BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > WOT vibration above 4krpm

05-30-2018, 08:30 PM   #23
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Update; they sent me on my way again. Said it was normal. They seem to be convinced its road conditions. Chatted with an M2 owner who is also a service advisor and he has the same issue. None of this stuff was captured in notes of course but it is interesting. He is suspicious of it being the exhaust. Given how aggressive MPE is, it could be that it's just vibrating at the headers. I'd buy that.
I’ll have my race shop look in a cpl weeks and let you know what they say.
Appreciate 1
stefan2346.50
      06-21-2018, 02:07 PM   #24
Tormy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Alpine White

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Just hit 2k miles on my new M2 6mt. I notice a slight vibration when going full throttle in 4th from 3-4k rpm and then it stops past 4k. I also notice it in 3rd from 4-5k and then it goes away. However sometimes it doesn't occur. Also, all other gears are fine all the way through the rev range. Could this be same problem? Any other suggestions of what it might be given that it occurs only at specific rpm range and in specific gears. I've been hoping it will just go away.

Really annoying considering it doesn't happen all the time so i don't know if i should take it to dealer or not.

I should also mention I wasn't the most diligent during break in period. Followed all parameters except i definitely went WOT multiple times. Could the vibration be from that?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 03:45 PM   #25
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormy View Post
Just hit 2k miles on my new M2 6mt. I notice a slight vibration when going full throttle in 4th from 3-4k rpm and then it stops past 4k. I also notice it in 3rd from 4-5k and then it goes away. However sometimes it doesn't occur. Also, all other gears are fine all the way through the rev range. Could this be same problem? Any other suggestions of what it might be given that it occurs only at specific rpm range and in specific gears. I've been hoping it will just go away.

Really annoying considering it doesn't happen all the time so i don't know if i should take it to dealer or not.

I should also mention I wasn't the most diligent during break in period. Followed all parameters except i definitely went WOT multiple times. Could the vibration be from that?
The vibration is not from exceeding break in parameters since I followed them religiously.

Please do take it to your dealer so we can get more eyes on this problem. My dealer gave up figuring it out.

Honestly I'm looking at this downpipe and it is mounted to the transmission via a solid bracket. I think this is it. I think the backpressure and vibration from this beast of an exhaust is resonating with the surrounding chassis and vibrating the transmission. Seriously; it's just a solid bracket, not an exhaust hangar with a rubber mount. If anyone has enough ingenuity to add a rubber mount in between here, I am curious if that would address it.
      06-21-2018, 07:24 PM   #26
Tormy
Registered
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:

Honestly I'm looking at this downpipe and it is mounted to the transmission via a solid bracket. I think this is it. I think the backpressure and vibration from this beast of an exhaust is resonating with the surrounding chassis and vibrating the transmission. Seriously; it's just a solid bracket, not an exhaust hangar with a rubber mount. If anyone has enough ingenuity to add a rubber mount in between here, I am curious if that would address it.
Literally 2hrs after I posted I drove home from work and took the car on a little cruise and did quite a few pulls through the problem gears/rpm and it seemed to go away. The first few vibrated a little bit but less than it had been and the last 5-6 pulls in both 3rd and 4th gear were completely smooth every time so im not sure if it just fixed itself or what. (Note: I always wait for the engine oil to get up to temp so i don't think car temp has anything to do with it).

I don't have the MPE but my first though was that it was exhaust related because the vibration felt exactly like when you let off of WOT at above 4-5k and the exhaust does that grunt noise.

However it's also possible we're having different issues. Mine was 100% at a very specific RPM range in only 3rd and 4th gears, above and below which i wasn't getting any vibration. Stefan, does your car vibrate continuously above 4k in every gear?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 08:33 PM   #27
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Literally 2hrs after I posted I drove home from work and took the car on a little cruise and did quite a few pulls through the problem gears/rpm and it seemed to go away. The first few vibrated a little bit but less than it had been and the last 5-6 pulls in both 3rd and 4th gear were completely smooth every time so im not sure if it just fixed itself or what. (Note: I always wait for the engine oil to get up to temp so i don't think car temp has anything to do with it).

I don't have the MPE but my first though was that it was exhaust related because the vibration felt exactly like when you let off of WOT at above 4-5k and the exhaust does that grunt noise.

However it's also possible we're having different issues. Mine was 100% at a very specific RPM range in only 3rd and 4th gears, above and below which i wasn't getting any vibration. Stefan, does your car vibrate continuously above 4k in every gear?
It's not easy for me to repeat. to get it consistently occurring I need to be 100kmph in 4th gear and floor it from 3Krpm and up. Other than that it is sporadic.
      06-22-2018, 12:21 AM   #28
Tormy
Registered
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
It's not easy for me to repeat. to get it consistently occurring I need to be 100kmph in 4th gear and floor it from 3Krpm and up. Other than that it is sporadic.
Well i'm not sure what's going on. Just got back from a late night cruise to see if the vibration was still gone after letting the car cool down and sit for 5-6hrs. Once it got up to temp there was no vibration for 5-6 pulls. Thought i was in the clear but then I floored it exiting a corner that had some pretty rough pavement and the vibration seemed to come back. Doing a few more pulls through 3rd and 4th in a straight line on smooth roads confirmed that it was, however it was much fainter than it had been.

Not sure if this helps diagnose the issue in any way given that it seemed to slightly come back after the car got rattled around a bit.

I'm going to continue to test it and see what happens for the next week and if it persists I will take it in and see if the dealer can shed any light on it.

However, I will say that I'm now even more convinced that its the exhaust because I did a little experiment on my drive. I normally just drive around everywhere in Sport+ but when the vibration came back I tried making it happen in Comfort mode when the exhaust is quieter and it was definitely much fainter. To the point where its possible it was all in my head because of how paranoid i am about this situation.

Anyways i will keep this thread updated about my experience going forward.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 07:56 AM   #29
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Well i'm not sure what's going on. Just got back from a late night cruise to see if the vibration was still gone after letting the car cool down and sit for 5-6hrs. Once it got up to temp there was no vibration for 5-6 pulls. Thought i was in the clear but then I floored it exiting a corner that had some pretty rough pavement and the vibration seemed to come back. Doing a few more pulls through 3rd and 4th in a straight line on smooth roads confirmed that it was, however it was much fainter than it had been.

Not sure if this helps diagnose the issue in any way given that it seemed to slightly come back after the car got rattled around a bit.

I'm going to continue to test it and see what happens for the next week and if it persists I will take it in and see if the dealer can shed any light on it.

However, I will say that I'm now even more convinced that its the exhaust because I did a little experiment on my drive. I normally just drive around everywhere in Sport+ but when the vibration came back I tried making it happen in Comfort mode when the exhaust is quieter and it was definitely much fainter. To the point where its possible it was all in my head because of how paranoid i am about this situation.

Anyways i will keep this thread updated about my experience going forward.
My dealership said they couldn't reproduce it on every road. Initially I thought this was nonsense but... now I am starting to think the road surface does matter as crazy as that sounds. I agree.. this has to be exhaust, some kind of NVH/harmonics.

Last edited by stefan; 07-24-2018 at 08:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 12:48 PM   #30
Tormy
Registered
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
My dealership said they couldn't reproduce it on every road. I called BS but now I am starting to think the road surface does matter as crazy as that sounds. I agree.. this has to be exhaust, some kind of NVH/harmonics.
If it helps at all, in my case I have been cruising and testing out the vibration on the same roads and have 100% both felt and not felt the vibration on the exact same stretch of asphalt. I suppose the road could have some slight effect either amplifying or quieting vibration but the main source is certainly something on the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 01:45 PM   #31
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
If it helps at all, in my case I have been cruising and testing out the vibration on the same roads and have 100% both felt and not felt the vibration on the exact same stretch of asphalt. I suppose the road could have some slight effect either amplifying or quieting vibration but the main source is certainly something on the car.
First thing I want to do is create a rubber grommet for the DP mount bolts. I think this will help. Even just like rubber washers or something. Might go see what I can source.
      07-24-2018, 04:53 PM   #32
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quick update:

Both my race shop and BMW think it’s an out of balance driveshaft. It takes 10 days to get one from Germany, so won’t know for sure for a couple weeks.

In my case, I’m able to easily replicate the issue by keeping the car in third gear, drive to 50 mph, and then accelerate to 65mph.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 08:32 PM   #33
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Quick update:

Both my race shop and BMW think it’s an out of balance driveshaft. It takes 10 days to get one from Germany, so won’t know for sure for a couple weeks.

In my case, I’m able to easily replicate the issue by keeping the car in third gear, drive to 50 mph, and then accelerate to 65mph.
Yikes.. long term damage risks here? Is BMW replacing? Let us know what happens.
      07-24-2018, 08:38 PM   #34
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yikes.. long term damage risks here? Is BMW replacing? Let us know what happens.
Mine doesn’t feel bad enough for damage, just annoying. BMW is covering, will see if it fixes it.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 08:32 AM   #35
dew343
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

For you guys with the vibration is it a DCT or a 6 spd? I wonder how close you guys production dates are . Trying to see if their is a pattern to the issue if it is a driveshaft was it a bad run of out of balance shafts or u joints . I have seen issues like this in over the road trucks where the drive shaft yokes are out of phase and a t certain drive shaft speeds the u joints kinda fight each other . Form what i am reading in this tread it is rpm related all of you describe about the same rpm range and gear at which it occurs which means the drive shaft speed is the same for all of you .Its possible that it is something else but to many things point to a drive line issue .
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 09:29 AM   #36
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

DCT for me. The techs said they ran a DCT diagnostic and everything checked out. No shifting issues. Only other thing it could be would be the diff, but the virbration isn’t coming from the rear.

I’ll know next week if the driveshaft solves it.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 07:14 PM   #37
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dew343 View Post
For you guys with the vibration is it a DCT or a 6 spd? I wonder how close you guys production dates are . Trying to see if their is a pattern to the issue if it is a driveshaft was it a bad run of out of balance shafts or u joints . I have seen issues like this in over the road trucks where the drive shaft yokes are out of phase and a t certain drive shaft speeds the u joints kinda fight each other . Form what i am reading in this tread it is rpm related all of you describe about the same rpm range and gear at which it occurs which means the drive shaft speed is the same for all of you .Its possible that it is something else but to many things point to a drive line issue .
6MT 08/2017
      08-05-2018, 07:26 PM   #38
dew343
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

We will have to wait till ZM2 gets the drive shaft to see if it helped his issue.Maybe he can provide a production date as well . i see his is a 17 as well but its a DCT
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 07:36 PM   #39
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dew343 View Post
We will have to wait till ZM2 gets the drive shaft to see if it helped his issue.Maybe he can provide a production date as well . i see his is a 17 as well but its a DCT
10/16 build. Still waiting for the part.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 04:27 PM   #40
Jasond13
Banned
Rep
Drives: Man

Quote:
10/16 build. Still waiting for the part.
I'm 8/17 DCT as well Just had my break-in service and notice the same issue at WOT have you received the new Drive shaft yet?

Last edited by Jasond13; 09-21-2018 at 05:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 04:35 PM   #41
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasond13 View Post
I'm 8/17 DCT as well Just had my break-in service and notice the same issue at WOT have to received the new Drive shaft yet?
Got the part, but I’ve been traveling. Unfortunately, won’t have it installed until mid-Oct. Will send you guys an update then.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 12:21 PM   #42
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

New driveshaft didn’t fix this. More investigation to come.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 01:37 PM   #43
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
New driveshaft didn’t fix this. More investigation to come.
Fascinating. I wonder what else could be causing this? Just heard from another local owner that has the identical issue. I do wonder if it is some NVH related to the DP being hard mounted to the trans without bushing.
      12-07-2018, 01:46 PM   #44
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Fascinating. I wonder what else could be causing this? Just heard from another local owner that has the identical issue. I do wonder if it is some NVH related to the DP being hard mounted to the trans without bushing.
Yeah, all that’s left is transmission, differential, half shafts, and exhaust. The car didn’t do it new, so a broken in exhaust could certainly be the culprit.

Dealer is investigating more next week.
Appreciate 0