BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Injector Upgrade

03-02-2022, 10:16 PM   #1
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Big Turbo BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Looking to replace my fuel injectors and was wondering if it's worth spend the extra money for upgraded ones. I'm currently running a big turbo setup with a borgwarner 8374 turbo (21psi), dorch stage 2 hpfp, and on 93 pump gas, pushing 535whp. I don't think I will be running ethanol but figured if I'm in the middle of needing them replaced, why not upgrade them to better ones. I'm currently looking to do either the EU5 or Nostrum stage 1.

I saw people saying that the EU5 have 15% better flow rate while Nostrum claims to have better flow rate with 33% and someone else stating:

S63 EU5 = 903 g/m (15.05 g/s)
Nostrum = 867 g/m (14.45 g/s)

Does anyone have any insight to this or experience with Nostrum stage 1 injectors ? As well, what benefits would I be looking at when upgrading ? would it just make the hpfp work less harder and deliver better fuel flow ?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 01:32 PM   #2
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a car

Discuss w your tuner. They will know whats best for your setup but basically just like the other components in the fuel system, you eventually run into bottlenecks.

I can only speak for myself but with my car, running an upgraded fuel pump(FBO/PS2), its now the injectors themselves that can only flow a given amount so I'm limited to approximately E55ish. Any more ethanol and the injectors cant flow the required amount of fuel. Regardless of how much pressure the hpfp pushes.
Appreciate 1
shaneguags1192.50
      03-03-2022, 01:58 PM   #3
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 (LBB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneguags View Post
Looking to replace my fuel injectors and was wondering if it's worth spend the extra money for upgraded ones. I'm currently running a big turbo setup with a borgwarner 8374 turbo (21psi), dorch stage 2 hpfp, and on 93 pump gas, pushing 535whp. I don't think I will be running ethanol but figured if I'm in the middle of needing them replaced, why not upgrade them to better ones. I'm currently looking to do either the EU5 or Nostrum stage 1.

I saw people saying that the EU5 have 15% better flow rate while Nostrum claims to have better flow rate with 33% and someone else stating:

Does anyone have any insight to this or experience with Nostrum stage 1 injectors ? As well, what benefits would I be looking at when upgrading ? would it just make the hpfp work less harder and deliver better fuel flow ?
The order goes:

Nostrum Stage 1 -> S63 EU5 -> Nostrum Stage 2 -> Nostrum Stage 3

Only your tuner can tell you if you're bottlenecked by the injectors. But if you want to upgrade, you'll probably want the S63 EU5s or the Nostrum Stage 2s for the sake of future proofing, leaning toward Nostrum. Both offer lifetime warranties (Assuming you order the EU5s from FCP Euro).
Speedtech Stage 3 (8474) | Remus Exhaust | Wagner EVO 3 | XClutch | DS2 + Lift Kit | Nostrum S2 Injectors | TI E5LM | Torqbyte EKP | Intrax 1K2 | SPL | Drexler GT Race Light LSD by limitedslip.de | Schirmer Diff Lift Kit

Full E85 DI-Only 717WHP Flex Fuel tuned by BendCalibration (ECUTek) | Built by SD Garage
Appreciate 1
shaneguags1192.50
      03-03-2022, 02:20 PM   #4
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Eidos View Post
Quote:

The order goes:

Only your tuner can tell you if you're bottlenecked by the injectors. But if you want to upgrade, you'll probably want the S63 EU5s or the Nostrum Stage 2s for the sake of future proofing, leaning toward Nostrum. Both offer lifetime warranties (Assuming you order the EU5s from FCP Euro).
I didn't order any yet but I see Nostrum stage 1s for sale so I was curious in getting those. I don't think stage 2 will be needed as I am not looking to push above 600whp
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 02:22 PM   #5
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Quote:

The order goes:

when talking to Nostrum they claim the coding process much easier in comparison to the EU5. my turner doesn't think it's a bad idea if I want to run ethanol but I don't think I plan to. when speaking on the phone to Nostrum, they said it would help on high peak power and perform better with 93, given that it seems like a no brainer to just spend a little extra
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 03:10 PM   #6
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 (LBB)

Quote:
I didn't order any yet but I see Nostrum stage 1s for sale so I was curious in getting those. I don't think stage 2 will be needed as I am not looking to push above 600whp
I mean if you really wanted to, I don't see how it would hurt! Just make sure your tuner is able to integrate it with your tune nicely.
Speedtech Stage 3 (8474) | Remus Exhaust | Wagner EVO 3 | XClutch | DS2 + Lift Kit | Nostrum S2 Injectors | TI E5LM | Torqbyte EKP | Intrax 1K2 | SPL | Drexler GT Race Light LSD by limitedslip.de | Schirmer Diff Lift Kit

Full E85 DI-Only 717WHP Flex Fuel tuned by BendCalibration (ECUTek) | Built by SD Garage
Appreciate 1
shaneguags1192.50
      03-03-2022, 03:18 PM   #7
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Quote:
I mean if you really wanted to, I don't see how it would hurt! Just make sure your tuner is able to integrate it with your tune nicely.
yea I'm just doing it since it's only like $100 more and in my case it seems like it would only benefit me. the great thing with them too is that they come with coding instructions that will be sent over directly to my turner, so the process is fairly simple
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 03:24 PM   #8
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2OG View Post
Discuss w your tuner. They will know whats best for your setup but basically just like the other components in the fuel system, you eventually run into bottlenecks.

I can only speak for myself but with my car, running an upgraded fuel pump(FBO/PS2), its now the injectors themselves that can only flow a given amount so I'm limited to approximately E55ish. Any more ethanol and the injectors cant flow the required amount of fuel. Regardless of how much pressure the hpfp pushes.
turner thinks it wouldn't hurt to upgrade but isn't necessary. I think I'm just going to do it just in case I switch my mind and want to mess with ethanol down the road. by the sounds of it, I should be fine though not running ethanol and potentially get better power output on the top end. also, the Nostrum injectors are revisioned OEM injectors as what I was told from Nostrum over the phone. they should be just like the OEM EU5 ones with potentially slightly more flow and easier install with the coding
Appreciate 1
M2OG400.00
      03-17-2022, 10:23 AM   #9
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
update : just received this from Dorch engineering. I think I'm sticking with stock EU6 to remove headaches
Attached Images

Appreciate 0