BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2C (or other M Car) Delivery Delays?

03-12-2020, 07:24 PM   #1
aeroglava
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C, SOM, 6MT

M2C (or other M Car) Delivery Delays?

Curious if anyone is seeing or hearing of any delays of M cars coming into ports into the US or at the VPC/trucking to the dealerships due to COVID-19 impacts. I wonder if things will start impacting those commerce areas soon. Crazy times...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 06:48 AM   #2
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroglava View Post
Curious if anyone is seeing or hearing of any delays of M cars coming into ports into the US or at the VPC/trucking to the dealerships due to COVID-19 impacts. I wonder if things will start impacting those commerce areas soon. Crazy times...
So haven't heard of any production delays in Leipzig, yet. Which means production is still normal. There was a COVID-19 case at BMW corporate in Munich a few weeks ago, but that was it.

The other concern is the ports. There has been no port impacts in the US and contrary to popular belief, there will be no trade implications with the recent US travel ban. Not to get too off topic, but a reason why there has been no port disruptions so far is because of insufficient testing and the inability to actually know if Ports workers are infected.

Regardless, this situation is highly fluid, so things may change in a week.
      03-13-2020, 09:51 AM   #3
aeroglava
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
The other concern is the ports. There has been no port impacts in the US and contrary to popular belief, there will be no trade implications with the recent US travel ban. Not to get too off topic, but a reason why there has been no port disruptions so far is because of insufficient testing and the inability to actually know if Ports workers are infected.

Regardless, this situation is highly fluid, so things may change in a week.
Yeah the ports are what I was curious about for sure. One has to think that it makes no sense in the US at this point to close them for multiple reasons. Not the least of which being that this thing is already widespread inside the US, so closing commerce at ports isn't going to do anything. And also that has huge economic implications and I personally think that would cause more panic.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 02:21 PM   #4
csg
always learning
Rep
Drives: fast, takes chances

Bought my 2020 M2C through the Military Sales Program in Italy... It was built on 02/15 and shipped shortly after. Made it as far as Verona before being locked down due to the whole country basically shutting down. No idea when I’ll get it now! It’s so close! I’ll be thrilled if I get it before May...
1997 Land Rover Defender 300TDi (ours)
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 02:33 PM   #5
aeroglava
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by csg View Post
Bought my 2020 M2C through the Military Sales Program in Italy... It was built on 02/15 and shipped shortly after. Made it as far as Verona before being locked down due to the whole country basically shutting down. No idea when I’ll get it now! It’s so close! I’ll be thrilled if I get it before May...

That's crazy! So what is the status of it? Was it stopped because of a truck transport not being available? I couldn't imagine a situation in this country where we weren't moving trucks or all work came to a grinding halt...it's unsustainable here.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 02:37 PM   #6
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
That's crazy! So what is the status of it? Was it stopped because of a truck transport not being available? I couldn't imagine a situation in this country where we weren't moving trucks or all work came to a grinding halt...it's unsustainable here.
Economy will come to a grinding halt. US economy is going to slow down a lot regardless, just based on current actions to slow the spread of infection. Schools shutting down, travel shut down, universities online only now, work from home, etc. Think of all the impact on small businesses.

Perhaps its short term pain for long term gain, but its going to have a huge impact on people. Lets pray this goes away soon...
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 03:01 PM   #7
aeroglava
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Economy will come to a grinding halt. US economy is going to slow down a lot regardless, just based on current actions to slow the spread of infection. Schools shutting down, travel shut down, universities online only now, work from home, etc. Think of all the impact on small businesses.

Perhaps its short term pain for long term gain, but its going to have a huge impact on people. Lets pray this goes away soon...
Well it was my understanding from first hand accounts in Italy (other guy should be able to weigh in), that even there people weren't just shut in completely. Things were still going on (grocery stores open, restaurants, etc). I can't imagine Americans not still at least getting out and doing business in some way, even if the more large crowd venues are shut down (Universities, large crowded events, etc).
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 03:30 PM   #8
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Also depends whether third-party suppliers get impacted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
Not to get too off topic, but a reason why there has been no port disruptions so far is because of insufficient testing and the inability to actually know if Ports workers are infected.
True that this topic may slide into politics.

USA: "What's that 'seaquake' or 'tsunami thing' you're talking about ? Look over here: calm sea, nice mountains in the back"...

03-13-2020, 03:40 PM   #9
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Well it was my understanding from first hand accounts in Italy (other guy should be able to weigh in), that even there people weren't just shut in completely. Things were still going on (grocery stores open, restaurants, etc). I can't imagine Americans not still at least getting out and doing business in some way, even if the more large crowd venues are shut down (Universities, large crowded events, etc).
Things will stay open, but even minimizing social contact will have huge economic impacts. Imagine you work from home, and now you aren't getting that morning coffee, or going out for lunch and then maybe a beer after work, buying gas. My travel expenses every week for work are about $2000+, so that gets sucked out of the economy, as an example. You get the idea.

Speaking of gas, the M2 is empty. I better go get some.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 06:19 PM   #10
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C & E92 M3

I'm scheduled for euro delivery on May 26th.

Wondering same thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 08:44 PM   #11
jbse39
Private
Rep
Drives: 97 M3, 20 M2 CS, 23 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by auggiem3 View Post

Wondering same thing.
Mine is scheduled for 5/18 and will be rescheduling it to later in the summer or fall, if BMW can accommodate.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 09:28 PM   #12
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C & E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbse39 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by auggiem3 View Post

Wondering same thing.
Mine is scheduled for 5/18 and will be rescheduling it to later in the summer or fall, if BMW can accommodate.
Did someone from BMW reach out to you or are you deciding to make the change on your own?

I originally requested a mid August date but was told that was too long to wait for a 2020 allocation - hence the May 26th pickup.

Still have my flights for August in addition to the May flights.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 10:02 PM   #13
spree
Private
Rep
Drives: M2C 2020

Quote:

Italy is NOW shut completely. You can be arrested for breaking quarantine.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...ne-Rome-latest
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 01:52 PM   #14
aeroglava
Private First Class
Rep

So here's a data point, but can't say it is entirely related, but I've got to think it is. The ship my car is on was supposed to arrive in Brunswick, Georgia this week after first making a stop in Baltimore. That timeline slipped first because they got a little behind in the UK stop and then now this week I've seen the timeline slip again a few more days both into Baltimore and as a result, into Brunswick.

I don't know if this is related or if the ports are implementing extra measures on people coming into ports that were overseas or what. I have to imagine it is related. Anyone else know if that's true? I have to remind myself this is a first world problem, but I've been so close since production finished on 2/15 and feel like it's getting drawn out more now and probably will continue to do so. I just want to drive already.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 02:55 PM   #15
csg
always learning
Rep

Quote:
It's BMW Italy's headquarters, which like all businesses (including nonessential transport companies) is closed until April 3rd (which is a condition-based date, we're going to have to see a substantial decrease in cases before the government allows business to restart). I sent them all the money, and it's cleared, so as soon as things open back up, it's a 1-day shipment to Pordenone where the car is prepped (2-3 days ideally). If April 3rd ends up being the day things reopen, I might have my car by the 15th of April, but i'm not hopeful. If I have my car before June, I'll be a happy camper given the situation.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2020, 04:49 PM   #16
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
It's BMW Italy's headquarters, which like all businesses (including nonessential transport companies) is closed until April 3rd (which is a condition-based date, we're going to have to see a substantial decrease in cases before the government allows business to restart). I sent them all the money, and it's cleared, so as soon as things open back up, it's a 1-day shipment to Pordenone where the car is prepped (2-3 days ideally). If April 3rd ends up being the day things reopen, I might have my car by the 15th of April, but i'm not hopeful. If I have my car before June, I'll be a happy camper given the situation.
So what is the situation there? I know you guys are in lockdown what does that really mean? How/when do you get out to buy groceries/food? Whats open and what's closed? Just wondering what may be us in a few weeks. Thanks, and hope you guys recover soon, and you have your M2
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 12:17 PM   #17
csg
always learning
Rep

Quote:
So what is the situation there? I know you guys are in lockdown what does that really mean? How/when do you get out to buy groceries/food? Whats open and what's closed? Just wondering what may be us in a few weeks. Thanks, and hope you guys recover soon, and you have your M2
Thanks! Yeah, a lot of frequently asked questions out there, as it’s pretty unprecedented. IMO the US won’t get to this point of lockdown but that’s not because of the spread, it’s because of America

You can leave your home for one of three reasons:
1) To go to work/back home (lots of nonessential people have been put on admin leave, lots of closed businesses so this eliminates a large percentage of the population)
2) medical appointments (essential medical appointments are the only ones allowed in Italy right now, nonessential appointments have been postponed/cancelled)
3) for reasons of “necessity” (which is where subjectivity comes to play). You can go to the grocery store, to get gas, go to the bank/post office, and that’s about it.

The good news is the stuff you’re seeing in the US isn’t happening here. Grocery store supply chain is easily able to keep up with demand. TP on the shelves, produce pretty available.. Basically I’m in “go to work, then home” mode for 3 more weeks before they‘ll make a call. Cases are still climbing rapidly here so we’ll need the curve to flatten pretty quickly before Italy starts changing things.

My best advice for everyone is to stay at home unless you need to leave. The essential part of containing this virus is preventing its spread by reducing interactions with as many people as possible.
Appreciate 2
JCZ51482.50
Tag17910.00
      03-15-2020, 02:04 PM   #18
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks! Yeah, a lot of frequently asked questions out there, as it’s pretty unprecedented. IMO the US won’t get to this point of lockdown but that’s not because of the spread, it’s because of America

You can leave your home for one of three reasons:
1) To go to work/back home (lots of nonessential people have been put on admin leave, lots of closed businesses so this eliminates a large percentage of the population)
2) medical appointments (essential medical appointments are the only ones allowed in Italy right now, nonessential appointments have been postponed/cancelled)
3) for reasons of “necessity” (which is where subjectivity comes to play). You can go to the grocery store, to get gas, go to the bank/post office, and that’s about it.

The good news is the stuff you’re seeing in the US isn’t happening here. Grocery store supply chain is easily able to keep up with demand. TP on the shelves, produce pretty available.. Basically I’m in “go to work, then home” mode for 3 more weeks before they‘ll make a call. Cases are still climbing rapidly here so we’ll need the curve to flatten pretty quickly before Italy starts changing things.

My best advice for everyone is to stay at home unless you need to leave. The essential part of containing this virus is preventing its spread by reducing interactions with as many people as possible.
Thank you, this must be a tough time for you. Hope all gets behind you soon.

US supply chains are ok too, but the panic has just set in because last week everyone announced school closing, online college, work from home, etc, so demand is overwhelming right now and people are stocking up. In a week, our stores should have inventory. They still are restocking, but just have to go at the right time to find stuff.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 05:07 PM   #19
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/03/15/f...nt-in-leipzig/ ("First coronavirus case at the BMW plant in Leipzig")
      03-15-2020, 08:41 PM   #20
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

My car was initially delayed because of the trains in Canada (protests and what not...) but now I have to delay the delivery for two weeks since I have to self quarantine... still champagne problems compared to lots of people.
Appreciate 1
MikeD943.00
      03-15-2020, 08:52 PM   #21
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

My car's *supposed* to hit the port in CA (wherever that is) on 24 March. SA says it may or may not make it to CO in 7 days depending on what happens with the virus.

So near, yet so far.

R.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 10:11 PM   #22
aeroglava
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
My car's *supposed* to hit the port in CA (wherever that is) on 24 March. SA says it may or may not make it to CO in 7 days depending on what happens with the virus.

So near, yet so far.

R.
Hope yours is tracking faster than mine. My ship has slipped it's schedule about a week in total from when it left Bremerhaven to when it was supposed to get to Brunswick. Definitely first world problems, but I'm still excited about the car despite all the craziness going on.
Appreciate 0