BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > QuickJack 5000TL or 5000TLX for a M2C?

12-10-2022, 09:11 AM   #1
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

QuickJack 5000TL or 5000TLX for a M2C?

I realize that the 5000TL is sort of the "go-to" for an M2C, but has anyone tried the 5000TLX? I've got an Element and an RDX that I'd like to use the jack on as well. QuickJack wanted to sell me the TL AND their frame extenders-- but that a) takes up a fair bit of room and b) isn't exactly cheap.

So-- does the TLX work with a M2C? I keep confusing myself with the measurements.

TIA.

R.
      12-10-2022, 10:53 AM   #2
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

It's easy to check, grab a measuring tape and measure the distance between the jacking points. With the TLX I assume the primary concern would be that the inner distance between the two points will fit in the TLX's spec.

You need to make sure the distance between the jack points is greater than the minimum distance specified in the TLX specs, I don't think there is much risk that the distance between the wheels is too small that the TLX frames would not fit in between.

I have the SLX and frame extensions but haven't really checked if the M2 would fit on the extensions (although likely the stacked height with the extensions would make it a pain anyway). The one small benefit of the extensions for the Element and RDX would be the extra height in this case. Do keep in mind that with the higher ground clearance vehicles the QuickJack will be providing less lift.

I would recommend getting the pinch weld blocks though, I feel much safer with them for Subarus, Hondas and Toyotas. I use a set of 4 rubber adapters for the BMWs with the including QuickJack rubber blocks and they're stable, I had tried eBay rubber adapters for pinch welds and had a Subaru come unbalanced. The included QuickJack rubber blocks are softer than the pinch weld blocks and I feel that probably makes them less stable.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 09:36 AM   #3
jefe2000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
I measure the distance between the front and rear tires on my M2 at 81 inches. The 5000TLX overall frame length is 76 inches.

So, you should have around 5 inches of buffer — depending on your specific tires and wheels — with the TLX frames and your M2.

Alternatively, if you park indoors in a private space: consider storing the frame extensions under a vehicle. We store our frame extensions in their shipping carton under the Subaru Forester in our garage. They fit very well there.
Appreciate 0