BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Typical "break in" Period for a M2 Car

10-16-2016, 04:12 PM   #89
riske
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 & 435d xdrive convertible

My friends and I have been discussing this 'break in' period and IF BMW really thought going over 5500rpm and WOT were not good for the car then the ECU would be limited just like it is when you start and try to rev when cold. The engineers would limit the power until you visited the dealer after the service at 1200kms.
DCT in sport mode revs to 7k before changing, that wouldn't happen if they thought it wasnt good for the car.
Just my 2p worth.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 06:41 AM   #90
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by canerveli View Post
My friends and I have been discussing this 'break in' period and IF BMW really thought going over 5500rpm and WOT were not good for the car then the ECU would be limited just like it is when you start and try to rev when cold. The engineers would limit the power until you visited the dealer after the service at 1200kms.
DCT in sport mode revs to 7k before changing, that wouldn't happen if they thought it wasnt good for the car.
Just my 2p worth.
Its fine to do it under normal circumstances. They just don't want you banging off the rev limiter every time you shift for the first 1200 miles.

Keep in mind they also datalog everything during the break in period.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 04:56 PM   #91
MFan_Ken
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 LLB, 6MT, Exe, Car Play

For what it's worth, I asked the Genius at my local dealer about what the break-in recommendations would be for my new M2 (coming soon). He said that he didn't think there was any break-in requirements anymore for M models, since this is pretty much done at the factory.
Appreciate 1
kezm231.00
      10-18-2016, 03:30 AM   #92
D CHOI
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFan_Ken View Post
For what it's worth, I asked the Genius at my local dealer about what the break-in recommendations would be for my new M2 (coming soon). He said that he didn't think there was any break-in requirements anymore for M models, since this is pretty much done at the factory.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 07:03 AM   #93
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Seat the rings. Drive firmly but not overly aggressive (redline WOT, hard kick-downs, etc.) Gradually drive more and more aggressively as miles progress. Driving like a pussy for the first 1200 miles may actually cause the motor to have less horsepower during its lifetime.
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 2
No Boost4019.00
ewohar21.50
      10-18-2016, 09:15 AM   #94
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsch View Post
Seat the rings. Drive firmly but not overly aggressive (redline WOT, hard kick-downs, etc.) Gradually drive more and more aggressively as miles progress. Driving like a pussy for the first 1200 miles may actually cause the motor to have less horsepower during its lifetime.
The rings will get seated in the first 20 miles if they haven't already been at the factory. Hence why everyone should be sure to load the motor at low rpms when they first do pickup (not the same as WOT redline). The 1200 miles is more or less for the rear diff.

Tolerances are so tight now you don't see the mass shedding of metal in the break in oil that we used to see.

Last edited by PackPride85; 10-18-2016 at 09:21 AM..
Appreciate 2
ewohar21.50
      10-20-2016, 11:54 AM   #95
riske
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 & 435d xdrive convertible

Why is this such a hit or miss thing? Why has it been so prone to hearsay and no cold hard facts? BMW genuis' dont even know.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 09:17 AM   #96
ewohar
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I Dinan Stage II

I think break in advise is to be taken with a grain of salt. Have fun, drive the car hard but not crazy and if you want to run to 140mph or to redline just do it after you have a few 100 miles on the car.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2016, 11:25 AM   #97
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
The rings will get seated in the first 20 miles if they haven't already been at the factory. Hence why everyone should be sure to load the motor at low rpms when they first do pickup (not the same as WOT redline). The 1200 miles is more or less for the rear diff.

Tolerances are so tight now you don't see the mass shedding of metal in the break in oil that we used to see.
Correct.
      11-02-2016, 03:20 PM   #98
Tano
Lieutenant
Hungary
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

EE also explains this topic.
Appreciate 1
zenmaster1574.50
      11-02-2016, 08:32 PM   #99
brrgofast
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
So I hate to ask a stupid question after reading this entire thread but I just don't understand what engine load is. And how do I vary this during the first 1200 miles? I taking delivery at PCD in a few weeks and will be making a 1300 mile drive home. I'm obviously not a mechanic and google hasn't helped me much.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 10:09 PM   #100
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrgofast View Post
So I hate to ask a stupid question after reading this entire thread but I just don't understand what engine load is. And how do I vary this during the first 1200 miles? I taking delivery at PCD in a few weeks and will be making a 1300 mile drive home. I'm obviously not a mechanic and google hasn't helped me much.

Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910903.50
      12-13-2016, 11:12 PM   #101
COBMW144
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 xDrive Competition

I've personally been playing by the rules (mostly) since picking mine up Monday. I haven't moved it into sport mode yet and minus a few conservative pulls I've been pretty good. I think I may have gone to 5800 rpm twice but blame my foot for that. It's a DCT by the way, coming from a manual I must say I am thoroughly impressed. It's not my daily driver either so it may take a bit before I hit 1200 miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 11:13 PM   #102
lpak
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 (MT/AW)

I think i'm as confused as most. I have family connection who is the senior race engineer for the V8 Supercars here in Australia and reached out to him for advice;

(1) Modern engines and equipment "break-in" very quickly but do require some hard pulls. He figured the factory would of done this.

For their cars, they do a few dino pulls, spend a couple hours "breaking" it in (quite aggressive by the sounds of it). Then, every race day they warm up the car for an hour and it's ready for racing. So from a performance stand-point, that's all folks. No 2000km run in, not even close.

He did qualify that they rebuild the engine every 3500km so it's not apples and apples with a production car that is (hopefully) going to do 200,000+km. That is, they are not concerned with longevity like we are.

(2) He was pretty adamant that the worst thing you can do to your car is drifting/sliding at any stage in the car's life. Once the wheels let go and then grab again, there are lots of reverse torques going through the drive train that put serious strain on the parts.

His advice was to warm everything up, keep the nannies on and go hard, kiss the limiter at times, and shift. It's designed for that but don't hang out with WOT banging on the limiter and don't drift - keep traction.

(3) DISCLAIMER
He also said to follow the BMW advice. This was in connection to both the points of longevity and "are they watching you".

To this later point, does anyone have any substantiated evidence that BMW does void the warranty? Does anyone know what they are tracking? is it 1 second sampled data for the history of the car or simply a recording of "Max revs"?

I have the M2 MT and the throttle blip wacks it up on aggressive downshifting.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 07:11 PM   #103
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpak View Post
does anyone have any substantiated evidence that BMW does void the warranty
If they do, the owner of the HEA car I test drove this summer is in for nasty surprise when he/she comes in for the 1200 mile checkup because I sure as sh*t floored that thing and took it up to redline.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 11:02 AM   #104
bmwv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i Manual, M2 LBB DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Is it ok to drive a few hundred more miles before the service?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 03:21 PM   #105
Nspin298
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 MY17 LBB DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHOI View Post
Thanks I'm getting my m2 in two weeks and that video was very useful to watch.

Interesting to note he said to get the temperature up to normal operating range every time you drive it when in break in period (ie avoid short drives)

I'll have to take a longer detour to work when the car is new lol as its just a short drive for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 07:14 PM   #106
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nspin298 View Post

Interesting to note he said to get the temperature up to normal operating range every time you drive it when in break in period (ie avoid short drives)

I'll have to take a longer detour to work when the car is new lol as its just a short drive for me.
I think short drives should be fine as long as you have the car warmed up. While sitting in the car waiting you can get familiar with the Idrive and all the menus and functions. Also I believe there is an app where you can remote start your car too!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 04:30 AM   #107
SupraSaiyan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6MT Stripper AW/Black

Quote:
Quote:

I think short drives should be fine as long as you have the car warmed up. While sitting in the car waiting you can get familiar with the Idrive and all the menus and functions. Also I believe there is an app where you can remote start your car too!
Would appreciate the name of such app! Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 08:25 AM   #108
D CHOI
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraSaiyan View Post
I think its called BMW Connect...I'm not sure. You can try looking that up or reading the driver's manual.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 08:29 AM   #109
dasblack
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraSaiyan View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Can't auto start using BMW Connect
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 07:05 PM   #110
COM2
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 LBB 6SPD M2

Quote:

This is my first post being a BMW owner and M2 owner, so thought I'd discuss my first 1050 miles and driving habits to dispel any uncertainty that you or anyone may have. Received the car at the dealer on 12/16 with winter wheels/tires and drove home in the snow at 10pm. Car handles perfect with Michelin Alpin PA4s. By the way, had quite a few stares, I think I'm the first to drive an M2 home in Denver in the snow.

Dealer Genius's and management recommended staying ~<5000 rpm for 1200 mile break in period. In short, I've stuck to the recommended factory break in rules and drive the car with care, and with clean shifts. I always downshift between all gears in all driving situations, and vary engine load often.

I've driven a mixture of rural roads, city, and highway. Taken the car to 100 mph on a few occasions, it's easy to do in 6th gear @ 3,200rpm at 75mph. I generally keep rpm between 2,500-4500rpm in all road conditions and have generally stuck to posted speed limit during break in. I switch to sport and sport+ 1-2x/week and after driving for 30 min to perform 1/2 throttle pulls. Varying load while getting used to the low end torque. I've slipped the clutch accidentally on 2 occasions ~6,000rpm; had been driving for at least an hour before over reviving.

Had dealer install DINAN P1 package before taking delivery. Performance at 6,000ft elevation is exceptional. 1/2 throttle puls in Sport mode during break in period are impressive, scares the wife and she drives black '16 M235i Xdrive with all season tires.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the M2/M235i and BMW product.
Appreciate 0