BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Should I get my FE module replaced?

02-20-2021, 08:15 PM   #1
rjpiston
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition 6MT

Should I get my FE module replaced?

My 2019 m2c is still under warranty. It has a few things coded with bimmercode; Mirrors fold on lock, disable asd, and disabled rev matching.

I brought my car in for the free oil change and service and they noticed a fault code with the FE module, which is the module that controls the features that were switched. They first got tripped up by the change in engine start procedure when you disable rev matching. There were no check engine lights that came on, apparently this fault code is something else that shows up on their diag tools.

They've ordered a new one and requested they replace it at no cost. It'll obviously overwrite the features to stock but I'm wondering should I bother getting the new module or not?

Last edited by rjpiston; 02-22-2021 at 12:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 08:31 PM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
If you can code your car, there is no downside to getting the module replaced.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 12:35 PM   #3
msdss
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2020 BMW M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
other than some worthless cunts digging into your car and breaking shit.

#fuckalldealerships
Appreciate 1
Brandt51887.50
      02-21-2021, 06:23 PM   #4
aftercorbu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C, 20 S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdss View Post

#fuckalldealerships
What are your thoughts about dealership service?
      02-21-2021, 06:42 PM   #5
Pilot-Z
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post

#fuckalldealerships
Tell us how you really feel...
Appreciate 1
admranger2984.50
      02-22-2021, 12:05 AM   #6
msdss
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftercorbu View Post
What are your thoughts about dealership service?
Man.. So many horrible experiences.
At.Every.Single.Dealership.
Every.Single.Time.
Without.Fail.

They are all the same.
Smiles, handshakes, and reassurance from the service advisor.
But the same fucking cunt kid takes the keys after you walk out of the room.

I could rant for days about my horrible experiences, but neither of us have time for that...

Just last month I took my E46 in for a simple battery swap, I tell them it's due for rod bearings and that its not to be driven anywhere except to and from the bay... I get it back with 10 more miles on the clock. They hit another car with it. they tried to wash / buff the white paint off of my fucking blue car so I wouldn't notice. Then denied everything. Brilliant. Fuck every last one of them.

So yeah... I have strong feelings about dealership service.
Appreciate 6
Poochie9104.50
natmad667.00
Mark 1M348.50
admranger2984.50
Brandt51887.50
Venom375.00
      02-22-2021, 12:06 AM   #7
msdss
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot-Z View Post
Tell us how you really feel...
Aint no body got time for that.
Appreciate 1
Brandt51887.50
      02-22-2021, 01:10 AM   #8
dkr
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: an M car.

Quote:
Just last month I took my E46 in for a simple battery swap, I tell them it's due for rod bearings and that its not to be driven anywhere except to and from the bay... I get it back with 10 more miles on the clock. They hit another car with it. they tried to wash / buff the white paint off of my fucking blue car so I wouldn't notice. Then denied everything. Brilliant. Fuck every last one of them.

First thing I thought of reading this...

That's not my car anymore. That's your car now!!!
Appreciate 4
Poochie9104.50
admranger2984.50
Brandt51887.50
ROASTM163.50
      02-22-2021, 08:11 AM   #9
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

You're going to have them replace a module which you know is fine and only showing a fault code because you changed some parameters. I couldn't in good conscious do that.

In addition to being a waste of time, money and resources there is always the chance something else will happen as a result.
Appreciate 2
Steelguin651.00
Poochie9104.50
      02-22-2021, 09:03 AM   #10
rjpiston
Enlisted Member
Rep

They kept insisting to change the fe module. I asked if I could get the codes switched back to stock could they test the module for the fault code again but they said they couldn't do that. They have to replace it or don't replace it and if anything goes wrong I won't be covered under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 09:12 AM   #11
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpiston View Post
They kept insisting to change the fe module. I asked if I could get the codes switched back to stock could they test the module for the fault code again but they said they couldn't do that. They have to replace it or don't replace it and if anything goes wrong I won't be covered under warranty.
By removing the coding for the auto rev-matching, you've disabled the clutch position sensor, which is causing the vehicle to throw an error.

The dealer really doesn't need to replace the FEM, just uploaded the latest firmware and the vehicle will programming will revert back to the factory beginnings, prior to the coding.

But it's there time and resources, so I'll let them figure it out for themselves..
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      02-22-2021, 09:50 AM   #12
Steelguin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HHS/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
You're going to have them replace a module which you know is fine and only showing a fault code because you changed some parameters. I couldn't in good conscious do that.

In addition to being a waste of time, money and resources there is always the chance something else will happen as a result.
Di%$ move for sure.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 11:42 AM   #13
rjpiston
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
By removing the coding for the auto rev-matching, you've disabled the clutch position sensor, which is causing the vehicle to throw an error.

The dealer really doesn't need to replace the FEM, just uploaded the latest firmware and the vehicle will programming will revert back to the factory beginnings, prior to the coding.

But it's there time and resources, so I'll let them figure it out for themselves..
They changed the clutch position sensor already, but said the fault code still showed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelguin View Post
Di%$ move for sure.
Trust me, I tried to get them to not replace it and check it after i get the codes reverted but they refused. they even mentioned that it could put a mark on my vin if I needed any additional warranty work.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 12:19 PM   #14
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpiston View Post
Quote:

They changed the clutch position sensor already, but said the fault code still showed up.
Well duh, that was waste of resources; there wasn't anything wrong with your original sensor; you've just disable its functionality by altering the original coding parameters, therefore the vehicle is sensing something is mismatch in the programming, thus, assuming there is a defective and displaying an error code.

This is the result from simple of faulty check values from what the coded, they simple need to reprogram the entire vehicle and I'm positive that all the errors will clear. I've messed around with disabling the auto rev-matching before and experienced similar symptoms to what you are encountering.

If the FEM was bad, most of the vehicle major functions would not work, like the windows or all of the front lighting.

I can't believe I can armchair diagnose this issue, while sitting in traffic and dealer just keeping spinning their wheels, by replacing everything under the hood. But whatever, if it's free, let them do their thing and pad the bill and just you go do donuts in their loaner car..
Appreciate 3
BigKutta3903.50
Brandt51887.50
cptobvious2531.50
      02-23-2021, 03:36 PM   #15
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Dealers get paid by BMW to fix stuff if they follow diagnostic processes.

The dealer doesn't give a shit about your car or common sense or actually fixing it, just getting paid, several times if possible, that's all.

Your coding has disabled clutch sensor reading, if they recoded the car it would fix it, but they don't get paid for that because that is not on the ISTA diagnostic path.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      02-23-2021, 04:10 PM   #16
rjpiston
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Dealers get paid by BMW to fix stuff if they follow diagnostic processes.

The dealer doesn't give a shit about your car or common sense or actually fixing it, just getting paid, several times if possible, that's all.

Your coding has disabled clutch sensor reading, if they recoded the car it would fix it, but they don't get paid for that because that is not on the ISTA diagnostic path.
Ya that's what the service advisor I spoke with basically said. I don't want a ding on my vin in case I need any more warranty work done, I still have 20k kms left. So, against my wishes, I'll let them replace the module for free and I'll get the car coded again, and then revert them back before I go for my 75k kms service.
Appreciate 1
Brandt51887.50
      02-23-2021, 08:12 PM   #17
Brandt51
Flavor of the month
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW F87  [9.50]
So the lesson for Bimmer Code stuff is to revert it all back to stock for service, then re-code back to your preferences?

Does that sound legit? I haven't done any Bimmer code stuff, so I don't know if it's a pain in the ass. Swapping tunes through OBDII on diesel trucks takes 15+ minutes, but it's pretty cut and dry. And still annoys me. Bimmer stuff that easy and fast?
2020 F87 M2 Comp
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 12:40 PM   #18
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandt51 View Post
So the lesson for Bimmer Code stuff is to revert it all back to stock for service, then re-code back to your preferences?

Does that sound legit? I haven't done any Bimmer code stuff, so I don't know if it's a pain in the ass. Swapping tunes through OBDII on diesel trucks takes 15+ minutes, but it's pretty cut and dry. And still annoys me. Bimmer stuff that easy and fast?
If you're using an iPhone and have a proper iCloud backup, I can personally confirm that you have nothing to worry about.

iCloud saves all Bimmercode backups, onto their server, even if you swap phones. I've changed phones like 10 times last year alone and all my backups, with their said time-stamps, are all there and I can revert back to any changes I need to, from day one of using Bimmercode.

And yes, I've done a lot of mods for my friends and myself and by a country mile, opting for the Bimmercode APP is the best $27 I ever spent; they really did earn their keeps in value.

I'm not sure why the OP didn't just upload the original backup but you know, it's the internet, so I expect that I probably wouldn't get the full story. I'm just putting the pieces together with whatever is available.
Appreciate 3
Brandt51887.50
MikeD943.00
cptobvious2531.50
      02-26-2021, 09:16 AM   #19
rjpiston
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure why the OP didn't just upload the original backup but you know, it's the internet, so I expect that I probably wouldn't get the full story. I'm just putting the pieces together with whatever is available.
In hindsight I should have been more aware and reverted the codes to stock. That's definitely on me. From what I've read from other people who have coded their cars it wasn't a problem bringing it to the dealer. And i had no idea of any fault codes since the check engine light never came on. Lesson learned and I get a free module out of it, albeit reluctantly.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 09:40 AM   #20
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

There's 1000's of fault codes that will come up without a CEL / MIL. Only the important things that YOU, the driver, need to know about so you take it in will give a CEL.

You need to check and reset fault logs every time before taking to the dealers if you are coding / mapping. The fault logs will still be there anyway even if you revert the coding, and others from the past, unless you have diganostics tools to reset them.

A few coding changes can leave dozens of fault logged which if the dealer is fussy they won't like and could bust warranty if its related to a faulty part.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 11:20 AM   #21
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Man.. So many horrible experiences.
At.Every.Single.Dealership.
Every.Single.Time.
Without.Fail.

They are all the same.
Smiles, handshakes, and reassurance from the service advisor.
But the same fucking cunt kid takes the keys after you walk out of the room.

I could rant for days about my horrible experiences, but neither of us have time for that...

The moral to this story is ALWAYS do a walk around video of the car body and wheels while parked in their dealership. Don't forget to include the odometer in the video and make sure they know that you've made one. They take my car out for a joyride every chance they get. I won't leave my car at the stealership anymore. I watch them like a hawk. The thing is if you have a manual they can actually do real damage to your car.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 11:35 AM   #22
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
The moral to this story is ALWAYS do a walk around video of the car body and wheels while parked in their dealership. Don't forget to include the odometer in the video and make sure they know that you've made one. They take my car out for a joyride every chance they get. I won't leave my car at the stealership anymore. I watch them like a hawk. The thing is if you have a manual they can actually do real damage to your car.
My dealer records a video walk around of the car
Appreciate 0