BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Warning - Dealer unwilling to change oil?!?

04-26-2019, 06:19 AM   #1
Stu2k2
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Warning - Dealer unwilling to change oil?!?

Last fall I knew I would taking the car on a long road trip and would likely exceed the 10k for the oil change, so I had a local and reputable shop change the oil. Figured I would save the dealer oil change until spring when it comes out of storage.

Fast forward to yesterday. I'm picking up my car from the dealership, and reading the paperwork. I came in for an oil change, and they returned it without changing the oil?!? Condition Based Maintenance not met.

Talk to the service manager, and as a result of resetting the oil change interval BMW won't reimburse the dealership for my oil change.

I explained (again) that I had a different shop change the oil due to my needs, and that I am due an oil change per the service agreement. He said he contact one of his engineers(?) and see what they could do, but it was unlikely...

Anyone heard of this? It seems completely insane to me. There is no record in BMW's system of me getting an extra oil change. I have more than 10k on the car, so it's not an argument regarding the annual oil change standard.

Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Might this need to be a warning to those out there resetting their service interval for more frequent oil changes?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 06:28 AM   #2
RichBunch2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4GTS

That is their policy. Was talking to the service manager while waiting on my car about how BMW works the maintenance plans
I stopped resetting the computer when I changed my oil because I change it more frequently than prescribed.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 01:25 PM   #3
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Just don't reset the computer when you do your own oil change. Everything is Condition Based Maintenance now, unlike the old days. BMW have their protocols, and have to follow them. I always do an in-between oil change, and don't reset the computer. BMW is none the wiser. The interesting thing is, the CBM still shows I need an oil change ~10k miles, which makes you wonder what the CBM is really monitoring... certainly not the condition of the oil...
Appreciate 2
ried791.50
      05-02-2019, 11:13 AM   #4
Msmall143
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
Just don't reset the computer when you do your own oil change. Everything is Condition Based Maintenance now, unlike the old days. BMW have their protocols, and have to follow them. I always do an in-between oil change, and don't reset the computer. BMW is none the wiser. The interesting thing is, the CBM still shows I need an oil change ~10k miles, which makes you wonder what the CBM is really monitoring... certainly not the condition of the oil...
time
Appreciate 2
AndrewC198910903.50
ried791.50
      05-02-2019, 05:46 PM   #5
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu2k2 View Post
Last fall I knew I would taking the car on a long road trip and would likely exceed the 10k for the oil change, so I had a local and reputable shop change the oil. Figured I would save the dealer oil change until spring when it comes out of storage.

Fast forward to yesterday. I'm picking up my car from the dealership, and reading the paperwork. I came in for an oil change, and they returned it without changing the oil?!? Condition Based Maintenance not met.

Talk to the service manager, and as a result of resetting the oil change interval BMW won't reimburse the dealership for my oil change.

I explained (again) that I had a different shop change the oil due to my needs, and that I am due an oil change per the service agreement. He said he contact one of his engineers(?) and see what they could do, but it was unlikely...

Anyone heard of this? It seems completely insane to me. There is no record in BMW's system of me getting an extra oil change. I have more than 10k on the car, so it's not an argument regarding the annual oil change standard.

Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Might this need to be a warning to those out there resetting their service interval for more frequent oil changes?
Yeah I wouldn't think of it as "I get 3 or 4 free oil changes" but more that they will change the oil when needed based on the computer's recommendation. If you do it elsewhere and the CBS is reset, you are unfortunately giving up that free oil change. I get where you are coming from, but this is how it works.

I change my oil in between BMW's recommended service.

BMW - 1200 Miles
Me - 5000 Miles (don't reset CBS)
BMW - 10000 Miles
Me - 15000 Miles (don't reset CBS)
etc...
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 02:45 PM   #6
rocketman99
Lurker
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C, '24 X1 M35

Also don't forget that regardless of the mileage on the CBS, the dealer will also change the oil once per year under the maintenance plan, as should you if you're not driving enough to trigger personal/CBS mileage guidelines.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 03:35 PM   #7
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

In Yoorup, the service intervals are 24 months...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 07:08 AM   #8
CTSean
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LCI BSM MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman99 View Post
Also don't forget that regardless of the mileage on the CBS, the dealer will also change the oil once per year under the maintenance plan, as should you if you're not driving enough to trigger personal/CBS mileage guidelines.
Age is part of CBS so it will tell you to change oil at 10k or 1 year, whatever comes first.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 07:47 AM   #9
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
I believe CBS is more than mileage and time and may include things like driving style, RPM, etc. I have had mine go off sooner than 10K and to that point BMW will also change the oil more often if the CBS tells them.

There is also a window, which I believe is ~1,500 miles or so, meaning you can schedule the oil change sooner if the car is within that window.

One last item, CBS items are allowed to be bundled together. Recently (April), I was in for a CBS oil change and the CBS showed my brake flush due in August. The Service Advisor asked if I wanted that done too. I ask, if that was allowed--meaning would I have to pay for it--since it was way out of the window mentioned above. They said that they are allowed to bundle items that are close together. Guess, it helps keep costs down like repeat visits, loaners, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 07:56 AM   #10
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Who cares about the dealer. Change the oil yourself when needed. I only go to tdealer if there is something under warranty, or a recall.

The rest I can do better myself.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 11:00 PM   #11
Stu2k2
Rep

Okay, so a couple things on this topic.

The 1 year interval is gone on 2018's...

I change my oil on my own normally after 2 track days and don't reset the OCI. But... I was having some other work done and asked the shop doing the work to change the oil.

I was most frustrated by the dealer's lack of clarity, as I setup the appointment for an oil change and an exhaust rattle. They didn't mention the oil wasn't changed. I caught it when I picked the car up (after being there for 4 days waiting on a warranty part). If they had asked, I would have protested, but likely would have paid for an oil change due to my schedule.

I don't begrudge the dealer over following corporate policy. I'm just saying the policy is asinine... They can tell if the oil has been changed by a BMW dealer, and this is just a scam to prevent BMW from having to perform service that is supposedly included in the maintenance plan.

The independent shop is going to hook me up with an oil change after having a talk with their manager.

-rant over-
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 04:07 PM   #12
BGR
Captain
Rep
Drives: C7 GS 7MT; e90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu2k2 View Post
Okay, so a couple things on this topic.

The 1 year interval is gone on 2018's...

I change my oil on my own normally after 2 track days and don't reset the OCI. But... I was having some other work done and asked the shop doing the work to change the oil.

I was most frustrated by the dealer's lack of clarity, as I setup the appointment for an oil change and an exhaust rattle. They didn't mention the oil wasn't changed. I caught it when I picked the car up (after being there for 4 days waiting on a warranty part). If they had asked, I would have protested, but likely would have paid for an oil change due to my schedule.

I don't begrudge the dealer over following corporate policy. I'm just saying the policy is asinine... They can tell if the oil has been changed by a BMW dealer, and this is just a scam to prevent BMW from having to perform service that is supposedly included in the maintenance plan.

The independent shop is going to hook me up with an oil change after having a talk with their manager.

-rant over-
Yeah, I'd be annoyed that my service advisor didn't call me to at least let me know the car didn't qualify for an oil change. $150 to have them do it when my time is more valuable is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 04:32 PM   #13
c_w
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
interesting thing is, the CBM still shows I need an oil change ~10k miles, which makes you wonder what the CBM is really monitoring... certainly not the condition of the oil...
Its not got its own oil lab under the bonnet, it has no idea about the oil so the computer goes off time and/or duration and type of journey/how the car is driven.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2019, 09:06 PM   #14
Stu2k2
Rep

I changed it myself, and sent it out for analysis. Best results so far!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 01:26 PM   #15
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_w View Post
Its not got its own oil lab under the bonnet, it has no idea about the oil so the computer goes off time and/or duration and type of journey/how the car is driven.
Ah? Every time I top up the oil on the E46 it extends the miles to go to service indicator...
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 08:50 AM   #16
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Ah? Every time I top up the oil on the E46 it extends the miles to go to service indicator...
M50,

I saw the same with my e46 330i, which had old-school oil level sensor - in addition to manual dipstick - in the sump, same as your e46 M3.

Service interval indicator was simpler back then, oil being linked to sump oil level and mileage since last reset. When you top up the oil, signal from level sensor would change hence extending the miles to go on the service indicator.

BP
      01-29-2020, 01:55 PM   #17
garrito_burrito_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB

Had a similar issue. Car had just gone passed the 36K mark so it was out of the maintenance plan so I would be paying for it anyway. I scheduled a service and I expressed to the advisor that I was planning on going to the track (would be the 2nd track day on the same service interval). He refused to do it, said, go have fun at the track. I miss my old service advisor who was always so nice and accomodating.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 12:59 PM   #18
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrito_burrito_ View Post
Had a similar issue. Car had just gone passed the 36K mark so it was out of the maintenance plan so I would be paying for it anyway. I scheduled a service and I expressed to the advisor that I was planning on going to the track (would be the 2nd track day on the same service interval). He refused to do it, said, go have fun at the track. I miss my old service advisor who was always so nice and accomodating.
Wait a minute...the SA refused to change the oil on YOUR car even though you would pay for it???? That is crazy...
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 09:57 PM   #19
Mdkcrf250r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Oil change is 10k miles or once a year. 2020 M2. I’m a former Bmw service advisor.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 05:52 AM   #20
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

I know this random "guy" that uses ISTA+ to alter his oil change intervals, in the CBS, so he gets an oil change done anything he feels it's needed, under the maintenance plan.

Of course, that might be perceived as unethical but this hypothetical "guy" is a realist and do what he gotta do, to level the playing field..
Appreciate 1
arciga181726.00
      04-26-2020, 08:22 AM   #21
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
BMW oil changes are typically a value service and not very expensive.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 12:30 PM   #22
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I know this random "guy" that uses ISTA+ to alter his oil change intervals, in the CBS, so he gets an oil change done anything he feels it's needed, under the maintenance plan.

Of course, that might be perceived as unethical but this hypothetical "guy" is a realist and do what he gotta do, to level the playing field..
One time I heard a story of the guy that just changed the date on the I drive . Then changed it back after the key learned what was going on. Lol.
Appreciate 0