BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW switching Apple CarPlay to a subscription based service. $80/year.

01-19-2018, 09:40 AM   #111
Hypermile
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d xDrive M-S M-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Next up:

- Subscribe to your digital dashboard! If you don't particularly care how fast you are going, you are all set - no fees. Otherwise, that's a nominal fee of $4.99 a month which we think is a generous offer considering the price of a speeding ticket.

- Pay per use fuel gauge indicator. Always keep your tank topped off? Great, you've got no need for any indicator then. For owners who want a little more peace of mind, we offer the monitor at a $5.99 monthly fee. It is a matter of economics vs. running out of fuel and calling for assistance.

- Rear-door opt in. Don't typically have passengers in the car? You'll won't usually have to pay to use your doors then. For those that need the back seat on regular basis, we have two payment plans - one for both doors, and one for passenger side only for the family of three. Prices start at $12.99/mo.

- Optional blinker package. Blinker lights will be made optional - we have listened to the marketplace and our customers do not use these on a regular basis. All part of the $1000 ZBL package which includes front and rear blinker lights and interior indicators. Possible on-demand subscription service forthcoming.

Also coming on a trial basis for pay-as-you-go plans next year - HUD, rear view mirror, manual-shift/paddle-shift user interface, air-bag deployment, and USB/power outlets.

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 10:10 AM   #112
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

No reason for alarm. Apple CarPlay offers no additional functionality over the iDrive interface and it's simply eye candy for the Apple faithful.

Yes, you CAN live without it
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 10:44 AM   #113
4corners
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jet Black M3 Coupe

Garage List
I'm tired of corporations digging into my wallet for every nickel and dime. Sell me the product and leave me alone.

I will be buying older cars without computers.
Appreciate 1
emulajavi421.50
      01-19-2018, 10:59 AM   #114
Saphirschwarz
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
One teeny, weeny, little thing... Its called "Waze".
THIS.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 11:19 AM   #115
cozye
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp - 328ix (hers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Viper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozye View Post
There is a lot of misconceptions about CarPlay on here. I have a 2016 without it, and a 2017 with it. I'll admit that at first I was a bit disappointed and went back to the standard Idrive interface. However I decided to go back and forth for a while. There were something's that I liked better (such as reading texts, and great voice to text capability). And other things I didn't like (initially navigating around the CarPlay interface was confusing).

After a while I decided to stick with CarPlay, and as I became more familiar how to navigate (like the not so obvious "home" button on the bottom left). I got a lot better at using it.

For someone who's on the road a lot, and on conference calls a lot in the car, the phone interface of CarPlay is way better. Not even close. Needing quick access to mute button, easy call switching, dial pad, etc while working in the car is just flat out essential. CarPlay is the best interface for this I've had in any car. Period. I never touch my phone and the Idrive controller works fabulously for this.

Maps. Contrary to many post about this, you aren't forced to use Apple nav, the low resolution maps, or google maps. You can if you want, but you can still use the beautiful BMW high res traffic aware navigation. I do it every day. Hit the idrive Nav button first to take you back to native idrive.

You can still use every other bit of your Idrive system, except phone, contacts and bmws music interface for Bluetooth streaming only. What's the downside here?

Apple CarPlay is $300 on the old pricing. Thats $5 a month on your 5 year loan. So they change that to a subscription and drop the up front charge. Big deal. If your upset about $80 a year, you shouldn't spend $50k on a car.

And the beauty of a subscription is choice. You don't want it cause BMW is evil and Apple sucks? Great. Don't subscribe, and it won't be forced on you because the car you found half way across the country has the $300 option already.

You like it or want to try it? Great, all cars are now capable and you don't have to buy a new BMW because you opted out of the $300 option or the car you found doesn't have it.

A lot of griping going on here by some who obviously haven't spent enough time really sorting it out, as evident by the false comments. I get it, your used to Idrive, So was I. You don't want it, no problem, don't subscribe.

Eventually CarPlay will get better or open up to more apps. You'll have the option of trying it again. Maybe even android too since BMW is going to the subscription model.

All of this is being driven by IoT technology. It's a good thing. If your mad at BMW, go buy that Ford. It's got CarPlay. And they bumped up the MSRP by $300 so you could have it for free.
I hope this is not how people view BMW owners. First we don't use our blinkers and now telling people to buy a Ford if they're upset about an extra $80/yr to connect their phones to their car.

Regardless of the value-add/non-value , this is terrible optics as well. Car websites and FB groups are already writing about this. BMW charging people $5/month for to connect their phones to their car.
Your missing the point. The Ford comment was in reference to that car including CarPlay "for free"

Secondly you can connect your phone to the BMW for free as well. There is no charge to do this.

What difference does it make to charge you up front vs a subscription? None, unless you keep the car for a long time and love using CarPlay, in which case you don't mind paying
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 11:26 AM   #116
cozye
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp - 328ix (hers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Fair enough. Ive got my focus full juggling calls, Nav, notebook and radio let alone Car Play. I usually have my phone in hand for email and text.

I am one that truly uses their vehicle as a mobile office. Not particularly on the old side at 30 years but for some reason this feature feels like it would be more trouble and less efficient than using my actual iPhone.

I do have Professional Nav FWIW....

With all that being said. I dont think $80 per year is exorbitant if you are someone that uses this regularly.
As do I. If you have the option, I'd try using it for a month. I think you will find it a lot easier and less distracting to use the CarPlay and not your actual phone. As soon as you get used to it, your in the "office" time will be a lot simpler and safer. That's my experience anyway
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 11:30 AM   #117
cxp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e46, e90, f23, f30

Goodbye, BMW. I will not pay a subscription for basic functionality. This is greed, pure and simple.

My last six cars have been BMWs. My next car will not.
Appreciate 1
amdmaxx119.00
      01-19-2018, 11:39 AM   #118
///My5UV
Lurker
Rep
Drives: YMB F80, SS E90

This reminds me of how every cheap hotel in the country seems to give you free wifi but 4-stars charge $15/day. Just nuts.

I'll skip it, thanks.
eMvy131.00
      01-19-2018, 11:54 AM   #119
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
Yes & Yes !!

Like a drug dealer free to start; then once you're hooked plan on giving up the key to your wallet.
Keep in mind, it also opens up the use of more than one system. Have an iPhone or a Google phone and an Amazon Alexa? You'll be signing up for both of those subscriptions.

This is where it will get costly.
I am good with only one.

If I need more help I will call my real assistant.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 11:59 AM   #120
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphirschwarz View Post
THIS.
Waze is crowd-sourced, meaning its utility is only as good as an area's other users make it. Howzat work out in, say, rural Idaho, or the Scottish highlands?

Waze has a horrible graphic design. My grandmother could design maps that are more readable.

Waze forces you to physically look at the phone (I figure Android Auto allows Waze functionality, so this may only apply to CarPlay).

Waze is funded by sponsored content, including logos that appear on the map screen that can't be turned off. I don't give a flip where the nearest McDonald's or KFC is, and I don't want to be forced to see those logos.

For those who like the app; I understand why. But its utility is limited, and its business model is a deal breaker for some, including me.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 12:06 PM   #121
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game View Post
Interesting. I'm going to assume it's exactly the same as any 2018 BMW. Maybe the Audi MMI doesn't cover all the essentials therefore making CarPlay more usable? The only real advantage it has over the BMW IDrive is the ability to text. Other than that, the IDrive does just about everything else (and better).
It does have all the essentials.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 12:18 PM   #122
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Terrible move with very costly consequences.
It is not about the money though, as much is about the message BMW is sending and about the principle behind the ideea.
Not to mention a luxury brand should offer standard many things, especialy when little players offers those services.

BMW continues to bring more negative.
There are so many wrong moves that BMW did lately....
Appreciate 1
amdmaxx119.00
      01-19-2018, 12:28 PM   #123
enjoythemusic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i Dinan Stage 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///My5UV View Post
This reminds me of how every cheap hotel in the country seems to give you free wifi but 4-stars charge $15/day. Just nuts.
[Sarc] WAIT! You didn't opt for their Premium Internet package for $24.99 that gives you faster speed?

Steven
2014 435i M-Opt, M LSD, Dinan CAI/IC/BTurbo/Stage 4, ER TIC/CP, GFB DV+, Fabspeed HJS cat DP & Mich PS4S.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 12:45 PM   #124
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
pfffttt. Not fond of companies who try to suck more money out of me.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 12:57 PM   #125
redvitesse
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90, E92, Xterra, RoverVitesse

My two cents... as others have stated partly a way to get more $$ out of the customer but then bmw has been doing this for years $2800 to add folding seats as an option on a $40,000 car.

But really it is better cost wise for what they feel is their current customer base.. ie those that lease for 3 years and turn in. For those that buy and own for 6+ years, less so but then bmw as with most manufactures don't care for these type of owners anymore. As someone that buys used 2 years old and keeps for 8 years it will cost more but then again Bluetooth streaming with iOS for me is just fine.
Nissan Xterra 2002 (Illinois + Winter = SUV)
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 01:06 PM   #126
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Waze is crowd-sourced, meaning its utility is only as good as an area's other users make it. Howzat work out in, say, rural Idaho, or the Scottish highlands?

Waze has a horrible graphic design. My grandmother could design maps that are more readable.

Waze forces you to physically look at the phone (I figure Android Auto allows Waze functionality, so this may only apply to CarPlay).

Waze is funded by sponsored content, including logos that appear on the map screen that can't be turned off. I don't give a flip where the nearest McDonald's or KFC is, and I don't want to be forced to see those logos.

For those who like the app; I understand why. But its utility is limited, and its business model is a deal breaker for some, including me.
Waze is highly used in Europe, it shows potholes, accidents, police presence, radars, etc. And is extremely good. And yes, relies on others but boy, every Guy I know in Europe is using it.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2018, 02:30 PM   #127
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
Waze is highly used in Europe, it shows potholes, accidents, police presence, radars, etc. And is extremely good. And yes, relies on others but boy, every Guy I know in Europe is using it.
The U.S. ain't Europe.

Sorry, but I don't completely trust populist apps because they're only as good as the people that use it ...

... just as someone shouldn't completely trust populist forums such as this one because they're only as good as the people who use it. Yes, there's some valuable info available and some good users with a wealth of knowledge, but much of the content is useless chaff that has to either be endured or waded through. I don't want that in a resource that I need to use at a glance.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 03:02 PM   #128
TheBobmanNH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 2.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
The U.S. ain't Europe.

Sorry, but I don't completely trust populist apps because they're only as good as the people that use it ...

... just as someone shouldn't completely trust populist forums such as this one because they're only as good as the people who use it. Yes, there's some valuable info available and some good users with a wealth of knowledge, but much of the content is useless chaff that has to either be endured or waded through. I don't want that in a resource that I need to use at a glance.
"trust" is a bit strong. If you use Waze for even a few days you should be able to determine if it's worthwhile for you. For me the crappiness of the app itself (design-wise, and stability-wise) makes it a non-starter but as far as accuracy of the crowd-sourced information in my area, I found it pretty spot-on.

Google owns Waze so most of the relevant information is on Google Maps (not speed traps, unfortunately, but anything causing a slowdown) in a much better (and more stable) package.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      01-19-2018, 03:45 PM   #129
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

I don't like subscription options for software.
I'm in the technology industry and subscription models just blow.
Epic Fail!!!!!
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 1
amdmaxx119.00
      01-19-2018, 04:03 PM   #130
farns2345
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i sedan m sport

Haha just saw an article on CNet referring to this calling it next level gouging - and they're absolutely right.
Appreciate 1
amdmaxx119.00
      01-19-2018, 04:40 PM   #131
bartman32
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Such CRAP!!!

So BMW wants to be the first to charge a subscription to a service that Apple makes and is a hardware install...

First of all BMW's implementation of Carplay is SHIT! Why can't I listen to Sirus XM and have my googlemaps give me directions at the same time? Haven't tired that yet? Well let me tell you, every time your little assistant cuts in it switches you to Carplay and leaves you there! Apparently, you should be streaming.

BMW's nav SUCKS! I'm traveling down the freeway and it tells me I need to get off in 5 miles. Would you like to tell me the name of that offramp? I suppose to BMW it doesn't matter until I'm about 2 miles out. In my mind I'd like to know if it thinks I should get off at Main street or Broadway so I can decide which I think is better. Of course, Carplay would let me do that but I suppose I'll have to pay for that in the future?

By the way, yes my BMW is a great sportscar. But as I recall BMW is also a luxury brand and as such I expect it would have some good technology in the car. Yet, my Fiat has better phone integration and if I compare the tech in my BMW to say... Tesla you have a LONG way to go. I get BMW isn't Tesla but at the same time these days people and millennials are looking at cars as technology as much as fun cars. It seems to me BMW is on the verge of needing to decide if they are going to be a sportscar or a luxury/tech car. Unfortunately as time moves on and cars become more autonomous the "sportscar" will become a harder sell.

I love my M2 for what it can do on the track but scream at the tech in it regularly. Now you want me to pay a subscription for a hardware unit in the car that you aren't having to pay for? No.
Appreciate 1
amdmaxx119.00
      01-19-2018, 05:52 PM   #132
akf30
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' 328i; 14' 335i xDrive

Car play is trash useless lol.
Appreciate 0