BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Track Forum General Chit Chat

05-28-2020, 03:14 PM   #155
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

WTF?? That video made my blood boil.

Let's destroy 2 cars and lough about it. Be glad people in Europe can't own guns.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 05:23 PM   #156
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kankles View Post
Let me know if you are in the area and what day/org you have planned. There is a group of us that go on Sunday drives around Holland, Germany and Will be doing TDs all year (Zandvoort is our local track but we're doing Assen and likely Spa and Zolder as well).
Very jealous of you local track selection!

If I get to Zandvoort this year will be part of an endurance race. Was supposed to race at Spa earlier this month but got cancelled

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post

Let's destroy 2 cars and lough about it. Be glad people in Europe can't own guns.
That was pretty freaking crazy. That Z3 looked like it might have been moving pretty slow but the m240ir sure had plenty of time to recognize that and adjust. That just shouldn't happen. Didn't catch the laughing part though?
Appreciate 1
Kankles1484.50
      05-28-2020, 11:51 PM   #157
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Quote:
Let me know if you are in the area and what day/org you have planned. There is a group of us that go on Sunday drives around Holland, Germany and Will be doing TDs all year (Zandvoort is our local track but we're doing Assen and likely Spa and Zolder as well).

If I get to Zandvoort this year will be part of an endurance race. Was supposed to race at Spa earlier this month but got cancelled

Quote:

That was pretty freaking crazy. That Z3 looked like it might have been moving pretty slow but the m240ir sure had plenty of time to recognize that and adjust. That just shouldn't happen. Didn't catch the laughing part though?
Which endurance series is it? I'll keep a eye out and come watch if COVID allows
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 01:12 AM   #158
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Anyone run Zandvoort?
Yes its my home track! Love it! Very sad they modified it for F1 but the new banked curves are a real trip to drive.
      05-29-2020, 01:18 AM   #159
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastieBombRacing View Post
It looks like a desert out there, I thought Dutchland was more of a temperate climate ?
This is in the dunes. If you walk to the west for 5min your in the ocean. NL has a climate like the UK or BC. Here near the coast its super windy though.
      05-29-2020, 01:26 AM   #160
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Guy is also one of NLs most famous race car drivers. The Z3 did brake early but cmon its a trackday with no split among experience. Treat everyone like an idiot and with respect so we can all take our cars home.

The owner of the Z3 was commenting on IG and being pretty chill about it all. Worst thing was that he loaned the car out when it happened.

Quote:

Its not an M240ir but a special car developed by a Dutch racing company. Meant to be faster and cheaper to own/run.

http://www.dayvtec.com/bmw-m240i/

The elevation changes are what make ZV so fun. It also has a good mix of straights, sweeping corners, and tight corners so powerful cars and cornering cars are well balanced.

I think I can get under 2 min with the M2C if I can keep my tires on temp, perfect my lines (not sure what the fastest line through the banked corners is) and dont get crazy traffic.

Most tracks around here are good. Assen is a bit boring from a G load perspective but it is fast and has a lot of runoff area so you are not worried about chucking the car into a corner with a lot of speed.

EDIT if you are going to be here it could be nice to catch up.
      05-29-2020, 05:56 AM   #161
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Which endurance series is it? I'll keep a eye out and come watch if COVID allows
The Creventic 24H Series - but ironically this one is a 12hr race. Not until Nov 13 so hopefully we are pretty back to normal by that time.

When we were supposed to race at Spa the first weekend of May it was going to be my first time in Europe and my wife & I were going to make an extended trip out of it. Thinking this might serve as a good replacement but kind of concerned about the weather. Is November a pretty decent time to visit that region?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
Guy is also one of NLs most famous race car drivers. The Z3 did brake early but cmon its a trackday with no split among experience. Treat everyone like an idiot and with respect so we can all take our cars home.

The owner of the Z3 was commenting on IG and being pretty chill about it all. Worst thing was that he loaned the car out when it happened.

Its not an M240ir but a special car developed by a Dutch racing company. Meant to be faster and cheaper to own/run.

http://www.dayvtec.com/bmw-m240i/

The elevation changes are what make ZV so fun. It also has a good mix of straights, sweeping corners, and tight corners so powerful cars and cornering cars are well balanced.

I think I can get under 2 min with the M2C if I can keep my tires on temp, perfect my lines (not sure what the fastest line through the banked corners is) and dont get crazy traffic.

Most tracks around here are good. Assen is a bit boring from a G load perspective but it is fast and has a lot of runoff area so you are not worried about chucking the car into a corner with a lot of speed.

EDIT if you are going to be here it could be nice to catch up.
Exactly - it's a track day - that kind of stuff shouldn't happen. Wasn't like he came around a blind corner and the Z3 was sitting in the middle of the track dead in the water or anything like that. That whole mess sucks for the Z3 guy.

That's what the track seemed like from a sim perspective. Just had a really cool flow to it - glad to hear that holds up in the real world. I could see on a TD that trains could be an issue with a lot of cars out there.

I'll give y'all a shout if we end up going. Some pretty awesome cars in that series. I would be in a lower class in a M2 CS Racing - but they run up to GT3 class cars.
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      05-29-2020, 07:24 AM   #162
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
The Creventic 24H Series - but ironically this one is a 12hr race. Not until Nov 13 so hopefully we are pretty back to normal by that time.

When we were supposed to race at Spa the first weekend of May it was going to be my first time in Europe and my wife & I were going to make an extended trip out of it. Thinking this might serve as a good replacement but kind of concerned about the weather. Is November a pretty decent time to visit that region?

Exactly - it's a track day - that kind of stuff shouldn't happen. Wasn't like he came around a blind corner and the Z3 was sitting in the middle of the track dead in the water or anything like that. That whole mess sucks for the Z3 guy.

That's what the track seemed like from a sim perspective. Just had a really cool flow to it - glad to hear that holds up in the real world. I could see on a TD that trains could be an issue with a lot of cars out there.

I'll give y'all a shout if we end up going. Some pretty awesome cars in that series. I would be in a lower class in a M2 CS Racing - but they run up to GT3 class cars.
How does the CS racing compare to your track toy OG?

Track has a great flow only interrupted by the 90 degree right hander into the Audi S corner. Just the slowest point really.

November is not a nice time, its cold, moist, dark, and rainy. I would postpone any holiday till April/May. South EU is better but still not the same as summer obv.
Kankles1484.50
      05-29-2020, 09:17 AM   #163
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
How does the CS racing compare to your track toy OG?

Track has a great flow only interrupted by the 90 degree right hander into the Audi S corner. Just the slowest point really.

November is not a nice time, its cold, moist, dark, and rainy. I would postpone any holiday till April/May. South EU is better but still not the same as summer obv.
Thank you for the heads up on the weather in Nov - that's exactly what I was worried about. The trip earlier this month sounds like it would have been perfect timing. Oh well.

So the CS Racing has not been released yet. The team I was going to race with at Spa was actually supposed to be taking delivery of the first customer car from BMW a bit before the race. The TCR 500 looked to be the first customer race in one. They are now hoping to take delivery in around a month but apparently the communication from BMW hasn't been great. I assume BMW is just like the rest of us right now - day to day on everything. I have started looking into one for me personally - BMWNA is anticipating US deliveries to start in September.

I do expect the the CS Racing to be a nice step up from the M240iR - which isn't a bad little car - not great but not awful either. Moving to the S55 & DCT ought to make a nice improvement & hopefully the diff is improved. The M240iR vs my OG M2 - it's kind of what you would expect the difference to be. A bit lighter, stiffer, better track suspension are apparent. The ZF auto is blah, but it is an easy to control car much like the M2. The N55 is what it is... Sounds like they expect the M2 CS Racing to be significantly faster & hopefully that is not just a product of a higher HP option.
Appreciate 1
Kankles1484.50
      05-29-2020, 11:07 AM   #164
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
OG

"The Creventic 24H Series - but ironically this one is a 12hr race. Not until Nov 13 so hopefully we are pretty back to normal by that time. "

Hope you make it over, we sometimes get decent weather in the late fall but as Megator said, don't count on it. Keep us updated!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 03:02 PM   #165
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
OG

"The Creventic 24H Series - but ironically this one is a 12hr race. Not until Nov 13 so hopefully we are pretty back to normal by that time. "

Hope you make it over, we sometimes get decent weather in the late fall but as Megator said, don't count on it. Keep us updated!
Hmmm, not sure that is the best choice for my first trip over there then. Might be better just to reset for 2021 & try to get over there during the spring. Definitely want to make it into an extended trip and see as much as possible while there.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 03:14 PM   #166
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
OG

Hmmm, not sure that is the best choice for my first trip over there then. Might be better just to reset for 2021 & try to get over there during the spring. Definitely want to make it into an extended trip and see as much as possible while there.
That's a good plan. Just don't make the classic mistake of trying to see too much in one trip (like Europeans that want to see the entire west coast in a week along with Vegas)
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 07:19 PM   #167
243Racing
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

First 2020 track day down. Time trial battle with another M2. Took home first both days

Appreciate 5
mcvaughan702.00
PLF693762.50
5.M0NSTER3353.50
OG Shark4656.00
Megator517.50
      05-31-2020, 10:12 PM   #168
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c

Quote:
The team I was going to race with at Spa ...
Whoa what???? I step away from this thread and you're racing at Spa?!?! Thats amazing.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 07:40 AM   #169
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Is anybody running a 10” wheel up front with 275s?

Apex says they’ll fit but I test fit my 18x10 TA5rs With 275/35/18 R888’s on it and when I turned the wheel the tires were rubbing on the front fender liner. Will I have to trim that back?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 08:36 AM   #170
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
First 2020 track day down. Time trial battle with another M2. Took home first both days

Congratulations on the weekend, and good driving!

But how do you reach the pedals?

Appreciate 2
243Racing1447.50
OG Shark4656.00
      06-01-2020, 08:49 AM   #171
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Congratulations on the weekend, and good driving!

But how do you reach the pedals?
Ha!!

The driving wasn't so good. Even with the upgraded pads (DTC60) and stickier/wider tires (R888R) I was still only 0.6 second better than my previous best on all stock equipment. Starting to work through the analysis of why I was so slow.

But, it was a great competition with a similar car. He has a DCT and full Dinan big turbo build, but is still running on PS4S's.
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      06-01-2020, 08:57 AM   #172
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ha!!

The driving wasn't so good. Even with the upgraded pads (DTC60) and stickier/wider tires (R888R) I was still only 0.6 second better than my previous best on all stock equipment. Starting to work through the analysis of why I was so slow.

But, it was a great competition with a similar car. He has a DCT and full Dinan big turbo build, but is still running on PS4S's.
Do you have power mods on your M2, or is it mostly handling/brakes/cooling/safety?

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 09:06 AM   #173
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Do you have power mods on your M2, or is it mostly handling/brakes/cooling/safety?
Full current mod list is:
aFe Filter
Swift M4 springs
hawk DTC60 pads
wider R888Rs (255/275)
GTS coding (Diff, MDM, EPS)

The wheel/tire combo is a difference of about 15 lbs overall, I've got the back seat out but no other weight reduction. I was going to pull the passenger seat but decided not to.

I have plenty of room in my class to make more power and use more tire, but I should be faster on this setup.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 09:15 AM   #174
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Full current mod list is:
aFe Filter
Swift M4 springs
hawk DTC60 pads
wider R888Rs (255/275)
GTS coding (Diff, MDM, EPS)

The wheel/tire combo is a difference of about 15 lbs overall, I've got the back seat out but no other weight reduction. I was going to pull the passenger seat but decided not to.

I have plenty of room in my class to make more power and use more tire, but I should be faster on this setup.
Was it your firs time running on R888Rs?

I was expecting to gain ~2s first time I went out on Hankook Ventus RS-3s. I was only about 0.4s faster, and they felt greasy. But on the following outing the heat cycle was complete, and I picked up another 1.5s.

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 09:22 AM   #175
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Was it your firs time running on R888Rs?

I was expecting to gain ~2s first time I went out on Hankook Ventus RS-3s. I was only about 0.4s faster, and they felt greasy. But on the following outing the heat cycle was complete, and I picked up another 1.5s.
Yes, it was.

Back in October I did a 1:59.7x

First day out I did a 1:59.1x

Second day out I only managed a 1:59.4x but worth noting it was about 10-15 degrees warmer.

The other driver actually did a 1:58.1 yesterday but later on in the session he had a 4 off so the session was DQ'd. He didn't do any better than a 1:59.4 in any other session.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 09:29 AM   #176
JoeP
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Is anybody running a 10” wheel up front with 275s?

Apex says they’ll fit but I test fit my 18x10 TA5rs With 275/35/18 R888’s on it and when I turned the wheel the tires were rubbing on the front fender liner. Will I have to trim that back?
What backspacing for the wheel? Are you using a spacer, if so how big? What camber are you running?
Appreciate 0