BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Drivetrain Malfunction - Limp Mode

10-09-2016, 06:44 PM   #23
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

My money is on the catless downpipe. The ecu knows.
ried791.50
      10-09-2016, 07:03 PM   #24
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Agreed
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 07:33 PM   #25
Zippster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRob View Post
If it were my car, I'd get it to the dealer as soon as possible, and avoid any unnecessary driving in the meantime. -scr
Agree, and you might want to install the Cat before you take it in, don't let them make excuses....
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 07:54 PM   #26
Luminous
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

Catless downpipe will not cause a drive train malfunction. My guess is it's fueling related. You need to scan the code via obd while the error is showing in order to know what's causing it.

The n55 hpfp is a known weak link and the M2 is tuned to run a little richer which will exacerbate the hpfp issue.

2015 SO M3 6MT

2015 BSM M235xi
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 08:38 PM   #27
photos_by_ronnie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 DCT, 2017 X1 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
My money is on the catless downpipe. The ecu knows.
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Catless downpipe will not cause a drive train malfunction. My guess is it's fueling related. You need to scan the code via obd while the error is showing in order to know what's causing it.

The n55 hpfp is a known weak link and the M2 is tuned to run a little richer which will exacerbate the hpfp issue.
As stated in one of my previous posts, I'm not getting a check engine light. Nothing shows up when I scan with my OBDII scanner.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 08:40 PM   #28
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

If you are scanning after it resets, it won't show any codes.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 08:43 PM   #29
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

If you are using a generic OBD code reader you will not see bmw specific codes or information.
      10-09-2016, 08:45 PM   #30
photos_by_ronnie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

One thing to consider here is that this is most likely not an engine related issue, as that would most likely cause the car to throw a check engine light. This is not a check engine light.

I'm guessing it's transmission related, or a faulty differential as mine hasn't gotten replaced under the "recall". This only happened after the dealership had my car for the engine and differential oil changes. So I started wondering if they screwed up the oil change on the diff. I was hoping someone might be familiar with something like that, as my dealership is clueless about almost anything.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 08:49 PM   #31
photos_by_ronnie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKevM5 View Post
If you are scanning after it resets, it won't show any codes.
I scanned immediately after the message showed up on the iDrive screen, while it was still there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
If you are using a generic OBD code reader you will not see bmw specific codes or information.
Yep, I'm sure this is something only a BMW center or speciality Euro shop could read with a diagnostic tool as it is not a CEL.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2016, 11:44 PM   #32
ilovewagons
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i F31 M-Sport EB to MG F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by photos_by_ronnie View Post
Right, turning the car off and starting it again fixes the problem. But it sounds like you aren't bothered by this. I think it's absurd that a brand new $50k+ "Motorsport" car is incapable of handling 10 seconds of WOT...I used to beat the living crap out of the two 5.0 Mustangs I had, and they never flinched.
Wait... your car is modded and it's BMW's fault your aftermarket engine mods aren't playing nicely together with BMW's car? Are you for real? I've modded every car I've owned and I'd never complain if my car started acting up after I added mods.

For what it's worth, it's probably your piggy back harness. My 328i did the same thing with a JB/BMS harness. I suspect it's the ECU learning the new parameters you have altered. Do you have an intake as well?
Appreciate 2
ried791.50
      10-10-2016, 12:07 AM   #33
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Not sure what the OP wants from us. Seems he wants us to throw out possibilities and then shoot them down like were dumb. OP, the check engine light is for emissions related issues, other than emissions the car goes into limp mode for pretty much anything the computer shows is critical. Rather than continuing to drive it and triggering this fault it might make sense to park it and bring it to the dealer.
Appreciate 5
Lincoln30143.50
ried791.50
DrKevM52272.00
SoCalRob281.00
      10-10-2016, 04:09 AM   #34
photos_by_ronnie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovewagons View Post
Wait... your car is modded and it's BMW's fault your aftermarket engine mods aren't playing nicely together with BMW's car? Are you for real? I've modded every car I've owned and I'd never complain if my car started acting up after I added mods.

For what it's worth, it's probably your piggy back harness. My 328i did the same thing with a JB/BMS harness. I suspect it's the ECU learning the new parameters you have altered. Do you have an intake as well?
Please don't go full retard. I don't have a piggy back harness, and I don't have an intake. If you had bothered to read the whole thread, you would know that I have a catless downpipe, that's all. And I had zero issues with the car until the time I drove it off the dealer lot after my break-in service.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 04:13 AM   #35
photos_by_ronnie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Not sure what the OP wants from us. Seems he wants us to throw out possibilities and then shoot them down like were dumb. OP, the check engine light is for emissions related issues, other than emissions the car goes into limp mode for pretty much anything the computer shows is critical. Rather than continuing to drive it and triggering this fault it might make sense to park it and bring it to the dealer.
All I'm asking is for people who are interested and have the time, to FULLY READ the thread before responding. I had to drive the car, this happened whilst on a 1,000 mile road trip to my brother in law's wedding, so I couldn't take it to the dealership. Now I'm back home, and I plan to call up the dealership this morning. However the dealership is most likely the ones who messed the car up as they're a tiny BMW center that uses the Dodge dealer next door for all of their service, so I don't trust them too well. Thus I wanted to hear some educated opinions before going in.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 04:51 AM   #36
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

Does it happen to DCT or manuals? Limpmode
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 05:07 AM   #37
photos_by_ronnie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
Does it happen to DCT or manuals? Limpmode
Mine is a DCT, but I assume it could happen to a manual as well? Never had a manual BMW, just manual Fords DCT is constantly down shifting when in limp mode.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 05:34 AM   #38
ilovewagons
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Please don't go full retard. I don't have a piggy back harness, and I don't have an intake. If you had bothered to read the whole thread, you would know that I have a catless downpipe, that's all. And I had zero issues with the car until the time I drove it off the dealer lot after my break-in service.
It took your ass 3 posts in this thread to admit you had modded your car. Your second post was bitching about how your brand new car couldn't be driven hard. When you did admit to having mods, you then hilariously claimed that your downpipe shouldn't affect the drivetrain, because obviously you bought it to keep the drivetrain exactly the same as when you bought it. Also, how are you avoiding a CEL?

You've gone from denial (I don't have mods) to anger (stupid car!) to bargaining (I have mods, but they can't be the cause). Next up is depression, when you realise you've turned modding your car into a public goatfuck and you're about to be fisted by the dealer of your choice.

Now that we've got the size of it, this what you should do. Delete this thread. Return your car to stock. Take it to a dealer. Hope for the best. If this thread is still up in 24hrs, I suggest you look in the mirror for the retard.
Appreciate 1
SoCalRob281.00
      10-10-2016, 05:43 AM   #39
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Appreciate 1
DrKevM52272.00
      10-10-2016, 05:45 AM   #40
photos_by_ronnie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It took your ass 3 posts in this thread to admit you had modded your car. Your second post was bitching about how your brand new car couldn't be driven hard. When you did admit to having mods, you then hilariously claimed that your downpipe shouldn't affect the drivetrain, because obviously you bought it to keep the drivetrain exactly the same as when you bought it. Also, how are you avoiding a CEL?

You've gone from denial (I don't have mods) to anger (stupid car!) to bargaining (I have mods, but they can't be the cause). Next up is depression, when you realise you've turned modding your car into a public goatfuck and you're about to be fisted by the dealer of your choice.

Now that we've got the size of it, this what you should do. Delete this thread. Return your car to stock. Take it to a dealer. Hope for the best. If this thread is still up in 24hrs, I suggest you look in the mirror for the retard.

Okay, #1! Go look up the definition of drivetrain. "The drivetrain of a motor vehicle is the group of components that deliver power to the driving wheels. This excludes the engine or motor that generates the power. In contrast, the powertrain is considered to include both the engine or motor and the drivetrain."

There's a whole thread on how I'm not getting a CEL for the catless downpipe. http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1304350

Look, if this thread bothers you, just don't look at it. I'm just looking to see if anyone else has experienced an issue similar to mine. If you don't have an M2, and you don't have any experience with this particular situation or any useful information whatsoever, feel free to stop posting here
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 07:06 AM   #41
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:

Okay, #1! Go look up the definition of drivetrain. "The drivetrain of a motor vehicle is the group of components that deliver power to the driving wheels. This excludes the engine or motor that generates the power. In contrast, the powertrain is considered to include both the engine or motor and the drivetrain."

There's a whole thread on how I'm not getting a CEL for the catless downpipe. http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1304350

Look, if this thread bothers you, just don't look at it. I'm just looking to see if anyone else has experienced an issue similar to mine. If you don't have an M2, and you don't have any experience with this particular situation or any useful information whatsoever, feel free to stop posting here
Actually the BMW "Drivetrain malfunction" warning includes powertrain components. The N54 fuel pump issues would force this to come on. That's documented all over bimmerpost. It very well could have something to do with your mods. I would suggest returning to stock and taking it to the dealer.
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2016, 08:27 AM   #42
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by photos_by_ronnie
Quote:

I'm not going to get in the middle of the bitch fest going on here but I will add this:

Did you account for the software remap done during the break-in service? They flash it with new mapping to enable launch control and others features locked out before break in.

It's possible this messed with your setup that was installed before the new map.

PS: if your dealer doesn't approve of mods, you may be SOL if they decide to void your warranty, so be mindful when you bring it in to either get ok from them or swap out the pipe beforehand.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 09:00 AM   #43
ilovewagons
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You're right, when it comes to M2 ownership, there is a difference between us. When my M2 arrives next month, it will not be broken. I gave you plenty of advice buddy, re-read my last paragraph. It's up to you whether you take it or not. Personally I hope you keep posting, because I've seen a lot of threads with users just like you. The N20 is a popular engine for modding and has exhibited similar issues.

If you head on over to the F30 328i forum, you'll see threads about mods with deleted posts because the OP finally gets it through their thick skull that their warranty does not cover mods. They then further realise that in most of the continental US, there are often very few dealers, meaning the more they run their mouths, the more likely it becomes that someone at their only choice for warranty work will get wise and void their warranty. Unlike most of the planet, your country's consumer laws tend not to favour the consumer, so you will be screwed.

Perhaps they will start with your thread: VRSF Downpipe Installed without Tuning - No Codes!

How many white M2s do you think are in the Amarillo TX area? When you get to Autoplex, are you going to assume that they don't have internet and that no one there is an enthusiast and possibly on these forums? I'm like 10,000 miles away from you (granted, I used to find people who didn't want to be found for a living) and you aren't anonymous to me, and the more you talk, the easier it is for your possible warranty claim to be denied. This assumes that your mods aren't already in an error log in your car's ECU.

Do you get it yet? Click 'Appreciate' at the bottom of this post. Delete your thread. Return your car to stock. Take it to the dealer. Hope for the best.
Appreciate 5
      10-10-2016, 09:13 AM   #44
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
You're right, when it comes to M2 ownership, there is a difference between us. When my M2 arrives next month, it will not be broken. I gave you plenty of advice buddy, re-read my last paragraph. It's up to you whether you take it or not. Personally I hope you keep posting, because I've seen a lot of threads with users just like you. The N20 is a popular engine for modding and has exhibited similar issues.

If you head on over to the F30 328i forum, you'll see threads about mods with deleted posts because the OP finally gets it through their thick skull that their warranty does not cover mods. They then further realise that in most of the continental US, there are often very few dealers, meaning the more they run their mouths, the more likely it becomes that someone at their only choice for warranty work will get wise and void their warranty. Unlike most of the planet, your country's consumer laws tend not to favour the consumer, so you will be screwed.

Perhaps they will start with your thread: VRSF Downpipe Installed without Tuning - No Codes!

How many white M2s do you think are in the Amarillo TX area? When you get to Autoplex, are you going to assume that they don't have internet and that no one there is an enthusiast and possibly on these forums? I'm like 10,000 miles away from you (granted, I used to find people who didn't want to be found for a living) and you aren't anonymous to me, and the more you talk, the easier it is for your possible warranty claim to be denied. This assumes that your mods aren't already in an error log in your car's ECU.

Do you get it yet? Click 'Appreciate' at the bottom of this post. Delete your thread. Return your car to stock. Take it to the dealer. Hope for the best.
Liam, is that you?
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
reppucci339.50
ried791.50
BAN_M2C4180.00
SoCalRob281.00
AYurch50.00
Destroya371.00