BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Downpipe Install?

09-10-2018, 04:39 PM   #221
BM Creeper
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 MY17 (March 2017)

Did mine 2 weeks ago. A 300-cell HJS cat for fully complying with Euro emission regulations. It's very well crafted. Took me over 3 hours though.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 04:51 PM   #222
BM Creeper
Private
Belgium
Rep

Unplugging the connectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2taz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport View Post
^He is correct. Pretty straightforward.
Thanks guys! I figured it out, but wanted to ask first. Here's a bit of details for others.

Take the engine cover off which just pops up, no screws, pull up from the back first and then the front. Trace the cables up to the two plugs which are held in by metal clips. The plugs themselves are color coded one all black and the other with blue so you can't get them confused with reinstalling. On the flat side of the plugs themselves, there's a gray tab, pull it up then you'll be able to squeeze and pull the plug a part. Some pics as a reference attached. I decided to stop there and wait for my new ramps to arrive since I didn't feel confident with my jack stand setup I had.
This was unexpectedly for me the most annoying part ! I forgot how to unplug these and tried to do it sideways. M2taz explains it very well. Silly no !? I read it earlier then forgot about it...
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2018, 05:00 PM   #223
BM Creeper
Private
Belgium
Rep

One trick to remember is to heat up the O2 base before unscrewing it. There was no way I could have done it without that !
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 04:00 PM   #224
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xchange43 View Post
I had to use an hammer to unscre the o2 sensors.. they were stuck. No way i could unscrew them hanging in that tight space.
I'm surprised the O2 sensors still work after being hit on with a hammer. They're usually delicate when it comes to impact.
      09-17-2018, 04:01 PM   #225
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Creeper View Post
Did mine 2 weeks ago. A 300-cell HJS cat for fully complying with Euro emission regulations. It's very well crafted. Took me over 3 hours though.
Notice an increase in power? How's the sound increase?
      09-17-2018, 04:29 PM   #226
Xchange43
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 BMW M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Quote:
I had to use an hammer to unscre the o2 sensors.. they were stuck. No way i could unscrew them hanging in that tight space.
I'm surprised the O2 sensors still work after being hit on with a hammer. They're usually delicate when it comes to impact.
Lol i havent hit them with the hammer but rather the tool to unscrew them
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 04:59 PM   #227
BM Creeper
Private
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Creeper View Post
Notice an increase in power? How's the sound increase?
Very hard to tell in terms of increased power...I can't be sure. And maybe a tiny less lag before the turbo kicks in.
Who can be certain to notice a 4% increase in anything anyway.
But, in terms of noise level and burbling: wouah!! It can still be quiet in confort mode if you keep the rev low, but as soon as you put it in sport and above it's fantastic !! Just perfect. And the exhaust hidden mode is even more fun !
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 07:12 PM   #228
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Lol i havent hit them with the hammer but rather the tool to unscrew them
Doesn't matter, the shock alone can kill them. Most automakers say a drop from a mere 6 inches necessitates replacement.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 05:55 PM   #229
kpaso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Upper v band is driving me crazy. Doesn't want to come off. Got the top half of it loose but not the other part. Any tips?

Edit: finally got it.

Last edited by kpaso; 11-10-2018 at 03:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 09:49 AM   #230
tenkies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Anyone replace the V-band clamps with better aftermarket clamps?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 05:11 PM   #231
Blurbo311
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB 6-Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2taz View Post
Thanks guys! I figured it out, but wanted to ask first. Here's a bit of details for others.

Take the engine cover off which just pops up, no screws, pull up from the back first and then the front. Trace the cables up to the two plugs which are held in by metal clips. The plugs themselves are color coded one all black and the other with blue so you can't get them confused with reinstalling. On the flat side of the plugs themselves, there's a gray tab, pull it up then you'll be able to squeeze and pull the plug a part. Some pics as a reference attached. I decided to stop there and wait for my new ramps to arrive since I didn't feel confident with my jack stand setup I had.
I cant figure out how these come apart, even with your description and photos. Just spent 20 min trying... I promise I'm not a novice with cars and I'm not a wimp. I just don't want to break anything, is there a secret?

EDIT: got it, see my post below.

Last edited by Blurbo311; 12-10-2018 at 10:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 06:01 PM   #232
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Unbolt it all the way, spread the clamp and wiggle it off.
      12-07-2018, 10:21 PM   #233
ecitizen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Had my Fabspeed downpipe installed today with stock exhaust. Nice power boost and good sound. The sound was very incremental so nothing obnoxious. I'm pleased with it.
Appreciate 3
McGary911467.00
Dabozo624.50
Blurbo311197.00
      12-10-2018, 10:03 AM   #234
Blurbo311
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurbo311 View Post
I cant figure out how these come apart, even with your description and photos. Just spent 20 min trying... I promise I'm not a novice with cars and I'm not a wimp. I just don't want to break anything, is there a secret?
Quoting myself here... these little sensors didn't want to come apart, but finally they did, ugh.

This was my first time doing it and it took me about 3 hours start finish, 30 mins of that was on the sensors and 30+ mins I was trying to align the dp to the turbo to get the clamp on correctly, aside from that its pretty straight forward. My O2 sensors came out of the original DP with ease and the v-clamps were relatively easy to break loose, my car only has 8k miles.

The Fabspeed Sport Cat is worth the cost for two simple reasons:

1. The sound is amazing, I have no other engine/exhaust mods, it sounds a lot like stock only louder and throatier, but not too loud and no noticeable drone or loud noises while cruising. The burbles and pops in sports+ are even better! Its like stock, just better!

2. The butt dyno says a 5% increase in hp and tq! I could be off with the butt dyno but I can feel the turbo spooling quicker and I can hear it more too. Also, I think the car doesn't die off as much around higher RPMs, it runs harder/quicker towards redline. So even if the hp/tq isn't materially higher, I believe the power comes a little quicker and stays a little longer. I think Fabspeed and others have dynos that prove this.

Thanks to all those who posted about the install, I've read every post in this thread a couple of times or more. Thanks for your reviews of the Fabspeed sport cat, and lastly, thanks to Fabspeed for a quality product!
Appreciate 3
McGary911467.00
M2guru383.50
      12-18-2018, 03:04 PM   #235
GeilesAuto
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB MT

Hah! I installed a Remus catted DP this past weekend, and the O2 sensor plugs were the most difficult part for me too! I fiddled with the sides of the plugs for maybe 30 min until I finally figured out it was the gray tabs on the flat side! Felt like a real winner

I share your impressions on the mod - great upgrade in sound and power! Remus fitment was spot on, and install took 3.5 hours with me taking my sweet time on every step.

The only downside for me is the smell on cold start. Remus runs a 200-cell HJS cat, but there is definitely more smell on cold start than stock. To be expected, I guess, but would strongly consider the HJS 300-cell option if I were to do it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurbo311 View Post
Quoting myself here... these little sensors didn't want to come apart, but finally they did, ugh.

This was my first time doing it and it took me about 3 hours start finish, 30 mins of that was on the sensors and 30+ mins I was trying to align the dp to the turbo to get the clamp on correctly, aside from that its pretty straight forward. My O2 sensors came out of the original DP with ease and the v-clamps were relatively easy to break loose, my car only has 8k miles.

The Fabspeed Sport Cat is worth the cost for two simple reasons:

1. The sound is amazing, I have no other engine/exhaust mods, it sounds a lot like stock only louder and throatier, but not too loud and no noticeable drone or loud noises while cruising. The burbles and pops in sports+ are even better! Its like stock, just better!

2. The butt dyno says a 5% increase in hp and tq! I could be off with the butt dyno but I can feel the turbo spooling quicker and I can hear it more too. Also, I think the car doesn't die off as much around higher RPMs, it runs harder/quicker towards redline. So even if the hp/tq isn't materially higher, I believe the power comes a little quicker and stays a little longer. I think Fabspeed and others have dynos that prove this.

Thanks to all those who posted about the install, I've read every post in this thread a couple of times or more. Thanks for your reviews of the Fabspeed sport cat, and lastly, thanks to Fabspeed for a quality product!

Last edited by GeilesAuto; 12-18-2018 at 03:10 PM..
Appreciate 1
Blurbo311197.00
      12-23-2018, 05:07 AM   #236
nikm0910
Registered
Rep
Drives: LBB OG M2

Quick question for anyone that has the fabspeed downpipe, i've just installed mine and noticed that on cold start there is a slightly strange raspy sounds coming from the area that i reckon is about where the downpipe is. As soon as i give it any revs or go for a drive it stops and everything sounds great. Anyone know if that's the normal sound I should be hearing?

I haven't got any CEL and everything is running perfect other than that so not exactly worried just interested if normal.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 06:55 PM   #237
Blurbo311
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikm0910 View Post
Quick question for anyone that has the fabspeed downpipe, i've just installed mine and noticed that on cold start there is a slightly strange raspy sounds coming from the area that i reckon is about where the downpipe is. As soon as i give it any revs or go for a drive it stops and everything sounds great. Anyone know if that's the normal sound I should be hearing?

I haven't got any CEL and everything is running perfect other than that so not exactly worried just interested if normal.
I think I have a slight rattle sound that is coming from the dp area right at startup but like you it goes away. It's usually only present those first few seconds after startup when the car is louder. It could be anything, but it definitely appeared right after the dp install. Car sounds great otherwise and performs great, so i assume this is normal.

I've only had my fabspeed sport cat dp on about 400 mi. Can anyone else chime in?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 06:24 PM   #238
Altra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 AW M2

First off, big thanks to this thread and all who have posted here. I wouldn't have been able to get the downpipe installed without all the useful info in here.

Second, I went with the HJS 300 cell and there does seem to be a rattle of some sorts on cold start, but it does go away after idle calms down. Sound and performance is in line with what others have stated, essentially, the car should've came like this.

There was this smell on my initial startup, kinda smells like turning on a personal space heating unit or home heater. Warm metallic smell, I'm attributing it to downpipe break in, because that particular smell is gone now that I've put a few hundred miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 07:18 PM   #239
codylikerice
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altra View Post
First off, big thanks to this thread and all who have posted here. I wouldn't have been able to get the downpipe installed without all the useful info in here.

Second, I went with the HJS 300 cell and there does seem to be a rattle of some sorts on cold start, but it does go away after idle calms down. Sound and performance is in line with what others have stated, essentially, the car should've came like this.

There was this smell on my initial startup, kinda smells like turning on a personal space heating unit or home heater. Warm metallic smell, I'm attributing it to downpipe break in, because that particular smell is gone now that I've put a few hundred miles on it.
I second your post, thanks to all you who posted here, just recently put on a wagner 200 cell DP and would have been impossible without the info here.

Clamp to the turbo drove me crazy to line up but it finally did.

Highly recommend a downpipe upgrade - cannot tell if power has increased but sound improvement in both loudness but quality is huge. I can hear the turbo spool out the back of the exhaust at low rpm/low speed, and overall sound is crisper.

If anyone has questions about Wagner DP let me know!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 06:30 PM   #240
Kkohnnnnn
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i AWD

After reading this thread I'm tempted to try it myself rather than pay someone else to do it. Thanks for all the info!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 10:01 PM   #241
boostaddict305
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

I did mine myself it's a pretty easy install as long as you have a lift at your disposal
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 03:50 PM   #242
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ***********305 View Post
I did mine myself it's a pretty easy install as long as you have a lift at your disposal
I did mine on the ground just fine so a lift isn't necessary. Not even sure a lift would have been easier. I just lifted the front and it didn't have to be that high.
Appreciate 0