BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M2 c/w MP coilovers - added front camber using OEM parts

03-18-2020, 10:50 AM   #23
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

At this time I plan to stay with the stock suspension. The M2 is my daily driver for now and it sees about 2-3 track days a year at most. My current track car is getting long in the tooth so the camber correcting knuckles are a way for me to start phasing in the M2 as a backup track car, until it becomes the primary.

For suspension upgrades, I will likely go with Ohlins Road and Track coilovers or with KW Clubsports once I am ready for that.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 07:52 PM   #24
Phantom_9192
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
I see that you were able to get from 1.5 to 2 degrees negative with this addition, correct?
For those that track hard (not necessarily a lot, but at 10/10ths of the car's potential on track), what kind of camber should I be shooting for up front optimally? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 02:30 AM   #25
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom_9192 View Post
I see that you were able to get from 1.5 to 2 degrees negative with this addition, correct?
For those that track hard (not necessarily a lot, but at 10/10ths of the car's potential on track), what kind of camber should I be shooting for up front optimally? Thanks!
Stock front camber was -1.5deg

MPerf coilovers front camber -1.8deg

As above but with camber correction hubs front camber -2.25deg

Track camber is tyre dependent - if running road biased tyres then -2.5deg is probably max setting. If running stickier track biased road legal tyres then they can cope with more camber ie -3deg to -3.5deg.

IMHO -2 to -2.5deg is probably a good range of wanting single setup for DD/TD's.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 10:31 AM   #26
Phantom_9192
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
I'd be on the top 200tw tires (which are way grippier than anything that's actually 200 tw ) and my goal would be to time trial the car.
I need front camber (it's the massive limiting factor currently) and I can't add camber plates or bolts as that puts me in a "chase the class limits" spiral and pretty soon the car becomes not usable as my daily.

As such, I'm guessing I'd need more than -3 up front and there's probably no way to do that without camber plates, is there?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 11:21 AM   #27
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom_9192 View Post
I'd be on the top 200tw tires (which are way grippier than anything that's actually 200 tw ) and my goal would be to time trial the car.
I need front camber (it's the massive limiting factor currently) and I can't add camber plates or bolts as that puts me in a "chase the class limits" spiral and pretty soon the car becomes not usable as my daily.

As such, I'm guessing I'd need more than -3 up front and there's probably no way to do that without camber plates, is there?
I track my car 6-8 times a year and the all OEM setup I have works very well indeed. If wanting to stay in class using OEM parts then -3deg is not achievable legitimately IMHO.

Stealthier upgrades could be made to work ie SPL make adjustable front lower arms LCA and TS (similar to oem BMW motorsport setups on m235iR and M4GT4) or using adjustable bushes in both lower arms to tune caster (TS) or camber (LCA)

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 10:44 PM   #28
pal
Captain
Rep

Parts showed up today. The hubs look like art pieces. The bearing are not press fit and simply bolt on. In retrospect, I could have reused mine and simply swapped them over. Oh well, no harm in having a spare set.

Last edited by pal; 11-20-2020 at 10:29 AM..
Appreciate 2
      03-27-2020, 01:23 PM   #29
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal View Post
Parts showed up today. The hubs look like art pieces. The bearing are not press fit and simply bolt on. In retrospect, I could have reused mine and simply swapped them over. Oh well, no harm in having a spare set.
[/IMG]
Thanks for the update

If possible, please let us know how much negative camber you end up with after the install

BTW, according to the newTIS service manuals, when reusing wheel bearings the threads must be recut

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...kle/1VnXx2PqWu

Not sure if it's really necessary and obviously not an issue for you since you have new bearings, but figured it was worth mentioning for others who might be reusing their bearings
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 08:49 PM   #30
pal
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTBoss302 View Post

Thanks for the update

If possible, please let us know how much negative camber you end up with after the install

BTW, according to the newTIS service manuals, when reusing wheel bearings the threads must be recut

Not sure if it's really necessary and obviously not an issue for you since you have new bearings, but figured it was worth mentioning for others who might be reusing their bearings
Thanks. It's good to know that getting new bearings wasn't a total waste. I can keep my stock hub and bearing together as a backup.

I believe BeePee reused his bearings. I wonder if he cut the threads or simply use new bolts and called it a day. I am sure he'll let us know when he sees this.

I will take pictures when I get around to the install and post up the alignment numbers post install. Since my car is a stock suspension US car, it will be a good baseline for camber.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2020, 03:29 AM   #31
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTBoss302 View Post

Thanks for the update

Thanks. It's good to know that getting new bearings wasn't a total waste. I can keep my stock hub and bearing together as a backup.

I believe BeePee reused his bearings. I wonder if he cut the threads or simply use new bolts and called it a day. I am sure he'll let us know when he sees this.

I will take pictures when I get around to the install and post up the alignment numbers post install. Since my car is a stock suspension US car, it will be a good baseline for camber.
New bolts only for mine.

A year later - my car had both front bearings replaced under warranty- known QEP issue - totally unrelated to my reuse of original bearings when swapping hub carriers.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 12:49 PM   #32
nothingman
Private NumNuts
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 GT4

Garage List
Is there any level of adjustability using the OEM camber correction hubs, or is it all in or all out? If so, how do they adjust?
      06-17-2020, 12:51 PM   #33
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingman View Post
Is there any level of adjustability using the OEM camber correction hubs, or is it all in or all out? If so, how do they adjust?
No adjustment - it's fixed/solid complete replacement of the existing original hub carrier/upright

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2020, 12:21 PM   #34
pal
Captain
Rep

In the interest of keeping this information in one place, here is how I went about installing the new hubs and new bearings and what I learned.

Getting started on the passenger side.

The hard connections to the hub are 2 control arm ball joints, the tie-rod end and the the bolt that clamps the hub around the strut base. The things I ensure I did before undoing these hard things are looking for and getting the delicate things out of the way - speed sensor, brake lines, and on the driver side the suspension/headlight height sensor.

For the brake caliper, I set it down on a jack stand and only at the end of the job did I realize that the stainless brake lines on my car are long enough to allow me to set them down on the floor. I needed to do this when I was tightening things up.

Rotors and dust shields

Getting the ball joints and tie-rod end off. I had to ask my wife to hold the steering when I broke these loose. After that its a one person job. I learned the steering does not lock on these car like cars of yore

Strut/hub pinch bolt

I found that using a US dime (10 cent coin) along with a spreader tool works really well to open the hub enough to simply slide it off the strut

The hub. Since I was using new bearings, I did not remove them from the hub. Else, I would have removed the bearings while the hub was on the car.

I put the new bearing on the new hub and finger tightened the 4 bolts before installing it on the car.

Another learning was that the four bearing to hub bolts are NOT torx but torx plus - TP60. Had to order that from Amazon and wait.

Install is reverse of removal. The bearing bolts are torque to yield, so once they were tightened, I marked them with a Gold Sharpie for future inspections on whether they moved.

Unrelated cool engine shot, just because
Appreciate 4
Bee Pee1772.50
FIDDIE12.00
bentom2335.50
      12-04-2020, 01:22 PM   #35
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
In the interest of keeping this information in one place, here is how I went about installing the new hubs and new bearings and what I learned.

You need to do the CF Strut Brace, just to finish it off...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 11:24 AM   #36
pal
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Quote:

[IMG]https://media.fotki.com/2v2HqEKLrxu6LVA.jpg[/IMG]
You need to do the CF Strut Brace, just to finish it off...
I am planning to only replace our steel strut brace with the aluminum one from the M3/M4. Not sure I like the look of the bow brace ...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 12:15 PM   #37
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

The aluminium brace is probably most cost effective bit of the conversion, but unless you're driving with the bonnet removed, you won't have to look at the CF element (and, BMW wouldn't fit it to the M235 Racing if it were purely for aesthetic reasons).
Appreciate 1
Bee Pee1772.50
      12-05-2020, 08:50 PM   #38
romeo_f
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Does anybody know if this modification applies also to the M2 Comp?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 02:58 AM   #39
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeo_f View Post
Does anybody know if this modification applies also to the M2 Comp?
Yes this mod will fit m2c too

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 01:47 PM   #40
romeo_f
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 09:29 AM   #41
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

For anyone that has done this mod, have you checked before and after clearance between the strut and the tire? It seems that this mod would reduce inner tire clearance at the strut.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 09:38 PM   #42
pal
Captain
Rep

Finally got around to getting it aligned. I didn't quite get the -2° that BeePee did, but I got close with -1.7° on driver side and -1.86° on the passenger side. With me in the driver seat, both sides were about -1.8°. Below is the printout - he took it without me in the car.

I am on stock suspension whereas BeePee is on MPerformance coilovers I think. He is likely at a slightly lower ride height and that is probably giving him that tenth of a degree I am missing.

[IMG]https://media.fotki.com/2v2HjEwwLxu6LVA.jpg[/IMG]
Appreciate 1
bentom2335.50
      01-21-2021, 10:10 PM   #43
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Finally got around to getting it aligned. I didn't quite get the -2° that BeePee did, but I got close with -1.7° on driver side and -1.86° on the passenger side. With me in the driver seat, both sides were about -1.8°. Below is the printout - he took it without me in the car.

I am on stock suspension whereas BeePee is on MPerformance coilovers I think. He is likely at a slightly lower ride height and that is probably giving him that tenth of a degree I am missing.

Thanks for the detailed photos of the install. Love that people take the time and effort to do photos.

Last edited by chief1richard; 01-22-2021 at 08:05 AM..
Appreciate 1
pal433.00
      01-22-2021, 06:07 AM   #44
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Pal,

Wait to read your feedback after you driven the car with correction hubs installed.

FYI - here's a couple of photos of my car (albeit with 18" x 9" 640m c/w 255 Conti 830p winters installed all round)

upfront these oem star rated winter tyres are much wider than 18" 245 MPSS I use for summer and more akin to 18" 245 AD08RS I run on for TD's etc - with lowered stance and added camber - zero rubbing...

BP
Attached Images

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 1
pal433.00