BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Once they go black...

03-16-2021, 02:31 PM   #23
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2, 335is, X5 M50i

Completely overheating! Your rotors are toast too! The RLS29s are a great pad though are known to be on the harsher side, and generate a lot of heat. I am sure your braking technique could use some fine tuning as well.

Once pads (ie pads used hard on a track) get to 40% or so remaining. They cannot dissipate the heat well, especially this pad. I change my pads at around 40%, the brakes just overheat and "fall fast". You might want to try PFC08s, they are similar to RLS29s in feel and longevity. Yet are not as harsh on OEM rotors. You definitely need new rotors too! The cracking like that is a sign of major heat abuse.

I get about 35 days out of front rotors and my rears have around 55 days now, still good. Then again, I brake like a whimp so. I run PFC11s, which do not generate the heat levels of 08s and 29s but last half as long.
CrashFL137.50
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      03-16-2021, 04:49 PM   #24
CrashFL
M2 Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

My last 8 days have been on COTA, and it's hard on brakes. I definitely have room for improvement on my braking technique, which is tough on brakes compounded by the fact that I brake very late. Also, I feel like I've plateaued a little in my driving advancement, so I could probably benefit from instructed sessions.

As for the front rotors, I thought I might replace them with Girodisc, but ended up moving to the AP Racing BBK. Those will be on in the next couple weeks, and I need to replace the brand-new RE-71Rs that I flat-spotted in the slide. Whew. Crazy hobby. I considered just bypassing track days and setting stacks of cash on fire instead, but it seemed way too safe.
bentom2335.50
OG Shark4692.50
      03-16-2021, 07:16 PM   #25
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashFL View Post
I considered just bypassing track days and setting stacks of cash on fire instead, but it seemed way too safe.
Maybe trying burning it in your living room, surrounded by Dixie cups filled with gasoline, and rabid, man-eating jackels in your yard?
Appreciate 4
bentom2335.50
OG Shark4692.50
CrashFL137.50
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      03-17-2021, 08:30 AM   #26
blitzyo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 19' M2C

This reminds me of when I tried to brake as late as possible on my shiny new ds3.12 and ap racing kit, just to try them out. The heat turned my black disc hats to golden brown in one session.

These pads are almost silent against the j hook discs, but are pretty hardcore. Hope the discs last.
Appreciate 1
CrashFL137.50
      03-17-2021, 02:31 PM   #27
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My last 8 days have been on COTA, and it's hard on brakes. I definitely have room for improvement on my braking technique, which is tough on brakes compounded by the fact that I brake very late. Also, I feel like I've plateaued a little in my driving advancement, so I could probably benefit from instructed sessions.

As for the front rotors, I thought I might replace them with Girodisc, but ended up moving to the AP Racing BBK. Those will be on in the next couple weeks, and I need to replace the brand-new RE-71Rs that I flat-spotted in the slide. Whew. Crazy hobby. I considered just bypassing track days and setting stacks of cash on fire instead, but it seemed way too safe.
Haha, I had a hunch that COTA would be hard on brakes.

I think the AP kit is a very good call, I might do the same at some point. Please keep us updated!
CrashFL137.50
      03-17-2021, 10:15 PM   #28
CrashFL
M2 Pilot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzyo View Post
This reminds me of when I tried to brake as late as possible on my shiny new ds3.12 and ap racing kit, just to try them out. The heat turned my black disc hats to golden brown in one session.

These pads are almost silent against the j hook discs, but are pretty hardcore. Hope the discs last.
Is that still the setup you're running? I'm really looking for brakes that can take a little abuse and still stop the car. Longevity and brake feel are a bonus.

But if the brakes don't stop you, something will.
      03-17-2021, 11:32 PM   #29
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2joey View Post
Haha, I had a hunch that COTA would be hard on brakes.

I think the AP kit is a very good call, I might do the same at some point. Please keep us updated!
COTA is definitely hard on brakes, and transmissions, and wallets...

But its worth it

Quote:
Is that still the setup you're running? I'm really looking for brakes that can take a little abuse and still stop the car. Longevity and brake feel are a bonus.

They can take plenty of abuse, don't worry about that. They hold up strong on my M3 piggy and feel like we put them through a pretty decent amount of abuse. The M2 doesn't get quite the abuse the M3 does but they have still performed great on them as well. And going to run them exactly as is when the M2 is ready to run in endurance races (hopefully later this year).

Quote:

Ah c'mon that's like a badge of honor - you don't want them looking like you never use them right

Appreciate 1
CrashFL137.50
      03-18-2021, 04:08 AM   #30
blitzyo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

You can abuse these, but if you keep going into ABS and braking super late when it's not needed pads like these will crack j hook discs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post

Ah c'mon that's like a badge of honor - you don't want them looking like you never use them right

Yep they look way better now, but apf404 (ds2500 equiv) didn't discolor the hats over 4 track days, the ds3.12 did it over a few laps.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 11:56 AM   #31
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
COTA is definitely hard on brakes, and transmissions, and wallets...

But its worth it

They can take plenty of abuse, don't worry about that. They hold up strong on my M3 piggy and feel like we put them through a pretty decent amount of abuse. The M2 doesn't get quite the abuse the M3 does but they have still performed great on them as well. And going to run them exactly as is when the M2 is ready to run in endurance races (hopefully later this year).

COTA is on my list!! Love COTA, been there for F1 a few times and MotoGP. Also raced COTA a number of times in iRacing.
CrashFL137.50
      03-18-2021, 01:55 PM   #32
KHAP13
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:

Do you have a picture?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 08:02 AM   #33
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2joey View Post
COTA is on my list!! Love COTA, been there for F1 a few times and MotoGP. Also raced COTA a number of times in iRacing.
It's a lot of fun on track too, definitely worth making it out there at least once. Even better than on iRacing!
Appreciate 2
M2joey299.50
CrashFL137.50
      03-27-2021, 03:32 PM   #34
blitzyo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHAP13 View Post
Do you have a picture?
Yep
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
KHAP1364.00
      04-05-2021, 08:05 PM   #35
OG Shark
Rep

Think we can all agree this is a major improvement!!!
Appreciate 3
H20neun114.00
mcvaughan704.00
CrashFL137.50
      04-07-2021, 11:20 PM   #36
CrashFL
M2 Pilot
United_States
Rep

Quote:

And the new ones are already black... so that's gonna save some time

Seriously, though, the car feels amazing. Can't wait to get it out on track!