BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Replacement of Rain/Light Sensor

12-19-2019, 01:17 PM   #1
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

I recently was moseying along the expressway behind a 18-wheeler truck, which kicked up a rock, that collided with my windshield, cracking it {Pause for obscenities}..

Anyways, I'm about to purchase a new OEM windshield, however, word on the street is I also have to replace the rain/light sensor, which the dealer didn't give a proper explanation to why this is. It's just a sensor, it shouldn't be expendable unless it's deemed defective.

The only reason I could see for them wanting to replace the sensor is it attaches to windshield via an adhesive, so I'm assuming they don't want to risk it delaminating from some third-party adhesive.

Anyone else here ever had to replace a windshield and reused the same rain/light sensor or am I really require to purchase a new one?

I'm paying out-of-pocket so I would like the reduce the overall cost but not if it's going to become an issue in the future.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 01:51 PM   #2
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Damn that sucks.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1254384

That's a pretty detailed thread. The place this guy went to didn't have to replace the sensor. It's in West Chester, which is 2.5hrs from NYC. Not sure if it's worth the drive for you, but it's an option.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 02:00 PM   #3
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Damn that sucks.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1254384

That's a pretty detailed thread. The place this guy went to didn't have to replace the sensor. It's in West Chester, which is 2.5hrs from NYC. Not sure if it's worth the drive for you, but it's an option.
Thank you, I skimmed through a couple of threads on the subject but I missed this one.

The other messed up thing is I want to buy the windshield and have SafeLite replace it, as the OP in that thread did but SafeLite wants to charge an additional $300 to calibration the rain sensor, which they won't budge on.

It looks like I can't escape this costing close to a $1,000, what a freaking waste.. As they say; when it rains, it pours..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 05:24 PM   #4
HazChem
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BSM M2C

Garage List
I would recommend SafeLite. They replaced mine and it was a seamless experience. I created a thread detailing my experience.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      12-19-2019, 07:32 PM   #5
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazChem View Post
I would recommend SafeLite. They replaced mine and it was a seamless experience. I created a thread detailing my experience.

Hey, question; did SafeLite reuse the same rain sensor or did they install a new one?

I'm hesitant to purchase a brand new sensor, since it working fine, BMW technical manual doesn't specifically require it and I see they sell an aftermarket adhesive pads to re-laminate the current sensor to the new glass.

At the same time, I don't want to have deal with any blowbacks, even if it's adds another $200 to the windshield cost, so I'm currently weighing the pros and cons of reusing my old sensor, against the recommendation of the dealer and springing for new one.

Also, I want to note, BMW doesn't sell a OEM gel pad adhesive separately, I guess they prefer you purchase a fresh sensor.

Decisions, decisions..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 08:19 PM   #6
HazChem
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BSM M2C

Garage List
They reused the sensor. I got a great deal so I didn’t complain.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      12-24-2019, 02:44 PM   #7
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

My E46 has a rain and light sensor for the lights and wipers. This is - at least - its 2nd windshield. The sensor still appears to be original, but models may vary...

HTH

Last edited by M Fifty; 12-24-2019 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: What ever that was...
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 03:41 PM   #8
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I recently was moseying along the expressway behind a 18-wheeler truck, which kicked up a rock, that collided with my windshield, cracking it {Pause for obscenities}..

Anyways, I'm about to purchase a new OEM windshield, however, word on the street is I also have to replace the rain/light sensor, which the dealer didn't give a proper explanation to why this is. It's just a sensor, it shouldn't be expendable unless it's deemed defective.

The only reason I could see for them wanting to replace the sensor is it attaches to windshield via an adhesive, so I'm assuming they don't want to risk it delaminating from some third-party adhesive.

Anyone else here ever had to replace a windshield and reused the same rain/light sensor or am I really require to purchase a new one?

I'm paying out-of-pocket so I would like the reduce the overall cost but not if it's going to become an issue in the future.
Not sure why you'd pay out of pocket for a comp claim but here's info about what was done for my previous M2.

Cracked Windshield https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1627705
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      12-24-2019, 07:03 PM   #9
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

Not sure why you'd pay out of pocket for a comp claim but here's info about what was done for my previous M2.

Cracked Windshield https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1627705
I have a $1,000 comprehensive deductible trying to save a buck on insurance, it's not currently worthwhile to make a claim.

Thanks for the link..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 07:20 PM   #10
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Throw a CF roof on it while the glass is out?
Appreciate 2
Poochie9099.00
      12-24-2019, 07:44 PM   #11
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Throw a CF roof on it while the glass is out?
LoL, nah, that's too much of a big commitment now when I'm planning to upgrade to a M2C if its offered with Adaptive Suspension in the final model year or if not, when the G-Series M2 comes out, I'm going to jump on one of those.

By then, our Mexican-made M2 would be produced in a factory that accommodates a carbon fiber roof stock. One would assume...
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910903.50
      12-25-2019, 12:20 PM   #12
rkmjr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 ,M & Exe Pkg, MT & MPE

Garage List
FYI - When I had my windshield replaced on my 18' M2 LCI (twice) through insurance, the sensor was transferred twice.