BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Track seat?

03-16-2020, 02:04 PM   #23
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
The Nogaro is the only aftermarket seat approved for use with the QFP. HMS/Schroth/Cobra all worked together to make that happen, and did so with the F80/2 market in mind (because the stock seats don't have head rest posts, so there's no way to safely use the QFP with them, unlike other BMWs.
Got any info on the certs? I have not seen them.

If its been blessed then indeed its a great combo for a track/street vehicle.

It was your post that encouraged me to look into the Nogarros BTW. Your M3 is lovely.
      03-16-2020, 02:07 PM   #24
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
Got any info on the certs? I have not seen them.

If its been blessed then indeed its a great combo for a track/street vehicle.

It was your post that encouraged me to look into the Nogarros BTW. Your M3 is lovely.
I don't have them, but if you contact HMS (US Schroth importer) or Schroth they can provide them.

Not just blessed, but tested to be able to take the downward load the QFPs uniquely apply (thanks to cobra designing that in for this purpose)

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 04:03 PM   #25
iBrakeLate
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Has anyone been able to figure out the coding for the error codes the car gets when race seats are installed?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 09:50 PM   #26
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBrakeLate View Post
Has anyone been able to figure out the coding for the error codes the car gets when race seats are installed?

If you're doing the Nogaros (retaining the factory seatbelts), it's all here: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...9#post26123409

If you're mounting harnesses that don't use the factory seatbelts, you'll likely need to turn off the seatbelt warning lights/chimes as well (set them all to "nicht_aktiv"), which will also in ACSM #3000, and I think are:
  • Gurtzustandsanzeige_Fahrer
  • Gurtzustandsanzeige_Beifahrer
  • SeatBeltReminder_SBR_Fahrer
  • SeatBeltReminder_SBR_Beifahrer
Appreciate 1
blitzyo53.00
      06-05-2020, 12:20 AM   #27
Thevesh
Private
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Has anyone been looking into Cobra Misano Ann. or Sparco SPX? Would they fit in our cars?
Would like to keep the reclining option as I occasionally haul kids around town and they love it in M2
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 08:50 AM   #28
Obioban
Emperor
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thevesh View Post
Has anyone been looking into Cobra Misano Ann. or Sparco SPX? Would they fit in our cars?
Would like to keep the reclining option as I occasionally haul kids around town and they love it in M2
If you use the factory slider mounts (which have 2-3x the travel of aftermarket sliders), kids can still get in back without issue with a fixed back. Awkward for adults, but no problem for kids.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 09:26 PM   #29
butraymond
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw m2c

Perhaps the new carbon bucket seat in G8X would fit in m2c without any issue? Heater, electric seat, airbag.
Still waiting, but my current options (two seats):
1, AMX performance customized Recaro CS. Plug and play with heater, airbags. $5k
2, Recaro Pole Position, need to code out heater and airbag. $3k
3, New G8X m3/m4 carbon bucket seat. $eye-waterly expensive

2021 M2C, Not ready to install roll cage yet, probably will run Schroth Quickfit pro.
10track days/ yr.

Any comments?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 01:50 AM   #30
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2015 Renault RS275R  [9.50]
2019 Renault RS280  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
Just ordered a set of Cobra Nogaro seats, definitely the best option for street driven cars that see track use imo. I've had plenty of experience with top shelf seats & the Nogaros are very rare in that they offer the best of both worlds. Cobra will also tailor make them however you want. Mine when they arrive will be very oem looking as I intend on keeping my rear seat & full interior. Ive ordered BMW full leather, BMW polar blue stitching & am using my oem electric slides, optional also are seat heaters, lumbar adjust, Carbon construction, different thickness cushioning, painted backs etc. All other aftermarket seats will need to be retrimmed after you buy them if you want a true oem look which obviously is more expense. The Nogaros are also compatible with 5/6 point harness use. Nogaro seats are also the only aftermarket seat approved for use with the Schroth QuickFit Pro belts which i intend using as I need to use my HANS device & I don't want a cage or harness bar.

My Megane RS275R (pictured) came with factory fitted Recaro Pole Position seats & whilst they are fantastic on track they aren't as street use friendly as the Nogaro due to the hip belt slots in the seats.
My Clio RS200 (pictured) & my Mini JCW (pictured) both came with factory fitted Recaro cs Sportster seats & whilst being fantastic for street use they aren't as good for track use due to not being fixed backs thus collapsible with a harness therefore not approved in some levels of competition.
I have fitted Cobra Evolutions in my tarmac rally car (pictured), which are obviously top shelf race seats but virtually unusable on road stretches between stages.

Unlike the M2C or M2CS seats which are really only for street use, the new Carbon seats being fitted to the G8X M3 & M4 fall into the same bracket as the Recaro cs Sportster in that they will be great for street use & occasional track use but you won't be able to use them in certain classes/levels of competition due to being 2 piece seats. Also no 2 piece seat will ever be as light or rigid as a 1 piece seat.

It all really depends what you intend to do with your car. Imo the best options on the market are Cobra Nogaro & Recaro Pole position if you want a 1 piece, or the Recaro cs Sportster & new BMW Carbon seat if you want a 2 piece.

If you look at how the manufacturers fit oem fixed back seats to serious performance cars such as the BMW M3 CSL & M4 GTS, plus Porsche GT cars & Renault RS cars you'll understand the best way to go about it & the best seats to use.
Attached Images

Last edited by TargaM2; 12-18-2020 at 02:48 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2020, 06:29 AM   #31
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaM2 View Post
Just ordered a set of Cobra Nogaro seats, definitely the best option for street driven cars that see track use imo. I've had plenty of experience with top shelf seats & the Nogaros are very rare in that they offer the best of both worlds. Cobra will also tailor make them however you want. Mine when they arrive will be very oem looking as I intend on keeping my rear seat & full interior. Ive ordered BMW full leather, BMW polar blue stitching & am using my oem electric slides, optional also are seat heaters, lumbar adjust, Carbon construction, different thickness cushioning, painted backs etc. All other aftermarket seats will need to be retrimmed after you buy them if you want a true oem look which obviously is more expense. The Nogaros are also compatible with 5/6 point harness use. Nogaro seats are also the only aftermarket seat approved for use with the Schroth QuickFit Pro belts which i intend using as I need to use my HANS device & I don't want a cage or harness bar.

My Megane RS275R (pictured) came with factory fitted Recaro Pole Position seats & whilst they are fantastic on track they aren't as street use friendly as the Nogaro due to the hip belt slots in the seats.
My Clio RS200 (pictured) & my Mini JCW (pictured) both came with factory fitted Recaro cs Sportster seats & whilst being fantastic for street use they aren't as good for track use due to not being fixed backs thus collapsible with a harness therefore not approved in some levels of competition.
I have fitted Cobra Evolutions in my tarmac rally car (pictured), which are obviously top shelf race seats but virtually unusable on road stretches between stages.

Unlike the M2C or M2CS seats which are really only for street use, the new Carbon seats being fitted to the G8X M3 & M4 fall into the same bracket as the Recaro cs Sportster in that they will be great for street use & occasional track use but you won't be able to use them in certain classes/levels of competition due to being 2 piece seats. Also no 2 piece seat will ever be as light or rigid as a 1 piece seat.

It all really depends what you intend to do with your car. Imo the best options on the market are Cobra Nogaro & Recaro Pole position if you want a 1 piece, or the Recaro cs Sportster & new BMW Carbon seat if you want a 2 piece.

If you look at how the manufacturers fit oem fixed back seats to serious performance cars such as the BMW M3 CSL & M4 GTS, plus Porsche GT cars & Renault RS cars you'll understand the best way to go about it & the best seats to use.
100% this, same conclusion that I reached after a lot of research.

I had the CSs in my previous car and while I loved them, on track they are only slightly better than the stock M2C seats (the "M" seats which are not standard everywhere). Keep in mind I am a small human though (175 cm 5 foot 8 and 65KG), if you are a large human the CSs might hug you quite nicely.

The Nogaro's only downside is that the bottom bolsters are not very high like a "real bucket". Have not had a go on track so unsure how much that matters. If you remove the lower seat pad the bolsters are as tall/deep as a "real" bucket though. I can't do this sadly as then the shoulder harness holes are too high to use a HANS and would be unsafe.
      12-19-2020, 07:53 PM   #32
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

I'm running sparco Evo L with qrt technology. Schroth ASM 4 pt to a welded in 4 point cage. With macth SChnell brackets and sliders.

The sparco quality is trash. So I had my buddy shane Diego designs reupholster them in Dakota black, anthercite alcantara and polar blue stitching. They are perfect on track.

I went with this seat cause it fit me the best. Buy a seat that fits you the best. I wanted recaros but they don't fit me well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
bentom2335.50
      12-19-2020, 09:48 PM   #33
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWC-F87 View Post
I'm running sparco Evo L with qrt technology. Schroth ASM 4 pt to a welded in 4 point cage. With macth SChnell brackets and sliders.

The sparco quality is trash. So I had my buddy shane Diego designs reupholster them in Dakota black, anthercite alcantara and polar blue stitching. They are perfect on track.

I went with this seat cause it fit me the best. Buy a seat that fits you the best. I wanted recaros but they don't fit me well.
That looks fantastic. I have a set of Sparco REV2 going into my other car right now and have been consider reupholstering them due to the cheap materials used by Sparco. Probably fine at the end of the day for that car, but good call for a nice, modern car.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 10:52 AM   #34
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentom2 View Post
Quote:

That looks fantastic. I have a set of Sparco REV2 going into my other car right now and have been consider reupholstering them due to the cheap materials used by Sparco. Probably fine at the end of the day for that car, but good call for a nice, modern car.
Thanks man!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 01:26 PM   #35
K-Fab
Dirt Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
Yeah, that looks good - and agreed on the getting a comfy seat. I've been a Sparco user for years now.

Have decided that instead of changing seats out fully, I'll spend another 30 minutes and just pull the Sparco out of my desert car and put it into the M2 during track prep. I'll get another base for the M2.

Tested how quickly I can remove the seat from the desert car the other day and it's quick and painless. Remove four easy to get to bolts, unclip the harness and it's out.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW-What a Ride!'" - Anonymous
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 01:50 PM   #36
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Fab View Post
Yeah, that looks good - and agreed on the getting a comfy seat. I've been a Sparco user for years now.

Have decided that instead of changing seats out fully, I'll spend another 30 minutes and just pull the Sparco out of my desert car and put it into the M2 during track prep. I'll get another base for the M2.

Tested how quickly I can remove the seat from the desert car the other day and it's quick and painless. Remove four easy to get to bolts, unclip the harness and it's out.
Interesting.

Are you running a cage, or are you planning to run the fixed back seats without one?

What are you doing about the airbag sensors in the oem seats?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2021, 10:21 AM   #37
M2C AW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C Alpine White

Quote:
I’ve considered that seat.
How well does the Evo L fit in the M2 ?
Is that the US version ?
Are you able to center it to the steering wheel ?
Any tight spots in general ?

If you don’t mind..what are your dimensions?
Height
Inseam
Waste
Weight

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 12:22 AM   #38
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C AW View Post
Quote:
I've considered that seat.
How well does the Evo L fit in the M2 ?
Is that the US version ?
Are you able to center it to the steering wheel ?
Any tight spots in general ?

If you don't mind..what are your dimensions?
Height
Inseam
Waste
Weight

Thanks
I'm fairly picky about being centered to the wheel. It feels fine.

I'm 6'4" 215-220lbs. Wide back, muscular build. Idk my in seem and that stuff lol.

The seat fits really well. Not too tight in the m2
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 08:29 AM   #39
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

I'm a wider guy (5'10", 220lbs) and tried a number of seats. The Sparco QRT-R fit my hips perfectly and the shoulder support is perfect.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 10:37 AM   #40
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
The Nogaro's only downside is that the bottom bolsters are not very high like a "real bucket". Have not had a go on track so unsure how much that matters. If you remove the lower seat pad the bolsters are as tall/deep as a "real" bucket though. I can't do this sadly as then the shoulder harness holes are too high to use a HANS and would be unsafe.
I've got two track days and probably eight autocross days with mine and I've felt really well planted. With a four or six point, you're not going anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 04:04 AM   #41
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asciimike View Post
I've got two track days and probably eight autocross days with mine and I've felt really well planted. With a four or six point, you're not going anywhere.
Dont tell me this haha. I really want the Nogaro's but not in the budget at the moment. Glad to hear they work as i want to keep some comfort (and heated seats )
      01-04-2021, 09:36 AM   #42
Obioban
Emperor
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by asciimike View Post
100% agreed. I don't even use my extra thin bottom cushion that I bought for track use (fearing this aspect of the nogaros before I had them).

I even have heater pads in my extra thin bottom cushions :P

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 11:27 AM   #43
M2C AW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C Alpine White

I have Nogaros (w/ 6-point harness.). More than sufficient lateral support in hip and shoulder area.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 03:16 PM   #44
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2015 Renault RS275R  [9.50]
2019 Renault RS280  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
My custom nogaros are on the other side of the world at cobra being stitched together & this thread is not helping things.