BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Noelle Performance review

Closed Thread

01-14-2020, 12:16 PM   #67
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi M sport--2014 M6

Ive just never really been impressed with any Dinan product. Nothing they do seems exceptional to me. Plus I’ve heard several horror stories with their warranty, an friend of a friend even had to file a lawsuit a couple years ago. They covered it after that. Sometimes you just have to put your money where your mouth is
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 02:16 PM   #68
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
OP, sounds like you like your tune - congratulations! Can you comment on traction? I would think the M2C would have difficulty putting down all that power...

P.S. I saw this on Noelle's website: "All M engines 5/40 or 5/50 in cold climates and 10/60 in warm climates." They really don't expect you to put 10W60 in an S55, warm climate or not, do they?
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)

Last edited by KevinM; 01-14-2020 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 03:07 PM   #69
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi M sport--2014 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
OP, sounds like you like your tune - congratulations! Can you comment on traction? I would think the M2C would have difficulty putting down all that power...

P.S. I saw this on Noelle's website: "All M engines 5/40 or 5/50 in cold climates and 10/60 in warm climates." They really don't expect you to put 10W60 in an S55, warm climate or not, do they?
It’s interesting. The car just feels different, and it’s tough to articulate. The rear end is much more predictable, and when I’m trying to spin the rears the car catches traction much quicker.

As for the oil I went with what was recommended by my installer which was 5/40.

He showed me the standard spec oil and the liqumoly looked much better.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 06:13 PM   #70
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by btbossman View Post
It’s interesting. The car just feels different, and it’s tough to articulate. The rear end is much more predictable, and when I’m trying to spin the rears the car catches traction much quicker.
So we add power, a lot of it, and somehow the car handles better?

Sounds to me like they turned stock into sport plus and turned sport plus into a high boost map

Like bruh, the few people that actually pushed the car to 600hp make it somewhat clear that the car is not safe at all even for above average drivers, and you're trying to influence people to get a tune with those numbers and the car is magically going to handle better?

If you're not tracking your car, just fiddle with your thumbs until a real OEM M2 CS map is thrown on the market and screw the crank hub fix

Noelle may be a great tuner but I have a lot more confidence in what a full BMW M team does with the M2 CS, which ultimately, because fuck uninspiring adaptive suspensions, is just a M2 Competition + a Tune + Cosmetics.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 08:23 PM   #71
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post
Quote:
So we add power, a lot of it, and somehow the car handles better?

Sounds to me like they turned stock into sport plus and turned sport plus into a high boost map

Like bruh, the few people that actually pushed the car to 600hp make it somewhat clear that the car is not safe at all even for above average drivers, and you're trying to influence people to get a tune with those numbers and the car is magically going to handle better?

If you're not tracking your car, just fiddle with your thumbs until a real OEM M2 CS map is thrown on the market and screw the crank hub fix

Noelle may be a great tuner but I have a lot more confidence in what a full BMW M team does with the M2 CS, which ultimately, because fuck uninspiring adaptive suspensions, is just a M2 Competition + a Tune + Cosmetics.
I mean, he did just push liqui moly as well stating it "looked" better than the oil bmw recommends...

I've never seen in my life someone pick oil from visually inspecting new oil... He's on an entirely different level than we are between selecting oil by looking at it and his finely tuned "butt dyno" identifying 550horses...
Appreciate 1
Dav3946.50
      01-14-2020, 09:27 PM   #72
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Good lord, people. Why not ask him to clarify before assuming these things? Maybe he saw an oil analysis? Maybe he saw engine components used in different oil? Maybe he is ridiculous but don't take away from the forum by assuming the worst. Please and thank you.

As I understand it, the flash does not just impact engine, but diff and traction.
Appreciate 1
pz6193274.00
      01-14-2020, 09:41 PM   #73
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got f1? View Post
Good lord, people. Why not ask him to clarify before assuming these things? Maybe he saw an oil analysis? Maybe he saw engine components used in different oil? Maybe he is ridiculous but don't take away from the forum by assuming the worst. Please and thank you.

As I understand it, the flash does not just impact engine, but diff and traction.
Agreed on the common courtesy... I try. Sometimes I fail.

However, this is a car forum--if you post a question, someone experienced will usually answer. Make a claim... then be prepared to back it--that's what we're all here for: to learn from one another. However, I cannot learn from subjective assessment in a market of so many options.

I don't think folks have *assumed* the worst. Rather, like me, they object to the lack of substantive anything-other-than-an-opinion across a lengthy period of time having repeatedly asked--nay begged--for data. This is compounded by how easy the data is to obtain now.

Last edited by limeypride; 01-14-2020 at 09:49 PM..
Appreciate 1
Dav3946.50
      01-14-2020, 09:58 PM   #74
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeypride View Post

However, this is a car forum--if you post a question, someone experienced will usually answer. Make a claim... then be prepared to back it--that's what we're all here for: to learn from one another. However, I cannot learn from subjective assessment in a market of so many options.

I don't think folks have *assumed* the worst. Rather, like me, they object to the lack of substantive anything-other-than-an-opinion across a lengthy period of time having repeatedly asked--nay begged--for data. This is compounded by how easy the data is to obtain now.
I get it. I believe he also said he bought a draggy on 1/1. Curious to read how that turns out.
Appreciate 2
limeypride4418.50
      01-15-2020, 12:07 AM   #75
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got f1? View Post
Quote:

I get it. I believe he also said he bought a draggy on 1/1. Curious to read how that turns out.
It's also been months of these claims of performance and speed and neither him nor Noelle can back up claims with even a dyno / slips / draggy / videos... There's been nothing, just a lot of "who needs data? Just do it, you won't regret it..." I'm not even going to touch on the passive aggressive comments either... The speed and performance claims are SUBSTANTIAL so I can't blame anyone asking for data to back up claims... Even Noelle - I find it extremely difficult to believe that during all this testing there isn't a single dyno chart anywhere... How the hell would they tune otherwise?

Draggy was allegedly shipped to wrong address, then the weather wasn't right and now the car needs new tires... It's just a never ending saga of excuses...

Truthfully at this point, I wouldn't even believe the draggy - not without video to back it...
Appreciate 2
Myrder162.00
filet.M2c782.50
      01-15-2020, 12:08 AM   #76
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Ive just never really been impressed with any Dinan product. Nothing they do seems exceptional to me. Plus I've heard several horror stories with their warranty, an friend of a friend even had to file a lawsuit a couple years ago. They covered it after that. Sometimes you just have to put your money where your mouth is
LMFAO !!!!

Oh the irony... "Put your money where your mouth is..."
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 03:48 PM   #77
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
What ever happened to the other Noelle guy? This btbossman needs a wingman.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 03:50 PM   #78
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
What ever happened to the other Noelle guy? This btbossman needs a wingman.
Perhaps he bought an M5 and started a new thread. :
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2020, 03:53 PM   #79
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Perhaps he bought an M5 and started a new thread. :
Off to the m5 forum then!!

Edit: Back!

Yep the M5 forum is likewise affected by the Noelle troll bots.

Last edited by infinitekidM2C; 01-22-2020 at 04:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 04:30 PM   #80
filet.M2c
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2c / mach e

The lack of dyno graphs is concerning... Perhaps Noelle can increase btbossman's pay to include a few dyno runs?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 08:45 PM   #81
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

This whole Noelle saga is so bizarre to me. I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I find it hard to believe that not one single person, out of the allegedly hundreds of tuned cars (between bmw platforms), that anyone was able to produce a Dyno sheet, drag slip, or anything other than anecdotal evidence.

On top of that, the people that come out of the woodworks to defend Noelle definitely isn’t helping. Call me a skeptic, but while I don’t think the tune is necessarily snake oil, I’m not convinced this is any better than other tunes already available on the market.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 12:14 AM   #82
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
This whole Noelle saga is so bizarre to me. I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt, but I find it hard to believe that not one single person, out of the allegedly hundreds of tuned cars (between bmw platforms), that anyone was able to produce a Dyno sheet, drag slip, or anything other than anecdotal evidence.

On top of that, the people that come out of the woodworks to defend Noelle definitely isn't helping. Call me a skeptic, but while I don't think the tune is necessarily snake oil, I'm not convinced this is any better than other tunes already available on the market.
You have too many assholes who are arrogant and think they know what they are doing... I remember the F8X went through some nightmares with tunes when one or two tuning companies thought it would be smart to flash the regular f8x's with GTS coding... Shit did not go well, can't imagine why when the engines operate differently... For starters, GTS had sprayers for the water injection system... Cars were running funky, for obvious reasons, and they had to tweak the tunes to make it smooth... Yes yes the GTS coding for the dct worked fine but I was talking more so about the performance...

I remember another time a reputable company sent the wrong tune for my car... They specifically asked what state, the shop I used was a certified reseller and they knew what shop that state was in but yet not once but TWICE, I got maps for 93 octane and not 91... It was a shit show as well...
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 06:44 AM   #83
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
Off to the m5 forum then!!

Edit: Back!

Yep the M5 forum is likewise affected by the Noelle troll bots.
Its spread to FB and Reddit to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post

On top of that, the people that come out of the woodworks to defend Noelle definitely isn’t helping. Call me a skeptic, but while I don’t think the tune is necessarily snake oil, I’m not convinced this is any better than other tunes already available on the market.
Its very odd that all the people who talk positively about Noelle all hit exactly the same talking points. Its almost as if there is some behind the scenes coordination...

I really do not get the end goal though. No one just buys a tune outa the blue, they all research or ask communities/friends what tune to go for. So say someone is brave enough to buy a Noelle Tune after considering all the tune options. Won't they either A) not get a tune and tell the whole world Noelle is a scam B) provide evidence that may disprove Noelles claims.

At that point you may have suckered in a dozen people which seems like a lot of work for the money you might make on it. Not to mention that you probably did something illegal.
      01-23-2020, 07:58 AM   #84
ricko32
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C

For those that have not seen it here is a video of an M2C with a Noelle tune.
Yes, the audio is no the best.

That being said it would be nice if say, Ronald Trochelman or an authorized tuner that has installed the tune would comment.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 09:34 AM   #85
beMtroubleYou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C '18

Garage List
2018 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricko32 View Post
For those that have not seen it here is a video of an M2C with a Noelle tune.
Yes, the audio is no the best.

That being said it would be nice if say, Ronald Trochelman or an authorized tuner that has installed the tune would comment.
600hp - might aswell say 1000. Bold claims. No facts to back it up. We dont even get to see the speedo/rev.limiter.

These videos should not be for entertainment purpose only.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 07:57 PM   #86
NOS4A2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c

I met up with him(btbossman) at the end of December for a ride along because I've been doing research on tunes that I can run on my car (2020 M2C) as well. As someone who is still looking into what tuning options are out there, the claims on the site seemed compelling enough to look into/consider.

I don't really have a high post count on here so I don't really expect what I say to go super far but from my ride along in the car, it didn't feel stock. I don't know what that translates from butt-dyno to real dyno but it was noticeably faster than my car.

It felt like it pulled harder in the midrange and up-top. I honestly wish that I could see what that translates to on the dyno so people could see what that translates too on the dyno and maybe more details on what adjustments are made on the diff.

tldr; Car felt faster than mine, wish I knew what that delta looks like on a dyno. I'm still personally waiting for me to put on more miles on mine and hopefully by then there are more options that don't require back-dating.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2020, 10:11 PM   #87
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS4A2 View Post
I met up with him(btbossman) at the end of December for a ride along because I've been doing research on tunes that I can run on my car (2020 M2C) as well. As someone who is still looking into what tuning options are out there, the claims on the site seemed compelling enough to look into/consider.

I don't really have a high post count on here so I don't really expect what I say to go super far but from my ride along in the car, it didn't feel stock. I don't know what that translates from butt-dyno to real dyno but it was noticeably faster than my car.

It felt like it pulled harder in the midrange and up-top. I honestly wish that I could see what that translates to on the dyno so people could see what that translates too on the dyno and maybe more details on what adjustments are made on the diff.

tldr; Car felt faster than mine, wish I knew what that delta looks like on a dyno. I'm still personally waiting for me to put on more miles on mine and hopefully by then there are more options that don't require back-dating.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-24-2020, 02:23 AM   #88
gnx
Όλα ρόδες
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Can anyone pls expand on this back dating thing, what exactly is it?
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread