BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Short Shift Kit for M2 CS (review)

03-20-2023, 01:46 PM   #1
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92: F82: M2C: M2 CS (Now)

Just had the short shift kit from Auto Solutions installed on the weekend, I reduced the throw by 22%. Prior to the installation I had some concerns about the increase in stiffness when shifting and noise. The results were excellent, I wish this shifter was an option when buying the car, it’d be worth a few hundred extra for sure! It now has a direct mechanical feel vs the plasticy Fisher Price feel (which I was 100% OK with before ) and I think is more in keeping with the quality of the rest of the car. Bottom image is the replacement shifter the image directly below is the OEM. The plastic bearing connection is one of the main differences, plastic vs metal, as well as the direct connection to the transmission which is flexible/rubbery on the OEM shifter but had a very hard neoprene (I believe) on the Auto Solutions piece.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-20-2023, 02:08 PM   #2
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikemike View Post
... I wish this shifter was an option when buying the car, it’d be worth a few hundred extra for sure!
BMW used to offer M Performance short shift kits (and software tunes with optional increased cooling), but it seemed to only last 1 generation (E90 and E82 models). I was always curious why they stopped.

I had the short shift kit (and tune) and while it was nice to get it from the dealer, it wasn't as good as the AutoSolutions SSK (which I love).
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 02:44 PM   #3
maxcbrdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 535xiT; 2021 BMW M2C

Which bushings did you go with? 80a or 95a
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 03:11 PM   #4
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

The hardest he had…I believe, 80a+
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 05:41 PM   #5
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Garage List
How much did the install cost?

I’m not dying to do this mod, but SSK and exhaust are the only additional mods that I am interested in. Unfortunately, I have to replace my roof and my sliding doors at my house right before my 2022 tax bill, so those mods will be a tough sell to the wife.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 07:05 PM   #6
gotcurry
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Just had the short shift kit from Auto Solutions installed on the weekend, I reduced the throw by 22%. Prior to the installation I had some concerns about the increase in stiffness when shifting and noise. The results were excellent, I wish this shifter was an option when buying the car, it’d be worth a few hundred extra for sure! It now has a direct mechanical feel vs the plasticy Fisher Price feel (which I was 100% OK with before ) and I think is more in keeping with the quality of the rest of the car. Bottom image is the replacement shifter the image directly below is the OEM. The plastic bearing connection is one of the main differences, plastic vs metal, as well as the direct connection to the transmission which is flexible/rubbery on the OEM shifter but had a very hard neoprene (I believe) on the Auto Solutions piece.
Any NVH? I have a similar setup from him with medium bushings. After a long drive, I hear transmission noise in the cabin with windows up. He advised to add some weights to the shifter which I did and it seems to have fixed the issue for the most part. The shifter also doesn't sit exactly in the center for some odd reason. Other than that, the shifter feel is as good as it gets.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 07:10 PM   #7
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

It was $1000.00 including installation $636 for the part, labour included a CDV delete so not sure of the exact cost on the installation….
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 07:11 PM   #8
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I haven’t heard any NVH but only drove it ~60 miles…
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 07:15 PM   #9
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
It was $1000.00 including installation $636 for the part, labour included a CDV delete so not sure of the exact cost on the installation….
That’s less than I thought. I can swing that as a Father’s Day gift to myself.

Did you keep the stock shift knob?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 08:19 PM   #10
maxcbrdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The hardest he had…I believe, 80a+
Ok, hardest is the 95a and are blue. 80a are orange. I ordered mine with both as I couldn't make up my mind at the time. Looking to install this in the next week or so. Glad to hear you're enjoying it.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 10:21 PM   #11
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarrzhp View Post
That’s less than I thought. I can swing that as a Father’s Day gift to myself.

Did you keep the stock shift knob?
Yes….I’m happy with the stock knob, I’m sure you’ll love the feel. BTW, Don’t be shy on the percentage of throw reduction, I’m happy with 22.5%, and thought 25% might be too much, but 25% or 30% would have been great…
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 10:29 PM   #12
Ilikemike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcbrdriver View Post
Ok, hardest is the 95a and are blue. 80a are orange. I ordered mine with both as I couldn't make up my mind at the time. Looking to install this in the next week or so. Glad to hear you're enjoying it.
Yes, orange, a prezzie from my wife, thought I was getting the hardest but very happy with the final product. Ron mentioned that his hardest did give him some noise while going uphill and, I believe he said, while turning to the right… I’m an intermittent (NVH) hater so orange was a better bet for me, just in case. Good luck with the install 👍
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 07:17 AM   #13
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

You should add the Turner poly shifter bushing. Doesn't take a lot of effort to install yourself and if you already added the AS SSK, then you're 95% there to bliss

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 12:57 PM   #14
maxcbrdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_riffic View Post
You should add the Turner poly shifter bushing. Doesn't take a lot of effort to install yourself and if you already added the AS SSK, then you're 95% there to bliss
Just to caution ppl, Ron doesn't recommend stiffening the rear shifter bushing as it firms up the shifter's connection to the body vs the transmission. He told me to either retain the stock bushing or to open up the Turner bushing a bit. When I install the AS SSK I'll be reverting back to stock.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 01:11 PM   #15
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Interesting. Thankfully I don't have to reconsider since I have a CAE!

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2023, 11:32 PM   #16
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcbrdriver View Post
Just to caution ppl, Ron doesn't recommend stiffening the rear shifter bushing as it firms up the shifter's connection to the body vs the transmission. He told me to either retain the stock bushing or to open up the Turner bushing a bit. When I install the AS SSK I'll be reverting back to stock.
I recently sought some clarification from Ronald re this as I'd recently installed the Turner rear bushing and felt it gave a slight improvement to shifting (tighter but no more effort required) but it did introduce significant NVH especially gear whine during hard acceleration/deceleration. I've had the AS SSK around 3.5yrs, clutch stop since new (2 shims), Raceseng Circuit Sphere shift knob (had intermittent buzzing with oem knob after SSK install), CDV delete & Rogue trans mounts. Since installing the Turner bushing I've done a couple of 2-3 day trips to our alpine/high country and pushing hard on tight twisty roads the shifting has been faultless & imo better with it in. Initially I wasn't sure about the noise but the car isn't a daily commuter and now I actually like the whine, adds to the experience! (though with a window down the wind noise drowns out the gear whine).

Here is Ronald's reply: "I cannot comment on the current Turner poly bushing. the one that was given to me was a couple years old and I felt it held the back of the shifter arm too tightly therefore robbing control from the front setup. I recommended then to slightly enlarge the hole so that the bushing would act as a limiter rather than a controller. And theorized that it would work very well in that case except for the noise.

I drove such a bushing on an e46M3 in its tight form ( it was a generic blue poly bushing) and I felt it hurt the pattern rather than help it. it felt firmer but not as precise especially when pushed hard. So it sort of validated my theory. So for both noise and control reasons I felt it was not a positive .

However a tight rear bushing would likely work well if the rest of the mounts (motor mounts and gearbox mounts) were solid or close to solid. In such a case the whole drivetrain moves as one with the body and the rear bushing no longer controls the rear of the shift arm independently from its front

I hope this clarifies my position".
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2023, 12:12 PM   #17
maxcbrdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for additional info.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 07:09 PM   #18
omak81
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS Black/Black Manual

I purchased the 25% throw at stock height with the blue/bronze bushing which is the hardest I believe. Install is on the 14th so hopefully everything goes well and I don’t have any u wanted vibration and noise.

Will update afterwards.
2020 M2CS 6Speed-Black Sapphire Metallic - Black Style 763M
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 07:45 PM   #19
JD_M2D2
In the garage
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2CS

For anyone thinking of doing this mod, the installation is really not difficult. I've done it a few times with DadVibes and could probably get it done in about an hour or so. Just something to consider price-wise if that is preventing you from pulling the trigger. A 2nd set of hands is definitely helpful and makes it even easier. While you are there, great to do the CDV delete too.

I have mine built and on the way from Auto Solutions. I told Ronald I wanted something that felt OEM in terms of shifting difficulty (stiffness), but wanted a shorter throw and more precise shifting with minimal to no NVH, so he spec'd me out the attached:

Can't wait to get it installed!
Attached Images

03-28-2024, 11:48 AM   #20
MSH_
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
I recently sought some clarification from Ronald re this as I'd recently installed the Turner rear bushing and felt it gave a slight improvement to shifting (tighter but no more effort required) but it did introduce significant NVH especially gear whine during hard acceleration/deceleration. I've had the AS SSK around 3.5yrs, clutch stop since new (2 shims), Raceseng Circuit Sphere shift knob (had intermittent buzzing with oem knob after SSK install), CDV delete & Rogue trans mounts. Since installing the Turner bushing I've done a couple of 2-3 day trips to our alpine/high country and pushing hard on tight twisty roads the shifting has been faultless & imo better with it in. Initially I wasn't sure about the noise but the car isn't a daily commuter and now I actually like the whine, adds to the experience! (though with a window down the wind noise drowns out the gear whine)....
Digging up an old thread here all as I have a quick question on the AS SSK + the Turner rear bushing. I have had the Turner bushing in my M2C since December. It initially added noticeable NVH for the first couple of weeks but has since quieted down with use. I run the M Perf shift knob on my M2C.
I have had the AS SSK (80a+ Intermediate bushings) sitting in my garage since June/July of last year, so I'm finally going to get it installed along with doing the CDV delete. I don't have the Rogue trans mounts (yet). I'm torn on having my shop put the stock rear bushing back in vs leaving the Turner bushing installed. Now that you have had some time since installing the Turner rear bushing did you notice the NVH subside any after putting on some miles/hours?

Last edited by MSH_; 03-28-2024 at 11:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 08:43 AM   #21
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSH_ View Post
Digging up an old thread here all as I have a quick question on the AS SSK + the Turner rear bushing. I have had the Turner bushing in my M2C since December. It initially added noticeable NVH for the first couple of weeks but has since quieted down with use. I run the M Perf shift knob on my M2C.
I have had the AS SSK (80a+ Intermediate bushings) sitting in my garage since June/July of last year, so I'm finally going to get it installed along with doing the CDV delete. I don't have the Rogue trans mounts (yet). I'm torn on having my shop put the stock rear bushing back in vs leaving the Turner bushing installed. Now that you have had some time since installing the Turner rear bushing did you notice the NVH subside any after putting on some miles/hours?
No I’m pretty certain the nvh has not changed, have done 24K km since putting the Turner bushing in. I’d had the AS SSK for a long time before adding the Turner & imo the improvement it added was subtle. If noise will be an isssue I’d say put the oem rear bushing back in.
Appreciate 1
MSH_121.50