BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Why so people lower there ride height????

03-08-2020, 01:29 AM   #23
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

I had my 350z for almost 14 years and close to 100k miles. Unlike most of them out there, I never touched the suspension. I fixed the understeer that car naturally has by fitting 20mm wider tires up front. When I finally got rid of it, it still felt as good as new, suspension compressions and bumps would be dealt with with minimal bouncing, and everything still felt tight, with a ton of travel. I pounded that car around corners and even beat on it on gravel roads. There’s something to be said for not messing with a thing that isn’t broken.

That said, my lemons car has cut springs at all four corners, the absolute shittiest possible way to lower a car. We didn’t even bother to take the front springs off the car when we went in there and cut them. And you know what? It handles like a fucking dream. We probably have around 75 hours of track time on that setup. Sometimes shit just works.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      03-08-2020, 01:35 AM   #24
OGM2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 AW DCT MPS,N180 4Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post
I have a front splitter on the Z4 M and I think that car sits a lot lower than the M2C and have no issues yet.

M2 Competition front bumper is fine in stock form, winglets (which I bought but am selling) are a good tradeoff but I wanted to finish my front end with something different that is not carbon

Went for the AC Schnitzer front splitter, will paint bottom BSM and supports in white (AW car). Honestly, I think it looks quite neat, really doesn't have to be carbon fiber all the time

Well, since your going that route on AW then why not go all in lol.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Dav3948.50
      03-08-2020, 03:33 AM   #25
MRosth
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenGT View Post
I have 2020 M2C- The stance of the car- the way the car feels to me feels absolutely perfect.

Back in the day I used to have nothing but Japanese cars and the first thing I would always do was put on swift springs or Eibach Springs. G37 IPL- 350z NISMO. My Q50 Red Sport- RSR springs.

Yes the car would look cool lowered -but then I would end up ruining my chamber premature tire wear and after a while the car would feel bouncy after about 25k miles. Trying to understand why anyone would want to mess with the competition suspension on this car. Except for the fact that lowering the car lowers the center gravity point -makes it look nicer but does it really increase the overall handling of the limits that you're going to push the vehicle?

I'm not sure if anything changed on the year 2020 for the M2 competition. I know the car feels amazing and I know that there's an M performance Coils kit—but I'm trying to understand if spending an additional $3000 installed am I really going to see a benefits over a suspension has been tuned by engineers on the Nuremberg Ring in multiple test environments to get the car to feel absolutely perfect.

I was not able to find any post regarding MY20
Suspension VS the M- performance suspension.

If I was to lower the vehicle with a M performance suspension kit I would only lower it by 10mm.

Thanks!
Because it looks like a awd car on stock setup 😅

Have driven both the M2 LCI and M2C with standard and lowering springs and I prefer how it handles/feels with Eibach mounted.
Have done a wheel alignment after both installs of course to get the most out of the modification.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 03:44 AM   #26
wavyyyy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
2023 bmw m3 6mt  [0.00]
To amend my earlier post, I did it for aesthetics but I also enjoy how it rides on the KW V3s more than I did stock. The ride is more comfortable.
Appreciate 1
FrozenGT1116.50
      03-08-2020, 08:52 AM   #27
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spetsnazos View Post
You honestly just skipped like 30 variables in suspension design and decided to go with “lower == better”.

This cars suspension was specifically designed for a certain ride height. Yeah physics...the kind of stuff the doesn’t do make broad stroke assessments excluding 30 variables. I think you’re thinking of something more divine...
Most manufacturers design their sports cars to have the suspension lower, they just raise it for public roads. Go have a look at the factory lowering springs from Audi, BMW, Porsche, etc, and tell me that they don't make the car handle better with just a slight decrease in ride height AND no other suspension adjustments.
Appreciate 1
FrozenGT1116.50
      03-08-2020, 09:30 AM   #28
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
On the M2, I ran stock.

On the M2C, I installed the MPC prior to delivery.

The MPC is amazing. Though even at recommended settings it too low and scrapes the black brake mud flaps which is annoying. I plan to raise the at least 1/2"
Are you running a splitter with your MPC?

My MPC kit has been collecting dust for over 5 months now and I'm feeling forced to sell them now that I'm going for a front splitter

I still want to be able to drive anywhere, steep ramps and bumps no exception
I plan to buy one and why I want to raise the height by~5cm. Also why I plan to install M2C spoiler and not M2CS spoiler; from pictures the M2CS spoiler looks like it sticks out further. I also bought the Sliplo stuff.

Unless you go back to full stock ride height or may be a few cm down you cannot drive without a care even swells in the road (when going uphill) can bite you. I also cannot visit my mom and drive up the driveway anymore. No problems a few times but then caught under the bumper once.

I don't know how these guys slam their cars, it's nerve racking driving around. Luckily the brake mud flap thingys hit first. Some board members told me that you need to learn how to drive with a lowered car but when pushed they all admit to scraping. Dealer tech who installed my MPS told me he's seen many M3/M4s who rip off the brake mud flap things.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 09:36 AM   #29
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Oh and the car does settle. These are picks from a few minutes ago with car sitting in garage all winter. I don't even think I can do 255/275 like I did on stock M2 w/o rubbing though people say I can.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 09:41 AM   #30
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Most manufacturers design their sports cars to have the suspension lower, they just raise it for public roads. Go have a look at the factory lowering springs from Audi, BMW, Porsche, etc, and tell me that they don't make the car handle better with just a slight decrease in ride height AND no other suspension adjustments.
I cant comment on Audi, but neither BMW nor Porsche sell lowering springs for their cars. BMW has a HAS kit which has revised bump stops and spring rates.

Springs generally don't make your car handle better for a couple reasons -

1. The spring rates are higher than the dampers are valved for, which means the dampers struggle to control movement particularly on rebound. This creates a 'bouncy' feeling.
2. They reduce the shock travel before you hit the bump stops, which effectively massively increases the spring rate. When the shock bottoms out that energy is transferred back through the chassis reducing grip. Suspension travel is key to handling road undulations.

I have never seen any evidence of lowering springs improving a well setup car (i.e. an M car). If you want to put springs on for aesthetics go for it, but saying that manufacturers design their cars to be lowered on springs doesn't make sense.
Appreciate 1
FrozenGT1116.50
      03-08-2020, 10:13 AM   #31
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i - Lexus NX300 F

Quote:
Oh and the car does settle. These are picks from a few minutes ago with car sitting in garage all winter. I don't even think I can do 255/275 like I did on stock M2 w/o rubbing though people say I can.
Quote:

Is this stock or Coils or springs?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 10:18 AM   #32
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenGT View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Is this stock or Coils or springs?
BMW MPC
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 12:32 PM   #33
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
I cant comment on Audi, but neither BMW nor Porsche sell lowering springs for their cars. BMW has a HAS kit which has revised bump stops and spring rates.

Springs generally don't make your car handle better for a couple reasons -

1. The spring rates are higher than the dampers are valved for, which means the dampers struggle to control movement particularly on rebound. This creates a 'bouncy' feeling.
2. They reduce the shock travel before you hit the bump stops, which effectively massively increases the spring rate. When the shock bottoms out that energy is transferred back through the chassis reducing grip. Suspension travel is key to handling road undulations.

I have never seen any evidence of lowering springs improving a well setup car (i.e. an M car). If you want to put springs on for aesthetics go for it, but saying that manufacturers design their cars to be lowered on springs doesn't make sense.
The shocks/struts on all these cars are $8 each from the manufacturer, and are made to work within a specific range. Outside that range things can certainly get bouncy, but 10mm isn't going to do that, nor will it destroy the shock/strut prematurely.

What you're referring to is aftermarket companies that try to lower a stock car by an inch or more, and in doing so you'll get that bouncy feeling, and destroy the suspension.

Look at the many in-house manufacturers spring/damper specs, and notice how little difference there is between them and the stock car, yet they make the car handle better. This is because, with suspension, less is usually more.

Merely lowering ANY M car by 10mm will make it handle better, end of story. Of course, it'd take a professional to see that difference.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 04:25 PM   #34
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

If you're happy with the stock setup that's great and you don't need to spend a dime.

If you're just looking for aesthetics than go with a HAS kit over lowering springs. With a HAS kit you'll get the added benefit of height adjustability and the spring rates are better tuned to work with the stock suspension. Yes it cost a bit more than just springs, but it's worth it.

If you're looking to increase the cars performance while also getting the benefit of height adjustment for aesthetics get a proper set of coilovers. This option cost the most, but like almost anything in life you get what you pay for.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2020, 04:38 PM   #35
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Or you can get a driveway like mine and then you'll never lower your car unless you want to park on the street. Makes it easy to not worry about the ride height.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2020, 05:33 PM   #36
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I'd rather put 3K into new wheels. I'm in the minority but I'll say it anyway. Lowering is a waste of lettuce. Unless you live in Cal, Fla or NY where it seems to be mandatory.

Appreciate 1
bri10425893.50
      03-08-2020, 06:11 PM   #37
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Lettuce. Hah!
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2020, 06:16 PM   #38
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Quote:
I plan to buy one and why I want to raise the height by~5cm. Also why I plan to install M2C spoiler and not M2CS spoiler; from pictures the M2CS spoiler looks like it sticks out further. I also bought the Sliplo stuff.

Unless you go back to full stock ride height or may be a few cm down you cannot drive without a care even swells in the road (when going uphill) can bite you. I also cannot visit my mom and drive up the driveway anymore. No problems a few times but then caught under the bumper once.

I don't know how these guys slam their cars, it's nerve racking driving around. Luckily the brake mud flap thingys hit first. Some board members told me that you need to learn how to drive with a lowered car but when pushed they all admit to scraping. Dealer tech who installed my MPS told me he's seen many M3/M4s who rip off the brake mud flap things.
I live in a mountainous area with speed bumps and steep slopes, you're really pushing me towards selling them right now haha

But to be fair, for some reason I also don't think the M2C with the new wheels type (at least in AW) really looks better with a drop. Drop with 437m on OG M2 in BSM looked a lot better and felt a lot more necessary to me back then. Perhaps I'm just finding any reason to sell them at this stage, idk

I also have no clue how slammed cars are a thing. Maybe on a track or if you're going to showcase your car, but for regular public road use... It feels like you're placing a handicap on your car, so more of a downgrade than an upgrade. Friend of mine many years ago had a slammed e92 335i and I really noticed the struggle.

At the expense of sounding stupid, does it make sense to install coilovers without lowering car height? Seeing as I've never even see someone do this
Appreciate 1
FrozenGT1116.50
      03-08-2020, 07:42 PM   #39
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

Quote:
The shocks/struts on all these cars are $8 each from the manufacturer, and are made to work within a specific range. Outside that range things can certainly get bouncy, but 10mm isn't going to do that, nor will it destroy the shock/strut prematurely.

What you're referring to is aftermarket companies that try to lower a stock car by an inch or more, and in doing so you'll get that bouncy feeling, and destroy the suspension.

Look at the many in-house manufacturers spring/damper specs, and notice how little difference there is between them and the stock car, yet they make the car handle better. This is because, with suspension, less is usually more.

Merely lowering ANY M car by 10mm will make it handle better, end of story. Of course, it'd take a professional to see that difference.
Your post is all over the place and makes no sense..

Define 'better' handling? Lowering springs alone certainly won't have any effect on lap times. If you have any evidence happy to be persuaded otherwise.

You don't appear to have a very nuanced understanding of suspension dynamics if you think lowering any M car 10mm with lowering springs will improve the handling. If you had managed to cobble together an argument around lowering the center of gravity your post may of had some merit.

But by all means, put some stiff springs on, declare your car handles like a go cart and be happy with it.
Appreciate 1
Davil6485.50
      03-08-2020, 08:23 PM   #40
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
Your post is all over the place and makes no sense..blad ditty blah blah blah...
Fixed that for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 08:45 PM   #41
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
Lettuce. Hah!
Yep, that is what us rednecks call it
Appreciate 1
bri10425893.50
      03-08-2020, 09:25 PM   #42
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav3 View Post
i also have no clue how slammed cars are a thing. Maybe on a track or if you're going to showcase your car, but for regular public road use... It feels like you're placing a handicap on your car, so more of a downgrade than an upgrade. Friend of mine many years ago had a slammed e92 335i and i really noticed the struggle.
Name:  Stance_Galore.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  210.8 KB
Dav3948.50
      03-09-2020, 08:01 PM   #43
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
Though with the M2 that will have the rear shocks almost resting on the bumpstops (info I learnt from a guy who tarmac rallies his M2C & has gone to custom coilovers). Can't see how handling would be improved?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 01:13 AM   #44
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
Though with the M2 that will have the rear shocks almost resting on the bumpstops (info I learnt from a guy who tarmac rallies his M2C & has gone to custom coilovers). Can't see how handling would be improved?
This is very interesting indeed... but also surprising. The spring sits inboard of the damper (and bump-stop) on the M2 and most other cars, which would suggest that it compresses less than damper. If the damper is already on the bump-stop at rest before lowering, the springs will be doing almost nothing. The bump-stops on modern cars are designed to be somewhat progressive, and a bit like a spring in themselves, but it doesn't seem right to be driving around on the stops.

RealOEM shows that the M2 has the same shorter bump stops as the M3 and M4, but different springs and shocks. If what you're saying is true, there really isn't any valid reason to fit lowering springs on the rear without addressing the bump-stop issue.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0