BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Taking delivery

06-24-2018, 07:44 PM   #1
mphile
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Taking delivery

I’m curious about people’s experiences and techniques of taking delivery. I have an M2C coming in July.

I did ED on a 1M back in 2011, and stupidly, didn’t consider how to take delivery of the car once back in Chicago. The car was ok, aside from a small scratch on the rear left window. That and I’m not keen on letting dealerships wash or detail or touch anything.

I’ve seen some videos on taking delivery with all the packing material still on. Is that the way to go? Any tips on removing the wrap? I’ve seen mention of a special type of cleaner to use when removing it from the body panels - is that needed?

Any other tips or things to specify with the dealer?

[On a semi-related side note: is anyone aware of a decent place to get regular washes and possibly a detail after delivery in Chicago? I don’t have a setup to wash my own cars. All of these “soft-touch” places are a total scam.]
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 08:05 PM   #2
carl44
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C

i always have the dealer put the car in the air and inspect for leaks or shipping damage to the undercarriage. I also bring a paint thickness gauge to make sure there wasnt any respray done at port. No wash or wax. I learned the hard way . Had a 996GT3 that came with a bent control arm from being incorrectly chained down for shipment from port. Also had a 981 CS with the front fender had been resprayed at port how i discovered it was a chunk of paint came off when i had the clearbra installed. Used this method with my last 4 cars another 981CS,2-GT4s and a M2. carl
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 08:26 PM   #3
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

People who care about it usually tell the dealer to leave the shipping materials still on the car, don't wash or a wax, then have a detailer appointment already set up where they take the car where the pros there unwrap the car, clean, paint correct, then clear bra and or coat the car and wheels.

And god help the dealer if they drill holes for a front plate on the car.

The paint meter is a good idea if you're willing to refuse an ordered car over anything repainted at port.

If you're really nuts flat bed the car from dealer to your detailer.

If you're even more nuts flat bed it to your garage and handle the detailing yourself because you don't trust anyone else.
Appreciate 2
Ramos856.00
      06-24-2018, 08:29 PM   #4
kfscoll
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 MG M2 6MT, ‘15 MW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl44 View Post
i always have the dealer put the car in the air and inspect for leaks or shipping damage to the undercarriage. I also bring a paint thickness gauge to make sure there wasnt any respray done at port. No wash or wax. I learned the hard way . Had a 996GT3 that came with a bent control arm from being incorrectly chained down for shipment from port. Also had a 981 CS with the front fender had been resprayed at port how i discovered it was a chunk of paint came off when i had the clearbra installed. Used this method with my last 4 cars another 981CS,2-GT4s and a M2. carl
What’d Porsche and/or the dealer do about the resprayed fender?

I have a feeling BMW will tell you to pound sand if you complain about something that was repaired at the PDC...after all, isn’t that a big part of what it’s for? Now, if the paint comes off during a clear bra installation, that’s something completely different.

In other words, unless there’s a problem with the PDC’s repair, I think you’re SOL unless you simply refuse delivery.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 10:59 AM   #5
carl44
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfscoll View Post
What’d Porsche and/or the dealer do about the resprayed fender?

I have a feeling BMW will tell you to pound sand if you complain about something that was repaired at the PDC...after all, isn’t that a big part of what it’s for? Now, if the paint comes off during a clear bra installation, that’s something completely different.

In other words, unless there’s a problem with the PDC’s repair, I think you’re SOL unless you simply refuse delivery.
I never brought it up because it was to late. Going forward i learned my lesson bought a paint gauge . I now go over the car before the final paper work and the cash changes hands . I then have leverage to either refuse to take cleverly or negotiate a discount or accept the car as is. My last 4 cars 1-981CS, 2-GT4s & 1-M2,have been good with consistent paint readings of 4.7-5.3 mil. carl
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 11:05 AM   #6
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphile View Post
I’m curious about people’s experiences and techniques of taking delivery. I have an M2C coming in July.

I did ED on a 1M back in 2011, and stupidly, didn’t consider how to take delivery of the car once back in Chicago. The car was ok, aside from a small scratch on the rear left window. That and I’m not keen on letting dealerships wash or detail or touch anything.

I’ve seen some videos on taking delivery with all the packing material still on. Is that the way to go? Any tips on removing the wrap? I’ve seen mention of a special type of cleaner to use when removing it from the body panels - is that needed?

Any other tips or things to specify with the dealer?

[On a semi-related side note: is anyone aware of a decent place to get regular washes and possibly a detail after delivery in Chicago? I don’t have a setup to wash my own cars. All of these “soft-touch” places are a total scam.]
In my opinion, the problem is your dealership. I have done ED, and the car gets prepped and cleaned like a new vehicle when I picked it up. What Chicago dealer are you using?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 11:46 AM   #7
ohioplayrs
Rep
Drives: 2018 LCI M2 Mineral Grey

Spoke to BMW Genius and learned my M2C ETA is mid Oct to Port Hueneme, CA.
Will be black sapphire, blue stitching, exec pack, black wheels and 6MT. Holy BatMobile!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 11:50 AM   #8
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioplayrs View Post
Spoke to BMW Genius and learned my M2C ETA is mid Oct to Port Hueneme, CA.
Will be black sapphire, blue stitching, exec pack, black wheels and 6MT. Holy BatMobile!
Congrats! What is your build week?
Appreciate 0