BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > anyone come to an m2c from a porsche 981?

11-18-2019, 11:05 AM   #23
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Baege

(1) To be clear, I think the M2C is a FANTSTIC car. In my mind, no sport car offers more performance for the money.

(2) Between the M2C and 718 CGTS and CPO 981 GTS, I decided upon the 718. As much as I am a fan of the M2C, I felt - and continue to feel - the 718 CGTS offers better overall performance and more fully encompasses other factors important to ME. As is unanimous, the 981 NA F6 offers engine/exhaust acoustics not approached by the 718, or M2C. Otherwise, the 718 far outperforms the 981. . . unless, perhaps, you are a tracker who lives above 4K RPMs. I am not. All my comments reflect spirited daily driving.

(3) Lots of reference to more purely subjective matters, such as the M2C looking 'aggressive' and the 718 'feminine,' etc. Such subjectivity is never going to be of any value to you whatsoever. I realize that my performance points made in (2) above most likely are more subjective than objective. Thus, I must ultimately refer to (5) below. All said, I think the M2C is a fine-looking vehicle – 'aggressive' – however, I see nothing 'feminine' about my 718 CGTS. What do YOU see? What do YOU like?

(4) I think if you posed the same questions on a 718 or 981 forum you are going to find there are an equal number of former/current BEEMER owners who find their Cayman superior in comparison. No opinion is right or wrong, but I do believe ownership bias can be both significant and misleading to anyone considering one versus another brand or model. I do not have to go out of my way to repeatedly state just how much I like the M2C, but I am a 718 CGTS owner and personal bias cannot be avoided.

(5) The ONLY truly objective and meaningful manner to arrive at the 'right' answer for YOU is to get behind the wheel of whatever models you are considering. This type of statement is not simply a cliché. Well, perhaps it is a cliché . . . and for good reason. Obviously, you have a lot of seat time in the 981 Cayman, so all you really need to do is spend some time behind the wheel of an M2C to gain valid opinion specific to YOU.

Matt, a frequent poster on this and Cayman forums, recently considered the M2C versus a 718 Cayman. Matt spent considerable time behind the wheel of the M2C and 718 Cayman as part of his decision process. My impression according to his comments on the M2 subforum was that he was leaning heavily toward the M2C. Probably because most of his early comments were based on his impression of the M2C PRIOR to his having the opportunity to drive the M2C. In any regard, Matt recently took delivery and announced he decided to go with a CPO 718 Cayman. I am not surprised, nor would I have been if Matt had decided the M2C was the 'right' vehicle for HIM.

I look forward to hearing which direction you decide to take in your purchase between the M2C and CPO 981.

///AVM
Agreed, seat time is critical but hard to come by with a manual M2C. I've driven 2 and got some impressions.

sound is better than I expected
definitely strong engine, but didn't feel much stronger than my b58 at low rpm (which is all I was able to expose given the newness of the test drive vehicles)
manual was a tad rubbery (I know there's a fix)
very precise body control and feel, nice handling car
great size and visiblity

I definitely liked it, but didn't walk away saying "I want this car!".

But i have come to realize without spending significantly more, I don't think I will ever get that feeling again (the last time I had it was 6 years ago on a test drive of a 981S and I've driven MANY cars since then).

So I am leaning towards the M2C now.
This statement really resonated with me. This is how I felt after test driving the M2C the first time. Granted by the third time I was pretty sold, but to be fair, I was coming from 2 F80s (his and hers) and had the chance to beat on an M2C at thermal before my last test drive.

That being said, I was still very cautious because, for example, unlike my test drive for my EvoX or my e46 M3 10+ years ago, I didn't walk away with the certainty I was expecting given all the hype.

However, all this changed when I picked it up at the Welt and had a chance to beat it in the twisties in the Swiss Alps. It went from being a "hell yeah, this going to be sweet" to a "I may never sell this car" (which if you know anything about my car history, I would never say).

It is definitely one of those cars that you don't become certain until you own. It's easy to get burned because of the hype (e.g., my brief stint with a 6th gen Camaro SS because of all the owner reviews, then come to find out a lot of it was a lot of justifying the purchase) and the M2C has a bunch of hype. But, now that I own one, I get the hype, and am happy I made the jump.

One last thing, I haven't done it yet, and the parts are on order and I hope to do it soon, but after driving one with a UCP and the ASS SSK, I can confidently say that it is the one mod that really changes the character of the car in way that reminds me of the "good ol days".

Point of this long annoying post is simply this - given your car history and expectations, you won't feel blown away until you take the plunge. But when you do, I can confidently say it's worth it. And if you have a hard time believing that, just look at the used market for this car and the OG M2. Owners are keeping these things for a reason, and a lot of it has to do with the sheer pleasure it brings and the nostalgia chords it pulls.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 2
baege1328.00
      11-18-2019, 11:10 AM   #24
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannondale900 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mm2 View Post
I went from a BMW 1M to a 991.1 to a 991.2 and then my wife got a 2018 M2.

Overall for daily driving the M2C takes it (muscle car feel) while track duty would go to the GTS. The only reason I'm torn is that we would have two M2s and can't get my head around that yet.
I would never be able to get my head around having two similar chassis codes in the garage at the same time. At one time, before I picked up my 2010 535ixT, I considered an E53 4.8is. The problem was my wife had an E53, that I loved, for nearly 8 years. As much as I liked the E53, I just couldn't bring myself to pass up experiencing a different car.
I get this sentiment haha. I felt this way for a long time. In fact I got a 6th Gen Camaro SS because I didn't also want an F80 like my wife's for the same reason (although I adored her car). Had the Camaro for less than a year before I hopped in another F80. You cannot control why you love haha. For a while we were the only couple at all the Cars and Coffee, BMWCCA, and AutoX days with matching chassis (albeit separate mods/colors, etc). Finally I decided to get rid of it for the M2C because I was sorely missing a manual (although I loved the DCT) and I wanted to be able to be one of the last few people to buy a new car with one and drive it in Europe.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2019, 02:53 PM   #25
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannondale900 View Post
I would never be able to get my head around having two similar chassis codes in the garage at the same time. At one time, before I picked up my 2010 535ixT, I considered an E53 4.8is. The problem was my wife had an E53, that I loved, for nearly 8 years. As much as I liked the E53, I just couldn't bring myself to pass up experiencing a different car.
My thoughts exactly.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 05:30 AM   #26
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
This statement really resonated with me. This is how I felt after test driving the M2C the first time. Granted by the third time I was pretty sold, but to be fair, I was coming from 2 F80s (his and hers) and had the chance to beat on an M2C at thermal before my last test drive.

That being said, I was still very cautious because, for example, unlike my test drive for my EvoX or my e46 M3 10+ years ago, I didn't walk away with the certainty I was expecting given all the hype.

However, all this changed when I picked it up at the Welt and had a chance to beat it in the twisties in the Swiss Alps. It went from being a "hell yeah, this going to be sweet" to a "I may never sell this car" (which if you know anything about my car history, I would never say).

It is definitely one of those cars that you don't become certain until you own. It's easy to get burned because of the hype (e.g., my brief stint with a 6th gen Camaro SS because of all the owner reviews, then come to find out a lot of it was a lot of justifying the purchase) and the M2C has a bunch of hype. But, now that I own one, I get the hype, and am happy I made the jump.

One last thing, I haven't done it yet, and the parts are on order and I hope to do it soon, but after driving one with a UCP and the ASS SSK, I can confidently say that it is the one mod that really changes the character of the car in way that reminds me of the "good ol days".

Point of this long annoying post is simply this - given your car history and expectations, you won't feel blown away until you take the plunge. But when you do, I can confidently say it's worth it. And if you have a hard time believing that, just look at the used market for this car and the OG M2. Owners are keeping these things for a reason, and a lot of it has to do with the sheer pleasure it brings and the nostalgia chords it pulls.
Wow this post is so on point. indeed I did get burnt by the hype of a car when I bought a 2015 C7 back in late 2014 when all the reviewers and owners were going nuts over them. A 10 minute test drive didn't reveal all that the things I didn't like about the car that I soon discovered once I picked it up and drove it a few days.

with the c7 I was also "meh" after the brief test drive, and so a similar "meh" after the M2C had me wondering, your post definitely gives me some reassurance
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      11-19-2019, 01:31 PM   #27
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

I own both. Took delivery of my 2016 Porsche Cayman 981S a couple of years ago. I wanted to own the last of the normally aspirated Cayman's. Ordered it late enough that my ordering dealership asked if I'd rather take the four cylinder turbo.

It had to be a manual tranny. Always owned and driven 4, 5 and 6 speeds with third pedals.

Especially in a Porsche. One must experience how Porsche does manual transmissions!

I've had my M235i for about 18 months when I took delivery of my new Porsche. The M235i was adequate especially after I modded it to Stage 2 FBO.

Then took delivery of my M2C. Definitely exceeded my expectations. M235i is now gone. M2C rules the garage and my definite choice if I can only have one car.
      11-19-2019, 10:15 PM   #28
grl.racr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, MK8 R, RS6 Avant

Sold my 981 GT4 at the beginning of fall - ordering a comp for Euro delivery next summer. M2C is the better all around car, better for power, and if you need one to do it all it's definitely the best choice.

I really enjoyed my GT4 but I felt like it was missing something. Unless I was driving absolutely insane and revving it out the car felt slow and... sedate. Even pushing the limits it was so ridiculously civilized and almost too serious. It's truly a precision weapon. You can't beat the clutch and shifter feel. But other than that, it lacks the playfulness the M2/C offers. I do plan to add back a supercar to my garage in another year or so as I like things that are crazy and over the top - all the things the GT4 isn't
Appreciate 2
baege1328.00
Jarran10.50
      11-19-2019, 10:53 PM   #29
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.boost View Post
Sold my 981 GT4 at the beginning of fall - ordering a comp for Euro delivery next summer. M2C is the better all around car, better for power, and if you need one to do it all it's definitely the best choice.

I really enjoyed my GT4 but I felt like it was missing something. Unless I was driving absolutely insane and revving it out the car felt slow and... sedate. Even pushing the limits it was so ridiculously civilized and almost too serious. It's truly a precision weapon. You can't beat the clutch and shifter feel. But other than that, it lacks the playfulness the M2/C offers. I do plan to add back a supercar to my garage in another year or so as I like things that are crazy and over the top - all the things the GT4 isn't
Can you elaborate?

I'm actually considering adding a 981 GT4...However, I've been hearing a lot of the same from various forum members.

So, what is it? Long gearing is an issue? Not enough Torque? Not fun at low speeds in and around town?

I'm just trying to wrap my head around it and now I'm concerned maybe this is not the car to add to my 1M?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 05:27 AM   #30
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado1M View Post
Can you elaborate?

I'm actually considering adding a 981 GT4...However, I've been hearing a lot of the same from various forum members.

So, what is it? Long gearing is an issue? Not enough Torque? Not fun at low speeds in and around town?

I'm just trying to wrap my head around it and now I'm concerned maybe this is not the car to add to my 1M?

I can't speak to the 981 GT4, but I had 2 981S's and yes the long gearing takes away from the fun as a road car. About the only time I got to hear that flat six sing all the way to 7500 rpm was on ramps where no one was a head of me (a rare thing in toronto). In urban driving very tough to really rev it out, which is a lot of the fun in those cars. The 3.4 definitely is no torque monster but it felt torquey enough (unlike the 2.7), the 3.8 I am sure feels even torquier. But once you get used to a torquey turbo, the flat sixes can feel kinda well...flat

And of course the other main attribute of the 981's is the handling and cornering which is at such a high level that is again very hard to enjoy in a big city with traffic (everyone is always in your way).
Appreciate 2
Tornado1M1209.00
cptobvious2531.50
      11-20-2019, 12:00 PM   #31
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

The Cayman 981 are wonderful track cars and great in the wild. Not a point and shoot car for daily driving.

The M2C is and an all-around driver's car. Track or street. Daily driving or extended road trips.

I'm looking into perhaps improving the items I feel missing with my M2C.

Researching two products. Auto Solution shift kit and Ultimate Clutch pedal kit.
      11-20-2019, 03:03 PM   #32
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
The Cayman 981 are wonderful track cars and great in the wild. Not a point and shoot car for daily driving.

The M2C is and an all-around driver's car. Track or street. Daily driving or extended road trips.

I'm looking into perhaps improving the items I feel missing with my M2C.

Researching two products. Auto Solution shift kit and Ultimate Clutch pedal kit.
Do this mod. I have the parts on order, so I do not have them installed yet, but I did have the pleasure of driving one with both, and it really does change the experience for the better.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 05:19 PM   #33
grl.racr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, MK8 R, RS6 Avant

Quote:
Can you elaborate?

Yeah, very long gearing and it's NA so you really need to be up in the revs to feel any bit of power. Driving around the city it felt way slower than my OG m2. I actually hated driving the car for daily tasks - would only take it out for weekend cruises to hit the roads it would shine on. I am not a big track driver, which is where the car belongs.

If I had to do it over again I would choose the 991.2 GT3 with a manual. That's actually the car I originally wanted but prices were wayyyyy over inflated when I was in the market. That car has more grunt and better mid range torque. When I drove it back to back with my GT4 I was actually blown away with how ridiculously fast it felt in comparison.
Appreciate 2
Tornado1M1209.00
Jarran10.50
      11-20-2019, 06:55 PM   #34
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I can't speak to the 981 GT4, but I had 2 981S's and yes the long gearing takes away from the fun as a road car. About the only time I got to hear that flat six sing all the way to 7500 rpm was on ramps where no one was a head of me (a rare thing in toronto).
This is where the 718 GTS shines as it gives you the low end for street/track duty.
Appreciate 2
natmad667.00
Jarran10.50
      11-21-2019, 05:27 AM   #35
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

well I've ordered one

a stripper, black, manual with 437m wheels

anticipated arrival late Feb 2020

so by the spring once the first service is done, I too will be able to properly contribute to this thread

Appreciate 2
Thescout134944.00
cptobvious2531.50
      11-21-2019, 05:52 AM   #36
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
well I've ordered one

a stripper, black, manual with 437m wheels

anticipated arrival late Feb 2020

so by the spring once the first service is done, I too will be able to properly contribute to this thread

Congrats!
Appreciate 1
baege1328.00
      11-22-2019, 01:40 PM   #37
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Extremely. There is a “x” factor in this car very similar to my earlier 911’s. You just know it when it’s there. Unlike a lot of performance cars costing twice as much $$, the M2C feels alive in its feedback of the road and personality. This is so rare in a modern car. A lot of cars are fast but the way they go about it feels numb and dead. I don’t want merely an appliance of speed as it’s too easy to get bored. I still own classic air-cooled 911’s but I am probably done with modern Porsche models. On a different note: I tried to like the new Cayenne Turbo but felt the new G05 X5 50i M-Sport was a better all around. I ended buying one of those as well.
Nice picture! I think we've chatted before on here about Porsche ownership. I've been spending more time on Rennlist lately because the Porsche itch is real. But the cars that I truly want are the 981 Spyder, 997 GT3 or Turbo (all over the map I know), and they're all $80k+ for good ones. What Porsches did you have over the 30 years?

It all of a sudden makes a $60k M2C a bargain. I'm not sure I want to get another coupe as I cannot think of parting ways with my E92 M3.

Quote:
Can you elaborate?

I'm not an owner, but my friend had one for 2 years and had a chance to drive it many times. Right before that, he had a 911.1 C2S. In the mountains, I was able to keep up with him in the GT4 no problem (he's a much faster driver than me). The car is just so easy to drive and the limits are so damn high. It really depends what you plan on using the car for. For just road usage, I actually think you're better off in a 981 Spyder. Sure, the 2nd gear being long will still be a problem, but at least you don't have to drive as fast to enjoy the car IMO.

For almost the same money, I'd personally rather have a 997.1 GT3.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 06:56 AM   #38
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I went with the M2C

Updating this thread since I now myself have made the move into an M2C and am very happy with it (and haven't even passed break in)

this one of the rare occasions in life where the reality exceeds expectations

as I explained above I was rather "meh" after 2 test drives of the M2C

but there was nothing else out there that really appealed other than going back to a 981S (I've have had 2 before)

So I ordered the M2C halfheartedly due a lack of other options

I have to say from the moment I saw it the experience has exceeded my expectations

the muscular looks of the car immediately impressed me, it looks very mean, and much more aggressive than the 981S which is a beautiful car but perhaps a touch more "feminine"

the interior is nicely done

and the whole drive is just so focused and fun, the sound inside the car is better than expected (still no flat six of course), the low end torque is gobs of fun, the shift action felt a little loose at first but it's good enough that I don't even really notice anymore, the ride is reasonably composed, the handling is very focused with sharp turn in and the car is flat throughout

the car is just loads of fun and I say this without pushing the car at all (tires need 800 km of break-in and of course the 2000 km break in procedure applies)...I look forward to the next drive in a way that hasn't happened since my first 981S

definitely happy I made this move

will report back after break in with what I expect will be even more exuberance for the car
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
KevinM2935.50
Moflow2484.50
Harroldv125.00
pizza240791.50
VisualEcho6629.00
      03-31-2020, 06:20 PM   #39
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

I know i'm a bit late. But i'm curious if you ever considered either a used S2k or a Miata on the side?

I own both an S2000 and my M2 Competition and i have to say, i'm hard pressed to find another car combination that can really beat what either car can offer.

The S2000 offers the visceral high revving Naturally Aspirated scalpel like handling, without the massive price point that a porsche 911 would have. And sure its 100hp down and not a true Mid engine car (engine technically sits behind the front axle so some people like to claim its min-engine), however you'd be hard pressed to find another car like that for the money nowadays.

The M2 C on the other hand (as i'm sure you'll find out) will give me the practicality and the speed that i sometimes crave. Sure revving to 8.2k is a dream in of itself, but also putting your foot down, hearing that tire squeal before shooting off 0-60 in just over 4 seconds is a great feeling as well.

Wheni drive each car back to back, i honestly cant say which car i prefer. They both offer something completely different than the other in a way each car cant really contest with. Personally i think its the best combination.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 07:05 PM   #40
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Baege

I think the M2 wheels are far superior to the M2C wheels . . . did you buy those new or used? How much dinero?

Sweet ride brother!

///AVM
Appreciate 1
baege1328.00
      03-31-2020, 10:06 PM   #41
pizza240
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Baege

I think the M2 wheels are far superior to the M2C wheels . . . did you buy those new or used? How much dinero?

Sweet ride brother!

///AVM
In Canada they offer the M2 wheels on the M2C as a no-charge option!
Appreciate 2
///AVM2528.00
VisualEcho6629.00
      04-01-2020, 06:17 AM   #42
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Baege

Sweet ride brother!

///AVM
thanks!
as pizza240 noted, the 437m's are a no cost factory option in Canada, this is one of the primary reasons I went new as opposed to pre-owned. I had found a black M2C manual pre-owned and tried to arrange a 437m swap, but the dealer wouldn't do it, and so I placed an order for a new one (at another dealer )
Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      04-01-2020, 06:31 AM   #43
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.boost View Post

This is why the 718 works for me. I have power earlier. All the hoopla about flat six sound only happens when you rev the piss out of it. You can’t drive around town like that lol.
Appreciate 1
pizza240791.50
      04-01-2020, 06:31 AM   #44
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Updating this thread since I now myself have made the move into an M2C and am very happy with it (and haven't even passed break in)

this one of the rare occasions in life where the reality exceeds expectations

as I explained above I was rather "meh" after 2 test drives of the M2C

but there was nothing else out there that really appealed other than going back to a 981S (I've have had 2 before)

So I ordered the M2C halfheartedly due a lack of other options

I have to say from the moment I saw it the experience has exceeded my expectations

the muscular looks of the car immediately impressed me, it looks very mean, and much more aggressive than the 981S which is a beautiful car but perhaps a touch more "feminine"

the interior is nicely done

and the whole drive is just so focused and fun, the sound inside the car is better than expected (still no flat six of course), the low end torque is gobs of fun, the shift action felt a little loose at first but it's good enough that I don't even really notice anymore, the ride is reasonably composed, the handling is very focused with sharp turn in and the car is flat throughout

the car is just loads of fun and I say this without pushing the car at all (tires need 800 km of break-in and of course the 2000 km break in procedure applies)...I look forward to the next drive in a way that hasn't happened since my first 981S

definitely happy I made this move

will report back after break in with what I expect will be even more exuberance for the car
You will be disappointed.
Appreciate 0