BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Take care of your interior boys

02-18-2021, 11:08 AM   #23
AxM2CS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E28 535i >E39 528iT >E39 540i6

Like the CS in general, the roof presents in person far better than on video. You see reflections, Moiré patterns, etc. from a digital camera. The checkerboard pattern is tight and dense. I love it. Only wish you could see it better in all light .. but per Artemis BMW did their best to lacquer the hell out of it so you wouldn't see any imperfections. And probably to protect it from premature delamination.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 11:46 AM   #24
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

is this the carbon fiber transmission tunnel that is advertised by bmw, it's kind of unclear. I have not found any under body pics
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 11:46 AM   #25
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bngcruiser View Post
I'm an OG M2 owner, really wanted to do a Carbon roof - but was incredibly intrigued and disappointed for me/excited for y'all to read the true engineering behind it.

Lol I love all the self CS love in here. Fuck the haters.
Love it! Nothing but love in here for the CS.

Haters will countered with facts and love. I feel the CS ownership is a special group like the E30 M3 ownership. Nothing but love baby. Let the legend grow.
Yeah the CS boards are going like full "tongue in cheek" making fun of the car. A lot of cool owners in here, clearly a special car for people that just love driving. Part of me wants to show up for the first CS tri state meet up in a Cayman GTS 4.0 somehow to cause a big laugh.

The people on this board have made me like owning the car even more.
Appreciate 2
ptgltw3779.50
Got f1?682.50
      02-18-2021, 11:54 AM   #26
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchdj View Post
is this the carbon fiber transmission tunnel that is advertised by bmw, it's kind of unclear. I have not found any under body pics
It looks to be a bmw part that is being resold.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 11:55 AM   #27
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
Not sure what you mean here. The M2 competition M Performance carbon roof is a full roof, not just a skin. You literally have to grind the welds off the existing roof to install it.
When BMW went with the roof rail setup (E46 was it?) the chassis strength was inherently compromised.

Not even the Almighty M4 GTS has the M2CS roof design.

Extend the meat of the roof out to the chassis and wahla. Brilliance and harkens back to old school E30 and E36 chassis feel.

I would love to have a chat with the designers of the car and get their take.

This is my amateur chassis engineer story and I'm sticking to it

Fast forward to 14:50 ish to see the underside of the roof. Too bad he didn't turn it over for a better understanding on how it fits. It appears on the underside the channel is filled in an tabs are used to further enhance the connection as they run across the seam line. Of course the top is smooth all the way to the perimeter.

Shmee150 said it was a structural part and he likely got that from the BMW engineers. Shmee is one of the more reliable youtubers spewing more fact than fiction.

Last edited by ptgltw; 02-18-2021 at 12:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 11:56 AM   #28
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Honestly, (and I'm not dogging the CS in anyway, I love the car), I'm not a fan of the roof. If they stuck to the traditional pattern that would have been preferred (for me).
I think it's a polarizing part. I love it. Mainly because it sticks out from the rest of the carbon fiber. On the flip side this is exactly the same reason that some hate it.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 01:49 PM   #29
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Shmee150 said...
Did you even just say that? Dude is a straight up idiot.
Appreciate 2
msmatt331.00
      02-18-2021, 02:05 PM   #30
Nettles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Yeah that made my day. There are much more credible auto journalists (not Youtubers) who make mistakes on factory specs. Ignorance can be bliss though I guess.
Appreciate 2
msmatt331.00
      02-18-2021, 03:48 PM   #31
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Quote:
Honestly, (and I'm not dogging the CS in anyway, I love the car), I'm not a fan of the roof. If they stuck to the traditional pattern that would have been preferred (for me).
I think it's a polarizing part. I love it. Mainly because it sticks out from the rest of the carbon fiber. On the flip side this is exactly the same reason that some hate it.
Yup. It's unique, that's for sure. To each their own
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 04:46 PM   #32
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
lol. Yes you mean the one who nabbed SSC for a false world record speed when no one else on the planet did.

Yeah that guy.
GimmeanM1448.50
MDuckie96.00
      02-18-2021, 04:48 PM   #33
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettles View Post
Yeah that made my day. There are much more credible auto journalists (not Youtubers) who make mistakes on factory specs. Ignorance can be bliss though I guess.
Yeah I haven't heard any "credible auto jounalist" show a picture of the roof yet and or discuss it yet. Just Shmee150.

I'll be happy if someone talks about it thou. I want to learn more.

You're right about most youtuber car reviewers being idiots thou. However I didn't see anyone else being invited by BMW to that private track session with CF roofs and center consoles laying around.
2taCoS279.00
Nettles764.00
MDuckie96.00
Jimjamz4599.50
      02-18-2021, 04:56 PM   #34
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Yeah, i also love that its not the same old CF pattern. Unpopular opinion, but I think the 'ol CF pattern is pretty played out. I just remember my friend's little brother buying a sheet of CF-look sticker sheet and covering most of his interior panels with it on his shitty Jeep Cherokee. Obviously there's a difference between the real deal and fake CF look stickers, but i dunno, my brain reads it as tacky now even though intellectually i know its a legit material. The checkerboard pattern on the CS roof though? That is mega cool IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 05:26 PM   #35
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
Yeah, i also love that its not the same old CF pattern. Unpopular opinion, but I think the 'ol CF pattern is pretty played out. I just remember my friend's little brother buying a sheet of CF-look sticker sheet and covering most of his interior panels with it on his shitty Jeep Cherokee. Obviously there's a difference between the real deal and fake CF look stickers, but i dunno, my brain reads it as tacky now even though intellectually i know its a legit material. The checkerboard pattern on the CS roof though? That is mega cool IMHO.
I'm with you. Carbon is way over done now. No offense to the CF lovers out there.

I would just rather paint all my regular CF body matching color except for the roof. It's amazing.
Moflow2484.50
      02-18-2021, 05:36 PM   #36
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
lol. Yes you mean the one who nabbed SSC for a false world record speed when no one else on the planet did.

Yeah that guy.
Lamer. He's nothing but an ad-patsy, and annoying as hell. If you can even stand to listen to him you certainly couldn't be a friend of mine.
Appreciate 4
ptgltw3779.50
msmatt331.00
2taCoS279.00
      02-18-2021, 07:23 PM   #37
MDuckie
Private
Rep
Drives: M2CS

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah that guy.
Lamer. He's nothing but an ad-patsy, and annoying as hell. If you can even stand to listen to him you certainly couldn't be a friend of mine.
I'm generally a lurker and tend to keep quiet but I do have to say, whatever thread I find you in it always tends to be you being negative about something.
Appreciate 1
MomoM3987.00
      02-18-2021, 07:26 PM   #38
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by deceptiv-cs View Post
IND has fair pricing...
What planet do you live on?

IND is like the corner market compared to a supermarket. Yeah, they have milk, at 3 times the price.

Don't get me wrong, I love IND...for research, but their prices are insane.
I was born at a time when corner stores were on every corner. I bought milk and was asked by the shopkeeper how my mum and dad were. As I grew older, they asked how school was, and later, how was my new bike.

It felt like we were family. It felt good.

The point in trying to make is this, I would rather pay $10 for a milk carton to go back to those days when we were treated as family by the corner store keeper.

If that's the price we have to pay IND to be treated like family, I for one am all in.

A good example of why, is their recent attitude with some CF interior parts which had been misquoted as a perfect fit by a forum member. When a second member ordered the part and found that not to be true, causing him to be very upset and unhappy to say the least, as I remember it, IND-Distribution went out of their way to remedy the situation.

La Familia
Jimjamz4599.50
MomoM3987.00
ptgltw3779.50
Davil6570.50
maxxfish323.50
      02-18-2021, 07:26 PM   #39
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

^agree totally about the negativity comment by a previous poster

Got an e92 M3 with the carbon roof and rear spoiler. Nice contrast. I was offered a BSM CS in my spec and declined because the carbon was not accentuated with that color combo. Looks super menacing though.

Quality carbon looks fantastic, cheap aftermarket not so much.....
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 08:11 PM   #40
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by deceptiv-cs View Post
IND has fair pricing...
What planet do you live on?

IND is like the corner market compared to a supermarket. Yeah, they have milk, at 3 times the price.

Don't get me wrong, I love IND...for research, but their prices are insane.
I was born at a time when corner stores were on every corner. I bought milk and was asked by the shopkeeper how my mum and dad were. As I grew older, they asked how school was, and later, how was my new bike.

It felt like we were family. It felt good.

The point in trying to make is this, I would rather pay $10 for a milk carton to go back to those days when we were treated as family by the corner store keeper.

If that's the price we have to pay IND to be treated like family, I for one am all in.

A good example of why, is their recent attitude with some CF interior parts which had been misquoted as a perfect fit by a forum member. When a second member ordered the part and found that not to be true, causing him to be very upset and unhappy to say the least, as I remember it, IND-Distribution went out of their way to remedy the situation.

La Familia
With you on this. In my experience IND give personal service and are accountable.

They also seem to be able to source some good and hard to get parts for Ms - both 3rd party and BMW.
Appreciate 2
      02-18-2021, 08:18 PM   #41
Sublime00
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Thank God these parts are priced high. Otherwise people would buy them for their non CS cars.

Reminds me of my Shelby Gt350R. If you had a regular GT350 and wanted the CF wheels and the CF rear spoiler from the R model? Better be coughing up $25 grand. That's not including the seats, decals, tires etc...

Kind of like the CS to the M2C. When you add up the cost of the parts to make it a CS, the CS clearly becomes a bargain at $86k.

M2C and Shelby Gt350 both great cars, just not the CS or the R model.
Lol. SMH
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 09:46 PM   #42
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Shmee150 said it was a structural part and he likely got that from the BMW engineers. Shmee is one of the more reliable youtubers spewing more fact than fiction.
I believe MR was there (Shmee's PA) and interviewed the M people, not Heather Small, the actual M people responsible for the car. He wrote an article for Bimmerpost covering this. It was a Q&A piece. I'm pretty sure it was covered in this.

Appreciate 2
ptgltw3779.50
      02-18-2021, 11:15 PM   #43
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownM View Post
^agree totally about the negativity comment by a previous poster

Got an e92 M3 with the carbon roof and rear spoiler. Nice contrast. I was offered a BSM CS in my spec and declined because the carbon was not accentuated with that color combo. Looks super menacing though.

Quality carbon looks fantastic, cheap aftermarket not so much.....
Interesting take, I hope you saw it in person. I've never owned a black car in my life until the CS, and thought the carbon stood out even more in black based on the contrast.

Intentionally sought out a black car over a white and blue.
Appreciate 1
ptgltw3779.50
      02-19-2021, 05:39 AM   #44
maxxfish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
With you on this. In my experience IND give personal service and are accountable.

They also seem to be able to source some good and hard to get parts for Ms - both 3rd party and BMW.
And they're also sponsors of this board, which means they pay for us to have the privilege of spewing out all this drivel!
Appreciate 2
ptgltw3779.50