BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Opinions - Make the switch to M2C?

06-26-2018, 11:23 AM   #23
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
S55 is on a whole different level than the N55 from internals to turbo setup for performance and anti-lag.

I drove an M2 base yesterday after owning an M4 for years. I loved the M2 but it needed more so thats why the M2 Comp intrigues me.
Yeah I mean everyone here has read the spec sheet and marketing. I am under no delusion respecting the S55 setup--recognizing of course that the N55 isn't exactly the same model from the 235i. But there's tradeoffs with the S55 motor which you are obviously aware of coming from an M4. That anti-lag doesn't seem as potent as advertised particularly in the 2015 models. The N55 M2 has very little lag. It does have overboost delay which is something that took me a long time to figure out--but it is corrected with a tune. If you feel you need more than that and don't want to tune then it's a pretty easy answer, you go with the M2C. Personally I don't get it and think a tuned N55 is great for DD'ing but to each their own. Plenty of arguments in either direction though I do suspect you'd get a smoking deal on an LCI M2 vs M2C.
      06-26-2018, 11:29 AM   #24
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Yeah I mean everyone here has read the spec sheet and marketing. I am under no delusion respecting the S55 setup--recognizing of course that the N55 isn't exactly the same model from the 235i. But there's tradeoffs with the S55 motor which you are obviously aware of coming from an M4. That anti-lag doesn't seem as potent as advertised particularly in the 2015 models. The N55 M2 has very little lag. It does have overboost delay which is something that took me a long time to figure out--but it is corrected with a tune. If you feel you need more than that and don't want to tune then it's a pretty easy answer, you go with the M2C. Personally I don't get it and think a tuned N55 is great for DD'ing but to each their own. Plenty of arguments in either direction though I do suspect you'd get a smoking deal on an LCI M2 vs M2C.
Since I have neither the M2C is the way to go. If I already had one I would be hard pressed to upgrade as you said.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 03:16 PM   #25
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Why would you go to the S55 after making your N55 perfect? Do you really need MORE power?

You aren't getting "quite" the upgrade. That's forum brainwashing. It's a modest upgrade at best that, unless you tune it, you really won't enjoy as much as your current car. The marketing isn't worth it. Wait for the next M2.

Your drone is the DP. The S55 drones as well, even stock. All BMW turbos do this and the minute you slap a DP on them, they become pretty nasty. FWIW my FI DP has been not too bad on the drone.
Totally agree with stefan. You already have best F87 with N55 with stock turbo. Further from your current mod will cost you fuel system upgrade with turbo upgrade which will be again expensive. We don't need 500-600 hp on this car. M2 was beautifully done with reasonable price with power that you can ACTUALLY use on normal road with daily driving.
Drone part. Knowing that you do need your DP to keep up with the rest of your mod bolts on, I think there is no way around other than getting resonator back on which you dont have since you got your MPE installed from port.

Sure you can find something with decent deal on Member Classified Forum.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 04:02 PM   #26
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

First, I'd like to thank everyone for their input and opinions...this is what I like about this forum...always a lot of great input.

The person that said I should talk to my accountant...I am an accountant, lol...and that's what was making this decision harder ...as on paper, I know that the switch doesn't make a lot of sense.

I have decided to forgo the M2C and keep my LCI... and put a deposit down on an allocation for the next GT4.

As for my M2, I will follow the advice of some here and make a few final mods...seat swap, custom tune (running OTS currently) and a BBK. To another member's point, I don't track a lot (just don't have time) and I only drive the car a few days a week and not in the winter...so it is the logical decision to keep it. It is a pretty nice ride the way I have it now...the drone is solved by turning up the tunes!

Besides...it just looks (and sounds) so damn good...
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
      06-26-2018, 04:39 PM   #27
S1monQc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 AW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_LCI View Post
First, I'd like to thank everyone for their input and opinions...this is what I like about this forum...always a lot of great input.

The person that said I should talk to my accountant...I am an accountant, lol...and that's what was making this decision harder ...as on paper, I know that the switch doesn't make a lot of sense.

I have decided to forgo the M2C and keep my LCI... and put a deposit down on an allocation for the next GT4.

As for my M2, I will follow the advice of some here and make a few final mods...seat swap, custom tune (running OTS currently) and a BBK. To another member's point, I don't track a lot (just don't have time) and I only drive the car a few days a week and not in the winter...so it is the logical decision to keep it. It is a pretty nice ride the way I have it now...the drone is solved by turning up the tunes!

Best move. I was about to tell you to keep your $$ and put it as a downpayment on a Porsche, but I guess you red through my mind
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2018, 05:41 PM   #28
just blaze
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Alpine White

I think you made the right decision. I was in the same position as you. Have a MY18 and about half of the mods you have on your car including the suspension. Even if you have disposable income, jumping to the M2C and having a MY18 would have the biggest net lost IMO because the car is not even a year old. I won't rule of the possibility down the line but even if I am still interested, it will be a MY20. I'm excited for the M2C and would like to see some reviews on it. Until then, I will enjoy my current M2 and continue to mod it to my liking. I still love the car N55 and all. Still need to become a better driver and plan to use the M2 to do so.
      06-26-2018, 05:55 PM   #29
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:

Talk to me about this seat swap..... Also if the drone gets to you, you could always swap for an FI DP, or have someone weld in a resonator ahead of your muffler. Vibrant makes pieces that are designed to reduce drone. Since our systems are pretty basic, it's a quick weld at a muffler shop.

Last edited by stefan; 06-26-2018 at 06:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 06:16 PM   #30
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
Quote:

Talk to me about this seat swap..... Also if the drone gets to you, you could always swap for an FI DP, or have someone weld in a resonator ahead of your muffler.
Was trying to find some M4 seats online...but I haven't had much luck finding anything in black in my area - seen a few SO sets. They are quite costly to ship, so if I could find something within an 8 hour drive of Toronto (Canada or US) then I would jump on them. Apparently they are plug and play (front only). IND had a set but someone beat me to them. I don't particularly dislike the stock seats...I had the same set in my F30...but was just looking for something a little nicer. If the CF MPerf hood pricing is any indication of what BMW is going to charge for M2C parts, then I'll rule out grabbing a set of M2C seats.

If anyone knows someone with an M4 that is looking to put in some after market seats and needs to sell their stock seats (black colour only)...send them my way.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 02:35 AM   #31
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

I would keep your m2 and get something else than getting a same car.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 09:01 PM   #32
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Was trying to find some M4 seats online...but I haven't had much luck finding anything in black in my area - seen a few SO sets. They are quite costly to ship, so if I could find something within an 8 hour drive of Toronto (Canada or US) then I would jump on them. Apparently they are plug and play (front only). IND had a set but someone beat me to them. I don't particularly dislike the stock seats...I had the same set in my F30...but was just looking for something a little nicer. If the CF MPerf hood pricing is any indication of what BMW is going to charge for M2C parts, then I'll rule out grabbing a set of M2C seats.

If anyone knows someone with an M4 that is looking to put in some after market seats and needs to sell their stock seats (black colour only)...send them my way.
I would contact junk yards and see if they have a totaled M4.
Appreciate 0