BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > What to order if I don't like any of the color choices?

06-27-2018, 12:00 AM   #23
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget M3 View Post
+$5k is irrational....Pcar paint to match is INSANITY!
I'd pay that for a 911 in Irish Green...
      06-27-2018, 12:50 AM   #24
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

They wouldn't even put manual seats in one for me on the OG M2. You pretty much "get what you get" on these.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 10:25 AM   #25
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tekcorps View Post
They wouldn't even put manual seats in one for me
BMW Marketing Team:

Appreciate 2
BruceM984.50
      06-27-2018, 04:56 PM   #26
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

Quote:
Thanks to all for the inputs. I just placed the order for LBB. Guess I'll have to wait 20-years until the car needs a paint job to convert it to the Interlagos that I really wanted. If they come out with Interlagos for this car in 2020, I'll have an LBB for sale, so I guess that'll cost me at least $5k in depreciation anyway
I had an Interlagos E46 M3 Comp and yes the color is stunning and turned heads everywhere but I like LBB almost just as much. To each his own I guess !!
Appreciate 1
Budget M3125.00
      06-27-2018, 05:33 PM   #27
IAF
Private
England
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperrift View Post
BMW will actually paint it whatever color, but it will cost you way more than $5,000. Some guy had a factory painted Austin yellow m2 you can Google for.
Yes and no... The story is slightly different. The owner asked BMW if they could do it and at what cost. BMW Individual said it costs 60K EUR for the color and stitching inside...

They thought the owner would say too expensive, leave it. Instead he said, go for it and they did it accordingly, because they could not say no to an important customer. If you ask for the same now, it is absolute NO! Not happening again... I have tried and tried, and it is impossible. We have to use the colors we have, and I have chosen HS, and will run it in that color initially.

Over the winter, I will wrap it many other colors that are not available right now. I have two designs in my mind right now. For me it is key that I have a M color and even though Sunset Orange has an interesting side to it every single freaking BMW runs that color. I simply do not want to end up at a M car meet parked alongside a M140i or M240i in that color...

MR
How long do you think HS will remain an M exclusive colour?

I feel its going to be one filtered across other non M cars over the coming years.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 07:04 PM   #28
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAF View Post
Quote:
Quote:
BMW will actually paint it whatever color, but it will cost you way more than $5,000. Some guy had a factory painted Austin yellow m2 you can Google for.
Yes and no... The story is slightly different. The owner asked BMW if they could do it and at what cost. BMW Individual said it costs 60K EUR for the color and stitching inside...

They thought the owner would say too expensive, leave it. Instead he said, go for it and they did it accordingly, because they could not say no to an important customer. If you ask for the same now, it is absolute NO! Not happening again... I have tried and tried, and it is impossible. We have to use the colors we have, and I have chosen HS, and will run it in that color initially.

Over the winter, I will wrap it many other colors that are not available right now. I have two designs in my mind right now. For me it is key that I have a M color and even though Sunset Orange has an interesting side to it every single freaking BMW runs that color. I simply do not want to end up at a M car meet parked alongside a M140i or M240i in that color...

MR
How long do you think HS will remain an M exclusive colour?

I feel its going to be one filtered across other non M cars over the coming years.
I have the same feeling. But I don't see it getting much use on other colors being so close to white. It doesn't seem like a VO to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 07:31 PM   #29
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

neener, neener, neener....I am keeping my LCI & it's MGM
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
M-Pilot4859.00
///M Houbi1653.00
Cavpilot2k1023.00
      06-27-2018, 08:26 PM   #30
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ruder View Post
MGM would be my first choice among these options if it was still available
Appreciate 1
Cavpilot2k1023.00
      06-27-2018, 08:49 PM   #31
Budget M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
I'd pay that for a 911 in Irish Green...
Problem is that paint to match fr a Pcar is more like $10k+!!!
'85 M635CSi Alpine w/buffalo; '03 M3 Conv, Imola
‘85 323i Baur; ‘02 X5 4.6is Estoril; ‘95 Racing Dynamics K30.4
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 10:06 PM   #32
m981addicts
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 98Mz3-09-135i6sp-13-135isDCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
Quote:
Quote:

MR
60K euro for a paint job is an absolute disgusting waste of money no matter how rich you are.
Rich people don't spend foolishly like that—that's how they STAY rich.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 12:56 AM   #33
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Went to order my car today and was told Individual colors not available for this car. WTH? I'm willing to spend an unreasonable and irrational extra $5k for a color I love, but I can't have it on an M2C? I can get it on just about any other car in the model range, but not the M2. Where's the rationale in that?

Now I have to choose from a palette which fills me with "meh" and whose best choice for a car that will stand out are LBB and SO? ...and don't tell me to just wrap it. Spending $3k on a quality wrap that I have to remove in 3yrs or I may damage the paint underneath is even more irrational than spending $5k on a factory paint job.

Seems like many are going for LBB, so I am tempted to order SO just to be different. I am having a hard time getting over the stigma of SO on an M car when it is more often seen on X1 and X2's.

What to do?
With $5k of budget I think you can take it to a good BMW repair shop and have them respray the car in any colour you want. They can add more paint coatings as well and you don’t have to live with the orange peel effect.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 01:32 AM   #34
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
With $5k of budget I think you can take it to a good BMW repair shop and have them respray the car in any colour you want. They can add more paint coatings as well and you don’t have to live with the orange peel effect.
Could be wrong, but I don't think you can get a complete paint job of factory quality for even close to $5k. It requires everything to be ripped out / off the car. It also will harm the resale value.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 02:15 AM   #35
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Could be wrong, but I don't think you can get a complete paint job of factory quality for even close to $5k. It requires everything to be ripped out / off the car. It also will harm the resale value.
$5k is actually in the premium bracket. Some do go higher. Factory paint job is nothing to brag about. You can get better finishing from a good BMW repair shop (painter trained by BMW) and adding extra layers of paint at your request (extra cost of course).

I don't believe it will harm the resale as the paint job is not because of a repair from a crash.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 07:08 AM   #36
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Get it wrapped
Appreciate 1
3tekcorps826.00
      06-28-2018, 08:37 AM   #37
3tekcorps
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ruder View Post
Fat kid with small brakes should go back to his glass house, before he gets beat up.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 08:52 AM   #38
3tekcorps
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
$5k is actually in the premium bracket. Some do go higher. Factory paint job is nothing to brag about. You can get better finishing from a good BMW repair shop (painter trained by BMW) and adding extra layers of paint at your request (extra cost of course).

I don't believe it will harm the resale as the paint job is not because of a repair from a crash.
That's just double crazy talk there. Unless your scale starts with Maaco paint jobs. There's no way i'd buy a full respray without serious price discounting. That's why people brag about it in advertisements if they have a minty car with no paint work. I'd expect a Premium job to be north of $10,000 if done correctly. Unless you know a guy who works about of his garage and does good work, but he's got no spray booth so you're going to have dust in the paint.

OP:

Changing colors is a huge job to do correctly. Go spend 15 minutes looking at your car and thinking of all areas that get exposed when you open doors, hood, trunk. All those cracks get hand sanded...primed...sanded...painted. If not done correctly the paint is falling off in 12 months. You really should pull the glass and doors too. What about the back side of the hood/trunk?

Just wrap it or pick a color and live with it.
Appreciate 1
chris7197331.50
      06-28-2018, 10:00 AM   #39
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
That's just double crazy talk there. Unless your scale starts with Maaco paint jobs. There's no way i'd buy a full respray without serious price discounting. That's why people brag about it in advertisements if they have a minty car with no paint work. I'd expect a Premium job to be north of $10,000 if done correctly. Unless you know a guy who works about of his garage and does good work, but he's got no spray booth so you're going to have dust in the paint.

OP:

Changing colors is a huge job to do correctly. Go spend 15 minutes looking at your car and thinking of all areas that get exposed when you open doors, hood, trunk. All those cracks get hand sanded...primed...sanded...painted. If not done correctly the paint is falling off in 12 months. You really should pull the glass and doors too. What about the back side of the hood/trunk?

Have you actually been quoted north of $10,000 for a paint job?

If not then where did you get that figure from?

I have seen quite a few paint job quotations and I haven't seen one north of $10,000. I am talking about BMW and not Ferrari or Lambo or McLaren.

The OP's car is new so there is much less effort to respray it than one with a rusty old frame...

OP: My advice is you might just want to get a quotation from a good BMW repair shop and then make an informed decision from there. The reason that I am suggesting it is an option is because I have seen good paint jobs from BMW repair shops that are better than the factory BMW ones and the price is nowhere near the fark me dead "north of $10,000" range...

Last edited by Karmic Man; 06-28-2018 at 10:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 11:40 AM   #40
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

I think there must be a final red or Fire Orange Edition coming
      06-28-2018, 12:05 PM   #41
Say Chi Sin Lo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mazdaspeed 3, Honda S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
A red M car from factory?

NOT directed at you, but the idea of having a red M car from factory.
Appreciate 1
chris7197331.50
      06-28-2018, 12:36 PM   #42
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
A red M car from factory?

[IMG]https://media.giphy.com/media/O5NyCibf93upy/giphy.gif[/IMG]

NOT directed at you, but the idea of having a red M car from factory.
X5M maybe I think had a stock option....but well yeah one can dream. Not much chance.
      06-28-2018, 05:51 PM   #43
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Fat kid with small brakes should go back to his glass house, before he gets beat up.
True that but there will always be someone richer, with a faster car and a GF with bigger fake tits...... The '18 LCI gives 9th grade wood in the color I like
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 02:13 PM   #44
Budget M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

OP:

I've had cars painted before and cringe at the thought of doing that to a brand new car. Yanking EVERYTHING off the car in order to do a quality job is very labor intensive. I saved myself quite a bit of money last time I did it by doing all the remove and replacements myself, then took it to the pros to do the actual primer, paint, color sand, repeat. It came out great, but I told myself....never again!

Re: just wrap it.... too much maintenance for the wrap if you want to mitigate the danger of wrecking the paint underneath when you remove it, and the slightest rock chip can wreck an entire wrap. No thanks!
'85 M635CSi Alpine w/buffalo; '03 M3 Conv, Imola
‘85 323i Baur; ‘02 X5 4.6is Estoril; ‘95 Racing Dynamics K30.4
Appreciate 1
chris7197331.50