BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 Owners, Are You Selling/Trading Your M2 for the M2 Competition ?

View Poll Results: Will you Sell/Trade your Current M2 for a 2019 M2 Competition
Yes definitely, I want one. 20 8.81%
No way, not worth it 165 72.69%
undecided 24 10.57%
I will buy a used 2019 M2 Competition in a few years when they depreciate 18 7.93%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

06-15-2018, 04:14 AM   #45
Norhidem
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp,M2

No way, getting a gen1 Gt3 CS after this. Love my M2 as is, don't need it to be .2 of a second faster.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2018, 08:14 AM   #46
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteM2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by amelia.f87m2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteM2 View Post
Nope, pulled my deposit a couple of weeks ago. My LCI is fully sorted and upgraded in all the right places. Its quicker across country roads than an M4 Comp and it just the right balance of usable power.

If I didn't like tuning my cars I would have got it, but I like to "lightly tuned" my cars and I don't trust the S55 engine to tune it, the crank bolt spinning issue is enough to put me off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
My M2 has more power than can be used on the street. No way am I getting rid of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
Agree with above posters. Mods and tuning are done to my liking.
You guys are on point and have really made my day. Maybe I wasn't attentive regarding the M2C in the pipeline. I received my brand new 2018 M2 four weeks ago and was peeved at BMW's M2C announcement literally 3 hours after taking delivery.

Was contemplating on selling of my M two weeks ago but then I decided, F it and mod away and be content with what I have.

I personally feel my M looks way better than the M2C and am sure you boys have sorted your Ms nicely.
Looking good!

I have mine exactly where I want it
I love my LBB M2, but the Black M2 looks like f$cking Darth Vader. Awesome
Appreciate 1
M2C_PLUS1774.00
      06-15-2018, 08:36 AM   #47
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT

Back on-topic

I traded my pre-ordered M4, after 3 years, 31,000 miles, and 28 track days for my pre-ordered M2. My reasons were:

1) The M4 has become highly software-dependent, very material complex/expensive, larger, and moving toward where it's buyers are going - GT car vs sports car. The M2 seemed to return to the sports car mission, w/more mechanical/analog capability and significantly smaller dimensions/proportion

2) I planned to modify my next car for safety reasons, given I am a true CS customer. I want a street-driven car that has track capability and requisite safety

3) The M2 price point is frankly amazing given the level of equipment. Nothing competes with it, materials-wise, design-wise, quality-wise for anywhere near the price. That said, the M4 is also a bargain at $75k (that's what mine cost, out the door)

4) I wanted a car with less power. It makes you a better driver on-track. It's so critical to hit your marks in a momentum car, and very rewarding. The M2 has a bit too much power to be a momentum car, but in a few years, with all the high-HP cars, it will be one. The M2 has the perfect balance of HP and finesse. That said, on the street, the M4 is more comfortable and faster

5) for me, the new M2 CP is a disappointment. It now panders to the buyer who wants a "look at me" car that tells you it's a performance car vs. showing you. It now has an engine that can make big HP w/tuning w/no issues (closed-deck block, two turbos, water/air IC, etc). The car should have built-off it's mission/foundation and added proper seats and a few performance goodies. The brake upgrade is awesome (needs it). Could really use brake cooling - come on BMW! If they did what I suggest, then close the model out and release the "new" M240 and M2 and let us have our limited-edition performance car w/older school tech, it would be a collector car. Regardless, the CP will keep the previous cars sales down, so I'm happy about that

6) I love cleaner body designs. Leaner looks, less scoops, subtle performance cues that you have to look for vs be told about it. M cars have been masters at that. The new M2CP is a big departure here (e.g. rear badge, strange grille, etc). The 2016-2018 M2 is cleanly styled and aggressive w/out shouting at you. Such a perfect car

I added to my car what I wish BMW offered as a Club Sport package. Roll bar, M4 GTS carbon seats, Ohlins suspension, camber plates, Dinan FMIC, harnesses, Fire extinguisher. The car looks completely stock from outside and weighs 3,367 lbs with 1/4 tank of fuel. This works for me and cost about the price of a new M4 CP.

:-) going for a drive shortly
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
MR_M2517.50
Poochie9099.00
      06-15-2018, 09:14 AM   #48
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smindustries View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
Totally feel your pain. The GT3 was supposed to hold me over until my Pagani showed up, but what a dissapoinent of a car. I’ll have to go back to my 488 now. I almost forgot to go to the Porsche forum and tell them what plebs they are. Thansk for the reminder.
I don’t know why you’re taking an opinion personally. My first car was a BMW 2002 I paid $500 for and pushed out of a field. I joined the BMWCCA in 1991, and have owned 15 I can think of, with my most recent being a 2002 owned by Phil Marx, and my most recent modern car being an E46 M3 I sold in 2004. My love for BMW led me to quit my job as a network engineer to take a job as a service advisor at a BMW store. My love of cars began with BMW more than two decades ago. I might not have a deep history on this forum, but do have a deep history with the brand.

I started buying 911s years ago and to save up for a GT3, I sold a Turbo S and set a budget for a car. On paper, the M2 seemed perfect and I thought it would be similar to my E46, which I loved. I bought the M2 and had a buddy who is still at a BMW score put me on his M2 Competition list. I thought I had the next year of cars planned out.

The reality of the M2 doesn’t fit what I’ve come to expect in cars. All modern cars are complex, but BMW now seems to relish in showcasing it. The car drives well, but the interfaces, both physical and electronic, are not what I personally like.

That said, the price of a new M2 buys a nice used 911. That brings us back to the topic of this thread, which is ‘are you dumping the M2 for a Competition’. My answer remains, ‘I was planning to, but now I’m dumping the M2’. It’s not an discussion about economics, per se, it’s a discussion about preference.
Welcome to Bimmerpost.

But you did drop a few car names .. and now car guy names like Phil Marx... I've been around long enough to know the name.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 12:00 PM   #49
Happy Motoring
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
This is the only photo I have handy that shows the inattention to detail that BMW of old wouldn't have let through:

Now I can't unsee this in my car lol
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 12:05 PM   #50
dasblack
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I'm thinking about it. I can get 3k off msrp
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 04:58 PM   #51
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasblack View Post
How
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 12:43 AM   #52
GerardzM
First Lieutenant
Rep

Nope.

It's the closest new BMW to the E46 M3 that I fell in love with when I was younger.

Dimensions around the same....check
Grey Guage Cluster....check
No weird "M" side mirrors....check
Weird SMG transmission(DCT now)....check

Plus I'm sure many of us got a steal of the century...do guys ever think a new M model will ever be as inexpensive as these OG M2's...not likely.
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2018, 03:52 AM   #53
$M2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
How
It's possible. I got $3,900 off MSRP. There is hidden $ that the dealer may be able to tap.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 07:12 AM   #54
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I am comparing it cars that cost a lot more at present, but even compared to older BMWs, it's not good. The blue stitching isn't straight in several areas, the leather on the rear seat backs is wavy (I've seen that on every M2), et cetera. This is the only photo I have handy that shows the inattention to detail that BMW of old wouldn't have let through:

Yeah, I would have passed on all that crap, but I'm an impulse buyer and I bought what was available and convenient. I also had a Mk7 Golf R, and that was an appliance, but the interior was leagues better than the M2 in terms of both design and build quality.

My first car was a '76 2002, and I just sold a '73 a few months ago. I've had an E30 M3, E36 M3, E39 M5, E46 M3, and various non-M cars. The E46 was feeling big. The E92 felt massive and I couldn't do it. On paper, the M2 seemed like the secret sauce. In reality, I simply can't overlook the things I dislike. My wife drove it for the first time Saturday. When she got home, the first thing she said was, "Your car fucking sucks!" She dislikes the same things. Her daily driver is a Macan Turbo.

I daily drive my 911s. When I have one in the garage, I don't want to drive anything else because when I do, I'm constantly comparing it to a 911. I had a 997.1 GT3 RS that I put 35,000 miles on in two years. Other than the difficulty of finding snow tires, it was a lovely experience.

I'm in queue for a 991.2 GT3. I want a Touring, but due to NHTSA mandating reverse cameras, one can no longer order it with a radio delete. I'm pretty chafed about that because, like you, I don't want that crap in cars, however it's only going to get worse as autonomous operations are integrated.
My take is:

1. it was designed that way. I looked at mine it matches the bottom also, the way it is offset to the lcd screen lower line. All my buttons are consistent on both sides and the bottom insert. I have also looked a two other LCI cars and they are exactly alike across the board.

2. The fit and finish is great on the car, not worse or better than my 135, M235, M4 was....they are pretty much identical. I think BMW has it nailed.

3. You probably just have a difference of opinion with the BMW designers. Just remember they are obsessed with intricate details all the way down to the tone of that stupid "gong" I am sure these buttons were of their plan

4. I am glad you pointed out such a small detail, I never even noticed it considering there is so much other nice things to admire in the cockpit
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 07:57 AM   #55
philinit
Blackcoat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
To get rid of my perfectly sorted car that I already think is perfect and have grown attached to for an extra 40 hp and a few consemtic upgrades?!? not worth it to me but to each his own I guess
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 10:53 AM   #56
ICantDrive4Sht
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
Totally feel your pain. The GT3 was supposed to hold me over until my Pagani showed up, but what a dissapoinent of a car. I’ll have to go back to my 488 now. I almost forgot to go to the Porsche forum and tell them what plebs they are. Thansk for the reminder.
Literally laughing out loud
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 12:17 PM   #57
ipeefreely
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM, 2024 M2, 2022 GT3

I was on the fence about buying an M2 or waiting and getting the comp. Ended up recently getting a M2 in the mid-40's with all tid-bits I would need / appreciate in a mostly tracked car.

My conclusion was reached by the fact that the M2 comp would:

1. probably be marked up - so the price would be about 60k+
2. Come with a more powerful engine but might upset what many would consider a almost perfect recipe.
3. Upgrades and changes from the factory that I would probably swap out anyways for more track oriented parts.
4. Finally, if i wanted more power, i can always use the additional money to modify the M2.

In the end, based on the level of customization i wanted. The answer was a no brainer. Spend less and enjoy the car more or pay more and possibly hate the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 01:32 PM   #58
tranck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpine White BMW M2

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Just got mine 5 weeks ago...I wanted an M2 and didn't want to wait a year for the MC2.

Mine had 3500 on the clock and I think I got a pretty good deal especially what they gave me for the WRX. Btw...what a difference - my God.

The bottom line is - didn't want to wait, didn't want a car that weighed 150 lbs more and especially didn't want to pay MSRP or above.

Just put the Dinan Stage 1 tune on it and the smooth power increase...and I mean smooth.... is very noticeable.

I've had a *lot* of cars in my life...last BMW was a 2000 e39 M5. Some members on here remember my many posts regarding that car and....my mileage at 275K - had it like 10 years...when I wrecked it.

This car is just absolutely awesome - don't want to mess w/ perfection. May very well be my very last car that I ever own.
Appreciate 1
qnet676.00
      06-16-2018, 04:26 PM   #59
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by $M2 View Post
Quote:
How
It's possible. I got $3,900 off MSRP. There is hidden $ that the dealer may be able to tap.
But why not just sell to someone else happy to pay MSRP? there are plenty out there, why deal with trying to dig up money for you?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 08:47 PM   #60
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardzM View Post
Nope.

It's the closest new BMW to the E46 M3 that I fell in love with when I was younger.

Dimensions around the same....check
Grey Guage Cluster....check
No weird "M" side mirrors....check
Weird SMG transmission(DCT now)....check

Plus I'm sure many of us got a steal of the century...do guys ever think a new M model will ever be as inexpensive as these OG M2's...not likely.
Nope.

2011 BMW 1M $46K

2016 BMW M2 $52K

2019 BMW M2 COMP $59K

Of course .. buyers of the M2 competition feel like with the S55 they are getting the deal of a century ...
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 08:24 AM   #61
dasblack
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
How
Quote:
Quote:
How
Sales manger offered me 1k off msrp and 2k off with fleet discount
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 01:01 PM   #62
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How
Quote:
Quote:
How
Sales manger offered me 1k off msrp and 2k off with fleet discount
Oh everyone eligible for the fleet discount would get the fleet discount.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 07:39 AM   #63
rocke29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2 M/T

After a subpar sales quarter, that is not an option for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 02:29 PM   #64
dasblack
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It's about a 20k to go from a m2 to m2c. Don't think it's worth it. I just recently got a call saying there's a sept build for me with euro delivery
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 06:59 AM   #65
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

I'll be trading my LCI M2 when the M2C arrives this Oct. The dealer offered a very fair value for mine. I also purchased my 2018 last Oct. with a $4k discount.

I find the M2C to be very well executed visually. The performance should be a step up. I feel most of us will not notice the added heft.
      06-19-2018, 09:31 AM   #66
F87E30
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E30

I will not be selling my LCI M2. There will always be a better, newer version of something and if I kept upgrading everything I owned to the latest and greatest i would be in bad spot financially. I love my M2 and have no plans to get rid of her anytime soon.
Appreciate 2