BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Want to drive manual

03-24-2019, 03:02 PM   #1
irayi
Rep
Drives: Camry

Want to drive manual

I've never driven a manual and don't know how to drive one. I want some time with a manual car to see if I would like my next car to be a manual. How would I be able to do this if I don't have access to a manual car?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 03:06 PM   #2
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
https://www.shiftdaddy.com/
Appreciate 2
irayi1.00
      03-24-2019, 03:22 PM   #3
kt22cliffjumper
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F87 M2

If you don't have any friend with a manual car, you can find one to rent at turo to practice.

https://turo.com/rentals/cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by irayi View Post
I've never driven a manual and don't know how to drive one. I want some time with a manual car to see if I would like my next car to be a manual. How would I be able to do this if I don't have access to a manual car?
2005 Silver Grey M3 | SMG | Xenon | sunroof delete | manual nappa leather/cloth seats | TC Kline D/A coilover 450F/500R with TCK camber plates and TCK RSM | BMW Motorsports 4.10 LSD | Powerflex RTAB | Vibra-Tech engine/trans mounts | Stoptech 4 piston F/R BBK with slotted 2-piece rotors | BBS RS-GT 18"
Appreciate 1
irayi1.00
      03-24-2019, 03:51 PM   #4
RAM_F30_F87
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT; 2012 328i 6MT

Garage List
Houston's a large city so hopefully you have a friend that knows someone with a manual and is willing to give you a lesson. More likely it will be someone with a sportier car, possibly German. I used to request manual loaner cars if available during service, but even BMW dealerships no longer stock them.
Every car I've owned since 1981 has been a manual, the last four being BMWs. My brother originally taught me how to drive on a Jeep using the low range which minimized stalling while I got used to the clutch vs. accelerator.
I think everyone should learn to drive a manual even if they never plan on owning one. I once had to drive someone that was having a heart attack to the hospital in their manual car. Jobs driving other cars such as that at a car wash or as a valet would require this skill.
Since you posted this in the M2 forum, are you possibly looking at a BMW?
Appreciate 1
irayi1.00
      03-24-2019, 04:04 PM   #5
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

Such a useful skill period although the way things are going the manual will soon be 'vintage'. I will only drive manuals until I can't I love them that much but the market speaks heavily to automatics with their wallets hence why the brand new M340 is not offered with a manual. sad day. anyway good luck with your search. I know at least on my travels to a few countries in europe the rental cars generally come with manuals and you have to order in advance or pay extra for an auto. Iceland last year was my last stop where that was the case.
Appreciate 1
irayi1.00
      03-24-2019, 04:39 PM   #6
M Coupe
Private
Rep
Drives: S54 M Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by irayi View Post
You must know someone who knows someone that has a really old manual car (and that person is not afraid of letting you burn the clutch out a you learn)...
      03-24-2019, 04:52 PM   #7
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

When I was 17 and now gotten my license, I wanted to drive a manual but didn't have any friends to teach me.

So I saved up all my pennies from my minimum wage job and bought a $3,000 Honda Accord with a manual tranny.

I didn't even know how to drive it home, I had to ask my cousin to transfer it for me. I used to have to ask him to take me everywhere I wanted to go, with my car..

One day I sick of waiting for him and took that bitch out on my own. I stalled at every stop and had everyone honking behind me. However, by the end of the day, I got the hang of it.

I got so good at it, I even make a video presentation that year to my high school class on "How to Drive A Manual Transmission" and was graded an "A."

Honestly, IMO, the best way to learn is to buy a hoopty and practice on your own. That way you don't have to answer to anyone.

The goods new is that the M2 and all new manual BMWs for that matter, is so freaking easy to drive because of the all the assistance features, a chimp can do it. So with enough determination, you to can handle a stick also.

A little tip, if you do get a manual vehicle don't let anyone else drive it. I let my mom drive my car because she wanted to prove she's still "cool" and she burned out my throwout bearing.

Never again!

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=23068779

"Anti-Stall" feature? https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1478397

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.red..._of_antistall/

All new BMWs have:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clutch_control
Appreciate 1
irayi1.00
      03-24-2019, 05:32 PM   #8
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

There was a BMW dealer in NJ that gave out loaner cars (Minis & BMWs) with manual transmissions.

Not sure they if they still do because 'I heard' some a-holes were doing some sick, smokey burnouts with them.

Try some dealers and see if they still offer manual loaner cars that you can practice on
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
irayi1.00
      03-24-2019, 06:15 PM   #9
irayi
Rep
Drives: Camry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM_F30_F87 View Post
Houston's a large city so hopefully you have a friend that knows someone with a manual and is willing to give you a lesson. More likely it will be someone with a sportier car, possibly German. I used to request manual loaner cars if available during service, but even BMW dealerships no longer stock them.
Every car I've owned since 1981 has been a manual, the last four being BMWs. My brother originally taught me how to drive on a Jeep using the low range which minimized stalling while I got used to the clutch vs. accelerator.
I think everyone should learn to drive a manual even if they never plan on owning one. I once had to drive someone that was having a heart attack to the hospital in their manual car. Jobs driving other cars such as that at a car wash or as a valet would require this skill.
Since you posted this in the M2 forum, are you possibly looking at a BMW?
My brother has a manual accord but it isn't currently running. I should ask him what it would take to get it fixed.
I've been driving a 2010 camry since high school and I enjoy driving but I didn't realize that certain cars could be much more fun to drive than others until I drove my brothers 435i about a year ago. Ever since then, I've been looking for a car that's fun to drive and that is exactly what everyone raves about on the m2/m2c.
I also really like the supra and I don't understand how everyone can be bashing it before they've even driven it. When it comes out and if its really fun to drive I would also consider that car. Although if/when I get to learn to drive a manual and I really enjoy it that could sway my decision as the supra has no manual.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 07:17 PM   #10
RAM_F30_F87
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT; 2012 328i 6MT

Garage List
I agree, the anti-stall and hill-holder features do make the M2 easy to drive. When I was first learning to drive before hill-holder, stopping and worrying about roll-back on some of the very steep hills in Pittsburgh where I grew up was terrifying.
Coincidentally I've been driving a loaner M240i X-drive automatic convertible over the weekend while I'm in for service. The B58 engine (M2 has B55) and the ZF eight-speed automatic transmission (most likely replacing the DCT in the future) separately are very smooth, but I just don't like driving the combination even with paddle shifters. And the muted exhaust even in Sport+ makes you really miss the M2 'burble'.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 10:53 PM   #11
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Rental.

If you can drive a car with automatic then you can drive a car with manual. It's not rocket science.
The M2 is a good car to learn - torquey engine, light clutch, it even rev matches for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 05:01 AM   #12
switzerr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Buy a Miata. Enjoy. Sell when you are ready to buy an M2. You won’t likely lose any money.

Or an E36 or E46.

It’s all about practice.
Appreciate 2
TemjinX2520.50
rich8566608.50
      03-25-2019, 11:44 AM   #13
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by switzerr View Post
Buy a Miata. Enjoy. Sell when you are ready to buy an M2. You won’t likely lose any money.

Or an E36 or E46.

It’s all about practice.
I think thats the second time the miata thing has been thrown out there. I'm surprised so many people like them as I can't stand them. So cute... in a bad way. Anyway sorry off topic...

How about looking on autotrader and finding a used civic manual and ask to take it out alone for the test drive and come back a few hours later after you learn how to drive? jk I loved my 95 Si. The car was bullet proof and it's what I learned to drive stick - won't forget it
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 03:12 PM   #14
switzerr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
I think thats the second time the miata thing has been thrown out there. I'm surprised so many people like them as I can't stand them. So cute... in a bad way. Anyway sorry off topic...

How about looking on autotrader and finding a used civic manual and ask to take it out alone for the test drive and come back a few hours later after you learn how to drive? jk I loved my 95 Si. The car was bullet proof and it's what I learned to drive stick - won't forget it
Ah yes, the dreaded "Miatas are cute" trope. I I've certainly had many people in "less cute" cars come and look mine over after a track day, pointing out to their buddies such things as the (non-existant) turbo . . .
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 04:15 PM   #15
Jeff01234567
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp, M-B A220

Garage List
Quote:
Ah yes, the dreaded "Miatas are cute" trope. I I've certainly had many people in "less cute" cars come and look mine over after a track day, pointing out to their buddies such things as the (non-existant) turbo . . .
I bought a 1997 Miata to learn stick shift on too. If you can get over the looks and retro interior, the car is one of the best cars to learn to drive stick on. It also happens to be one of the most fun cars made, period.

1. Shifter is extremely precise - a shifter with vague gear slots could confuse beginners.
2. Clutch is light and easy to handle
3. Lack of torque means that you really have to rely on your own skills to start off on first. A car like the M2 makes it way too easy.
4. No hillhold means you have to learn how to engage your clutch properly on a hill.
5. Narrow powerband means you get to shift often and you learn how to keep a car in the powerband.

This is by no-means bashing on modern cars like the M2. However, just as we all must learn to multiply and divide on paper before using a calculator, we must learn to driving stick shift with no assistance before graduating into something more modern.

Last edited by Jeff01234567; 03-25-2019 at 04:22 PM..
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      03-25-2019, 05:39 PM   #16
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

I am not a fan of fluff. I find a lot of the new tech not properly applied on modern BMWs and the M2 is guilty of much of that missaplied tech like ASD, rev-matching that can only be turned off along with traction control. Electric steering, etc etc etc. BUT the hill hold feature is a brilliant unobtrusive use of modern technology on par with ABS and rain sensing wipers. It does not get in the way of enjoyment. It has little downside and huge upside in that it makes one of the most stressful parts of manual driving, irrelevant.

Some people for example enjoy doing their own rev matching so you lose something when you have turn everything off however, no one, not even the most ardent manual lover enjoys being a steep hill riding the clutch, parking brake, brakes etc.

This one feature, along with a super light clutch makes modern BMW manuals very easy to drive. It also a rewarding way of driving that the next generation will never be able to experience. So I applaud you for your interest and driving a manual is not rocket science. Billions of people have mastered it for decades and it is a lot easier in the new car than it was in the old days.

Driving a manual is a lot like learning a foreign language. you can take classes, read about it and you will slowly learn. But if you go to a foreign country and stay there, you will pick it up in a hurry. Likewise you can get a friend's car and practice or you can just buy the car and you will pick it up faster. The problem with learning in a crap car is that BMWs have very good clutch intake, light pressure is required and the transmissions are pretty good. They also have hill-hold which is fantastic. If you end up learning on a crappy car, you might be turned off if you face hills or the clutch is heavy and/or unpredictable. I bought a 2004 Acura TSX manual that was horrible to power shift. The drive by wire throttle coupled with high uptake clutch made it difficulty to power shift without bucking. If you would try to learn with that car, you would probably end up buying an automatic. The M2 and most current BMWs are much better so beware what you try to learn in.

I taught my nephew to drive his e36 328i. It was given to him by his parents and I taught him how to drive manual at 18. That car had an oustanding clutch intake and was so easy to drive. I was impressed and he picked it up in a few days. He know has another manual car.

Best wishes!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 05:59 PM   #17
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Shopping for a new one

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM_F30_F87 View Post
I agree, the anti-stall and hill-holder features do make the M2 easy to drive. When I was first learning to drive before hill-holder, stopping and worrying about roll-back on some of the very steep hills in Pittsburgh where I grew up was terrifying.
Coincidentally I've been driving a loaner M240i X-drive automatic convertible over the weekend while I'm in for service. The B58 engine (M2 has B55) and the ZF eight-speed automatic transmission (most likely replacing the DCT in the future) separately are very smooth, but I just don't like driving the combination even with paddle shifters. And the muted exhaust even in Sport+ makes you really miss the M2 'burble'.
So what is this "anti-stall" madness? If you left it in 1st gear at a red light and you let off the clutch, what happens?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 07:15 PM   #18
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
No need to get your back up mate but I understand the defensive nature of having a car you love called 'cute'. i don't mean cute in a completely negative context however. for example a lotus to me is 'cute' but yet awesome at the same time. not for me but it has my respect. the same for the miata as any car that has this type of following must have something going for it. perhaps I can liken it to a ballet dancer instead of cute, powerful yet slight and it wouldn't be interpreted the same way but I can clearly state I am not the guy for ballet.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 09:39 AM   #19
switzerr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
No need to get your back up mate but I understand the defensive nature of having a car you love called 'cute'. i don't mean cute in a completely negative context however. for example a lotus to me is 'cute' but yet awesome at the same time. not for me but it has my respect. the same for the miata as any car that has this type of following must have something going for it. perhaps I can liken it to a ballet dancer instead of cute, powerful yet slight and it wouldn't be interpreted the same way but I can clearly state I am not the guy for ballet.
Happy for your elaboration. Most people who dismiss Miatas think they are front wheel drive, and have never driven one in a spirited way, or are so insecure in their own identity that they riff on them for being a "chick car".

I wouldn't use the word cute or awesome to describe my former Elise, either. Loathsome would likely be better.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 10:48 AM   #20
guyno
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '18M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivate View Post
So what is this "anti-stall" madness? If you left it in 1st gear at a red light and you let off the clutch, what happens?
If you dump it, it stalls. If you let it out slowly like you would normally, it will move, kind of like letting of the brake in an automatic but slower. I guess it idles at enough RPM's to move without hitting the gas.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 10:55 AM   #21
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

i agree..turo would be the cheapest way. If you can drive manual on a low tq car..driving a manual M2 is cake.

My buddy never drove manual before but he bought a modded out evo 8. I drove it for him to a parking lot and had him practice for an hr. Thats all the time he needed to learn how to drive stick...their were a few times he started the car in 3rd and it still didn't stall from all the tq of the engine.

i remember when i learned how to drive manual on my integra, it would punish you fast by stalling right away if you had it in the wrong starting gear.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 12:46 PM   #22
E36toF87
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 MG MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyno View Post
If you dump it, it stalls. If you let it out slowly like you would normally, it will move, kind of like letting of the brake in an automatic but slower. I guess it idles at enough RPM's to move without hitting the gas.
It also has enough torque and engine management to smoothly idle in 1st or 2nd gear. Much nicer in traffic.
Appreciate 0