BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Aftermarket EDC damper / coilover options?

09-28-2023, 08:20 PM   #1
Aeko
Private
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C, 01 M5

Aftermarket EDC damper / coilover options?

I have an M2 Comp I retrofitted EDC in to and figured this might be the best place to post this question.

The area I live in has extremely crappy roads and the stock M2 Comp suspension is poorly suited to handling even the moderate roads. I'm wanting to replace the OEM dampers with something that in Comfort mode will handle bad roads well, and ideally in Sport+ will be a bit firmer but not by much. The road quality also leads me to want to keep the stock ride height if possible, so most of the coilover options are low on the list.

So far what I've turned up from doing some research are the following:

-Bilstein B4 Damptronic + Stock Springs
-Evolve / Bilstein B6 Damptronic + MSS springs (or stock)
-Bilstein B16 Damptronic Coilovers
-KW DDC F82 set
-KW DDC ECU F87 set (won't work directly with EDC, so I am not wanting to go with this one)

Does anyone have experience with most or all of these and can tell me which might best suit what I'm looking for? I'm leaning towards the Evolve setup.

Last edited by Aeko; 09-28-2023 at 10:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 08:49 PM   #2
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

I spoke to Evolve about this kit. I think for a street only car, this it the best set up. I will likely be doing this in the spring. Feel free to be the first so I can be sure though...

-Evolve / Bilstein B6 Damptronic + MSS springs
      09-28-2023, 08:51 PM   #3
Aeko
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3R1 View Post
I spoke to Evolve about this kit. I think for a street only car, this it the best set up. I will likely be doing this in the spring. Feel free to be the first so I can be sure though...

-Evolve / Bilstein B6 Damptronic + MSS springs
Of course!
Appreciate 1
M3R12168.50
      09-28-2023, 09:55 PM   #4
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeko View Post
Of course!
If you wait long enough, you can read my review...
      09-29-2023, 05:16 PM   #5
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

As someone who has spent about $10,000 on suspension modifications on an M2C, I'll admit that the OEM M2 CS setup is more well-rounded. I have the Ohlins TTX dampers with the softest spring rates that the shocks will accommodate. The Ohlins are a bit more capable than the CS OEM suspension, but they also ride harsher and transmit more vibration.

BMW judged the M2 CS EDC suspension correctly for a dual-duty street/track car. If I were to modify my M2C all over again, I would use the M2 CS OEM dampers with camber correction hubs instead of the Ohlins and Vorshlag plates.

Have you considered changing the front brakes to AP Racing 5000R (or similar) and swapping out the 19" wheels for 18" wheels? I believe going down 1" in wheel diameter improved the ride a lot more than changing the dampers.
Appreciate 1
M3R12168.50
      09-29-2023, 07:33 PM   #6
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Nitron has their elec-TRON kit that will work with edc coming out very soon and we have one of the first kits heading our way. We are going to dial them in for the F87 like with did with their R1 & R3 kits. With how good the other kits turned out I fully expect these to be phenomenal as well. Not exactly sure how much range to expect from them yet until we get our hands on them - but I do know we will one way or the other we will have something in the street range for sure.
Appreciate 1
M3R12168.50
      09-29-2023, 07:53 PM   #7
Aeko
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
As someone who has spent about $10,000 on suspension modifications on an M2C, I'll admit that the OEM M2 CS setup is more well-rounded. I have the Ohlins TTX dampers with the softest spring rates that the shocks will accommodate. The Ohlins are a bit more capable than the CS OEM suspension, but they also ride harsher and transmit more vibration.

BMW judged the M2 CS EDC suspension correctly for a dual-duty street/track car. If I were to modify my M2C all over again, I would use the M2 CS OEM dampers with camber correction hubs instead of the Ohlins and Vorshlag plates.

Have you considered changing the front brakes to AP Racing 5000R (or similar) and swapping out the 19" wheels for 18" wheels? I believe going down 1" in wheel diameter improved the ride a lot more than changing the dampers.
Hmmm, this is food for thought. I do already have a set of OE EDC rears because it was cheaper to buy those than the acceleration sensors by themselves. I just need fronts, and it wouldn't be too much to spring for just a set of fronts. Maybe someone has a set of take-offs I can pick up cheap just to test. I'm just not a fan of buying the "same thing" multiple times just to find what works, if possible.

I haven't just because I really enjoy how the stock brakes perform. Maybe once I wear out these pads and rotors I might consider it! Are you saying you went with different brakes to go 18s?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 08:00 PM   #8
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

Quote:
Hmmm, this is food for thought. I do already have a set of OE EDC rears because it was cheaper to buy those than the acceleration sensors by themselves. I just need fronts, and it wouldn't be too much to spring for just a set of fronts. Maybe someone has a set of take-offs I can pick up cheap just to test. I'm just not a fan of buying the "same thing" multiple times just to find what works, if possible.

I haven't just because I really enjoy how the stock brakes perform. Maybe once I wear out these pads and rotors I might consider it! Are you saying you went with different brakes to go 18s?
Correct. The 2NH brakes, standard on the US-market M2 Competition, do not fit under 18" wheels. Unfortunately, this makes it costly to run smaller wheels on this platform.

The ride quality improvement from going from 19" to 18" wheels was more significant than the improvement from switching from M2C OEM dampers to Ohlins TTX coilovers.

If you want to improve the ride without sacrificing performance, you could leave the suspension alone and reduce the wheel diameter. If the wheel diameter reduction is not enough, then you could modify the suspension.

If you want to improve the ride and are willing to sacrifice performance, put non-performance tires on the 19" wheels. This is by far the cheapest way to improve ride comfort.
Appreciate 1
M3R12168.50
      09-29-2023, 08:14 PM   #9
Aeko
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
Correct. The 2NH brakes, standard on the US-market M2 Competition, do not fit under 18" wheels. Unfortunately, this makes it costly to run smaller wheels on this platform.

The ride quality improvement from going from 19" to 18" wheels was more significant than the improvement from switching from M2C OEM dampers to Ohlins TTX coilovers.

If you want to improve the ride without sacrificing performance, you could leave the suspension alone and reduce the wheel diameter. If the wheel diameter reduction is not enough, then you could modify the suspension.

If you want to improve the ride and are willing to sacrifice performance, put non-performance tires on the 19" wheels. This is by far the cheapest way to improve ride comfort.
This is great info, thank you! I'll start with OE EDC dampers and then see if that's a big enough change to keep it or pursue brakes and 18" wheels.

One of my planned changes was ditching the PSS for PS4S as I've heard from some that it does improve ride quality slightly without sacrificing performance for street use. The hardest I'm going to ever drive this car is occasional AutoX but that's an in the future thing and I don't plan on going crazy with mods.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 07:00 AM   #10
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Some disagree with this approach, but... 18" 2nh. Not costly.
Attached Images

09-30-2023, 09:51 AM   #11
Aeko
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Some disagree with this approach, but... 18" 2nh. Not costly.
Oh shit. Which style wheels are those?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 12:45 PM   #12
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh shit. Which style wheels are those?
CSR 513
      09-30-2023, 04:30 PM   #13
Aeko
Private
Rep

Quote:
CSR 513
Would you mind trying to measure what the inner barrel diameter is? I'm curious what size is necessary to run over the 2NH brakes with 18"
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 06:32 PM   #14
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Would you mind trying to measure what the inner barrel diameter is? I'm curious what size is necessary to run over the 2NH brakes with 18"
I'm in San Diego until Wednesday. Reach out to Track/S
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 11:24 PM   #15
Aeko
Private
Rep

Quote:
CSR 513
I did a little research on these: Are you also running the spacers and lots of negative camber? I'm reading those are two things that the M2 CSR has with the CSR 513M because of the 10" width. Do you know if the F8x 513M set would also fit over the 2NH? I'd prefer that one because of the color, I don't like solid black wheels. I am assuming it would since the wheel diameter is the same.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 05:43 AM   #16
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I did a little research on these: Are you also running the spacers and lots of negative camber? I'm reading those are two things that the M2 CSR has with the CSR 513M because of the 10" width. Do you know if the F8x 513M set would also fit over the 2NH? I'd prefer that one because of the color, I don't like solid black wheels. I am assuming it would since the wheel diameter is the same.
I'm running a 25mm spacer, adjustable lower control arms, -3.2 camber, a custom caliper bracket, and 380mm paragon rotors to run these wheels. I can go with less camber but it was good on track. I'll run a street setup with factory wheels, less camber, no spacers
      10-13-2023, 11:17 AM   #17
Aeko
Private
Rep

Quote:
I'm running a 25mm spacer, adjustable lower control arms, -3.2 camber, a custom caliper bracket, and 380mm paragon rotors to run these wheels. I can go with less camber but it was good on track. I'll run a street setup with factory wheels, less camber, no spacers
What does the caliper bracket do and who makes it? Like, does it bring in the caliper closer to the center of the wheel or is it spacing for the offset?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 11:45 AM   #18
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What does the caliper bracket do and who makes it? Like, does it bring in the caliper closer to the center of the wheel or is it spacing for the offset?
Track/S makes them. It brings the caliper closer to the center so that you can run a smaller diameter rotor. This creates enough space to run an 18" wheel.

A positive of this setup was that I experienced zero pad knockback at my recent event.
      10-13-2023, 01:40 PM   #19
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Love those wheels. Look killer on your bsm CS Dave. Really wish they came in a lower offset so I could run em without spacer.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 03:41 PM   #20
Aeko
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeStripes View Post
Love those wheels. Look killer on your bsm CS Dave. Really wish they came in a lower offset so I could run em without spacer.
Agree on both counts.

I'm really confused why BMW chose such a high offset unless it's for adjustability when running such wide tires with square wheels in the front? Even the rears on the 513M CSR run a pretty significant amount of spacer.
Appreciate 0