BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Bimmercode topics

10-09-2018, 04:15 AM   #2047
Shekels
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C HS Nov 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post
I got both apps in the end. And paid for both - like ~$30 each. Totally worth every penny.

Check them out on the iPhone App Store - screen shots will give you a sense of what each can do.

In my own case:

Bimmercode:
1. Got rid of that STUPID legal disclaimer on head unit upon startup

2. Programmed mirrors to fold with both comfort access and long press on key fob

BimmerLink:

1. Have open flaps all the time and it sounds awesome!

2. Toggle between ASD on and off, depending on situation

Totally money well spent!
Can I just confirm, Bimmercode will also be able to turn ASD off, you don't need Bimmerlink unless you want to switch it on and off regularly? Also, on a side note, why would you want to turn ASD back on?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 05:01 AM   #2048
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protatomonster View Post
What is the difference between bimmerlink and bimmercode? Should I use one over the other, or both?
I got both apps in the end. And paid for both - like ~$30 each. Totally worth every penny.

Check them out on the iPhone App Store - screen shots will give you a sense of what each can do.

In my own case:

Bimmercode:

2. Programmed mirrors to fold with both comfort access and long press on key fob

BimmerLink:

Is some sort of dongle needed as well? (I think I read that in here somewhere before)
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 05:50 AM   #2049
Kleinacus
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT Build Week 33

Quote:

In my own case:

Bimmercode:

BimmerLink:

So Android household here so this question is more out of curiosity than anything. With the Bimmerlink setting the flaps to always be open, does it snap, crackle, pop in comfort or does the exhaust just sound deeper? I'm assuming the former.
      10-09-2018, 07:48 AM   #2050
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Quote:
Navigate to the following: > headunit > display options multimedia system > legal disclaimers.

Change it from "unknown value" to "not active"
I'll try that tonight! Also I tried holding lock for a few seconds and my mirrors folded in so I'm all good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekels View Post
Can I just confirm, Bimmercode will also be able to turn ASD off, you don't need Bimmerlink unless you want to switch it on and off regularly? Also, on a side note, why would you want to turn ASD back on?
My buddy said on his M2 that he couldn't code ASD off with the latest update with bimmercode, but bimmerlink worked. I was able to mess with ASD in both apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post
Is some sort of dongle needed as well? (I think I read that in here somewhere before)
Yes, bluetooth dongle is needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleinacus View Post
So Android household here so this question is more out of curiosity than anything. With the Bimmerlink setting the flaps to always be open, does it snap, crackle, pop in comfort or does the exhaust just sound deeper? I'm assuming the former.
No crackles in comfort, it just sounds louder with the flaps open.
      10-09-2018, 08:09 AM   #2051
kmuk2005
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition (HS, DCT)

Sorry for the stupid question - complete rookie with this - but i just need to pay/download the app, buy an adaptor, pair them up and bingo - I can change the settings?

Do i need to keep the OBD adaptor plugged in forever or just when i need to change the settings? TIA!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 08:31 AM   #2052
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
Also, on a side note, why would you want to turn ASD back on?

I know that purists will always want ASD off. And I know I'll get flamed for this, but I'm a total noob, clearly not a purist, and I kind of like the sound. Otherwise, I feel like the car is as quiet as my 3-Series, and there are times when I want the sound, even though I know it's "fake."

I mean, sometimes, we like things even though we know they're fake, right? Here's a perfect example: There was this girl I went to high school with, named Melissa. She was pretty and all, but... you know, not out of this world or anything. She was all natural. Nothing fake about her. But, then, years later, I saw her again at a wedding, and she had gotten... some ASD done. And her ASD was spectacular! They were obviously fake, but I couldn't take my eyes off of them! Even though they were fake, the ASD made her truly "out of this world," somehow.

And I realize that maybe I don't want ASD all the time, but sometimes you just really, really like ASD.
Appreciate 5
///M Houbi1653.00
nomoracin758.00
TProfit81.50
Up4speed171.50
      10-09-2018, 08:36 AM   #2053
_Ack_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C, '02 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmuk2005 View Post
Sorry for the stupid question - complete rookie with this - but i just need to pay/download the app, buy an adaptor, pair them up and bingo - I can change the settings?
That is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmuk2005 View Post
Do i need to keep the OBD adaptor plugged in forever or just when i need to change the settings? TIA!
It only needs to be plugged in while using the app. You can remove it from the ODB after.
      10-09-2018, 08:42 AM   #2054
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

This thread is super useful!

Thanks OP!

Two quick questions - has anybody used the Carista dongle for either Bimmercode or Bimmerlink?

Also, can one code off the automatic rev matching feature? It's maddening! I am no F1 race car driver, but I kind of pride myself on being able to heel and toe somewhat respectfully!

Thanks for the input, all!
      10-09-2018, 08:45 AM   #2055
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Also, on a side note, why would you want to turn ASD back on?

I know that purists will always want ASD off. And I know I'll get flamed for this, but I'm a total noob, clearly not a purist, and I kind of like the sound. Otherwise, I feel like the car is as quiet as my 3-Series, and there are times when I want the sound, even though I know it's "fake."

I mean, sometimes, we like things even though we know they're fake, right? Here's a perfect example: There was this girl I went to high school with, named Melissa. She was pretty and all, but... you know, not out of this world or anything. She was all natural. Nothing fake about her. But, then, years later, I saw her again at a wedding, and she had gotten... some ASD done. And her ASD was spectacular! They were obviously fake, but I couldn't take my eyes off of them! Even though they were fake, the ASD made her truly "out of this world," somehow.

And I realize that maybe I don't want ASD all the time, but sometimes you just really, really like ASD.
That's a funny analogy..

In the newer iteration of ASD, its supposedly only 3% of 'silicone' sound pumped into the cabin.

It's more of a intake induction noise, than exhaust-like..

Personally, I don't find it intrusive at all.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/b...-m4-81872.html

https://www.bmwblog.com/2016/06/16/v...-sound-design/
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      10-09-2018, 08:57 AM   #2056
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBear View Post

Thanks OP!

Two quick questions - has anybody used the Carista dongle for either Bimmercode or Bimmerlink?

Also, can one code off the automatic rev matching feature? It's maddening! I am no F1 race car driver, but I kind of pride myself on being able to heel and toe somewhat respectfully!

If there's a way to code out auto rev match, I certainly haven't found it. Given how much every purist hates the auto rev match feature, I'm certain that somebody would have found it by now. From what I understand, the ONLY way to turn it off is to turn off all stability control, etc.

Truly weird that BMW would do this. It would be easy enough for them to simply have a button that you could press and give anybody the ability to enjoy hell-and-toe, without the risks associated with having stability control off.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 09:03 AM   #2057
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

I know I'm in the minority but I like it (auto rev match). Long time manual driver but I was never very good at rev matching, and this makes me a "pro." Plus less clutch wear.
      10-09-2018, 09:09 AM   #2058
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
That's a funny analogy..

In the newer iteration of ASD, its supposedly only 3% of 'silicone' sound pumped into the cabin.

It's more of a intake induction noise, than exhaust-like..

Personally, I don't find it intrusive at all.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/b...-m4-81872.html

https://www.bmwblog.com/2016/06/16/v...-sound-design/
Cool.

All joking aside, that second article actually points out something that I find ASD useful for. With ASD on, it gets really, really loud, and it's a simple heuristic for knowing when to upshift. In my 3-Series, I would always find myself unintentionally at redline, because the car's so damn quiet.

Again, I'm positive that I'll get flamed for this, there's probably something I'm doing wrong, and there's a "right" way to know when to upshift that doesn't rely on ASD... but, it's a way that a dummy like me can use and not blow up my engine!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 09:19 AM   #2059
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBear View Post

Thanks OP!

If there's a way to code out auto rev match, I certainly haven't found it. Given how much every purist hates the auto rev match feature, I'm certain that somebody would have found it by now. From what I understand, the ONLY way to turn it off is to turn off all stability control, etc.

Truly weird that BMW would do this. It would be easy enough for them to simply have a button that you could press and give anybody the ability to enjoy hell-and-toe, without the risks associated with having stability control off.

Decoding "Start Engine Without Clutch" in BimmerCode FEM module takes care of rev-matching in all modes..

But beware, it also disables the clutch pedal sensor and all its related features; (Hill assist, "clutch-control," ect).
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
M2Cnme33.00
      10-09-2018, 09:30 AM   #2060
Proctor750
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

Quote:
Decoding "Start Engine Without Clutch" in BimmerCode FEM module takes care of rev-matching in all modes..

But beware, it also disables the clutch pedal sensor and all its related features; (Hill assist, "anti-stall," ect).
Excellent!

So the android users are boned if they want to code out ASD. They will need to buy the bypass adapter no?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 09:35 AM   #2061
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proctor750 View Post
Quote:

But beware, it also disables the clutch pedal sensor and all its related features; (Hill assist, "anti-stall," ect).
Excellent!

So the android users are boned if they want to code out ASD. They will need to buy the bypass adapter no?
The "Start Engine Without Clutch" is to disable rev-matching. Unrelated to ASD.

ASD has its own individual module in BimmerCode to switch it off, no need to buy a bypass cable.

I believe it is supported now by Android but I can't confirm it. I use an old, dedicated iPhone to code.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 09:48 AM   #2062
Proctor750
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

Quote:
The "Start Engine Without Clutch" is to disable rev-matching. Unrelated to ASD.

ASD has its own individual module in BimmerCode to switch it off, no need to buy a bypass cable.

I believe it is supported now by Android but I can't confirm it. I use an old, dedicated iPhone to code.
Yes, my "Excellent" was in response to the clutch as I despise the auto-rev match and can live without hill assist.

The next sentence was a general question because a few others in the thread commented that ASD cannot be removed via bimmercode and resorted to bimmer link which I can't get. (Never had an iphone - never will). I will give it a try in bimmercode when the car gets here I guess, maybe it work by then.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      10-09-2018, 10:41 AM   #2063
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Where is the section to allow the door to open with one pull of the door handle and not two? I want to change this. I recently found out you can code it to one pull instead of two. I thought this was a mechanical and could not be changed.

Anyone know?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 02:20 PM   #2064
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
Where is the section to allow the door to open with one pull of the door handle and not two? I want to change this. I recently found out you can code it to one pull instead of two. I thought this was a mechanical and could not be changed.

Anyone know?
I haven’t tried it but I think that’s ‘door unlock on engine off’
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 07:58 AM   #2065
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenw View Post
I haven’t tried it but I think that’s ‘door unlock on engine off’
Yes, it is that on my M6.

Then as soon as you press engine stop it unlcocks the doors, so only one handle pull to get out.

Or just press the unlock button on the dash.

Or disable auto door lock.

The only reason you need 2 handle pulls is if the doors are locked, 1 to unlock, 1 to open.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 08:42 AM   #2066
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Cool.

All joking aside, that second article actually points out something that I find ASD useful for. With ASD on, it gets really, really loud, and it's a simple heuristic for knowing when to upshift. In my 3-Series, I would always find myself unintentionally at redline, because the car's so damn quiet.

Again, I'm positive that I'll get flamed for this, there's probably something I'm doing wrong, and there's a "right" way to know when to upshift that doesn't rely on ASD... but, it's a way that a dummy like me can use and not blow up my engine!
That's what the Tach is for!
      10-10-2018, 09:10 AM   #2067
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

You don't change gear by reading the tacho you "listen".

That is a prime design criteria for ASD to put back the sounds that drivers use where they have been muted by turbos and sound proofing and emissions systems etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 09:29 AM   #2068
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
Quote:
Cool.

That's what the Tach is for!
Dude, I have trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time! I'm supposed to steer, press accelerator pedal, tell 5 year to stop kicking 2 year old, tell 2 year old, "Be quiet, you're talking too much," pretend to pay attention to my wife telling me to slow down, AND watch Tach at the same time???

Now that I think about it... I keep ASD on because it's loud enough to help drown out my wife and kids when they're in the car with me.
Appreciate 4
nomoracin758.00
///M Houbi1653.00
TProfit81.50
Tag18120.50