BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Apple iOS topics

05-10-2017, 06:15 PM   #67
japanaltaf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 AW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ried View Post
I was pretty disappointed with Peter Pan BMW refusing to update the software in my 2017 M2, and subsequently contacted the BMW Genius folks. They said the same thing, that no update is available for my car. They claimed to have spoken with BMW's engineering team to confirm.

I subsequently contacted BMW North America's customer support team, which sent me back to the BMW Genius folks who reiterated that there's no new software and they can't help me. Felt like I was going in circles.

So I replied and Cc'd a couple of BMW North America executive team members. A few days later, I heard from one of their administrators who asked for details on my software version, which versions are on other cars in the wild (thanks for the pics, guys!) and what issues I was experiencing. I sent along the specific version information, pictures of the iDrive and Navigation version numbers from this thread, and described the issues.

She's claiming to be in touch with BMW engineering to solve the issue. We'll see if something finally happens. To date it's been "Too bad. No update is available, and we won't even try to update your car. Deal with it."

Hopefully they actually put some effort into this and help out.
Glad to hear you are fighting for it! Looking forward to hearing your result. I have been busy with work, but will start my own battles soon as well. Pretty ridiculous that they make us go through all this nonsense for cars that are still under warranty
Appreciate 1
ried791.50
      05-12-2017, 12:41 AM   #68
nopslide
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by japanaltaf View Post
I took my car (Sept 2016 build) to the dealer asking to get updated. I had the following issues listed -

1. Static on phone calls.
2. CarPlay slow to reconnect when getting back into car after a short stop (like stopping at an ATM).
3. CarPlay unresponsive at times, moving iDrive controller causes no action on the CarPlay screen.

I have an iPhone 7 on iOS 10.3.1 and mentioned that these issues have been happening regardless of iOS level.

The dealer said that they tried a couple different iPhones and couldn't replicate the issues Suffice it to say, this dealership won't be servicing my car anymore. Instead of simply updating the software as I requested, they tried a few phones and declared it good, basically saying that there is no issue and that it's either me or my device. Not sure why some dealerships haven't a clue when it comes to good customer service

I'll try again in a few weeks at a different dealership and report back when I do.
This isn't a really ideal solution but I've noticed when I get static on my carplay calls if I switch from car audio to handset and back using the buttons on the phone it goes away for the duration of the call.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2017, 01:46 AM   #69
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Just use regular bluetooth, problem solved. I don't have CarPlay in my M2 and don't miss it. I don't even use CarPlay in the cars I have that have it.
      05-12-2017, 02:51 PM   #70
japanaltaf
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopslide View Post
This isn't a really ideal solution but I've noticed when I get static on my carplay calls if I switch from car audio to handset and back using the buttons on the phone it goes away for the duration of the call.
Very good to know. Will try that next time, thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 02:57 PM   #71
japanaltaf
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
Just use regular bluetooth, problem solved. I don't have CarPlay in my M2 and don't miss it. I don't even use CarPlay in the cars I have that have it.
Yes, I know I can use bluetooth. It's nice to know that you don't miss CarPlay and I respect your preference.

I have also used my car without CarPlay, but there are some things that CarPlay does better for me personally. Therefore, I would like to use the feature that I paid for and want it to work well
Appreciate 1
ried791.50
      05-17-2017, 08:33 AM   #72
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
This article was interesting as it provides some details about the technologies used for BMW's Connected Drive...

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/05...t-megahertz/3/

If you go back to the intro on the first page there's a paragraph on Pandora, which BTW doesn't work (BMW link on the linked page) ...

For a look at what car support in 2017 looks like, check out Pandora's insane "How to listen to Pandora in the car" support page, which lists all of its disparate pack-in clients

Last edited by omasou; 05-17-2017 at 08:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 11:17 PM   #73
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

Dealer updated my iDrive software today, after BMW North America authorized it. So far, so good.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 08:16 AM   #74
japanaltaf
Private
Rep

Quote:
Dealer updated my iDrive software today, after BMW North America authorized it. So far, so good.
Glad you were able to get it taken care of! What changes have you noticed with the new software? I'll try my luck again later this summer
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 11:45 AM   #75
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

Quote:
What changes have you noticed with the new software?
The ConnectedDrive menu has been re-worked slightly. Also, there are app integrations in several additional areas of iDrive. Overall however, nothing major.

I haven't run into any bugs yet, but it's only been a day.

Can confirm that the audio issue (garbled, robotic voice on a CarPlay call played through the M2 speakers) has not been fixed by updating iDrive. That fix is supposed to come with a phone-only update in July, presumably from bmw.com/update.
Appreciate 1
      06-03-2017, 11:59 AM   #76
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
CarPlay will be crap for many years to come. I fear it will go the way of the AppleTV and just end up a novelty item not well developed & by the time it is refined we will have sold our M2's and moved on.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 12:12 PM   #77
Midn1ght
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Quote:
The ConnectedDrive menu has been re-worked slightly. Also, there are app integrations in several additional areas of iDrive. Overall however, nothing major.

Can confirm that the audio issue (garbled, robotic voice on a CarPlay call played through the M2 speakers) has not been fixed by updating iDrive. That fix is supposed to come with a phone-only update in July, presumably from bmw.com/update.
I'm glad you mentioned this. I have that issue with some of my phone calls. I never knew if it was the car or the phone.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2017, 12:18 PM   #78
Midn1ght
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Quote:

Does anyone know what the latest version of the software is?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 03:51 PM   #79
japanaltaf
Private
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for the info! I was waiting until July to try again to get my car updated because I thought it was the full car update (not the phone-only update). Guess I can go ahead and try again sooner
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 09:48 AM   #80
AGM2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 LBB 17

Went i got my BMW the dealer said to me don't waste you money on that upgrade !!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 01:01 PM   #81
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
Yes, I know I can use bluetooth. It's nice to know that you don't miss CarPlay and I respect your preference.

I have also used my car without CarPlay, but there are some things that CarPlay does better for me personally. Therefore, I would like to use the feature that I paid for and want it to work well
What is CarPlay better at?
      07-02-2017, 12:51 AM   #82
nopslide
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
Pissing me off. The idrive 5 interface and ui in our cars is too smooth and intuitive for an in car entertainment system. CarPlay returns the frustrating experience of navigating in car apps/screens that have no concept of interoperability with each other.
Appreciate 2
      07-05-2017, 11:02 AM   #83
DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nopslide View Post
Pissing me off. The idrive 5 interface and ui in our cars is too smooth and intuitive for an in car entertainment system. CarPlay returns the frustrating experience of navigating in car apps/screens that have no concept of interoperability with each other.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 09:14 AM   #84
wenklaw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m2

My M2 came with Carplay as it was a cancelled order, to be honest I too see little if any point in it.

Thing is as the car has this paid for option and I have an iPhone I feel I must use it!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 01:24 PM   #85
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

900 miles into ownership, carplay is still rock solid. May 17 build
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2017, 02:21 AM   #86
wenklaw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m2

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPurrs View Post
900 miles into ownership, carplay is still rock solid. May 17 build
My carplay works perfectly well enough, I just don't really understand the point of it as it doesn't do anything as far as I can make out that the iDrive 4/5/6 system doesn't do better? Please point out anything I am missing in terms of better features though as I actually want to use it!!!

For me
Apple Maps Nav v BMW idrive Nav - BMW Nav wins for me

iTunes v streaming via standard Bluetooth on the iPhone or USB - the later wins as album art and tracks are easier to select and see

Phone calls - For me better on the idrive as I can scroll on the steering wheel for last calls rather than having to use the carplay menu which is more fiddly. In general I find the menu structure better on the idrive for everything

Carplay Apps - What apps, they are fairly limited

Button shortcuts above the stereo don't work for carplay items, or am I missing something?

idrive6 lite wont display carplay maps in a live tile, only music playing.

There is other functionality that seems to be on the idrive but missing from carplay as well, little things but I cant recall them

I am glad I have it but not convinced its really 100% ready, seems rushed. Hopefully it will improve
Appreciate 2
      08-01-2017, 11:32 AM   #87
DivideBYZero
Never underestimate the Home-Bowl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F87 M2<E92 M3<E46 M3

Garage List
CarPlay would be great if you had a car with junk HMI, but the iDrive is one of the best and in comparison CarPlay is toilet.
Appreciate 1
ZPrime610.50
      08-01-2017, 12:40 PM   #88
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Interesting

Just rented a Dodge Charger with Carplay and I was impressed! Seemed to work much better than my M2 - MUCH. The touch screen helped, but there was more to it - connected nicely, and did what it was supposed to do - also, Apple maps was not too bad either!
Appreciate 0