BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > My New M Performance Exhaust Review.

06-26-2017, 03:26 AM   #23
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by krizze View Post
i'm just at my local anti radar place and i noticed this the 2017 the New M Performance exhaust is it part titanium? i am no expert at being able to tell this.

if i am right then get in looks like the paper wasn't lying when they said titanium! the 2016 M Performance exhaust wasn't titanium!
Is it me or does there appear to be a hole in the middle of the muffler with carbon crap leaking out?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 08:24 AM   #24
Gimmethecash
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

Pretty sure that's a drain hole for condensation.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 10:14 PM   #25
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

Mine doesn't have that hole on the bottom. Solid all the way around.

Was that one punctured somehow?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 04:03 AM   #26
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 -Skoda Octavia VRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ried View Post
Mine doesn't have that hole on the bottom. Solid all the way around.

Was that one punctured somehow?
i have the update M performance exhaust, i am finding out now what the hole is for.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 03:26 PM   #27
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmethecash View Post
Pretty sure that's a drain hole for condensation.
You are right sir.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 02:52 AM   #28
Benef1cient
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Good they updated it, guys on 2er forum were laughing that after some time you're hauling an aquarium in the in the back of the car because the water can't escape
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 01:10 AM   #29
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

Keep telling yourselves that, guys...

That hole isn't made by the factory. It's been damaged, and that carbon leaking out looks like ass.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 05:08 AM   #30
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ried View Post
Keep telling yourselves that, guys...

That hole isn't made by the factory. It's been damaged, and that carbon leaking out looks like ass.
Well it is made by the factory.... the new EU regulations mean they changed the exhaust in Europe added the red button due to sound regulations and also added a hole so the condensation wouldn't build up in the back box therefore making sure it wouldn't end up filling like a fishtank, this is the info a BMW engineer shared with me over the phone from Munich...

but obviously you know more, so yeah absolutely someone just got really jealous and smashed a screwdriver into my backbox and made a perfect hole while i wasn't looking
Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      07-01-2017, 06:38 AM   #31
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

krizze is right!

Can confirm the hole
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
krizze928.00
      02-02-2018, 05:05 PM   #32
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_lzn View Post
Well, yes. Probably. But it feels very different than at the beginning, there is no resonance/sound vibrations anymore. It is just louder around the 3K mark. No big deal for me where the previous sensation was straight terrible.
Got my MPE yesterday.

The 3k "drone" noise at mid throttle is very annoying. I thought it was ASD. Coded off ASD, and its still there. Not as loud as w ASD on but still there.

Is this noise an install issue? Or just a design flaw by BMW?

I wanted to first clarify if its something I can take to the dealer to fix. Or if its just a poor design.

Thanks.

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 06:09 PM   #33
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

The MPE deleted the mid pipe resonator so.......
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 07:15 PM   #34
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 & 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Sorry to ask whats probably a stupid question but planning to pick up an M performance exhaust soon and am a bit confused, feel free to link to a thread if this has been covered.

So What does the red trunk button do vs the bluetooth button that goes inside the cabin? Ive heard some people talk about just unplugging the valve to leave it in always on mode, hard to do?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 04:18 AM   #35
krizze
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirmaher View Post
Sorry to ask whats probably a stupid question but planning to pick up an M performance exhaust soon and am a bit confused, feel free to link to a thread if this has been covered.

So What does the red trunk button do vs the bluetooth button that goes inside the cabin? Ive heard some people talk about just unplugging the valve to leave it in always on mode, hard to do?

Thanks in advance!
due to regulations, the red button in the boot has to be pressed first for the bluetooth remote to work, you can either do it your way, or find a thread where you can do the bypass, basically getting a wire into a U shape and sticking it from one side of the module into the other, tricking the red button to staying on at all times so therefore bypassing the red button, this is what i have done and i have had no issues
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 04:32 AM   #36
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 & 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by abirmaher View Post

Thanks in advance!
due to regulations, the red button in the boot has to be pressed first for the bluetooth remote to work, you can either do it your way, or find a thread where you can do the bypass, basically getting a wire into a U shape and sticking it from one side of the module into the other, tricking the red button to staying on at all times so therefore bypassing the red button, this is what i have done and i have had no issues
Awesome. Thanks the the clear explanation. I'll wonder no longer!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 09:52 PM   #37
808F90
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F90

Quote:
Dear All,

just wanted to give a little bit of feedback, yesterday i collected my M2 from the dealership where they fitted the M Performance exhaust, the new one be it updated version which they claim have fixed the rattles and drones and also with the new added red button in the boot.

with regards to the button, its actually not that much of a pain, you don't actually have to start the car, you simple press the start button to turn on the ignition then go put your stuff into the boot and while you're there you press the red button and you can open the flaps for the cold start with the flaps which brings me back to my next point, ITS SO LOUD! like i can't actually drive with the flaps closed anymore.... everywhere i drove it people were staring because it literally sounds like doomsday is coming . i pulled up at my friends house and revved it in neutral and people around his house were opening windows and checking what on earth is going on , the biggest ironie is the dealer said '' i am supposed to tell you that you are not to use track mode in towns and built up areas only on track''. so i simple replied '' don't worry you have my word ''.

With regards to the flaps closed its actually really quiet and pleasant with the flaps closed i was cruising on the motorway and it was as before without a problem, i love the versatility of the Bluetooth button and the look of the unit too, the tips are huge and the carbon ones especially with the carbon diffusor bring out my carbon ducktail even more.

Now to price and performance, well as we know it provides no performance upgrade and it is expensive but put it this way i would never ever drive this car without this exhaust, its completely changed the experience, it feels faster, feels like it has more road presence then it already did not that it needed more, feels like the car is now a complete package and i mean the range of noises the exhaust makes from pops to bangs to crackles to whips, i think my favourite part has to be when there is a crazy bang when you least expect it and you just start laughing to yourself like a child, i mean this thing could cure depression. ( Also in my opinion at least in Sport + with the flaps open at idle if you slightly rev it to say 2000 rpm that deep rumble in with the turbo noise literally sounds like 2012 and is one of my favourite exhaust notes to date )

Ok i mean don't get me wrong the stock system is absolutely fantastic but now when i put it into sport plus WITHOUT opening the flaps i literally think like really is that all? the track mode really makes the car come alive and adds to the experience as a whole, to anyone who is thinking of getting an aftermarket exhaust don't think twice, i'm not going to tell you this one is the best out there i have only heard the Akrapovic one and my own but i can put my had on my heart and safely say i have 0 regrets and i am absolutely over the moon that i got this system and can report no faults or weird sounds or rattles as of yet, i do believe BMW have fixed the previous issues now with this new system.

Public reaction, whilst we don't like to admit it, we wouldn't be driving M cars if we didn't like the attention would we... with this exhaust people hear me coming from a mile away and you can always see people already looking in my direction with the look on they're face that says '' What the F is that '',
and it literally makes people smile and women love it, because for me its hard not to smile when you hear the noises and see others smiling at you and then others encouraging you to floor it .

to summarise, its a fantastic system, yes expensive, but if you want an unforgettable experience then its a no brainer.

thanks

Kris.
Quote:
Dear All,

just wanted to give a little bit of feedback, yesterday i collected my M2 from the dealership where they fitted the M Performance exhaust, the new one be it updated version which they claim have fixed the rattles and drones and also with the new added red button in the boot.

with regards to the button, its actually not that much of a pain, you don't actually have to start the car, you simple press the start button to turn on the ignition then go put your stuff into the boot and while you're there you press the red button and you can open the flaps for the cold start with the flaps which brings me back to my next point, ITS SO LOUD! like i can't actually drive with the flaps closed anymore.... everywhere i drove it people were staring because it literally sounds like doomsday is coming . i pulled up at my friends house and revved it in neutral and people around his house were opening windows and checking what on earth is going on , the biggest ironie is the dealer said '' i am supposed to tell you that you are not to use track mode in towns and built up areas only on track''. so i simple replied '' don't worry you have my word ''.

With regards to the flaps closed its actually really quiet and pleasant with the flaps closed i was cruising on the motorway and it was as before without a problem, i love the versatility of the Bluetooth button and the look of the unit too, the tips are huge and the carbon ones especially with the carbon diffusor bring out my carbon ducktail even more.

Now to price and performance, well as we know it provides no performance upgrade and it is expensive but put it this way i would never ever drive this car without this exhaust, its completely changed the experience, it feels faster, feels like it has more road presence then it already did not that it needed more, feels like the car is now a complete package and i mean the range of noises the exhaust makes from pops to bangs to crackles to whips, i think my favourite part has to be when there is a crazy bang when you least expect it and you just start laughing to yourself like a child, i mean this thing could cure depression. ( Also in my opinion at least in Sport + with the flaps open at idle if you slightly rev it to say 2000 rpm that deep rumble in with the turbo noise literally sounds like 2012 and is one of my favourite exhaust notes to date )

Ok i mean don't get me wrong the stock system is absolutely fantastic but now when i put it into sport plus WITHOUT opening the flaps i literally think like really is that all? the track mode really makes the car come alive and adds to the experience as a whole, to anyone who is thinking of getting an aftermarket exhaust don't think twice, i'm not going to tell you this one is the best out there i have only heard the Akrapovic one and my own but i can put my had on my heart and safely say i have 0 regrets and i am absolutely over the moon that i got this system and can report no faults or weird sounds or rattles as of yet, i do believe BMW have fixed the previous issues now with this new system.

Public reaction, whilst we don't like to admit it, we wouldn't be driving M cars if we didn't like the attention would we... with this exhaust people hear me coming from a mile away and you can always see people already looking in my direction with the look on they're face that says '' What the F is that '',
and it literally makes people smile and women love it, because for me its hard not to smile when you hear the noises and see others smiling at you and then others encouraging you to floor it .

to summarise, its a fantastic system, yes expensive, but if you want an unforgettable experience then its a no brainer.

thanks

Kris.
Thank you for the insight. I can't wait to get mine!! You made my day with this post!!
      03-04-2020, 07:11 PM   #38
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

The drone goes away after some time, dont worry, or maybe it has to do with the dinan tune, idk.

Im in Canada and my mpe also has that lil hole at the bottom, i seen water drops dripping out after some spirited driving, so the condensation explanation makes sense.

The mpe is the best sounding exhaust for the OG!
Appreciate 1
krizze928.00
      03-04-2020, 08:51 PM   #39
808F90
No_Country
Rep

I thought this was for the M2 Competition. You know how much difference it is from the two?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 09:01 PM   #40
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808M2Comp View Post
I thought this was for the M2 Competition. You know how much difference it is from the two?
They seem to be built very similar except the dual pipe. It will always sound more raspy than N55 because of the twin turbos.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 09:29 PM   #41
808F90
No_Country
Rep

Thank You!
Appreciate 0