BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2 Competition: dealer deposits question

11-01-2017, 06:34 PM   #1
m20e3087
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
M2 Competition: dealer deposits question

I will be putting a 1K deposit down this Friday, and I was on the list since August. Question is even though I put down the deposit, what are the chances getting an allocation for it? Is 1000 allocation for the USA or total units being built?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 06:50 PM   #2
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by m20e3087 View Post
I will be putting a 1K deposit down this Friday, and I was on the list since August. Question is even though I put down the deposit, what are the chances getting an allocation for it? Is 1000 allocation for the USA or total units being built?
Consensus is that it will not be a limited number, just limited production capacity. Nobody (that actually knows) is talking.

Rumors are that there might be a limit to the Hockenheim Silver color or that the 1000 units applies to the upcoming CSL. Again, just rumors as there is no hard confirmation of anything yet.

We are all waiting with bated breath for info...
      11-01-2017, 07:36 PM   #3
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by m20e3087 View Post
this question has been asked by many and the answer is always the same because PEOPLE (and their whims) are involved.

your deposit for an allocation slot at any dealer for a vehicle that will be in high demand is only as good as the INTEGRITY of that dealer.

There are TONS of people who have laid down deposits.. gotten agreements in writing even... been promised blah blah.. only to find out that when the allocation comes available

Suddenly the dealer says

1) A BMW PREFERRED/SELECT CLIENT HAS SHOWN INTEREST IN BUYING THE VEHICLE.
2) THE DEALERSHIP OWNER/GM DECIDED TO BUY IT
3) LIST, WHAT LIST?
4) OOPS.we didn't have you on the " insert words like super duper or top secret , etc General manager's LIST
5) WE DECIDED TO ADD A (insert value that you won't pay- like $10K ) MARKET ADJUSTMENT (essentially selling to the highest bidder)

Etc..

To be perfectly honest.. no dealer needs an actual deposit until the allocation is actually available to be entered in the system. As a a matter of fact.. when I obtained my 1M... (1 of 740) ... I dealt with two dealers.. one that took a deposit well in advance.. and another that told me he would call be when I needed to place a deposit. The general manager called me the weekend before the allocation became available and took a $5k deposit.

As it turned out , basically the first dealer allowed any sales person on the floor to sell their allocation. Apparently at the second dealer , all the client advisors were instructed to hand off clients to the general manager and it was the general manager that sold the allocation.

If you are dealing with the dealer GENERAL SALES MANAGER... that usually portends better than Joe Client Advisor, but either way can work. As it turns out, I actually got TWO allocations ( mind you, at one point I called over 200 dealers ! ) for the 1M. I handed off the allocation with the $5k deposit to another Bimmerforums member

Don't let this dose of reality keep you from putting down a deposit... however.. just don't be surprised if/when item 1-5 occurs and the dealer wants to cheerfully refund your deposit.

If you aren't aware , the BMW NA order system has a staggered rollout of allocations. They become available in different parts of the county at different times. So, in order to actually counter dealer screw you tactics 1-5 above , if you truly want an M2 further progress it's advisable to not put all your eggs in one basket. Diversify and don't just talk to Dealers that are in the same market area. If you come up with more than one allocation then pay it forward

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 11-01-2017 at 07:55 PM..
Appreciate 5
tke743738.50
JTO245271.50
AndrewC198910910.50
bobert858.50
      11-01-2017, 08:40 PM   #4
Gatte
Major
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
this question has been asked by many and the answer is always the same because PEOPLE (and their whims) are involved.

your deposit for an allocation slot at any dealer for a vehicle that will be in high demand is only as good as the INTEGRITY of that dealer.

There are TONS of people who have laid down deposits.. gotten agreements in writing even... been promised blah blah.. only to find out that when the allocation comes available

Suddenly the dealer says

1) A BMW PREFERRED/SELECT CLIENT HAS SHOWN INTEREST IN BUYING THE VEHICLE.
2) THE DEALERSHIP OWNER/GM DECIDED TO BUY IT
3) LIST, WHAT LIST?
4) OOPS.we didn't have you on the " insert words like super duper or top secret , etc General manager's LIST
5) WE DECIDED TO ADD A (insert value that you won't pay- like $10K ) MARKET ADJUSTMENT (essentially selling to the highest bidder)

Etc..

To be perfectly honest.. no dealer needs an actual deposit untl the allocation is actually available to be entered in the system. As a a matter of fact.. when I obtained my 1M... (1 of 740) ... I dealt with two dealers.. one that took a deposit well in advance.. and another that told me he would call be when I needed to place a deposit. The general manager called me the weekend before the allocation became available and took my deposit.

If you are dealing with the dealer GENERAL SALES MANAGER... that usually portends better than Joe Client Advisor.

Don't let this does of reality keep you from putting down a deposit... however.. just don't be surprised if/when item 1-5 occurs and the dealer wants to cheerfully refund your deposit.
I completely agree that there are pri*** who work at dealerships that do everything that you listed above. However, one of the reasons I feel that the 1k deposit is requested is to separate the people who are serious about the purchase from those who are not.
Appreciate 2
tke743738.50
      11-01-2017, 10:39 PM   #5
smithrider
Rep
Drives: E90

I put a deposit down last week and my SA made it seem certain that I had an allocation once orders opened. He claimed to know how many allocations they were going to get. Based on his claim,if true, they have two more slots for deposits for their first allocations.

If he is BSing me, I will just walk back across the street to the Alfa dealer and get the quad my wife talked me out of.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 02:05 AM   #6
M2-007
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 - April 2018 Delivery

The BMW dealers in Orange County CA know whether they have allocations or not. I visited 3 dealers on September 3rd this year, 2 dealers told me they don't have anymore allocations for the M2, but 1 dealer told me they have an April 2018 allocation. So dealers know whether they have allocations or not. I had to put down $5000 deposit for the April allocation. Then a week later my sales person called me saying a buyer from another dealer cancelled their M2 order for the production week 41 (October) and wanted to know if I am interested in getting my M2 earlier. I said yes and my M2 completed production as scheduled for week 41. Right now it is on a vessel floating somewhere in the North Atlantic ocean, scheduled to arrive at the CA port on 11/17. It seems to me that my dealer not only knows their M2 allocations but also can see the factory allocations and cancellations. Make sure you are working with an experienced sales person or the GM directly. Good Luck to you.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 06:00 AM   #7
MrYLT
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 E53/G05, Porsche 911 SC

Garage List
Interesting informations and points of view.
I'm going to put a deposit for a M2 Competition (or whatever the name will be) this Saturday, in France. I will get more informations about how the deposit and allocation process goes here. If you want I will let you know.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 08:45 AM   #8
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithrider View Post
I put a deposit down last week and my SA made it seem certain that I had an allocation once orders opened. He claimed to know how many allocations they were going to get. Based on his claim,if true, they have two more slots for deposits for their first allocations.

If he is BSing me, I will just walk back across the street to the Alfa dealer and get the quad my wife talked me out of.
He is absolutely 100% full of shit.

Nobody at any dealer right now has any idea of:

a) when it will come out

b) how many will come out

c) and especially, how many they will get
Appreciate 1
bobert858.50
      11-02-2017, 09:21 AM   #9
smithrider
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
He is absolutely 100% full of shit.

Nobody at any dealer right now has any idea of:

a) when it will come out

b) how many will come out

c) and especially, how many they will get
Appreciate the feedback and good to know. I have bought a couple of cars from this dealer and if they are bsing me, they will lose my future biz and I am not wed to the M2 CS so I will just get something else. SA’s aren’t know as the most honest bunch.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 09:44 AM   #10
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithrider View Post
Appreciate the feedback and good to know. I have bought a couple of cars from this dealer and if they are bsing me, they will lose my future biz and I am not wed to the M2 CS so I will just get something else. SA’s aren’t know as the most honest bunch.
If anyone's SA claims to know anything, tell them to show you on their system. So far I haven't seen anyone actually view this info.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 09:48 AM   #11
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

One word of critical advice.

When putting down a deposit make sure you have MSRP or whatever pricing you agree on in WRITING. Without pricing in writing you are basically gambling and the dealer can simply turn on you whenever they please. It does not matter what your sales person says. Usually the general manager is making the decisions whether to markup or not when the time comes.

I got burned last year purchasing a standard M2 so I learned my lesson and now I have MSRP pricing in writing for the m2 CS/competition or whatever the name will be.

I also learned to never deal with California BMW dealers ever again when purchasing a rare model BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 10:21 AM   #12
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2-007 View Post
The BMW dealers in Orange County CA know whether they have allocations or not. I visited 3 dealers on September 3rd this year, 2 dealers told me they don't have anymore allocations for the M2, but 1 dealer told me they have an April 2018 allocation. So dealers know whether they have allocations or not. I had to put down $5000 deposit for the April allocation. Then a week later my sales person called me saying a buyer from another dealer cancelled their M2 order for the production week 41 (October) and wanted to know if I am interested in getting my M2 earlier. I said yes and my M2 completed production as scheduled for week 41. Right now it is on a vessel floating somewhere in the North Atlantic ocean, scheduled to arrive at the CA port on 11/17. It seems to me that my dealer not only knows their M2 allocations but also can see the factory allocations and cancellations. Make sure you are working with an experienced sales person or the GM directly. Good Luck to you.

*Someone * at the dealer knows, but don't assume that joe client advisor knows. As I indicated above , not every dealer GM even shares the allocation info with all the client advisors on their sales floor.

Some dealers are very transparent and all their allocation info for present and future is shared with the entire sales floor. Other dealers, apparently the GMs keep the info close to the vest and share info differently, either releasing allocation info monthly , or even not at all.
Appreciate 1
Gatte1193.00
      11-02-2017, 10:23 AM   #13
bartginger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
One word of critical advice.

When putting down a deposit make sure you have MSRP or whatever pricing you agree on in WRITING. Without pricing in writing you are basically gambling and the dealer can simply turn on you whenever they please. It does not matter what your sales person says. Usually the general manager is making the decisions whether to markup or not when the time comes.

I got burned last year purchasing a standard M2 so I learned my lesson and now I have MSRP pricing in writing for the m2 CS/competition or whatever the name will be.

I also learned to never deal with California BMW dealers ever again when purchasing a rare model BMW.
Interesting story about when I placed my deposit for my M2. When I was given my allocation, the salesman printed out the Vehicle Inquiry Report showing my production number, and also a "Deal Review" sheet that included the deal number and the total sales price, which was at MSRP. I actually had the foresight to have the salesman write on the Deal Review "OK at MSRP + tax/lic" and had him sign his name there. He asked me why I wanted him to do that and I jokingly said "You could die tonight and the next salesman would not know about our agreement." He laughed, and I found out he got fired a week later.
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2017, 10:56 AM   #14
smithrider
Rep

My deal is in writing specifically stating at MSRP. The deposit is refundable if they yank my chain so no real concern.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 11:56 AM   #15
SCALECRAFT
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby Gt 500/

I had an opportunity to buy a limited to 100, M2 drivers edition. I walked into a dealer and asked if they had a M2 optioned with the ZL option (or something like that code) the sale manager looked in his orders and said he had one coming in about 30 days.

He said to put a 100% refundable $5,000 deposit on it if you want the first right of refusal on the car. It would have a $10k premium added at time of purchase.

I didn't go with it.

I figured the way the car industry introduces the first model, then exploits the car with hype, burns out the first model sales, then brings out a better model of the same car will happen here. For me, the drivers edition's draw was 100 limited production. Not enough for me to buy. I want power. I don't want to void any warranties modding the engine.

It'$a BMW

Same marketing with the Z/28, same with the Vette, same with the Camaro, same with the Shelby 350. A better one coming. You just have to get the best one for your application.

The M2 CS with over 400hp with the same basic engine block is enough.

Plus I wait the hype out.

1,000 units is enough when I want just one.

Good luck

Steve
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 03:27 PM   #16
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALECRAFT View Post
I had an opportunity to buy a limited to 100, M2 drivers edition. I walked into a dealer and asked if they had a M2 optioned with the ZL option (or something like that code) the sale manager looked in his orders and said he had one coming in about 30 days.

He said to put a 100% refundable $5,000 deposit on it if you want the first right of refusal on the car. It would have a $10k premium added at time of purchase.

I didn't go with it.

I figured the way the car industry introduces the first model, then exploits the car with hype, burns out the first model sales, then brings out a better model of the same car will happen here. For me, the drivers edition's draw was 100 limited production. Not enough for me to buy. I want power. I don't want to void any warranties modding the engine.

It'$a BMW

Same marketing with the Z/28, same with the Vette, same with the Camaro, same with the Shelby 350. A better one coming. You just have to get the best one for your application.

The M2 CS with over 400hp with the same basic engine block is enough.

Plus I wait the hype out.

1,000 units is enough when I want just one.

Good luck

Steve

great advice! And of course.. if you still really want a ZL9.. there are a few left.. I am fairly confident at least one here in DFW... so even when the line is short..

As Public Enemy said... Don't believe the hype!

The book of the new school BMW game
[Bimmer] Posters treat me like Coltrane, insane
Yes to them, but to me I'm a different kind
We're brothers of the same mind, unblind
Caught in the middle and Not surrenderin'
I don't rhyme for the sake of of riddlin'

good luck with your M2 CS purchase! . ..I need hotter.. and I can wait longer.. M2 CSL.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 11-02-2017 at 03:40 PM..
Appreciate 0