BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Plant Preparation For Future G42 (next gen 2er coupe) & G87 (next gen M2)

10-28-2019, 11:58 AM   #45
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Aside from EU delivery not being an option, don't get the negativity of the car being built in Mexico. All BMWs are built the same in any of its factories across the world. They have a brand and reputation to uphold. So, get over it.
Appreciate 6
pizza240746.50
Artemis28913.00
MarkDemma517.00
heavyD^23684.00
JCZ51482.50
      10-28-2019, 12:05 PM   #46
Bahn360Photo
Fitness Gene
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
2006 bmw m5  [10.00]
2016 bmw z4 35is  [7.50]
2000 bmw m5  [10.00]
2018 BMW M4  [10.00]
1987 BMW 325 Conver ...  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonOne View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahn360Photo View Post
And current M2 price just went up!
So many current model M car prices are going up these days...
On the other day, I heard F80 M3 price will be going up because of the new M3's front grills.
Now, the F87 M2 price is going up due to the new plant BMW built in Mexico.

I think people should start making investments on current M cars
Absolutely, I hope bmw is listening somewhere.

Plant is fine as long as quality doesn't suffer as it did with South African plant

Effective 11 Min Home Workouts?????
No equipment?????
20 years of experience
Spartan Race winner
PROtrainer!
Click the link??
https://www.youtube.com/c/FitnessGene
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 12:27 PM   #47
535i MSport
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63S T

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku7 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanekstudio View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
On the one hand I'm thankful BMW will still produce such a car.

But on the flipside, it's an M division product. It should be built in the homeland. The biggest blow is no more Euro delivery.

I've always wanted to make that trip but BMW doesn't make anything that piques my interest besides this car. I guess it was never meant to be.
That's why I'm planning ED on an M2C next summer. Better get the experience while we can!
Yup do it!! I did the m2c ed this August. While it's true waiting for few months after dropping it off to pick it back up is excruciating you may not get the chance to whip a super fast super nimble small wheelbase bmw coupe on stelvio again. I did it on a warm Sunday afternoon and it's the best driving experience of my life so far
Don't forget the 'Ring.

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2019, 12:27 PM   #48
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

hopefully BMW pays there mexico workers more...from what i heard BMW is only paying their Mexico workers $13.00 hr US. Nissan at least pays their mexico workers making nissan versa $19.00 hr.

These BMW mexico workers will probably learn to weld on the BMWs and then go across the street to the nissan plant lol.
Appreciate 1
Kankles1484.50
      10-28-2019, 12:28 PM   #49
535i MSport
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63S T

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonOne View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahn360Photo View Post
And current M2 price just went up!
So many current model M car prices are going up these days...
On the other day, I heard F80 M3 price will be going up because of the new M3's front grills.
Now, the F87 M2 price is going up due to the new plant BMW built in Mexico.

I think people should start making investments on current M cars
Man maths at its best. Maybe I need an M2CS?

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 12:36 PM   #50
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Aside from EU delivery not being an option, don't get the negativity of the car being built in Mexico. All BMWs are built the same in any of its factories across the world. They have a brand and reputation to uphold. So, get over it.
Valid point.

Repost of my earlier comment from the sister thread that I posted after some disrespectful comments in that thread about Mexico and its good people:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
This thread is not supposed to be turned into a political discussion. For politics, feel free to post in the dedicated section.

However, exceptionally, IMHO it is appropriate to make the following remark: it is saddening and disappointing to read comments in this thread reflecting low esteem, prejudice and lack of respect for/about Mexico and its people. Shame on you. Respect is a core value.

For the record: during the second half of last century, Leipzig was part of the German Democratic Republic (D.D.R. aka East Germany), which was part of Comecon (an economic organization from 1949 to 1991 under the leadership of the Soviet Union). As we all know, after the fall of the Soviet Union and communist rule in Eastern Europe, Germany got reunified (1990). Ever since, Leipzig flourished in many ways (and it continues to flourish).

BMW built a state-of-the-art factory in Leipzig: the Leipzig plant, building BMW cars since 2005, including the F87 M2 nowadays. With all the R&D, infrastructure, tools, materials, protocols, formation, support, maintenance, quality control, etc. the Leipzig workforce undoubtedly gives its level best to deliver, day after day, car after car, like their colleagues in other BMW plants worldwide do.

BMW recently built a state-of-the-art factory in Mexico: the San Luis Potosí plant, building the new BMW 3er this year.

So ask yourself: as the proof of the pudding is in the eating, isn't it outright unfair to assume that the workforce at the BMW San Luis Potosí plant won't manage to deliver like their colleagues in other BMW plants do ?

Everyone's entitled to a fair chance.
      10-28-2019, 12:37 PM   #51
Uwrwilke
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
Evidence has surfaced of preparation for future production at the BMW San Luis Potosí plant in Mexico of also the following future BMW cars (public source: here):
  • G42 = next generation 2 Series coupe
  • G87 = next generation M2
Hopefully it's a production split between DE and MX. I know a few company do this, like Mazda. They're basically hedging their bets on import fees. Also, if the parts are still made in DE and just assembled in MX, that wouldn't be such a bad thing.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 12:45 PM   #52
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by manticor View Post
No way would I buy an M car built in Mexico. No issue with run of the mill stuff but I just won't pay that premium for that. Foh
I agree. I have toured Garching(also the vault) and spent good time at the M test centre at the ring. Once you know the German M group anything less is not acceptable IMO. They all have a special passion for the brand.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 12:49 PM   #53
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDemma View Post
I've been to BMW Welt a few times (former job had an office in Munich) and so I'm admittedly less inclined to really want to do a ED. But I DO understand why folks would really want to do it. You can really spend an entire day going thru it and the museum next door and driving around the Autobahn is pure joy - it's these cars natural environment.

My bigger concern is than whether they are made in Mexico or Leipzig is that they don't muck it up. We know they won't be basing it on UKL with a FWD so there's a bullet dodged and they have said it will have an I6 ... BUT ... they could still decide to not offer manual, only offer the M240 as a 4 cyl M235 or worst of all PUT AN UGLY GIANT GRILL ON IT.

If there is any reason to travel to Munich it's not for ED, it's to start a protest outside BMW Welt carrying "NO UGLY GIANT GRILL ON THE M2" signs until they promise not to do it.

Probably the only thing that will save it, though, is the M2 not being as popular in China due to not being flashy (read: douchy) enough.
And the OG M2 was aimed directly at China..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 12:54 PM   #54
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Hmm. Mexico delivery.
Hopefully you will make back to the US.
Appreciate 1
ried791.50
      10-28-2019, 12:57 PM   #55
Hegge
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by the storm breaks View Post
All the more reason to get a F87. Can't wait
Really concerned about next generation M2, M3, and M4. Cars will be longer, weigh more, bigger, no DCT and plus the terrible grille. The F87 and F80 models may be better than the G series.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 01:03 PM   #56
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
hopefully BMW pays there mexico workers more...from what i heard BMW is only paying their Mexico workers $13.00 hr US. Nissan at least pays their mexico workers making nissan versa $19.00 hr.

These BMW mexico workers will probably learn to weld on the BMWs and then go across the street to the nissan plant lol.
Isn’t the reason for building the vehicles in Mexico to SAVE money?
Appreciate 3
///M TOWN13119.00
      10-28-2019, 01:17 PM   #57
19x
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

I may be in the minority here, but I personally prefer my BMW's to be made and assembled in Germany (or at least mostly in Germany). I get it, globalism.

I know many people will argue that the quality of a Chinese or Mexican-made BMW may be on par with German-made, but if history is anything to go by, then I still have my doubts. I remember what happened to VW when they started building cars in Mexico back in the day.
Appreciate 5
stein_325i25051.00
KevM2720.00
smknjoe234.00
chrisk03153.00
ried791.50
      10-28-2019, 01:22 PM   #58
MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i / E46 330Ci ZHP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCP View Post
I'd not read that anywhere. I know that the 1 series sedan was aimed at that market for people that wanted the most affordable thing they could get their hands on with a BMW roundel on it. If you've got the money for an M car, my assumption was that market wanted the flashier model ... but again I've not seen any sources to back up that feeling ... if you have links to the M2 aimed at China market or sales figures that would be interesting to see.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 01:30 PM   #59
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_bm View Post
Not sad at all, you will be driving a P car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
If I can't do a European Delivery with BMW on my next M Car then I guess I'll do one with Porsche instead...

How sad is that ⁉️

You're correct about that.

10-28-2019, 01:35 PM   #60
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDemma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCP View Post
I'd not read that anywhere. I know that the 1 series sedan was aimed at that market for people that wanted the most affordable thing they could get their hands on with a BMW roundel on it. If you've got the money for an M car, my assumption was that market wanted the flashier model ... but again I've not seen any sources to back up that feeling ... if you have links to the M2 aimed at China market or sales figures that would be interesting to see.
This was directly from the mouths of M engineers and bosses during our ED of the M4GTS and M2 in May 2016. I have no literature.
Appreciate 2
      10-28-2019, 02:17 PM   #61
M3ditate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: ALL of them

The 2 GC and 2 coupe will be on a different chassis. Hence they're built at different factories.
I'm not sure why people are upset. When the Spartanburg plant opened the entire world scoffed at an American built BMW. Look at the success of that factory over the last 20 years. The robots don't know they're in America. They don't know they're in Mexico. It's the same production
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 02:19 PM   #62
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwrwilke View Post
Hopefully it's a production split between DE and MX. I know a few company do this, like Mazda. They're basically hedging their bets on import fees. Also, if the parts are still made in DE and just assembled in MX, that wouldn't be such a bad thing.
I'm not seeing any preparations for G42 other than in Mexico.

Parts for the cars built in Germany are being made all around the world today. Look at any new BMW window sticker. At best, it will have 60% German content.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 02:21 PM   #63
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by manticor View Post
No way would I buy an M car built in Mexico. No issue with run of the mill stuff but I just won't pay that premium for that. Foh
M for Mexico

Germany has a 35 hour work week, 3 days off and a floater that can substitute any worker feeling stressed

Mexico has siesta...

Seriously: no matter where it's built, I'm still going Bmw, engendered well and good parts helps my decision
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 02:26 PM   #64
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGirlFL View Post
I posted the screenshot because knowledge of plant preparation transformed my uncertainty from if to when.
The mods have edited your original post, adding the answer to the "when".
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ditate View Post
The 2 GC and 2 coupe will be on a different chassis. Hence they're built at different factories.
I'm not sure why people are upset. When the Spartanburg plant opened the entire world scoffed at an American built BMW. Look at the success of that factory over the last 20 years. The robots don't know they're in America. They don't know they're in Mexico. It's the same production
This. They're the same KUKAs you'll see in any other BMW plant, configured by the same German and Eastern European engineers as in any other BMW plant. There's very little done by live humans during final assembly compared to all other work that goes into building a modern car.
Appreciate 1
BMWGirlFL6234.00
      10-28-2019, 02:32 PM   #65
TemjinX2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RO View Post
Isn’t the reason for building the vehicles in Mexico to SAVE money?
they still need to pay them a competitive wage...or the average worker wont care about work quality.

If there making BMWs, BMW should pay them more then a average worker making nissan veras which is one of the cheapest cars you can buy new.

The nissan plant is in mexico as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 02:34 PM   #66
TemjinX2
Major
Rep

more then likely BMW will probably just do the GM approach. The engines and transmissions will be made in germany and shipped to mexico for final assembly into the cars.
Appreciate 0