BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Convince me: sunroof or no in my M2C?

05-16-2018, 07:17 AM   #45
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
lets see... how many real competition cars have a moon-roof. oh yeah. zero. if you want a moon-roof get the 235ic ( C stands for convertible not competition) or a Camry. of you want a competition model get the CF roof
Frankly, all this "real this"/"real that" talk with a semi-patronizing or even condescending tone, is pretty tiresome. Subjective intangible lingo.

Most professional race cars are not allowed on public roads. When racing their cars, professional race drivers are only focused on laptimes and places, not on the scenery surrounding them. They're driving towards a circuit finish line, not to a shopping mall parking lot or the top of a mountain pass. They even don't have a wife next to them or a kid in the back to whom they can accidentily say: "Full moon tonight. Wait, let me show ya.".

Like many others I got my moments that I like to be unreal.
Cavpilot2k1023.00
pz6193277.00
Spa2k1194.00
Who?484.50
qnet679.00
      05-16-2018, 08:26 AM   #46
Darth g-f
Rep
Drives: Corvette Zr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd2002 View Post
Fitting comfortably with a helmet is probably more important than any weight comparisons. If you like sunroofs, and are able of fit with a helmet on, go for it.
This.
Anyone who tracked cars will know this is the worst thing about sunroofs.

To me sunroofs are useless. They’re noisy and really don’t compare with a real convertible. It’s not open air motoring. It’s pretty much a noise pit with a dose of violent air turbulence and some extra sun to burn your scalp.

However, when time to sell comes, I think more people might want a sunroof.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 09:04 AM   #47
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
E46, E36, E39 all rattled. YMMV.
If YMMV, then dont make a blanket statement about them All Rattling.. My mileage is such that with over 20 yrs of bmw ownership including E36M3, 135i msport, and M2, all had moon roofs and none had any squeeks or rattles.. You must have had Terrible luck with yours; its certainly not typical.
      05-16-2018, 09:06 AM   #48
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
lets see... how many real competition cars have a moon-roof. oh yeah. zero. if you want a moon-roof get the 235ic ( C stands for convertible not competition) or a Camry. of you want a competition model get the CF roof
What a joke.. As if most M2 drivers ever track their cars even occasionally, let alone as their primary function.... Please!
      05-16-2018, 09:32 AM   #49
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Quote:
I see you've fallen for the "Competition" marketing. The M2 Competition isn't a special edition or model. It's just the 2019-2020 production model M2.

The competition moniker is just a marketing gimmick.
If they label the next regular production model of M2 the "Super Ultra Track Killer Edition", will you think it's the king of the track just because they named it that?
Appreciate 1
boostm3683.00
      05-16-2018, 09:45 AM   #50
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
I typically buy moonroofs and also typically don't use them.

When I bought my M2 it wasn't an option and I don't miss it one bit. The main reason for one is let fresh air in without all the wind buffeting. Well that seems to be a four door issue b/c I have not noticed it in the M2.

As for resale, who cares about the next owner, buy the options you want. Yeah, you may get a few bucks more but you also spent less without. It's also one less thing to break.

What cracks me up most about this question is how many people complained that the M2 didn't come with a CF roof so why are we asking about moonroofs?

Lastly, I have never had an issue selling a BMW let alone a M car.

End of day buy what you want and enjoy and don't worry what others think or say.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 09:50 AM   #51
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

That's an easy one.

1) "Do you want to see my sunroof?"
2) "dude you have a carbon fiber roof?!"
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 09:57 AM   #52
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

No sunroof.

Cannot fit my helmet in there.
I like windows down than having roof opened.
Not good for long term maintenance. Leaks and malfunction can be an issue later. Especially when you are living in cold weather like here in Canada.
And don't like to have higher center gravity.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 10:14 AM   #53
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

As I said before when it comes to a sunroof I can take it or leave it (didn’t miss it in my EVO X MR or my current Golf R) but I must admit some of the comments here are pretty funny. Higher center of gravity lol. I’ll put my life savings if you could blind a driver to the fact there’s a sunroof the difference in handling compared to a non-sunroof version of the same car would be imperceptible to all but maybe a true competition driver. Maintenance issues? Leaks? Rattles? LOL. I’ve had sunroofs on nearly all my cars as well as my wife’s and I have to go back to my 1998 Eclipse GSX as the last car I actually had an issue and that was only a rattle. Sunroof issues are few and far between these days even on entry level cars. The biggest worry about them these days is shattering.

If you like sunroofs get one. If you don’t like sunroofs don’t get one. Simple.

Last edited by heavyD^2; 05-16-2018 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 1
Spa2k1194.00
      05-16-2018, 10:59 AM   #54
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

No sunroof, additional headroom for helmet and HPDE. If you are a small man, then don't worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 12:29 PM   #55
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
I see you've fallen for the "Competition" marketing. The M2 Competition isn't a special edition or model. It's just the 2019-2020 production model M2.

If they label the next regular production model of M2 the "Super Ultra Track Killer Edition", will you think it's the king of the track just because they named it that?
Where can I find more on the M2SUTKE?
Flying Ace4983.50
      05-16-2018, 01:33 PM   #56
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

Quote:
Start your own thread, including everything you already know about the M2 SUTKE. I’ll bet by the end of the day you’ll get at least 50 replies from people who already know more about it than you do.
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2018, 02:56 PM   #57
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo319 View Post
That's an easy one.

1) "Do you want to see my sunroof?"
2) "dude you have a carbon fiber roof?!"
Well, if your primary interest with this car is impressing other people, this is a valid point.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 09:55 PM   #58
rb2260
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3

when i was looking for a used e46 m3 the hardest to find were 6mt no moonroof with those with best resale value so i suspect if the m2 is another classic in 10 yrs the same will be true. plus i am not a large man and hate wearing helmet on track in moonroof car
personally dont see why one would pay to buy an m2 that advertises as smaller more fun sporty and need to get moonroof to show the skies to the lady friend or take the kids anywhere. might as well get a four door m3. not judging just curious on others thought process m2 is a fun toy not planning on driving it around town to impress others
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 10:05 PM   #59
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post

Look for the M2 Humpetition without the love seats in the back.
      05-17-2018, 07:53 AM   #60
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2260 View Post
when i was looking for a used e46 m3 the hardest to find were 6mt no moonroof with those with best resale value so i suspect if the m2 is another classic in 10 yrs the same will be true. plus i am not a large man and hate wearing helmet on track in moonroof car
personally dont see why one would pay to buy an m2 that advertises as smaller more fun sporty and need to get moonroof to show the skies to the lady friend or take the kids anywhere. might as well get a four door m3. not judging just curious on others thought process m2 is a fun toy not planning on driving it around town to impress others
Resale is another story. There are guys looking for great deals on current M2 but want the 2017s cuz they offered moonroof. Longterm, like the e46, the lower percentage car (with or w/o moonroof) having slightly higher value. But the difference is negligible and to those who want the moonroof will need to wait 10 yrs or so to gain from the sacrifice.

However I've yet to hear of anyone getting the moonroof solely to show off to others.

Most just want to let sunlight in etc - for themselves.
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 08:15 AM   #61
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Personally I would've deleted the sunroof on my 335 if it were an option. I hate the transparency of it. I even put a layer of 3M Crystalline on mine and I still keep the shade shut 99% of the time. That is why I hate panoramic roofs, wayyyy too much light (and cold in the winter) coming in. The only benefit I do get is in the tilted position for venting the interior when parked. No way I'd pay for a sunroof. I'd delete it even if I didn't receive a credit; essentially paying not to have it.
      05-17-2018, 09:57 AM   #62
rb2260
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
However I've yet to hear of anyone getting the moonroof solely to show off to others.

Most just want to let sunlight in etc - for themselves.
My point is about the motivation behind why people want to buy the M2. Is it b/c they're looking for a fun sporty toy, either road or track, or are they enticed by the status of such a car? b/c it seems counterintuitive to buy such a car and then ask for "practical" things like moonroofs, 4 doors, extra leg room etc. BMW has those cars available for such buyers. I see the same desires from posters on the GT3 forum. why buy a track car and then ask for back seats and moonroofs? You might as well be this guy, who posts videos of his GT3 RS but never tracks it:

I guess whatever floats your boat, but I wouldn't try to get on the forum to seek "approval" to get a moonroof
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 10:15 AM   #63
Spa2k
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 JCW

If a feature adds to your enjoyment of the car, get it. But when I was racing in SCCA, I'd never specify a sunroof - that would have been pretty difficult in a formula car anyway.

While the percentage of M2 owners who hit the track is probably higher than for most other vehicles (especially among Bimmerpost users), it's still small. The majority of M2s never hit the track, so everyone please quit trying to impose your standards - informed or not - on people who just want to own a car like the M2 for whatever reason.
Appreciate 1
qnet679.00
      05-17-2018, 12:01 PM   #64
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:
My point is about the motivation behind why people want to buy the M2. Is it b/c they're looking for a fun sporty toy, either road or track, or are they enticed by the status of such a car? b/c it seems counterintuitive to buy such a car and then ask for "practical" things like moonroofs, 4 doors, extra leg room etc. BMW has those cars available for such buyers. I see the same desires from posters on the GT3 forum. why buy a track car and then ask for back seats and moonroofs? You might as well be this guy, who posts videos of his GT3 RS but never tracks it:

I guess whatever floats your boat, but I wouldn't try to get on the forum to seek "approval" to get a moonroof
I like his videos and have bought some of his detailing stuff. From what I've read, he actually doesn't like moon roofs either, at least not on these types of cars.

As far as motivation for getting an M2. I believe you can want a fun sporty car for road or track and still want a sunroof. You can't put people in a box, everyone is different.
Appreciate 2
Spa2k1194.00
Cavpilot2k1023.00
      05-17-2018, 12:35 PM   #65
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spa2k View Post
If a feature adds to your enjoyment of the car, get it. But when I was racing in SCCA, I'd never specify a sunroof - that would have been pretty difficult in a formula car anyway.

While the percentage of M2 owners who hit the track is probably higher than for most other vehicles (especially among Bimmerpost users), it's still small. The majority of M2s never hit the track, so everyone please quit trying to impose your standards - informed or not - on people who just want to own a car like the M2 for whatever reason.
This!! Who says you have to track your M2?! Anybody who derides creature comforts like moon roofs in a high performance vehicle when that vehicle is clearly sold to a vast majority of owners who will never see a track with it but who love driving a performance oriented vehicle on the street just is divorced from reality.
Spa2k1194.00
      05-17-2018, 12:43 PM   #66
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Uhm, not to be captain obvious, but maybe its because most buyers will never see a track with it, but love its quality, handling and power on the street, even if they never get to use 100% of either?
Spa2k1194.00