BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > N55 M2 vs. 997.2 C2S

04-28-2019, 02:09 PM   #1
hdizzle
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None

N55 M2 vs. 997.2 C2S

So I'm wondering if anyone here has experience driving both of these cars, as I'm considering a move to a 911 from my LCI M2.

The 991 is an awesome car, no doubt, but if I'm going to buy into that generation I'd rather wait until the the Carrera T depreciates a bit more and jump on that one. The 991.1 C2 that I drove was really amazing, but I think I'd prefer the enthusiast spec of the Carrera T, which is still in the high 80K range used.

Until then, the 997.2 C2S is an appealing move for me. It has depreciated enough where if I got into one and moved on only after a year or two, I wouldn't lose much money.

I love the size and proportions of the 997, and I don't mind if it's less roomy on the inside. I've driven a 997.2 C2 (non-s) and it was surprisingly powerful and torquey.

Ultimately I do not care about numbers, stats, 0-60, etc. I care about 'feel', quality, and fun factor.

Can anyone with experience driving both the OG M2 and 997.2 C2S chime in and tell me if this is a boneheaded move?

I live in an area where it is very difficult to test drive cars that aren't soulless appliances.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 12:20 AM   #2
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

I drove a 997.1 C2S and an M2 (both briefly) and my initial impression was that the 911 has WAY more feedback. The M2 is more compliant, quieter, and has more body roll. If you don't need space, or it's a 2nd car, I'd have to say the 997.2 will be more of an event to drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 06:35 AM   #3
grl.racr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, MK8 R, RS6 Avant

M2 will be more numb and disconnected. It has a fun factor, no doubt, but it’s very much a modern car that lacks the feedback Porsche offers.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 07:03 AM   #4
monochrom3
Former P-Car Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 (TBD)

Agreed that the 997.2 CS is the more engaging car. Only thing the m2 has on it is modern tech, but if it's about the drive, then the tech should t matter. I'd push for a GTS if you can swing it. The wider body while keeping RWD is awesome, plus the extra bump in power
Fined243.00
      04-29-2019, 12:33 PM   #5
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Porsche, all day every day
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 08:49 AM   #6
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
If it's for daily, I'd get the M2. 997.2 is a better sports car but I don't know if you want to deal with stiff clutch.. stiff everything else for daily duty. For once a month driving, and keeping resale value; 997.2

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2019, 11:56 AM   #7
matty_f
on restriction from buying more cars
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 24 M2, 18 GT3T, 16 LR4, 67 912

Little late, but here are my thoughts...

I owned a 997.1S for about 4+ years. I sold it and got an M2. I go back and forth on whether I regret that decision.

Although my comparison will be with loads of seat time in the .1, all transfers to the .2. The main difference between models is the updated DI engine, which is a better engine, but doesn’t sound as good. That sound can be remedied easily with a low dollar a gundo hack or fister muffler upgrade. Other differences include slightly refined front suspension, an updated PCM and LED tails and running lights. Also PDK was introduced, but I only get manuals for my sports cars enjoyment.

The 997 is the pinnacle of steering for modern watercooled Porsches. The electronic steering in the newer 991, while good, is still noticeably worse than the 997. The wheel dances in your hands and you feel everything under foot. The old joke is you could drive over a maple leaf and feel it in through the steering wheel. It’s not quite that good, but it’s the benchmark for me.

The 997 is a serious car. It’s hard to drive fast with traction control off. The car will understeer on entry if you don’t trail brake correctly and oversteer on exit if you overcook it. And it will certainly bite you hard if you don’t respect it. When the back comes loose corrections have to be made quickly. If you over correct it will swing back violently the other direction. It can be quite dramatic and city streets are no place to experiment with this. With traction control on you will feel like the greatest driver ever. The Porsche stability control is excellent, it tames the oversteer and will gracefully hide all your mistakes.

Linking turns up a canyon road at 8/10th is one of the most enjoyable things to do in a 997. As you go from turn to turn you can feel the engine shift its weight in the back as it moves in the motor mounts and the tires shear over. It’s a little unsettling at first, but those 305 rears will hold you and you’ll grow addicted to the little wiggle from the rear between turns. It’s really something you need to experience to enjoy and the one thing I really miss. The other thing I miss is in the 997 you can hit the apex early and rocket out of turns like nothing else.

Burnouts are also a challenge for the 997, as with such large real wheels you can get wheel hop and that’s no fun. The clutch is heavier than the M2, but I wouldn’t characterized it as too heavy. I’d say the M2 is too light. I’m torn on the shifter feel. The 997 uses cables and has a little slop, while the M2 feels a bit rubbery. I’ll call that a wash.

The interior on the 997 is a timeless classic. I think it will age very well. I definitely miss the 5 gauge cluster. From a technology standpoint it’s extremely dated, but this is a drivers car so I don’t care. Try and get full leather if you can as the plastic dash cheapens the interior a bit.

On to the M2. When I first got the M2, I was disappointed. The seats are too high, the steering dead, the engine sound underwhelming, the turbo engine definitely has lag and it runs out of steam past 6000 rpms. By comparison the 997 just screams above 6000 and it’s a blast to wind it up to the full redline. But despite all that, I’ve grown to really love the M2. There’s something special about it. I think the main thing is it’s such a playful car. The rear steps out so easily and controllably that it’s such a blast to get it loose every now and then. The handling is precise and predictably and you don’t have to wring it out to have fun. I got the M2 to learn to become a better driver and it’s really helped in that regard. I also like that you can be incognito in the M2. It blends in with the sea of other BMWs in LA. There’s no way around it, but the Porsche will always be looked at as douchemobile and it feels a bit like you have a target on your back. I know the BMW is too, but to a much lesser extent.

The 997 definitely wins as a sportscar and it will feel special every time you get in it. If you’re just tooling around, the M2 feels just like sedan. But when you want to it’s easier to get loose and have fun with it without risking life and limb.
Appreciate 5
rich8566608.50
KevinM2931.00
ddnmkun153.50
      06-08-2019, 05:59 PM   #8
HolmaN
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M2, R8, 997, Focus RS

I've had a couple of 997's and the M2 is a better car overall.
Clutch is hard, you feel every cigarets you drive over once you've had the car lowered alittle and with 19 inch wheels on the Porsvhe.
Only option to go for would to be 997.2 from 2009 or later with PDK as the older models dont have a double clutch before 2009.

Porsche is timeless tho, might look a little more premium and stand out apart from an M2 to the untrained car-eye. But the M2 is such a good car overall. Powerfull yet a good dailydriver.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 06:58 AM   #9
Fined
ghost user
Rep
Drives: M2 | 997 GTS

Late entry but thought worthwhile for someone else thinking over this.

I picked up my 2017 M2 about a week ago and had a chance to get it out for its first trip to the mountain twisty roads a couple days ago. I have owned a 2011 Carrera GTS for 3 years.

The two cars are pretty far apart in layout, ethos, original price, driving feel, and quality. They go about what they do so differently. What they share in common is being cars that are fantastic in execution and value for their current prices.

The 997.2 was terrific as a daily driver for 2+ years. Great reliability during the 30k miles of my ownership. Sublime in the mountain twisties and on track. The car exudes confidence and control even when pushed. The smoothness and progressive nature of how the car breaks away when pushed past its traction limits and the level of communication it offers is on another plane from the M2. I could not consider selling the 911 for an M2 or M2C. The cars, for me, have different purposes.

The M2 as a daily driver, from my experience over only the past week of ownership.. I'd take over my 911 (hence my reason for buying one as a daily). The 997.2 is older and feels older, its an evolution of the 996, and feels that way. It's not an old or dated feeling moreso it recalls the feeling of sporting cars from the past. The manner in which a 911 is equipped makes a big difference in the feel you get from it as well. My 911 with its hyper communicative steering, firmer Sport PASM suspension, lightweight centerlock wheels, lack of insulation in the rear, N/A 410hp flat six engine is entirely more sporty, more focused, and more dialed for driving pleasure. I'd say a properly equipped 997.2 Carrera S will be only slightly less of all these things, but still head and shoulders more direct and communicative than an M2 or M2C. 200-250lbs weight difference (for OG M2) makes a minor difference, though I can feel that my M2 is heavier than my 911.

On the other hand..

The M2 has great power delivery, modern tech, a gentler ride, and won't ever leave me wanting for performance for trips to customer labs across Germany. M2 has more comfortable seats, a full sized backseat and a larger trunk. Its a hoot to drive, and it resolves the aching sense of loss I've been bothered with since I got rid of my 128i M Sport 6MT that I daily drove for a year when I decided to use the 911 for pleasure driving only. There is something perfect about a small-ish BMW sports coupe for daily driving. With a great balance between practicality and sporting nature.. one which is hard to beat for daily driving.
Appreciate 1
termigni1080.00
      10-28-2019, 10:15 AM   #10
termigni
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2000, MacanS, M4CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
if you are thinking about it, do it. M2 is glorified econobox (2 series). 911 is top range car from one of the most prestigious sports car company. need I say more?

2018 ///M2 LCI, Metallic Orange, 6MT, Exec Pkg, Apple.. Sold

Instagram: Tommys911
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 02:04 PM   #11
Yoshuey
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 OG Manual Grey 2017

Feels like a right of passage this… seem like a lot of former m2 owners, tend to lean towards the 997.2 or 991 as the next step, 3 years late to the convo… but thinking of the whether to change to a 997.2 C or stay in the M2 until I can get into 991 or an Emira a couple years down the line.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 02:35 PM   #12
E90convert
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 DCT, F15 X5

I had a 987.2S as my second car for awhile. I know not a 911, but from the driver seat forwards, it’s pretty much the same. The car was the best thing I’ve driven on track. The corner exit grip, light steering, mid corner balance, and direct turn in was otherworldly. It never felt like you had to wrestle it around, it just did what you wanted. Incredible on a wet track. For family and time management reasons, I consolidated my F30 335i and 987.2S into an M2 and an upgraded family SUV (X5).

On the street, the M2 is far more entertaining to drive with the turbo engine and low RPM torque thrust. It has better tech, more comfortable to drive, quieter cabin. The 987.2S was only entertaining when you were wringing out the engine. Oh that sweet flat 6 induction noise with the air scoop right next to your ear.

I would expect the 911 to be more refined, but have a similar street driving experience.
Sold in 2020 '08 E92 335xi 6MT
Sold in 2016 '08 E90 335i 6MT - FBO
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 01:34 PM   #13
BallHog5873
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Manual, 2016 328D Wagon

I sold my 18 M2 for a 997.2 C2 manual and couldn't be happier.
I was a big fan of the 2-series, as I have owned an M240i, an M2 DCT, and an M2 manual. Never driven the M2C, so my opinion is based off the OG.
Overall the M2 is a great car, but after a while I got tired of the weight, high riding position compared to other sports cars, the rubbery shifter, and the overly light and numb clutch.
The 997 is just a better sports car, its light, the driving position is perfect, and all the inputs have feel to them. Some people say the 997 clutch is heavy, I disagree, its perfectly weighted and you can actually feel where it engages. I find the 997 easier to drive in the city than the M2 with the overly light clutch and all the torque down low. First and second gear in the M2 is notoriously hard to get smooth and gets old driving like that in the city. Im already a better manual driver bc of the 997 after 6 months than I was after a year and half with the M2.
And I have come to really love having an NA engine that I can rev out. I like the power coming on a little later and it makes lower speeds easier to shift smoothly.
I don't think you need the S, the 997.2 base makes better power to weight than the M2, so if that car is enough for you save your money.
I think the M2 excels at being more comfortable and modern. If its your daily and an auto, maybe the M2 is the way to go. If its purely your fun sports car, the 911 is way better and will hold is value very well. I have a feeling the OG M2s are gonna start depreciating now that the new gen is out. Im glad I got out of mine when I did.
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2023, 04:01 PM   #14
Yoshuey
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 OG Manual Grey 2017

Yeh I hear you. I’m OG m2 Manual too. And some of the reasons you say… is exactly what I’m feeling at mo. It is my daily… and until I hit retirement age, I’m unlikely to change to autos/dsgs etc. and that’s long way away.

As a daily it’s absolutely fantastic the M2… but as u mention, the seating position, as well as the overall feel of sitting in something like a dedicated sports coupe as opposed to a two door saloon is something I miss. Previous car being a z4 coupe.

I know everyone says buy by condition and not mileage… but there’s a 997.2 C manual I’ve got my eye on… but it’s a 93k miler. Vs my m2 which I bought at 21k miles (one owner car) and have put about 12k miles on it’s a year.

I’m not one watch the miles I put on… so if I did change to the 997.2 - I’d probably be putting 10k miles at least per year, as it will be a daily.

Really at the moment I’m really stuck between keeping the pretty fresh M2, vs buying a 997.2 that even though has been well looked after, will most likely need a bit more annual maintenance than the m2. Essentially both at the same value.

The only reason I’m a bit stuck now is not because I want to get out of an M2… i really like the car, but my concern is if I don’t get into a 997.2 soon… they MIGHT go beyond being affordable - I think more and more enthusiasts are recongnising the 997.2 as modern day classic (best mix of old school driving dynamics and size, with just enough modern comfort levels / tech etc).

In the uk anyway, the Gen 2s seem to creeping up in price every month.
Appreciate 1