BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Thoughts on the M2 competition after driving M4 non ZCP and M4 ZCP

06-26-2018, 01:55 PM   #1
Day Laborer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS / iX 50i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Thoughts on the M2 competition after driving M4 non ZCP and M4 ZCP

I initially hated the F82 when it was first released after test driving it while comparing it to my then E92 M3 and F10 M5.
Personally, power delivery comes on too strong and tapers off towards the redline-- it wasn't linear, kinda like a roller coaster.

As you know, the E92's V8's power climbed all the way to redline, and the F10's power came on very strong, but held its power delivery all the way to the redline. The F80 to me felt like it was trying to hard to create power.

Years later I was able to drive the F82 M4 ZCP and I really believed it was very different- almost want to say it was about 75-80% of how my M4 GTS felt like in terms of stability and power delivery.

My friend and I went to test drive the 2015 M4 and 2017 M4 Competition Package back to back at the dealership; the difference between the two are night and day!

Progressive linear power delivery the car felt much more stable when pushing its power, and overall felt like an entirely different car!
I am a firm believer that no tune can be made available to mimic the ZCP's power curve, but I could be wrong

At the end, both my friend and I felt like the original M2's power delivery was very similar to the F82 M4 ZCP's

My thoughts led me to believe that the new M2 Competition will likely feel just like that non ZCP F80; where the S55's power delivery will be similar to the non ZCP F80/82.

More power for sure; but to me its power, which may be more difficult to control and it didn't give me the same satisfaction as a linear power band.

Has anyone else here had similar experience? What are your thoughts?
Part-time with Next Level Auto Brokers, LLC https://www.instagram.com/nextlevelautobrokers/

Last edited by Day Laborer; 06-26-2018 at 02:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 02:15 PM   #2
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

You will get differing opinions on this, but the 2015's felt a lot more powerful at launch (low rpm torque). The Competition pack seemed to make the lower end torque less manic and more refined. Many, like myself, like the manic power down low matched with a 6MT, it feels a little more edgy and fun.

I think the M2C will feel much different than both, because of the shorter wheelbase. It should be a blast, but surprising how different a car can feel when the torque mapping is adjusted.
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2018, 02:36 PM   #3
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Laborer View Post
My thoughts led me to believe that the new M2 Competition will likely feel just like that non ZCP F80; where the S55's power delivery will be similar to the non ZCP F80/82.
Curious what led you to this conclusion. If anything they are both Competition cars so logically one would assume the M2c would be more like the M4 ZCP. No?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 02:44 PM   #4
Day Laborer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
You will get differing opinions on this, but the 2015's felt a lot more powerful at launch (low rpm torque). The Competition pack seemed to make the lower end torque less manic and more refined. Many, like myself, like the manic power down low matched with a 6MT, it feels a little more edgy and fun.

I think the M2C will feel much different than both, because of the shorter wheelbase. It should be a blast, but surprising how different a car can feel when the torque mapping is adjusted.
Great thoughts! I am dying for some reviews for the M2C!

In my opinion, BMW creates variances within its model line ups, like the ZCP package to cater to different customer preferences- perhaps this is the route bmw has taken with the M2C, despite the original M2's discontinuation.

In the future, I wonder if the original M2 will be more desirable for people who track their cars than the M2C.
Part-time with Next Level Auto Brokers, LLC https://www.instagram.com/nextlevelautobrokers/
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 02:50 PM   #5
Day Laborer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Curious what led you to this conclusion. If anything they are both Competition cars so logically one would assume the M2c would be more like the M4 ZCP. No?
Maybe in my head, I think that BMW is just dropping the outgoing non-ZCP S55 motor into the M2C, and that outgoing motor is likely intended to be raw, and overpowering in the same way when the F80 was released.
I most certainly could be wrong, but the questions left unanswered would be:

Is it a detuned S55, or a detuned S55 ZCP mapping?
Only time will tell I guess
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 02:58 PM   #6
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Base M4 vs M4 ZCP

Near identical power curves. Difference being zcp has more power.

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 03:06 PM   #7
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

It will ultimately come down to how the power is put down. M2C recieved new stability control tuning, it has been a costant evolution since the F series chassis and S55 was introduced. The way the M2C will put down power will be similar to newer S55 models.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 03:09 PM   #8
Day Laborer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
Base M4 vs M4 ZCP

Thanks for the that graph; its pretty crazy how different the two feel when driven back to back.

I wonder how difficult it will be to test drive the new M2C before purchasing
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 03:10 PM   #9
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Well I don't know if you are aware but many tuners now have original DME files of various S55 variants such as ZCP, CS, GTS etc and they are able to flash these OEM DME files to any S55. I personally do not care how the stock power delivery on the M2C is going to be since I'll be flashing M4 CS map to mine right after my break-in service.

Again, these maps are not CS-like or ZCP-like maps that were developed by some tuners to imitate or behave like genuine BMW software. They are genuine BMW ZCP, CS, or GTS maps that were just made "flashable" (bypassing BMW's security checks) by tuners.
Appreciate 2
///M Houbi1655.00
      06-26-2018, 03:55 PM   #10
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Well I don't know if you are aware but many tuners now have original DME files of various S55 variants such as ZCP, CS, GTS etc and they are able to flash these OEM DME files to any S55. I personally do not care how the stock power delivery on the M2C is going to be since I'll be flashing M4 CS map to mine right after my break-in service.

Again, these maps are not CS-like or ZCP-like maps that were developed by some tuners to imitate or behave like genuine BMW software. They are genuine BMW ZCP, CS, or GTS maps that were just made "flashable" (bypassing BMW's security checks) by tuners.
Yep BM3 after break-in. Now that it's OBD based and they can delete the flash counter what is there to lose? Mine will be full e85 Cary tune.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 04:05 PM   #11
seis-speed
#savethemanuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M | GT3 | J392 | GRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
Base M4 vs M4 ZCP

[IMG]https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7177/2...a8aa8f80_b.jpg[/IMG]
Yes, I believe they changed the mapping on all 2016 vehicles. Lots of complaints about suspension and traction, which I never understood.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 04:17 PM   #12
mastermav
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 F82

Original curve for F82 2016 was bad, almost up to the point where car either always interfere with driving by turning on nannies or simply spinning wheels when pushed. It was very annoying, I'm glad they did.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 06:11 PM   #13
YasF80_SLO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Nissan Versa S  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day Laborer View Post
I initially hated the F82 when it was first released after test driving it while comparing it to my then E92 M3 and F10 M5.
Personally, power delivery comes on too strong and tapers off towards the redline-- it wasn't linear, kinda like a roller coaster.

As you know, the E92's V8's power climbed all the way to redline, and the F10's power came on very strong, but held its power delivery all the way to the redline. The F80 to me felt like it was trying to hard to create power.

Years later I was able to drive the F82 M4 ZCP and I really believed it was very different- almost want to say it was about 75-80% of how my M4 GTS felt like in terms of stability and power delivery.

My friend and I went to test drive the 2015 M4 and 2017 M4 Competition Package back to back at the dealership; the difference between the two are night and day!

Progressive linear power delivery the car felt much more stable when pushing its power, and overall felt like an entirely different car!
I am a firm believer that no tune can be made available to mimic the ZCP's power curve, but I could be wrong

At the end, both my friend and I felt like the original M2's power delivery was very similar to the F82 M4 ZCP's

More power for sure; but to me its power, which may be more difficult to control and it didn't give me the same satisfaction as a linear power band.

Has anyone else here had similar experience? What are your thoughts?
Published power band from BMW says peak torque from 2350 to 5200 and then peak horsepower from 5250~ to 7000 so i would imagine from 2,000 to 7000 it feels pretty near linear. with power tapering off up to redline.

so just shift at 7,000
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 02:37 PM   #14
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Yep BM3 after break-in. Now that it's OBD based and they can delete the flash counter what is there to lose? Mine will be full e85 Cary tune.
Your warranty?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 03:13 PM   #15
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Your warranty?
Nope. Hense the flash counter comment.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 04:58 PM   #16
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Your warranty?
Nope. Hense the flash counter comment.
Pretty sure BMW can still figure out if you flashed your car if they want to know, like in the case of an expensive repair.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      06-28-2018, 06:16 AM   #17
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Pretty sure BMW can still figure out if you flashed your car if they want to know, like in the case of an expensive repair.
They never found out in my f80 or my f82 and i had some large items fixed.
Appreciate 0