BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Plant Preparation For Future G42 (next gen 2er coupe) & G87 (next gen M2)

10-30-2019, 01:56 PM   #133
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

This is a move to keep their shareholders happy, with no real benefit to consumers except maybe with a shorter delivery time to the US.
If quality remains the same and doesn't impact demand it's all good...

Name:  greed-is-good.png
Views: 620
Size:  151.0 KB
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      10-30-2019, 02:17 PM   #134
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mm2 View Post
Quote:

This is a move to keep their shareholders happy, with no real benefit to consumers except maybe with a shorter delivery time to the US.
If quality remains the same and doesn't impact demand it's all good...
It probably would remain the same, I mean any human being can be trained to properly work a conveyor belt or turn a screw but my grievances is with the loss of heritage not actual manpower, as irrational as it sounds.

Love that "Greed is Good" speech, I rewatch it ever so often and apparently so does BMW corporate..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 02:21 PM   #135
AngryBaby
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Aside from EU delivery not being an option, don't get the negativity of the car being built in Mexico. All BMWs are built the same in any of its factories across the world. They have a brand and reputation to uphold. So, get over it.
I understand the euro delivery thing. That is a huge part of the experience and if not an option. On being built in Mexico not sure about bmw but here is my experience. I have owned 4 German built bmws and they were all unreliable cars compared to Japanese cars I owned. I bought a German built 2008 VW GTI and we had all sorts of electrical and engine leak and oil consumption problems. We traded in for a Mexican built 2017 VW GTI and have not had a single issue in 2 years as 22k miles. So that's my Mexican built experience. My mom has a Mexican built 2013 VW Jetta GLI and only issue in 6 years and 70k miles is one coil going out and when I took it out appears to have come from Europe . Finally my best friend born in Hamburg and a Porsche fan VW hater checked out 2017 GTI and wasn't able to see anything that made the fit and finish appear to be less than out German model. Neither can I and I love German cars. I also have my biases but If a Mexican built M2 is cheaper and as good as the German one that might not be so bad. This reminds me of when California wines were winning awards but people were saying but they have to come from France to be great!
California wines are shit compared to French wine. Sorry
Not always true over the past decade+
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 02:31 PM   #136
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It probably would remain the same, I mean any human being can be trained to properly work a conveyor belt or turn a screw but my grievances is with the loss of heritage not actual manpower, as irrational as it sounds.
Doesn't sound irrational to me as I am thinking the same way.

Unfortunately one must be competitive to innovate.

"sometimes to create one must first destroy..."
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      10-30-2019, 04:07 PM   #137
dtmurf
Captain
Rep

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
I went with my father to Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen for the pickup of his 981 Boxster back in 2013, had an awesome time. Although interestingly, while Zuffenhausen (911 and Cayman/Boxster are made there) offers factory tours, the other location Leipzig (where the Cayenne, Macan and Panamera are made), offer a chance to drive a similarly spec-ed vehicle (to the one you purchased) on their on-site track. I'm surprised they don't have that in Zuffenhausen for their actual sports cars!
They don't have enough room in Zuffenhausen for the factory let alone a track!
      10-30-2019, 05:08 PM   #138
Al1969
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Open your mind. Pay respect.

M for Mexican car

Thats weird viewed by Swiss M fans... really weird

Hybrid, G80 grill, now Mexican M2 ... BMW Management is destroying the brand

Appreciate 1
ried791.50
      10-30-2019, 10:03 PM   #139
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
M for Mexican car

Thats weird viewed by Swiss M fans... really weird

Hybrid, G80 grill, now Mexican M2 ... BMW Management is destroying the brand

Hybrid? Not every car will be a hybrid, and I prefer them to keep up with their competitors technically and also from a regulatory perspective.

The grille, you may have a point.

Mexican production? Not a problem. Did you have a problem with BMWs produced in South Africa or South Carolina? How about the Z4 built by Magna? The reality is that the build quality of the cars from South Carolina is indistinguishable to the German built models. How can that be when it's built by lazy Americans? It's almost like BMW knows how to run a manufacturing business and ensure consistent quality across multiple sites...

You know, so many people blamed the poor quality of American cars on American workers, but in reality the failure is always a failure of management, process, and/or design-for-manufacturability. All those German workers must be why S54, S65, and S85 engines have consistent rod bearing problems and S55 spins crank hubs.

Look at Tesla, they have trouble putting cars together right now without embarrassing defects, but I doubt their workers are any less competent than those BMW employs in South Carolina. It's an organizational failure.
Appreciate 1
Hankdoll135.50
      10-30-2019, 10:41 PM   #140
Poochie
United_States
Rep

I guess they have a new letter VIN to identify the "Plant of Manufacture" assembled in Mexico.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 11:57 PM   #141
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/mid/home/...c-b37d68f7170e
Name:  plant.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  28.5 KB

Last edited by BMWGirlFL; 10-31-2019 at 12:03 AM..
Appreciate 2
Poochie9104.50
Artemis29405.50
      10-31-2019, 12:10 AM   #142
Poochie
United_States
Rep

The 3 series in production in the San Luis Potosí Plant in Mexico:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
They're the same KUKAs you'll see in any other BMW plant, configured by the same German and Eastern European engineers as in any other BMW plant. There's very little done by live humans during final assembly compared to all other work that goes into building a modern car.

The operation looks identical to the SC & German sites.
Appreciate 2
chris7197334.00
      10-31-2019, 04:33 AM   #143
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Disagree. Why did the guys from Harry's razors buy an old German factory during their start up and then advertise their razors are MADE IN Germany? They sure as hell didn't say their razors are German designed

How about our extensive set of Wusthof cutlery. German designed. Made in China I think not.

It doesn't even have to be about Germany. I can name numerous products where people would expect said product to be DESIGNED AND MANUFACTURED in country.

Sorry. It cheapens the product and not in good way.
Because Harry's are marketing to stupid people, or they got a really good deal?

Who knows? I have no experience with their crappy razors, other than a quick Google search which indicates they are lower quality than Gillette. Their own marketing text says German engineered also, btw. I am just a tiny bit sure that Gillette-style razor blade cartridges are almost entirely made by machine. Those German robots sure are fastidious compared to others. Do you think your iPhone would have tighter tolerances if manufactured in Stuttgart?

Some of the most complex manufacturing in the world goes on right now in China. It is the cumulative result of hundreds of thousands of man hours of work by process engineers. Humans, on the whole, cannot be trusted to do consistent work unless it's trivial.

The idea that BMW cannot control the quality of a car being produced in Mexico is absurd. If anything, it could be one of their better facilities because it's 100% brand new. If you want to say that it's a shame that BMW is giving this work to Mexican workers rather than their own native German workers, then that's completely different and valid.

There are a lot of examples of moving manufacturing elsewhere resulting in a lower quality product, but that's not just because of the location or the quality of employees. Most of that stuff is contracted out or done by companies that don't have a commitment to quality.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 04:52 AM   #144
Al1969
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Because Harry's are marketing to stupid people, or they got a really good deal?

Who knows? I have no experience with their crappy razors, other than a quick Google search which indicates they are lower quality than Gillette. Their own marketing text says German engineered also, btw. I am just a tiny bit sure that Gillette-style razor blade cartridges are almost entirely made by machine. Those German robots sure are fastidious compared to others. Do you think your iPhone would have tighter tolerances if manufactured in Stuttgart?

Some of the most complex manufacturing in the world goes on right now in China. It is the cumulative result of hundreds of thousands of man hours of work by process engineers. Humans, on the whole, cannot be trusted to do consistent work unless it's trivial.

The idea that BMW cannot control the quality of a car being produced in Mexico is absurd. If anything, it could be one of their better facilities because it's 100% brand new. If you want to say that it's a shame that BMW is giving this work to Mexican workers rather than their own native German workers, then that's completely different and valid.

To build mass products around the World is a reality now and no problem if X3/5 cars are built in US or even Mexico
The issue of having one of the M model built far away from the engineering center is in my view a stupid decision, like Alpina or AMG, the successful stories of Motorsport premium cars is to rather concentrate such high performance line of products in a single place, where engineering is combined with hand made and passion of excellence.

But the feeling is that we are just stupid buyers for the current BMW Mgmt, they trust its enough to put their products in front of us together with nice pictures and stories, that will be enough to keep alive the M legend whatever is the manufacturing process/location.
Well that is a risky route, because the M2 is part of the M family...
M town ... M what?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 05:06 AM   #145
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
To build mass products around the World is a reality now and no problem if X3/5 cars are built in US or even Mexico
The issue of having one of the M model built far away from the engineering center is in my view a stupid decision, like Alpina or AMG, the successful stories of Motorsport premium cars is to rather concentrate such high performance line of products in a single place, where engineering is combined with hand made and passion of excellence.

But the feeling is that we are just stupid buyers for the current BMW Mgmt, they trust its enough to put their products in front of us together with nice pictures and stories, that will be enough to keep alive the M legend whatever is the manufacturing process/location.
Well that is a risky route, because the M2 is part of the M family...
M town ... M what?
BMW has already built Z4M and now X3M/X4M outside of Germany. The engines and transmissions are built in Germany and shipped to the factories. The rest of the car is basically standard.

The reality is you don't want a human building anything if you can manage it. The magic is in the design, not the manufacturing. There are a lot of engineers paid a lot of money to make it so that any monkey with opposable thumbs can build your car.'

Mercedes AMG and the Nissan GT-R team liked to brag about hand-built engines. It sounds charming, but do we really want an engine built by someone who was distracted by personal problems that day?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 06:08 AM   #146
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Hybrid? Not every car will be a hybrid, and I prefer them to keep up with their competitors technically and also from a regulatory perspective.

The grille, you may have a point.

Mexican production? Not a problem. Did you have a problem with BMWs produced in South Africa or South Carolina? How about the Z4 built by Magna? The reality is that the build quality of the cars from South Carolina is indistinguishable to the German built models. How can that be when it's built by lazy Americans? It's almost like BMW knows how to run a manufacturing business and ensure consistent quality across multiple sites...

You know, so many people blamed the poor quality of American cars on American workers, but in reality the failure is always a failure of management, process, and/or design-for-manufacturability. All those German workers must be why S54, S65, and S85 engines have consistent rod bearing problems and S55 spins crank hubs.

Look at Tesla, they have trouble putting cars together right now without embarrassing defects, but I doubt their workers are any less competent than those BMW employs in South Carolina. It's an organizational failure.
This maybe an exception but I can state that my 4 series built in Germany is a lot tighter than my wife’s X3 built in South Carolina.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 11:48 AM   #147
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Name:  57F5EFE7-02A5-4218-92BE-5A0C9A46F01D.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  15.8 KB
      10-31-2019, 12:12 PM   #148
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

I've never seen such a nonsensical thread.
chris7197334.00
SAMM3Y3085.00
pz6193278.50
Tag18149.00
      10-31-2019, 08:30 PM   #149
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
If they post it they will come.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 11:39 PM   #150
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Was going to stay out of this, but the absurdity honestly compels me to write a bit about this.

The quality isn’t likely to be any worse or better than the other global manufacturing facilities BMW has. The quality and success of this plant has far more to do with the standard work and processes that BMW puts in place versus the nationality of the workers. The only question is can BMW provide enough training and do it effectively enough that initial plant quality doesn’t suffer. Or more succinctly put, can they train up their staff fast enough to match the quality from other plants. Honestly, I’m not worried. It’s not like BMW is so siloed as an organization that one plant operates from a completely different set of standards than another. Country of manufacturing origin isn’t the be all to end all. Look at some of the things that came out of the US? No one is saying Tesla’s quality is amazing and that’s in a pretty decent area in terms of manufacturing plants. Yet I think we’re all pretty much ok with Spartanburg. The companies knowledge of manufacturing as a whole is far more important than assembly point.

Second, this is assembly more than manufacturing from a human perspective. Robots do most of the welding, painting, etc. Humans do some of the other tasks that require some more articulation. Virtually all of it double checked using computer assisted QA. Finally, where do you think the components from the car is generally coming from? I’m not talking about what the window sticker says. Fun fact: you order circuit boards from China and put that in another component that “transforms” the part (US Custom’s words, not mine) and all of the sudden you can say its a US part. This applies to most of the world as well. The car you are driving TODAY is far more “foreign” than you realize.

Source: Most of my career has been spent in global manufacturing processes.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 01:32 AM   #151
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

The focus of this thread should be that there will be a next generation M2! Great news considering BMW recently announced current production vehicles that will be getting axed. You'd think people would be celebrating that a new M2 is in the works. Instead the focus is on where the car is being built.

Some people don't know what they have until it's gone. Grow up.

"The rear-wheel-drive 1 Series, the 2 Series, and lower-trim 3 Series variants contribute very little if anything at all to the bottom line, and the company has established a list of doomed models. In addition to the three-door 1 Series, 2 Series Gran Tourer, and 3 Series GT, tombstones are being chiseled for the 2 Series convertible, standard-wheelbase 7 Series, Z4 replacement (sorry, Toyota), and both two-door 8 Series variants.
"

Source:
Automobile: What’s Going on at BMW? Many Future/Current Cars Are Being Axed
Appreciate 1
BMWGirlFL6277.50
      11-01-2019, 01:38 AM   #152
Al1969
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The focus of this thread should be that there will be a next generation M2! Great news considering BMW recently announced current production vehicles that will be getting axed. You'd think people would be celebrating that a new M2 is in the works. Instead the focus is on where the car is being built.

Some people don't know what they have until it's gone. Grow up.

"The rear-wheel-drive 1 Series, the 2 Series, and lower-trim 3 Series variants contribute very little if anything at all to the bottom line, and the company has established a list of doomed models. In addition to the three-door 1 Series, 2 Series Gran Tourer, and 3 Series GT, tombstones are being chiseled for the 2 Series convertible, standard-wheelbase 7 Series, Z4 replacement (sorry, Toyota), and both two-door 8 Series variants.
"

Source:
Automobile: What’s Going on at BMW? Many Future/Current Cars Are Being Axed
Thought it was M / M2 forum
Announcing M2 production in Mexico, this is where the non-sense comes from, can be that some readers don’t perceive the potential M brand damage, maybe they are not really M fans, or maybe simply part of the decision process

M town?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 06:14 AM   #153
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
You don't get out much do you...
Appreciate 4
AngryBaby344.50
Bimmed Out1908.50
ried791.50
///M TOWN16524.50
      11-01-2019, 07:17 AM   #154
BMWGirlFL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you for making OP's point!!
Appreciate 0