BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Coding Off Eyes + Brows w/Low Beam

09-06-2019, 01:06 AM   #1
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Coding Off Eyes + Brows w/Low Beam

(No idea if this works with LCI cars)

If anyone's interested in running their low beams without the eye brows and/or angel eyes:

Bimmercode > FEM > Expert Mode

Eyebrows:

Mapping_Designl_L_Output: 0X00

Mapping_Designl_R_Output: 0X00

Angel Eyes:

Mapping_Standl_V_L_Output: 0X00

Mapping_Standl_V_R_Output: 0X00

(Note: remember the default setting is tms_leuchtring [output: 30 left/ 31 right] if you ever want to change them back)

Result:

Side note:

Unfortunately there are some side effects

1. The eyebrows no longer turn on with the welcome lighting. I tried to set the design light setting (in easy mode) to hard or soft on but neither does anything. Only the angel eyes turn on with the welcome lights set to DRL.

2. The angel eyes and eye brows no longer turn on if the car is completely shut off and the light switch is on the parking light setting. Only the rear lights turn on.

3. The parking light brightness (when the car is running or in accessory mode) cannot be set independent of DRL brightness. I'm not sure if this is related to the coding or if it was always like that but either way I just noticed it.

All in all I think this is a cool and unique mod to play with and some of you may like it as much as I do.

Once again, big thanks to Poochie for his help.

Last edited by AndrewC1989; 02-01-2020 at 10:26 PM..
Appreciate 4
///M Houbi1653.00
Poochie9103.00
yhwang31.50
      09-06-2019, 04:22 AM   #2
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

This mod is nice, clean look but I would hate to sacrifice losing my Welcome Light, Angel Eyes and my LED brow..

I remember I waited 3 months without a car, just to be able to order the then LCI 135i with the new "eyebrows" above the projectors. It added a nice flair to the front headlights, as see on the 1M. It's the little things

Angel Eyes is just so BMW, even though every auto manufacture started biting the clout of the styling and incorporating their own. It's the last of its kind with a signature styling and also one of the last vehicle with Xenon headlights.

Nerd trivia; BMW pioneered the "Angel Eyes" design and the 1991 750il was the very first production car in history to use Xenon discharge headlights. It was considered innovative automotive technology, at the time, according the archives of reviews.

The Pre-LCI M2, having one of the last cars with Xenon headlights, from the company that started it, is kind of nostalgic. Or that's how I justify not spending 5k on some LCI LED headlights...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910910.50
      09-06-2019, 07:39 AM   #3
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
This mod is nice, clean look but I would hate to sacrifice losing my Welcome Light, Angel Eyes and my LED brow..

I remember I waited 3 months without a car, just to be able to order the then LCI 135i with the new "eyebrows" above the projectors. It added a nice flair to the front headlights, as see on the 1M. It's the little things

Angel Eyes is just so BMW, even though every auto manufacture started biting the clout of the styling and incorporating their own. It's the last of its kind with a signature styling and also one of the last vehicle with Xenon headlights.

Nerd trivia; BMW pioneered the "Angel Eyes" design and the 1991 750il was the very first production car in history to use Xenon discharge headlights. It was considered innovative automotive technology, at the time, according the archives of reviews.

The Pre-LCI M2, having one of the last cars with Xenon headlights, from the company that started it, is kind of nostalgic. Or that's how I justify not spending 5k on some LCI LED headlights...
(I love nerd trivia, lol)

I agree that the angel eyes/brows are now a signature bmw look, I think that I just can't help always having a case of "the grass is always greener" when it comes to cars (I have a tendency to want what I don't have). When I had my E46 M3 years ago I paid to add angel eyes. Now that I have a car that came with them It's kind of ironic I'm coding them off . I think it's just about wanting to stand out and look different and unique.

Oddly enough my angel eyes still function as welcome lights, only the brow is gone. That doesn't really bother me a lot, I'm more upset about the front parking lights not functioning. I really enjoy being able to turn the eyes and brows on with the light switch when the car is off as I do photo shoots from time to time and like to turn those lights on without having the car running. Sucks I can't do that anymore.

Still haven't decided if I will be leaving it as is or coding it back to the way it was but I will definitely be trying it out for a little.
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2020, 09:13 PM   #4
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Poochie

Played around with this some more and noticed that if I turned the eyebrows back on to function as normal and only left the angel eyes to be off with the low beams that:

1. The welcome lighting functions as normal. Both the eyebrows and angel eyes turn on when you unlock the car. Both work in the hard and soft on positions as well.

2. The eyebrows will now function as the front parking lights if you leave the car parked with the parking light switch setting in place.

3. If you press the front fog switch, all 3 parts (low beams, eyes, brows) are on at once.

This effectively solves the first two side effects that I mentioned in the first post. Doesn't look half bad either in my opinion, but of course, that's personal taste. I'll be leaving it like this for now I think.

Front parking lights active (when parked with engine off):

Low beams:

Front fogs:

Appreciate 2
Poochie9103.00
      06-27-2021, 03:36 AM   #5
jacky_4eva
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F34

do you know how to code the eyebrow brightness? because my eyebrow just like 10% brightness
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 05:33 AM   #6
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacky_4eva View Post
do you know how to code the eyebrow brightness? because my eyebrow just like 10% brightness
I don't, sorry. Might not be possible. I ended up just shutting mine off and running the angel eyes by themselves.

07-06-2021, 02:52 PM   #7
bngcruiser
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '89 Land Cruiser, '18 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC1989 View Post
I don't, sorry. Might not be possible. I ended up just shutting mine off and running the angel eyes by themselves.

I would love to know how to do this.
      07-06-2021, 02:56 PM   #8
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Well, it is different. But does it look better? Totally subjective, but to my eyes, "hell no". Seems like another case of different=better, just because different. I suspect anyone making this change will revert back to stock sooner than later.
      07-06-2021, 03:57 PM   #9
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bngcruiser View Post
I would love to know how to do this.
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1712791

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Well, it is different. But does it look better? Totally subjective, but to my eyes, "hell no". Seems like another case of different=better, just because different. I suspect anyone making this change will revert back to stock sooner than later.
Different strokes for different folks. I personally think turning just the eyebrows off looks great. Makes the car look more like an LCI with the non-adaptive LEDs. Also looks much better if you've turned the angel eye brightness up. The eyebrows aren't as bright and it causes a mismatched look.
Appreciate 1