BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Which seats are the lowest (manual vs electric)

06-02-2016, 12:38 AM   #23
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzino View Post
You want manual M2 seats so bad, you are willing to chance your electric seats in your M2...only for the height reason?
Yes. I'd swap seats today just for the height advantage. No way I can wear a helmet in this car. I'm pretty tall.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 01:29 AM   #24
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

Quote:
Besides the memory function; what is the extra functionality you are talking about?
OK,

The manual seats will not adjust in height when you sit on them.For this you need to get out of the Seat,pull the lever on the side for the Seat to raise to the highest position,then you need to get back on the seat and pull the lever for the Seat to lower to your desired level.This only happens due to the weight of the person.

With the electric seats it's all done for you.The adjustability is finer than the manual seats as well.After having manual seats in BMW's all I can say is that they are a lot cruder,hence the functionality is better in the electric seats.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 05:46 AM   #25
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Lives View Post
OK,

The manual seats will not adjust in height when you sit on them.For this you need to get out of the Seat,pull the lever on the side for the Seat to raise to the highest position,then you need to get back on the seat and pull the lever for the Seat to lower to your desired level.This only happens due to the weight of the person.

With the electric seats it's all done for you.The adjustability is finer than the manual seats as well.After having manual seats in BMW's all I can say is that they are a lot cruder,hence the functionality is better in the electric seats.
Why would I need to be able to adjust my seats more easily? Not like I am going to let anyone else drive it!
Appreciate 3
      06-02-2016, 05:58 AM   #26
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose-1er View Post
Why would I need to be able to adjust my seats more easily? Not like I am going to let anyone else drive it!

That's a very selfish and understandable stance to take Mr.Bluenose
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 01:36 AM   #27
clubsport
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB

I looked into this a bit.

You can find manual seats but they cannot be shipped with airbags. I suspected an expensive install removing all of the current airbags, hoping all of the connects match, and re-installing them in the imported seats.

In a couple of weeks I'll have some Recaro CS seats put in and I'll post pics. The MileHigh member already has the BMW Performance seats from 2011 installed. Look great.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 11:18 AM   #28
3tekcorps
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubsport View Post

You can find manual seats but they cannot be shipped with airbags. I suspected an expensive install removing all of the current airbags, hoping all of the connects match, and re-installing them in the imported seats.

In a couple of weeks I'll have some Recaro CS seats put in and I'll post pics. The MileHigh member already has the BMW Performance seats from 2011 installed. Look great.

Nice.. The seats are my only issue with the car. Have you thought about M4 seats? There was a seat on Ebay a week ago, but I think they sold. Are they better in anyway. The seat side bolster are too narrow for my build and I need something wider.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 03:19 PM   #29
clubsport
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tekcorps View Post
Nice.. The seats are my only issue with the car. Have you thought about M4 seats? There was a seat on Ebay a week ago, but I think they sold. Are they better in anyway. The seat side bolster are too narrow for my build and I need something wider.
I think the CS seat is perfect. I'm 6'7", I like it better than the Recaro Sport/SRD seats. Both the CS and the Sport come in a "comfort" model, as well. It has a much less aggressive bottom bolster section for easier ingress/egress.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 04:18 PM   #30
3tekcorps
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubsport View Post
I think the CS seat is perfect. I'm 6'7", I like it better than the Recaro Sport/SRD seats. Both the CS and the Sport come in a "comfort" model, as well. It has a much less aggressive bottom bolster section for easier ingress/egress.
Nice. Did any manufactures use these as OEM where a deal could be had from a wrecker? I'm sorta choking on the $3500 seat upgrade expense.

Are Recaros used in some of the Subaru models ?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 07:09 PM   #31
ClothSeats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tekcorps View Post
Nice. Did any manufactures use these as OEM where a deal could be had from a wrecker? I'm sorta choking on the $3500 seat upgrade expense.

Are Recaros used in some of the Subaru models ?
The Evo X had Recaros that are fairly reasonably priced on the used market.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 12:32 AM   #32
3tekcorps
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothSeats View Post
The Evo X had Recaros that are fairly reasonably priced on the used market.
Those are good looking seats. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 06:09 AM   #33
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL
Quote:
Adamant? What does that mean?
-Very hard material.
-Or a guy who is going to rob your M2 when you're not expecting it...
Grand Theft Auto avant la lettre lol.

Which one do you prefer

Cheers
Robin
Dammit you beat me to to it !!!

Let me tell you , that I'm pretty adamant about preferring Adam Ant to Grand Theft Auto.

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 06:19 AM   #34
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Lives
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose-1er View Post

That's a very selfish and understandable stance to take Mr.Bluenose
Only as ridiculous as the fact that one might prefer a " fine adjusting " power seat when they can't sit upright straight.

The facts are the facts and they can't be ignored. There is more headroom with a manual seat. Whether or not one shares that seat with others, or whether they move the seat back and forth once or never is a personal issue.

Having the *convenience * of power seats isn't something everyone wants, just like not everyone wants to listen to music that's in an MP3 format. Sure it's more portable, more convenient in your phone , takes up less memory and sounds decent, but it's still inferior sound quality to the simple compact disc.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 06:20 AM   #35
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubsport

The BMW Performance seats that came out in 2011 for the 1M would be a great option but they are definitely very pricey
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 07:37 AM   #36
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Only as ridiculous as the fact that one might prefer a " fine adjusting " power seat when they can't sit upright straight.

The facts are the facts and they can't be ignored. There is more headroom with a manual seat. Whether or not one shares that seat with others, or whether they move the seat back and forth once or never is a personal issue.

Having the *convenience * of power seats isn't something everyone wants, just like not everyone wants to listen to music that's in an MP3 format. Sure it's more portable, more convenient in your phone , takes up less memory and sounds decent, but it's still inferior sound quality to the simple compact disc.
Where's all this come from ?

I think you need to re-read the thread starting from the top of page 1.

The op stated that he'd read that the electric seats were lower and is asking whether anybody knows.I've read the same;that is they sit lower.

Yes facts are facts but irrelevant for you to start lambasting me when you've got the wrong end of the stick

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 11:20 AM   #37
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

My BMW dealer confirmed that the seats of the M2 are indeed the same sport seats as in the M235i....so if the manual seats in the M235i are lower then the electric seats then this is also the case in the M2. I ordered my M2 with manual seats, because I want to sit as low as possible in the M2.
      06-04-2016, 05:59 PM   #38
clubsport
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My BMW dealer confirmed that the seats of the M2 are indeed the same sport seats as in the M235i....so if the manual seats in the M235i are lower then the electric seats then this is also the case in the M2. I ordered my M2 with manual seats, because I want to sit as low as possible in the M2.
Jealous that you have that option.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 06:41 PM   #39
3tekcorps
Major
Rep

My dealer had a 228 and an M235 on the lot with the only difference in seats being manual vs E seats. The 228 had lots more head room with the Manual Sport seats.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 06:42 PM   #40
Coulson T
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: awaiting a MG M2

I ordered a MG in Feb and finally got to drive a beautiful blue M2 Demo 6 speed manual today, as I'm 6'2" and packing a bit to many pounds had concerns that there would not be room for my helmet and my big feet,,,All my fears were sent packing as the car is roomy and the power seats were easy to lower and adjust in many ways with adequate headroom. The peddle box is a bit tight and off center to the outside a bit but I had no trouble as the clutch is pure butter and the trans is the best I've ever driven. Five or six long weeks left to wait for mine...
Don't mean to take lightly others concerns for the choice of seats looks like the US models are all power, there should be options for all drivers.

This waiting game is wearing on me..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 06:52 PM   #41
3tekcorps
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coulson T View Post
I ordered a MG in Feb and finally got to drive a beautiful blue M2 Demo 6 speed manual today, as I'm 6'2" and packing a bit to many pounds had concerns that there would not be room for my helmet and my big feet,,,All my fears were sent packing as the car is roomy and the power seats were easy to lower and adjust in many ways with adequate headroom. The peddle box is a bit tight and off center to the outside a bit but I had no trouble as the clutch is pure butter and the trans is the best I've ever driven. Five or six long weeks left to wait for mine...
Don't mean to take lightly others concerns for the choice of seats looks like the US models are all power, there should be options for all drivers.

This waiting game is wearing on me..
Do you sit between the bottom seat bolsters or somewhat overlap them with your legs? I think for bigger dudes the bottom seat bolsters are too narrow and after a few hours it's not real comfortable. It's not something you notice on a 10 minute test drive though.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 08:25 AM   #42
philisme
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Coupe + M2 + 330e

Garage List
2016 BMW 330e  [0.00]
2012 BMW 1M coupe  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
I orderer my M2 with manual seats and without glass sunroof for headroom too.

I had a M235i with electric seats and sunroof, and my helmet was hitting the roof on the track.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 05:47 PM   #43
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by philisme View Post
I orderer my M2 with manual seats and without glass sunroof for headroom too.

I had a M235i with electric seats and sunroof, and my helmet was hitting the roof on the track.
Good choice!
Did you go for a manual or DKG and why?
      06-15-2016, 05:58 PM   #44
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

I know this is about seat height, but don't forget if your kids use the rear seats a lot, the electric seats move fwd and back with a press if a button and return to precise same position.