BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Bavsound upgrade questions

06-14-2016, 12:16 PM   #1
NCM2
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2 - LBB

Smile Bavsound upgrade questions

Hello everyone!

Long time lurker here with a few questions. After reading the saddening news of the iDrive 5.0 upgrade in MY2017 and the introduction of (possible) car play I started thinking of upgrades to make myself feel better. I immediately jumped to finding a way to remove the "hissing" sound that the HK system emits at seemingly random times while driving and possibly adding some sound deadening to the cabin.

Some disclaimers - I am uncomfortable with DIYs that require fine motor skills (I was born with benign tremors which can cause me to frequently drop screws, small parts, and occasionally lose control of a screw driver) so I usually look for reputable shops to do this type of work.

First and foremost, I’ve heard some great reviews of the Bavsound upgrade kits and they seem interesting, however does anyone have them in their M2 as of yet? Seeing their website doesn’t have the model listed in their “Does it Fit?” section it is hard to tell what exactly to purchase. Also, I am one of the few who actually enjoy the artificial engine noise that our machine creates. Would this upgrade remove that capability in the process? Any other thoughts on Bavsound would be much appreciated here as well.

My second question revolves around quieting the cabin. After reading a couple threads I found that the weather proofing strips (surprisingly cheap) are a good first step to remove some of the wheel noise. After that I figured dynamat would be the next step? I have never worked with the material and I am unsure if this would be better done by a shop in my case. I will be searching the forum after posting this, however any advice is appreciated on which areas to focus on (doors, trunk, etc.) and any tips/tricks you’d wish to share.

Thank you very much for reading, I do apologize for my ignorance surrounding these topics. Glad to join such a great community.

P.S. if anyone has experienced an iDrive upgrade similar to the ones about to occur on the 2017 models (higher resolution screen and all new layout/Wi-Fi capability) feel free to throw out your experience. This may be a retrofit I will be performing in the future.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 04:33 PM   #2
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCM2 View Post
Hello everyone!

Long time lurker here with a few questions. After reading the saddening news of the iDrive 5.0 upgrade in MY2017 and the introduction of (possible) car play I started thinking of upgrades to make myself feel better. I immediately jumped to finding a way to remove the "hissing" sound that the HK system emits at seemingly random times while driving and possibly adding some sound deadening to the cabin.

Some disclaimers - I am uncomfortable with DIYs that require fine motor skills (I was born with benign tremors which can cause me to frequently drop screws, small parts, and occasionally lose control of a screw driver) so I usually look for reputable shops to do this type of work.

First and foremost, I’ve heard some great reviews of the Bavsound upgrade kits and they seem interesting, however does anyone have them in their M2 as of yet? Seeing their website doesn’t have the model listed in their “Does it Fit?” section it is hard to tell what exactly to purchase. Also, I am one of the few who actually enjoy the artificial engine noise that our machine creates. Would this upgrade remove that capability in the process? Any other thoughts on Bavsound would be much appreciated here as well.

My second question revolves around quieting the cabin. After reading a couple threads I found that the weather proofing strips (surprisingly cheap) are a good first step to remove some of the wheel noise. After that I figured dynamat would be the next step? I have never worked with the material and I am unsure if this would be better done by a shop in my case. I will be searching the forum after posting this, however any advice is appreciated on which areas to focus on (doors, trunk, etc.) and any tips/tricks you’d wish to share.

Thank you very much for reading, I do apologize for my ignorance surrounding these topics. Glad to join such a great community.

P.S. if anyone has experienced an iDrive upgrade similar to the ones about to occur on the 2017 models (higher resolution screen and all new layout/Wi-Fi capability) feel free to throw out your experience. This may be a retrofit I will be performing in the future.
Hi NCM2 . Some required reading for you:

This thread, which explains the source of the 'hissing' you're describing and the two methods used to reduce and/or eliminate it

and

this thread from the 2Addicts forum, which describes in detail the modifications -- most relatively low-cost -- one person made to his 2 Series HK audio.

We audio nuts over on 2Addicts pretty much all consider the Bavsound 2 Series upgrade kits, including the one for the HK that's standard in the M2, overpriced and subpar in build quality so far. The company has not done a good job with the 2 Series product rollout, which has yet to happen for its HK kits (should be any day now for initial orders) and was pretty disastrous with the coaxial kits for Hi-Fi-level systems a couple of months ago. The thread above mentions one alternative, Eton, which is sold un the EU and one of the better alternatives for significantly less money. Other drop-in component options are made by Focal, Jehnert, MB Quart (may be out of production) and a couple of other manufacturers.

The weatherstripping would be a smart add, too (though it'd also slightly lessen the M2's glorious exhaust note, hehe ... ). Dynamat will not reduce wheel/road noise much, if at all; it will help isolate your speakers so that they are more accurate and reduce the possibility of harmonic vibrations on metal and some hard plastic surfaces. For rote noise isolation, I'd use something far lighter and more tailor-made for the purpose.

Good luck!
Appreciate 2
      06-15-2016, 07:35 AM   #3
NCM2
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2 - LBB

Thank you for the input! I'll get right to reading.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 09:31 PM   #4
Kantalias
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

I added the door seals and would say the biggest impact was on wind noise and front tire noise: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1265176; you don't really lose any engine sound. I just did a 1000+ mile road trip and the difference is palpable and positive. Install is cake. The big noise source (engine and exhaust are not noise to me) remaining in the cabin comes from the rear tires. As soon as ASD is off it's all you'll hear for a few days. You get used to it, but out on the highway it'd be good if it were 3 or 6 dB less. Part of it is from the trunk, but a lot seems to come from under the rear seat where a quite a bit of sound deadening was removed. I kinda wish the 24 kg of material they removed was an option to add back (even if it were at cost).
Appreciate 1