M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > M performance spoiler 3m tape

03-15-2019, 09:45 PM   #1
seanyx11
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Mineral Gray

Garage List
2023 BMW M240i  [9.00]
I just installed my M performance spoiler and the 3m tape that came pre-installed was not thick enough or wide enough to really adhere properly. So, after spending 3 hours removing the stock lip and adhesive, including a trip to Autozone for 3m adhesive remover, I had to remove all the adhesive from the trunk AGAIN!! Plus, I had to remove the adhesive from the spoiler as well, and re-install some thicker, wider 3m tape (which I luckily picked up from Autozone earlier, just in case).

Long story short (I know, too late), anyone planning on installing one of these may want to preemptively remove the installed 3m tape and put on some thicker, wider 3m tape. Everything looks great and fits perfectly with no gaps anywhere, but the original tape was not up to snuff.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Bosozoku693.50
ddk632583.00
      03-16-2019, 01:09 AM   #2
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Ouch! I have a few tips for anyone planning to install an M Performance spoiler or its RW Carbon clone. (I installed the clone.) Not the complete step-by-step process, but just a few things that might help:

1. Use an eraser wheel to help get most of the old adhesive off, then use isopropyl alcohol or your favorite adhesive remover to take off the rest. I used the Astro 400E because it was cheaper than the 3M wheel. You also need an adapter so it'll fit into your power drill chuck. Huge pain in the ass no matter how you do it.

2. Do not allow the bare carbon of the spoiler to touch the paint of your trunk lid. I tried positioning the spoiler with no tape, and it caused some tiny but very noticeable scratches. I had to buff those out with finishing polish. Just the few ounces of weight caused scratching. Wait until you've put some tape on the spoiler before test-positioning it (with the backing strip still on the tape, of course).

3. Use 3M VHB 5952 (0.5" by 5 yards) tape if you need it. You'll need it if the included tape is too thin or because the spoiler didn't come with any tape. Lookin' at you, RW Carbon.

4. Put two layers of tape on the leading edge of the spoiler if the tape still isn't thick enough. The back edge of the RW Carbon spoiler was almost flat on the bottom, but the leading edge was concave on the bottom. Such a great design.

Hoped this helped.
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 5
      03-16-2019, 02:24 AM   #3
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

I'm going to be doing this install in the near future. Appreciate the tips, both from OP and Bosozoku.

Done it once before and being somewhat OCD, I had masked areas to position the spoiler at the ends and center, but it ended up ever so slightly off center. Maybe 1mm, so not noticeable to most but it is to me. Once I placed it, it stuck pretty quickly so there was no second chance.

Anyone have any tips for proper positioning technique to get it perfectly center?
Appreciate 2
seanyx11234.00
Bosozoku693.50
      03-16-2019, 10:16 AM   #4
seanyx11
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M240i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
I'm going to be doing this install in the near future. Appreciate the tips, both from OP and Bosozoku.

Done it once before and being somewhat OCD, I had masked areas to position the spoiler at the ends and center, but it ended up ever so slightly off center. Maybe 1mm, so not noticeable to most but it is to me. Once I placed it, it stuck pretty quickly so there was no second chance.

Anyone have any tips for proper positioning technique to get it perfectly center?
Yes. Don't fully remove the 3m tape backing before lining it up with your tape markers. Only remove a little from each end to where it sticks out from the sides of the spoiler. Then, when you line it up perfectly, you can press down on each end to kind of "set" it, then slowly remove the 3m backing tape. That's how I saw someone do it on YouTube and it seemed like a great idea to keep from having to get perfect in one shot. Take your time and good luck 🍀
Appreciate 3
ddk632583.00
Bosozoku693.50
      03-17-2019, 03:59 AM   #5
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Another tip I'd add, which I saw the guys do when they put my M Performance spoiler on was to heat up the 3M tape (before peeling it off) with a heat gun, which makes the bond stronger between the boot and the spoiler 👍🏻
FrozenGT1109.00
      01-17-2020, 12:51 PM   #6
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Thx for the tip! I had to do the same with my M4 MP spoiler when I noticed it lifting on the edges. And now I'll do the same for my M2C when my new MP goodies arrive Tuesday!
      01-17-2020, 02:05 PM   #7
Bill in Marin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp, 1974 Alfa GTV

I installed mine about a month back and had a small gap at the very edges. You could slide a paper between the gap but not a credit card. Check my thread, as it has links to some other conversations. It’s apparently a pretty common issue. I’ve decided to leave it for now, but will likely refit it in the next few months.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 03:05 PM   #8
jayg80
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

After having this issue a few times, I came across a thicker 3M tape on Amazon. I wanted a better fit on the final few inches of each side rather than just doubling up 2 pieces of standard thickness 3M tape.

This version is .09" thick vs the standard .045" thickness.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 05:16 PM   #9
spenny_b
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp, HS

Garage List
Just about to install my genuine ///M carbon lip, tomorrow if the weather's good.

The BMW item does come with 3M tape already on the lip, and I've seen the IND install video re only partially removing the backing of the 3M tape, to align correctly.

When I ordered this from the dealer, they also supplied a Dow adhesive kit, "Betalink K1". The official install instructions say to apply this glue to the 2x pads, one at each end. You can see one of them in the OP's first photo, about 6" from the end.

Question - what do most folk do, ignore using the adhesive (likely a silicon type glue?) and just rely on the 3M tape? Or have some people actually used both to ensure a really good bond?

Last edited by spenny_b; 01-19-2020 at 06:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 05:39 PM   #10
seanyx11
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M240i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spenny_b View Post
Just about to install my genuine MPE carbon lip, tomorrow if the weather's good.

The BMW item does come with 3M tape already on the lip, and I've seen the IND install video re only partially removing the backing of the 3M tape, to align correctly.

When I ordered this from the dealer, they also supplied a Dow adhesive kit, "Betalink K1". The official install instructions say to apply this glue to the 2x pads, one at each end. You can see one of them in the OP's first photo, about 6" from the end.

Question - what do most folk do, ignore using the adhesive (likely a silicon type glue?) and just rely on the 3M tape? Or have some people actually used both to ensure a really good bond?
Back when I bought mine last year, they didn't include any betalink glue with mine. I've never used betalink personally, but from what I've heard, it's extremely permanent. It will end up ripping the paint off and/or breaking the spoiler if you ever need to remove it for some reason. So, I would recommend NOT using the betalink.

I would, however, recommend biting the bullet and replacing the existing 3m tape that comes pre-installed with some thicker 3m tape. However, they may have changed the tape thickness since I bought mine almost a year ago, so I'm not sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 06:21 PM   #11
spenny_b
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyx11 View Post
Back when I bought mine last year, they didn't include any betalink glue with mine. I've never used betalink personally, but from what I've heard, it's extremely permanent. It will end up ripping the paint off and/or breaking the spoiler if you ever need to remove it for some reason. So, I would recommend NOT using the betalink.

I would, however, recommend biting the bullet and replacing the existing 3m tape that comes pre-installed with some thicker 3m tape. However, they may have changed the tape thickness since I bought mine almost a year ago, so I'm not sure.
Ok, great, thank you. Yeah, it was the removal part I was worried about in a few years time when the car goes back (unless I buy it outirhg - it's starting to feel like a keeper!)

ETA - just measured the thickness of the 3M tape on my spoiler lip; as accurately as I can measure using my digital vernier on a squashy surface, it's approx 1mm thick.

Last edited by spenny_b; 01-19-2020 at 06:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 04:00 AM   #12
spenny_b
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Just as a follow-up.....

I did install the CF lip yesterday as hoped, and didn't use the Betalink adhesive - there were far more opinions and experiences in various threads saying that it's unnecessary, so I thought I'd give it a go to start with and see how firm it attaches with 3M tape alone. I also thought I'd use the tape that the CF part came with, rather than swap it over, and see how it went.

Once I'd peeled off the old adhesive (and have now rucked-up the skin on my thumb - bloody painful) and spent a good 30mins aligning the new part with masking tape alignment marks, I was happy to then go ahead, but what I did notice is that it's a very fine call between the part being bang-on position and being marginally too close to the rear windscreen, but yet still appearing to be sitting nicely.

When I looked really closely, in the wrong position, you could see where the shallow return lip on the spoiler would prevent the tape from touching down onto the boot lid. A fractional movement and it when had a fingernail thickness gap, meaning the tape was now going to make the first contact, not the CF edge.

Once I cleaned it two or three times and re-checked, time to peel a short section and go for it. I didn't use any 3M adhesive promoter wipes - again, I thought I'd see how it went and address if necessary.

Frankly, it's stuck like you-know-what to a blanket. It feels super strong, so I'm going to go with it and see.

But I think it's wise to remember that these lips are all hand-made (as are all CF parts), so there will be variance between the depth of return lips - tenths of a mm will make all the difference on this part.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2020, 05:02 PM   #13
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Edges of mine don't stick down, have seen it in others photos too.

The very back doesn't stick well too. If I did it again would add more tape as per OP.
It's not going to fall off but bet it could be ripped off in anger/theft quite easily.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 01:20 PM   #14
Hrothgar
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 6MT RWD

Quote:
I just installed my M performance spoiler and the 3m tape that came pre-installed was not thick enough or wide enough to really adhere properly. So, after spending 3 hours removing the stock lip and adhesive, including a trip to Autozone for 3m adhesive remover, I had to remove all the adhesive from the trunk AGAIN!! Plus, I had to remove the adhesive from the spoiler as well, and re-install some thicker, wider 3m tape (which I luckily picked up from Autozone earlier, just in case).

Long story short (I know, too late), anyone planning on installing one of these may want to preemptively remove the installed 3m tape and put on some thicker, wider 3m tape. Everything looks great and fits perfectly with no gaps anywhere, but the original tape was not up to snuff.
I just had the same experience. Used adhesive promoter and taped it down for several hours applying pressure ensuring full contact the whole time. Next day, the entire right side had lifted up. I'll be doing what you did shortly...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 09:46 AM   #15
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Mine's lifting on the edges. Guess I need to go ahead with the thicker 3M tape. :
      05-11-2020, 09:58 PM   #16
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

The temp has to be above 65 degrees to get the 3m tape to really stick. I also used adhesive promoter and put sandbags on the tips overnight. It takes 24h for the tape to set up in temps above 60. That said, I had to take fit and finish to the next level of ocd. You always tend to see a gap on the the sides just because the way the trunk is shaped and the CF spoiler is ridged and won’t bend like the plastic oem painted spoiler.

What I did to get a perfect fit after I did the factory MP tape and adhesive promoter was to add a thin bead of black silicon around the sides and edges.
What you are really trying to do is get a nice bead of silicon between the spoiler and trunk. You can’t put too much in between the spoiler and trunk where you will never see. In fact it is a good idea to get a healthy amount in there as it will bond the spoiler to the trunk better. The product was designed to do just what we are doing. It leaves a strong custom shaped flexible rubber gasket between the two items. It will hold up to stress and any flexing or vibration being pushed down on the spoiler. I worked with the trunk half open so I could really see the crack at directly eye level. Obviously no one gets this view with the trunk down but it will really show any spaces between the spoiler and trunk from the sides and rear.

I cut the tip to the smallest hole. I then pull up /flex the rear of the spoiler and this gives a tiny bit of more room to squirt the silicon into. Then run as much of the silicon in a long bead around the sides and back of the spoiler filling the voids. The bigger the void, the more you want to squirt in there. Then you let the spoiler go and it will squeeze out the excess. Don’t worry about getting all over the paint and CF spoiler as it easily wipes up with a damp rag. I used a lot of damp rags as you are constantly finding a clean spot to wipe across the crack to wipe away and push in the silicon. You will do this until you leave a clean black line of silicon in the space. This not only gives it a cleaner look of no voids but also will hold down the entire area after it dries in 24 hours. You have about 1 hour working time with the silicon so don’t feel rushed. Think of it as a art protect. I didn’t feel clamping it down was what I was after as I just wanted the silicon to fill in the void and adhere the spoiler better. I did the whole entire sides and back of the spoiler. Do it right and the CF spoiler looks like it melts into the trunk without any gaps around the sides or back. The front of the MP spoilers tend to sit tight and perfectly flat against the trunk so no need to fill in any visible voids. I only used 1/2 of the smaller 3oz tubes. I can’t take credit for this idea as another member reported doing this with his. I recommend doing this project 60 degrees or warmer. I also soaked my tube in warm water for 10 minutes before starting to keep the silicon thinner so it flows out that tiny hole like toothpaste.

I purchased mine for under $3 from amazon. Here is the manufactures info:
https://www.permatex.com/products/ad...esive-sealant/

Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

Last edited by MystroX5; 05-13-2020 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 09:44 PM   #17
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spenny_b View Post
Just about to install my genuine MPE carbon lip, tomorrow if the weather's good.

Some additional info for everyone, Betalink is an adhesive not silicon like spenny_b mentioned. Dupont makes two versions K1 & K2. According to the dealer K2 is very permanent. For DYI K1 is preferred b/c it has a long working time and doesn't require the K2 mixing gun.

http://msdssearch.dow.com/PublishedL...romPage=GetDoc
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 02:22 PM   #18
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Removed my MP spoiler this morning. 3M adhesive remover on the trunk, removed adhesive from spoiler, then cut new 3M tape and applied to the spoiler. Looks a whole lot better now than it did, but one side is adhering better than the other. Nothing's perfect.
      05-31-2020, 02:27 PM   #19
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Pics
Attached Images

10-25-2020, 01:18 PM   #20
NorthTexasBimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Purchased an used BMW F30 OEM Carbon Fiber trunk spoiler in perfect condition. Part number 51-71-2-240-832 on back.

Will use 3M adhesive remover and Wonder Wheel to remove any old adhesive. Will prep Surfaces with 3M cleaner and 3M promoter.

Question - in a number of posts I see recommendations to use:
- 3M VHB Tape 4991 - 2.3mm thick foam core
- 3M VHB Tape 5952 - 1.1mm think foam core
- 3M tape but identifier not stated
- 3M tape from Autozone that is not VHB and not foam core
Some folks aftermarket spoilers some folks OEM spoilers. Which of the two tape thicknesses is recommended for an OEM spoiler? I am hoping / guessing the fitment is better with OEM so the thinner of the tape?

1mm about a penny in with.
Attached Images

11-01-2020, 09:53 AM   #21
seanyx11
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M240i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTexasBimmer View Post
Purchased an used BMW F30 OEM Carbon Fiber trunk spoiler in perfect condition. Part number 51-71-2-240-832 on back.

Will use 3M adhesive remover and Wonder Wheel to remove any old adhesive. Will prep Surfaces with 3M cleaner and 3M promoter.

Some folks aftermarket spoilers some folks OEM spoilers. Which of the two tape thicknesses is recommended for an OEM spoiler? I am hoping / guessing the fitment is better with OEM so the thinner of the tape?

I'm not sure which one I used, but it was definitely thicker than what came with the spoiler/lip. If I had to guess, I'd say you need the thicker one, but double check before purchasing because I'm not 100% sure. All I do know for sure is, you don't want the tape to be too thin since it will not actually stick in some of the areas. That's why I had the problem I did. Good luck 👍
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 09:55 AM   #22
NorthTexasBimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTexasBimmer View Post

I'm not sure which one I used, but it was definitely thicker than what came with the spoiler/lip. If I had to guess, I'd say you need the thicker one, but double check before purchasing because I'm not 100% sure. All I do know for sure is, you don't want the tape to be too thin since it will not actually stick in some of the areas. That's why I had the problem I did. Good luck 👍
Thank you.