the parking lights are the same as the turn signal lamp.

It is still curious as the picture I posted shows the turn signals being used as parking lights (or they had their flashers on and took the pic at the exact same time as they were lit).

Yes, the "parking lights" are part of those side marker LEDs, which I was referring to. Previously, like on the E46, the turn signal was part of the side marker but now they have a dedicated LED strip on US-Spec vehicles, as I pictured and circle as on the G20.

The turn signals LEDs just flashes, temporarily, when you lock/unlock the vehicle but they don't remain steady burning.

Some folks outside the US, with no dedicated LED marker light strip, attempts to mimic and repurpose the front turn signals, to remain on, as the US side markers, steady burning but after awhile, it overheats the turn signal unit and causes flickering.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=24466501
Appreciate 1
_Ack_102.00
      05-07-2020, 09:40 AM   #19
_Ack_
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yes, the "parking light" are part of those side marker LED I was referring to. Previously, like on the E46, the turn signal was part of the side marker but now they have a dedicated LED strip on US-Spec vehicles, as I pictured and circle as on the G20.

The turn signal LEDs just flashes, temporarily, when you unlock the vehicle but they don't remain steady burning.

Some folks outside the US, with no dedicated LED marker light strip, attempts to mimic and repurpose the front turn signals, to remain on, as the US side markers, steady burning but after awhile, it overheats the turn signal unit and causes flickering.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=24466501
Thanks again Poochie, appreciate the clarifications!