BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Bilstein PSS10 B16

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-02-2020, 01:11 PM   #1
Detoxified
Private
48
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: M2C HS
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Bilstein PSS10 B16

Anyone rocking these coilovers? Would love to hear your thoughts and please share photos of your ride height with the settings as well. (Ur photo of your car and if you are at the min height setting etc)

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 10:06 PM   #2
bentom2
Private First Class
United_States
66
Rep
120
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Redmond, WA

iTrader: (0)

See post #8 from DriverDaily

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1697147
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 03:34 AM   #3
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
1233
Rep
3,948
Posts

Drives: AW M2 DCT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SW London

iTrader: (3)

Daleb also has them on his M2

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=35
__________________
Fettled M135i EB AT - gone but not forgotten:
AW M2 DCT
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 05:16 AM   #4
Yellowflash21
First Lieutenant
Slovenia
351
Rep
360
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Slovenia

iTrader: (0)

Me me, as well and we're loving them.

Before I had stock shocks with eibach springs, but I hated the rear end.

The comfort was terrible and I was looking for something that can improve comfort and have better damping over standard suspension setup.

The B16 PSS10 was the right choice after very long search, and for my country shitty street use I run them on 5 knob position on all 4 corners. The height is bit lower then stock suspension, and the springs are really good quality as there isn't any height difference 4 months after installation.

There is a youtuber from Uk who reviewed them and he didn't like them after few months of usage. Because most of the people do the lowering and than expect that damping will be in check for standard road use. While adjustments has to be made when running them on street or on track.

That's why we measure the shock length when compressed and expanded in order to find the fine adjustment for standard road usage.
Appreciate 1
Bee Pee1232.50

      03-03-2020, 08:11 AM   #5
Detoxified
Private
48
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: M2C HS
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowflash21 View Post
Me me, as well and we're loving them.

Before I had stock shocks with eibach springs, but I hated the rear end.

The comfort was terrible and I was looking for something that can improve comfort and have better damping over standard suspension setup.

The B16 PSS10 was the right choice after very long search, and for my country shitty street use I run them on 5 knob position on all 4 corners. The height is bit lower then stock suspension, and the springs are really good quality as there isn't any height difference 4 months after installation.

There is a youtuber from Uk who reviewed them and he didn't like them after few months of usage. Because most of the people do the lowering and than expect that damping will be in check for standard road use. While adjustments has to be made when running them on street or on track.

That's why we measure the shock length when compressed and expanded in order to find the fine adjustment for standard road usage.
Thanks for the input. Do you have a photo of your setup/ride height?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 09:08 AM   #6
Yellowflash21
First Lieutenant
Slovenia
351
Rep
360
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Slovenia

iTrader: (0)

We have documented the initial measurements, but its in my friends garage. I will take snapshot of it, with the current car height by the end of this week.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2020, 09:14 AM   #7
Detoxified
Private
48
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: M2C HS
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowflash21 View Post
We have documented the initial measurements, but its in my friends garage. I will take snapshot of it, with the current car height by the end of this week.
Thank you, I look forward to seeing a photo!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 04:11 AM   #8
Alfy
Enlisted Member
Alfy's Avatar
Lebanon
59
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: M2 Competition
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Lebanon

iTrader: (0)

I installed the B16's on my car last week and loved the handling of the kit but faced an issue regarding the ride height as well. My plan was to drop the front by 20mm and the rear by 15mm compared to the stock ride height to achieve a positive rake of 5mm between front and rear.

Before the installation, I read the instruction booklet carefully and noticed that Bilstein specifies a minimum and maximum measurement range for the front and rear spring adjusters of (175mm-190mm from the spring seat to the center of the pinch bolt for the front and 50-60mm from the adjustable spring plate till the spring seat for the rears).

So I respected this range and set my measurements to 190mm (highest setting) on the front and 50mm (lowest setting) on the rear. To my surprise, the front got lowered by 25mm and the rear dropped by 10mm compared to stock. So I want to lift the front by 5mm and drop the rear by 5mm to achieve my desired ride height but I will fall out of Bilstein's specified range if I do so!!!

There are still plenty of threads on the spring adjuster to lift or drop the car but I don't know what the consequences will be if I exceed the range. My front is lower than the rear by 15mm at the moment which is 10mm above my desired goal.

Do you think it will be fine to exceed the specified measurements?
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 06:42 AM   #9
DriverDaily
Private First Class
98
Rep
115
Posts

Drives: M2 Competition
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfy View Post
I installed the B16's on my car last week and loved the handling of the kit but faced an issue regarding the ride height as well. My plan was to drop the front by 20mm and the rear by 15mm compared to the stock ride height to achieve a positive rake of 5mm between front and rear.

Before the installation, I read the instruction booklet carefully and noticed that Bilstein specifies a minimum and maximum measurement range for the front and rear spring adjusters of (175mm-190mm from the spring seat to the center of the pinch bolt for the front and 50-60mm from the adjustable spring plate till the spring seat for the rears).

So I respected this range and set my measurements to 190mm (highest setting) on the front and 50mm (lowest setting) on the rear. To my surprise, the front got lowered by 25mm and the rear dropped by 10mm compared to stock. So I want to lift the front by 5mm and drop the rear by 5mm to achieve my desired ride height but I will fall out of Bilstein's specified range if I do so!!!

There are still plenty of threads on the spring adjuster to lift or drop the car but I don't know what the consequences will be if I exceed the range. My front is lower than the rear by 15mm at the moment which is 10mm above my desired goal.

Do you think it will be fine to exceed the specified measurements?
My understanding is that raising the car higher than the recommended spring perch range results in too little rebound travel and potential premature damper wear.

https://www.bilstein.com/uk/en/blog/...tion-mistakes/

Bilstein says:
Quote:
the spring plate is set too high, the shock absorber goes into the rebound buffer and has too little rebound travel. There is a risk of the spring blocking. The result of incorrect spring plate height: less than ideal driving behaviour.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 10:19 AM   #10
Detoxified
Private
48
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: M2C HS
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfy View Post
I installed the B16's on my car last week and loved the handling of the kit but faced an issue regarding the ride height as well. My plan was to drop the front by 20mm and the rear by 15mm compared to the stock ride height to achieve a positive rake of 5mm between front and rear.

Before the installation, I read the instruction booklet carefully and noticed that Bilstein specifies a minimum and maximum measurement range for the front and rear spring adjusters of (175mm-190mm from the spring seat to the center of the pinch bolt for the front and 50-60mm from the adjustable spring plate till the spring seat for the rears).

So I respected this range and set my measurements to 190mm (highest setting) on the front and 50mm (lowest setting) on the rear. To my surprise, the front got lowered by 25mm and the rear dropped by 10mm compared to stock. So I want to lift the front by 5mm and drop the rear by 5mm to achieve my desired ride height but I will fall out of Bilstein's specified range if I do so!!!

There are still plenty of threads on the spring adjuster to lift or drop the car but I don't know what the consequences will be if I exceed the range. My front is lower than the rear by 15mm at the moment which is 10mm above my desired goal.

Do you think it will be fine to exceed the specified measurements?
Thanks for providing these pictures, I actually don't think I will go with Bilstein coilovers since I'd want the rear another 10mm or so lower than picture above and your at the lowest setting. I'll either have to commit to KW or stick with BC racing.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 01:56 AM   #11
Alfy
Enlisted Member
Alfy's Avatar
Lebanon
59
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: M2 Competition
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Lebanon

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverDaily View Post
My understanding is that raising the car higher than the recommended spring perch range results in too little rebound travel and potential premature damper wear.

https://www.bilstein.com/uk/en/blog/...tion-mistakes/

Bilstein says:
That will make me feel better to lower the rear by a little bit.

There are enough threads to the lower the car as much I want but that Bilstein lowering range doesn't make sense...
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 07:05 AM   #12
DriverDaily
Private First Class
98
Rep
115
Posts

Drives: M2 Competition
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfy View Post
That will make me feel better to lower the rear by a little bit.

There are enough threads to the lower the car as much I want but that Bilstein lowering range doesn't make sense...
The same goes for going lower than the recommended range: you might have issues with early damper wear, hitting the bump stops, and not enough travel.

I too was disappointed with the adjustability of the Bilstein s, but I am hoping to find a slightly thicker camber plate or spacer between the body and strut to let the front sit higher without going outside the recommended range.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 10:13 PM   #13
dvas
Lieutenant
dvas's Avatar
331
Rep
454
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Have had B16's on my '17 M2 since 2017. 18,000 miles and 50+ track days later, no issues. Much better control than stock and love the adjustability for track. Built like a tank.
Appreciate 2
      03-18-2020, 12:33 AM   #14
bioman
Private First Class
43
Rep
188
Posts

Drives: E30
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Socal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfy View Post
That will make me feel better to lower the rear by a little bit.

There are enough threads to the lower the car as much I want but that Bilstein lowering range doesn't make sense...
Did you end up adjusting? Howd it feel?

Im thinking of B16 for a 15mm/15mm drop.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 11:02 AM   #15
Alfy
Enlisted Member
Alfy's Avatar
Lebanon
59
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: M2 Competition
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Lebanon

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioman View Post
Did you end up adjusting? Howd it feel?

Im thinking of B16 for a 15mm/15mm drop.
I ended up lowering the rear by another 7mm and raising the front by 2mm to achieve a positive rake of 5mm and got the car realigned.

The car drives so much better compared to stock suspension, the body role has been significantly reduced without compromising ride comfort. The car basically feels like it's on rails and traction has also improved.

Regarding the ride height issue, I was comfortable exceeding the lowering range on the rear since I never put passengers in the rear so I basically have no added weight to stress the dampeners.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 06:07 AM   #16
bioman
Private First Class
43
Rep
188
Posts

Drives: E30
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Socal

iTrader: (0)

Do you think thered be much issue with a 15/15mm drop? Or even a 10/10mm drop? I cant go too low due to my area roads.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:38 PM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST