09-10-2016, 04:16 AM   #529
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambolle View Post
I am told my car was completed end of August. From Germany to my dealer in Seattle, I am told, will be 30 to 45 days after completion. Your mileage may vary depending on where you are taking delivery.

As far as I am aware, the car will be delivered with the 'problem differential' installed. They do not have 'good' differentials in stock sufficient to make more cars and upgrade cars already sold. So rather than stop production, they are shipping the new cars out with a known problem and will issue recalls on the cars at delivery. My dealer says the plan is to repair or replace the LSD at the 1200 mile scheduled 'new car check up.' Whether BMW will have sufficient parts in stock by then remains to be seen.

But basically, your choice is to take delivery of a car with a known defect, drive it with extra care during break in and await a warranty/recall repair; or decline the car and wait until BMW has sufficient backlog of parts to deliver a car with the upgraded LSD. The latter likely means you would get back in the waiting list line for a car.

I choose to take delivery, baby the car until I can have the LSD issue resolved, and rely on the warranty to protect me. I'm not waiting another six months to a year to get my car.

As for the suggestion you will be required to 'waive' your warranty if you accept a car now, I doubt that. Such a waiver quite likely would be unenforceable; and besides, I doubt BMW wants the PR nightmare of having an army of angry buyers of its most ballyhooed model in years who were strongarmed into taking a defective car and forced to take on the risk of failure because BMW failed to source adequate parts for the new vehicles. Nor would it want lots of cars rejected and sitting at dealerships awaiting a buyer willing to waive warranty and roll the dice.
Nothing past that July cut off build date is impacted by the diff issue so far....
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2016, 04:34 AM   #530
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
Nothing past that July cut off build date is impacted by the diff issue so far....
How exactly is the diff issue noticable?
      09-10-2016, 05:29 AM   #531
Swimfanrick
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

I paid for my car (Performance Center Delivery) last week, and despite having multiple assurances by both my dealer and BMW Genius that my car (week 30 build) is NOT affected by the differential recall, I was required to fill out this form.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-10-2016, 06:24 AM   #532
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124
I have a MY2017 and I was told by my CA that the MY2017 don't have the diff issue not sure how true that is. I also did my 1200mile break in service on Tuesday and my SA didn't mention any recalls. Well I just have to wait and see if BMW sends me anything.
That's incorrect. Bum diffs are still being actively installed and will be fixed later. They simply don't have enough good parts, so rather than stop production, they install the crappy diffs and will recall later.

Some cars may get repaired at port, some at VPC and some at the dealer, it all depends on where you sit on the list.

Regardless, this issue isn't going away anytime soon, the only difference now being they actually know which cars have the bad diffs, rather than having to find out like the Nov-July production cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2016, 06:25 AM   #533
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimfanrick
I paid for my car (Performance Center Delivery) last week, and despite having multiple assurances by both my dealer and BMW Genius that my car (week 30 build) is NOT affected by the differential recall, I was required to fill out this form.
Your car is affected by the recall. That's what this form means - you are acknowledging the diff if bad and agree to have it be replaced once parts are available.
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2016, 07:30 AM   #534
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimfanrick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
Your car is affected by the recall. That's what this form means - you are acknowledging the diff if bad and agree to have it be replaced once parts are available.
Don't worry. Huge fallout: thousands of cars affected (some claim even all M2s since day 1 of commercial production), it ain't a safety issue, no impact on the performance and BMW will duly get you the new rear diff in due course of time (free of charge).

The roll-out appears to be time consuming because of logistics: some claim that the third party manufacturer of the rear diffs can only supply a few hundred upgraded diffs per week to BMW. Bottleneck situation and priority for the US. Go figure.

Just a nuisance to know that something's hanging under the brand new car that needs to be changed someday in the near future which occasionally generates an unsettling loud noise.

I'm at 11K kms now and officially my M2 is not affected (got that information confirmed twice). But judging by the loud occasional 'can crunch noise' coming from underneath my car (I lost count, really), I guess that it's only a matter of time before I'll receive the message from BMW informing me too about rear diff replacement.

And the screechy metallic noise takes you by surprise. When Dackelone recently drove my M2 in the mountains the loud metallic noise occurred and he shouted straightaway "What the hell was that, man ?". "No biggie, Dackel, that's just the infamous 'can crunch noise' generated by the rear diff. I got used to it by now.". LOL.
Dackelone10538.50
      09-10-2016, 07:39 AM   #535
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimfanrick View Post
Quote:
Don't worry. Huge fallout: thousands of cars affected (some claim even all M2s since day 1 of commercial production), it ain't a safety issue, no impact on the performance and BMW will duly get you the new rear diff in due course of time (free of charge).

The roll-out appears to be time consuming because of logistics: some claim that the third party manufacturer of the rear diffs can only supply a few hundred upgraded diffs per week to BMW. Bottleneck situation and priority for the US. Go figure.

Just a nuisance to know that something's hanging under the brand new car that needs to be changed someday in the near future which occasionally generates an unsettling loud noise.

I'm at 11K kms now and officially my M2 is not affected (got that information confirmed twice). But judging by the loud occasional 'can crunch noise' coming from underneath my car (I lost count, really), I guess that it's only a matter of time before I'll receive the message from BMW informing me too about rear diff replacement.

And the screechy metallic noise takes you by surprise. When Dackelone recently drove my M2 in the mountains the loud metallic noise occurred and he shouted straightaway "What the hell was that, man ?". "No biggie, Dackel, that's just the infamous 'can crunch noise' generated by the rear diff. I got used to it by now.". LOL.
Hit the nail on the head!

Something else to keep in mind that hasn't been talked about much: the new diff has to undergo a 2,000 km / 1,200 mi break-in again even if you already had the service done
Appreciate 2
Dackelone10538.50
Glounk115.00
      09-10-2016, 09:15 AM   #536
sarcastrix
Wallander
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
I have a MY2017 and I was told by my CA that the MY2017 don't have the diff issue not sure how true that is.
Mine is MY17 with a bad diff.
ric124452.00
Dackelone10538.50
      09-10-2016, 11:22 PM   #537
chambolle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 M3 coupe; 2017 M2

Quote:
Hit the nail on the head!

Something else to keep in mind that hasn't been talked about much: the new diff has to undergo a 2,000 km / 1,200 mi break-in again even if you already had the service done
Look on the bright side... You'll be less likely to be stopped and gifted with a speeding citation by the local constabulary, and your engine will be treated to an extended mollycoddling break-in, which might assure it a longer and happier life.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 04:48 PM   #538
azfootdoc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2 HEA

BMW where are you?

So any thoughts on when BMW is going to own up to this with the consumer? I mean I am aware of the issue by virtue of being on the forum but I haven't received any formal correspondence from BMW NA regarding the issue. I pinged my service advisor and he said he had received a cryptic service letter in German about the issue but that is it. So is BMW just ignoring the problem until they can get an adequate supply of replacement parts to roll out a formal recall? I guess it would be bad for them to admit they have a problem and no solution. In this vein has anyone filled out the J.D. Power survey yet?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 07:14 PM   #539
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by azfootdoc View Post
So any thoughts on when BMW is going to own up to this with the consumer?
They are. They're replacing affected differentials at the 1,200 mile scheduled service, or subsequent service intervals when parts are available. No impact to the customer since they've lifted the delivery stop.

It's not like your differential is going to wear out before it's replaced under warranty.
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2016, 09:00 PM   #540
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by azfootdoc
So any thoughts on when BMW is going to own up to this with the consumer? I mean I am aware of the issue by virtue of being on the forum but I haven't received any formal correspondence from BMW NA regarding the issue. I pinged my service advisor and he said he had received a cryptic service letter in German about the issue but that is it. So is BMW just ignoring the problem until they can get an adequate supply of replacement parts to roll out a formal recall? I guess it would be bad for them to admit they have a problem and no solution. In this vein has anyone filled out the J.D. Power survey yet?
Have you not seen the waivers that dealers are having new owners sign? Like most recalls, they don't have a zillion brand new parts sitting around. There is no reason alarming anyone that's just driving around with a bad part until they actually have a good part to replace it with. Why would they notify everyone that they are going to replace them and then have all those people calling twice a week asking when their car can be scheduled to come in?

Those that have running cars that have questions will get shrugged shoulders and "
They all make that noise " and will be put off until their issue is more critical. Those that have actual failures will get a rental car and move up further in line.

Dare I say .. you've been triaged doc...
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 09:11 PM   #541
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ried
Quote:
Originally Posted by azfootdoc View Post
So any thoughts on when BMW is going to own up to this with the consumer?
They are. They're replacing affected differentials at the 1,200 mile scheduled service, or subsequent service intervals when parts are available. No impact to the customer since they've lifted the delivery stop.

It's not like your differential is going to wear out before it's replaced under warranty.
I haven't been told about any diff issues yet and I also did my 1200mile break in service and there was no mention of it.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 10:32 PM   #542
azfootdoc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2 HEA

That's what I'm saying. I went in for my 1200 mile service and no one said anything to me. I called to ask afterward based on this forum and it was only then I always told my car was included in the group with bad diff. I would simply appreciate correspondence letting me know the problem and intended solution. I don't think that's a big ask as they are making new owners aware of the situation.

Quote:
I haven't been told about any diff issues yet and I also did my 1200mile break in service and there was no mention of it.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 10:57 PM   #543
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by azfootdoc
That's what I'm saying. I went in for my 1200 mile service and no one said anything to me. I called to ask afterward based on this forum and it was only then I always told my car was included in the group with bad diff. I would simply appreciate correspondence letting me know the problem and intended solution. I don't think that's a big ask as they are making new owners aware of the situation.

Quote:
Are you MY2016 or MY2017?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 11:53 PM   #544
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Are you MY2016 or MY2017?
Oops sorry ignore. I was on app earlier now I see that your MY2016
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 12:59 PM   #545
Anderlecht
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Got off the phone with BMW USA. Supposedly the rep confirmed the differential issue has been identified and it does not affect my order.
Appreciate 1
ric124452.00
      09-14-2016, 01:21 PM   #546
jlapicki
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Picked mine up last night and was asked to sign the form although they said mine was not affected as it was an August Build.
2017 M2 - Alpine White / Black - SOLD
2001 e39 M5 - Titanium / Caramel - A "Keeper"
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 01:23 PM   #547
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderlecht View Post
Got off the phone with BMW USA. Supposedly the rep confirmed the differential issue has been identified and it does not affect my order.
Did they say when the issue was resolved? I was told that issue was fixed before July which would mean MY2017
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 01:29 PM   #548
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: e46 M3 + G05 X5

WHY BMW WHY??????

my car finished production on June 20th. It has been sitting at the dealer lot for more than 8 weeks. I finally flew into Spain, on vacation, to pick up the car , drive it around (spain + portugal) and then ship it back home. I TOLD my sales guy to check for the diff recall 8 weeks ago. AND NOW, when I arrive, is when they tell me they need to replace the diff. Whats worst is that they knew my car was affected 2 weeks ago. WTF. A heads up would have been nice, he knew I was picking up my car this week.

Supposedly they get the replacement on friday or monday. But who knows i dont trust them, I want my car. AND YEAH i am being forced to sign the disclosure form if i take delivery before....

Last edited by Jevi Javi; 09-14-2016 at 06:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 01:46 PM   #549
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlapicki View Post
Picked mine up last night and was asked to sign the form although they said mine was not affected as it was an August Build.
As I stated above, that is pure BS. Anyone being asked to sign the form will be asked to bring their car back to get the rear diff replaced - that is the whole point of the form.

Otherwise, why have your customer sign the form which adds them to the replacement list if you don't need to return the car for service?
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2016, 01:53 PM   #550
Anderlecht
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Mine started production today and it is supposed to be done on the 22nd. So, maybe because mine is September build it might be different. Who knows.
Appreciate 0