BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2 Competition Owner Initial Impressions / Review

08-12-2018, 03:11 PM   #89
Sideshow
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
https://www.mycarly.com/product/bmw-app/

I've used the Carly App on my car. It is really easy. The app won't let you change any coding without doing a backup first so if you don't like the result, you just restore the backup
That looks totally cool!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 07:59 PM   #90
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Two strong suggestions:
1. Don't use comfort mode - ever. Use sport or sport+
2. Don't disable ASD. For real snap, crackle and pop do a short press on the DSC button.
      08-12-2018, 09:43 PM   #91
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
Two strong suggestions:
1. Don't use comfort mode - ever. Use sport or sport+
2. Don't disable ASD. For real snap, crackle and pop do a short press on the DSC button.
ASD is horrible. Disabling it is a must.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 11:33 PM   #92
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Absolutely lovely
      08-13-2018, 12:34 AM   #93
StLuis51
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3; 2023 X3MC

Quote:
https://www.mycarly.com/product/bmw-app/

I've used the Carly App on my car. It is really easy. The app won't let you change any coding without doing a backup first so if you don't like the result, you just restore the backup
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_LCI View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulAZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsGary View Post
I thought you don't need a bypass harness anymore if you just use Carly and disable the ASD?
This is a good question. Can the Active Sound Design (ASD) be removed by programming with an OBD (On Board Diagnostics) program and/or installing a bypass harness?

This is what I found:
I believe that a special wiring harness is needed to be installed in the trunk space of the car to help bypass the noise, I haven't found any evidence that OBD programs can delete this stupid feature, but I am probably wrong about this. However the OBD systems appear to be essential for the owner/mechanic do-it-your-self-er-types.

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1202389

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1253955
BimmerCode. Much easier than installing the harness...plus you can code out some other annoying things like warnings on idrive and the horrible seat belt gongs. Worked on my OG M2...can't see why it wouldn't work on M2C...it's still an F series.

Will using any of these to code ASD out and other features void your warranty? Will dealers be able to see the modifications? Thank you in advance.
2023 X3MC - Current
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 12:46 AM   #94
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLuis51 View Post
Will using any of these to code ASD out and other features void your warranty? Will dealers be able to see the modifications? Thank you in advance.
Coding will not void anything I am pretty sure. The harness, they might blame it if your audio amplifier fails or something. They won't go looking for an ASD bypass harness if you spin a crank hub. I would just remove the harness before taking it in if you had audio problems.

One advantage to the harness over coding is that any damage to the ASD module will not harm your audio system. I think I've read a couple threads where people had ASD modules harmed by water ingress. I would have to see schematics but it is possible that you get some (likely inaudible) improvement in signal-to-noise ratio or harmonic distortion by bypassing the ASD module as well.
Appreciate 2
StLuis51457.50
      08-13-2018, 07:24 AM   #95
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

BTW.. the M3/M4 with HK disabling ASD is as easy as unplugging the module in the trunk. Otherwise F series is insanely easy to code with a $25 cable.

Coding wont void warranty.
Appreciate 1
StLuis51457.50
      08-13-2018, 08:06 AM   #96
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
I used bimmercode in the past to code out ASD and that worked perfectly. However, as an experiment I tried to code it back on and it didn't work. Went back and fourth with the developer and they ran out of suggestions. It worked fine for other coding without an issue.

This time around I will use the cable.

I have Carly now, but haven't tried it.
StLuis51457.50
      08-13-2018, 08:21 AM   #97
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostriderf80 View Post
"I purchased the DCT mostly because I want my wife to be able to drive it. "

Manual is old and its like saying that we should all go back to candle light. Lets be honest DCT is faster, better and much more pleasant to drive.

I am glad that your wife has good influence on you. One less manual.
Don't forget to get the GTS flash it will make the DCT insanely quick.

Nice set of wheels man, jealous of the brakes.
Please shut up.
Sideshow269.00
BlkSVT388.50
      08-13-2018, 10:32 AM   #98
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostriderf80 View Post
"I purchased the DCT mostly because I want my wife to be able to drive it. "

Manual is old and its like saying that we should all go back to candle light. Lets be honest DCT is faster, better and much more pleasant to drive.

I am glad that your wife has good influence on you. One less manual.
Don't forget to get the GTS flash it will make the DCT insanely quick.

Nice set of wheels man, jealous of the brakes.
Please shut up.
Please be nice

08-13-2018, 10:42 AM   #99
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
I used bimmercode in the past to code out ASD and that worked perfectly. However, as an experiment I tried to code it back on and it didn't work. Went back and fourth with the developer and they ran out of suggestions. It worked fine for other coding without an issue.

I coded out ASD with Carly which worked great. Then I decided to code it back in just for an experiment. There was a list of cars to code back in but my M235i was not in the list. Carly makes you backup for each and every module step by step so I just restored the backup for that module on that day and my ASD was back...it didn't last long, I hated it.
Appreciate 2
StLuis51457.50
ChrisK4449.00
      08-13-2018, 10:45 AM   #100
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
I coded out ASD with Carly which worked great. Then I decided to code it back in just for an experiment. There was a list of cars to code back in but my M235i was not in the list. Carly makes you backup for each and every module step by step so I just restored the backup for that module on that day and my ASD was back...it didn't last long, I hated it.
Bimmercode makes a backup also, but it wouldn't restore. They thought it was a bug in the app and when I first coded it out, the backup was corrupted.
StLuis51457.50
      08-13-2018, 10:58 AM   #101
///Marc3
Private
Rep
Drives: '13 M3 LeMans DCT ZPP ZCP ZCW

Garage List
Welcome to the club! If you are looking for some awesome break-in miles, take a look at this years Drive 4 Corners event. We've already got 4 other M2s registered out of a total of 85 cars so far.

It would be great if you can make it.

If not, I'm sure you'll enjoy the M2C between now and when the first snow flies.

Take care.
      08-13-2018, 11:28 AM   #102
SpenceRx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i EBII

Great insight. Nice car.

It looks more "classy" and less aggressive in Alpine White.
      08-13-2018, 12:20 PM   #103
StLuis51
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3; 2023 X3MC

Quote:
Quote:
Bimmercode makes a backup also, but it wouldn't restore. They thought it was a bug in the app and when I first coded it out, the backup was corrupted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Quote:
Coding will not void anything I am pretty sure. The harness, they might blame it if your audio amplifier fails or something. They won't go looking for an ASD bypass harness if you spin a crank hub. I would just remove the harness before taking it in if you had audio problems.

One advantage to the harness over coding is that any damage to the ASD module will not harm your audio system. I think I've read a couple threads where people had ASD modules harmed by water ingress. I would have to see schematics but it is possible that you get some (likely inaudible) improvement in signal-to-noise ratio or harmonic distortion by bypassing the ASD module as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
BTW.. the M3/M4 with HK disabling ASD is as easy as unplugging the module in the trunk. Otherwise F series is insanely easy to code with a $25 cable.

Coding wont void warranty.
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you for all the responses. I am super excited about coding with my phone

I love this forum. I keep learning all these new things I can do.
2023 X3MC - Current
Appreciate 3
ChrisK4449.00
AlpsRider2865.00
cptobvious2531.50
      08-13-2018, 01:45 PM   #104
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcsifl View Post
I had a White/Red S2K. I honestly loved that car and have vowed at some point to buy another. It was just so much fun. It did lack in power but man did it handle. I really like my 17 M2 OG. My only gripe is that the interior is a little "basic". My car is tuned and makes nearly the HP of the M2C and has springs, aftermarket wheels and the MP CF interior kit so it's about personalized to my taste. It was nice to see that the M2C can be optioned with the M3/4 seats. I thought seriously of trying to find them for my M2 but read several comments that the fronts aren't very comfortable.
Make sure you drive a ND Miata. After years of dominance by the S2000 in Class STR the new Miata's are kicking their butts. Awesome motor with TQ everywhere, unlike the drive it like you stole it S2000. ALso the weight difference is easy to see and feel. Less than 2200-2250 lbs with basic ST mods.
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 03:02 PM   #105
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you for all the responses. I am super excited about coding with my phone

I love this forum. I keep learning all these new things I can do.
Just wait until all that advice becomes really expensive hahaha

MR
Appreciate 2
StLuis51457.50
BlkSVT388.50
      08-13-2018, 05:43 PM   #106
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_LCI View Post
BimmerCode. Much easier than installing the harness...plus you can code out some other annoying things like warnings on idrive and the horrible seat belt gongs. Worked on my OG M2...can't see why it wouldn't work on M2C...it's still an F series.
Also Carly can code out ASD. It's very user friendly. Basically anyone with limited computer skills can use it to customize many features.
What is Carly?
Carly for BMW. It's an app, that you use with the Carly Bluetooth OBD to code stuff and Just do normal service resets with
      08-14-2018, 01:11 AM   #107
RedGT3RS
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW, Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
A common sentiment I read all the time on this board when it comes to the same three cars: E46 M3, Z4M Coupe and S2000

My advice then for owners of the above is to hang on to them for dear life.

Funny you say that, at one point I had all three of them, all bought new too, silver M3 comp, imola red z4m and red s2000. I only have the e46 now out of the 3, should have never sold the others but needed garage space 😰
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 01:22 AM   #108
RedGT3RS
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW, Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inline View Post
Not to thread jack but that dealer brought back some good memories of when I picked up my first m

So nice! I wanted a Melbourne red e90 at the time, wish I pulled the trigger
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 01:43 AM   #109
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan997GT3RS View Post
Funny you say that, at one point I had all three of them, all bought new too, silver M3 comp, imola red z4m and red s2000. I only have the e46 now out of the 3, should have never sold the others but needed garage space 😰
Some days I wish I had my E46 M3 still, but then I realize it would probably just sit there, not wanting to put miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2018, 11:32 PM   #110
Phantom_9192
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quick note on the DCT (I had two SMG E46 M's and now a DCT E92 for the past 6 years)…
Everyone wants to call it an automatic but it's not. Think of it as an automatically-shifted manual transmission. There is no torque converter, etc. As such, it will never feel like a true automatic trans.
I think maybe the F series DCT's only have 3 settings (?) but my E92 has 5. I only use it in heavy traffic and I run it in D4 and it's great.

For the S modes, I run the first mode up the list (S4 in my E92) that rev-matches on downshifts.

My M2C will be 6MT as I'll be getting rid of my E92 and my FR-S track beast. The FR-S (with pretty significant suspension mods) is one of the most amazing cars I've ever driven, and I've been racing for over 20 years. Unfortunately it's just a bit too much to be a daily.
I'm hoping the M2C box is close to as good as the one in the FR-S. If so, and I can code out the auto rev-match (or just drive with DSC off all the time as I rev-match on every downshift and I downshift through every gear all the time), I'll be one very happy guy.
Appreciate 0