BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > M2 differential and manual transmission fluid flush

07-09-2020, 02:44 PM   #23
2020M2Competition
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
Fuckers, and I put about 1000 miles on it since then, including hard driving. I am going on a rally this weekend. I need to find a place to get the correct stuff and do it myself. I assume it's a standard diff..., drain and fill plugs?
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ive/1VnXv9aQIq
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 02:48 PM   #24
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

The dealer that fucked mine up has the 992 in stock. Headed there now. Will also show them their mistake, but I'll unlikely be back to let them do anything.
      07-09-2020, 02:49 PM   #25
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020M2Competition View Post
Nice thanks, easy peasy.
      07-09-2020, 02:50 PM   #26
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by m20e3087 View Post
Called few local BMWs, all are saying 992 is the replacement for 988. So who knows. Going after market maybe another option.
Take a look at the oil Justin posted it ends in 992 but is still MSP/A, maybe they did update the p/n's for MSP/A. I was confused when you said 992 and thought that was saf-xj (edit- the p/n your dealer gave you does end in 992 but is saf-xj so it's incorrect, find the fluid that ends in 992 but is MSP/A, another reason why we should talk with full part nunbers), but if it is indeed MSP/A then you should be good.

Quote:
Fuckers, and I put about 1000 miles on it since then, including hard driving. I am going on a rally this weekend. I need to find a place to get the correct stuff and do it myself. I assume it's a standard diff..., drain and fill plugs?
Yes standard diff so remove the fill before the drain in case you cannot open the fill. You also have to replace the fill and drain bolts which sucks because they're like $8 each.

Quote:
This site also says 992 is replacement for 988. Is the 992 correct?

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Fluids/D...222365988.html

Thanks
Justin
The bmw etk still says 988 is the correct fluid, but if indeed the bottle is MSP/A you should be good.

But the weird thing is my dealer back in 2017 filled me up with 988 MSP/A, maybe the fluids part numbers have changed. Either way if it's MSP/A I think you should be ok.

I would buy twice the required amount to really flush out the diff, go ensure no traces of the previous fluid is left.

But if I was you I would go back to the dealer and give them hell, since you're driving a brand new m2C, and they messed up. Then at the very minimum I would get them to cover the fluid flush. Also keep an eye out for weird noises from you diff in case there was damage done.

Last edited by F87source; 07-09-2020 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 02:50 PM   #27
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Also I wanted to add on that it is absolutely mind blowing dealers are still making mistakes on this on procedure. I would also check the part numbers of your oil and oil filter to ensure there is no mess up. Because I know another common mess up is that the dealership will put a Mann hu816x (filter for common n55's and n54's) instead of a Mann hu8011z (filters for the m2 N55 and s55) filter.

Another piece of advice is not to leave the dealer until you check all of the part numbers to the bmw etk. I'm lucky enough that my dealer is really competent (and they know I'm crazy OCD so they graciously take good care of me) so I don't have to worry too much, even though I still really do not like dealerships at all because I'm worried they will mess up.

Lessons learned! This is my first BMW coming from a long line of Dodge's, and though I'm used to Dodge dealer incompetence, I assumed a higher level of competence from BMW. My mistake, won't happen again.

Thanks for the heads up!
      07-09-2020, 02:52 PM   #28
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep

Quote:
Take a look at the oil Justin posted it ends in 992 but is still MSP/A, maybe they did update the p/n's. I was confused when you said 992 and thought that was saf-xj, but if it is indeed MSP/A then you should be good.

Yes standard diff so remove the fill before the drain in case you cannot open the fill. You also have to replace the fill and drain bolts which sucks because they're like $8 each.

The bmw etk still says 988 is the correct fluid, but if indeed the bottle is MSP/A you should be good.

But the weird thing is my dealer back in 2017 filled me up with 988 MSP/A, maybe the fluids part numbers have changed. Either way if it's MSP/A I think you should be ok.

I would buy twice the required amount to really flush out the diff, go ensure no traces of the previous fluid is left.

But if I was you I would go back to the dealer and give them hell, since you're driving a brand new m2C, and they messed up. Then at the very minimum I would get them to cover the fluid flush. Also keep an eye out for weird noises from you diff in case there was damage done.

On my way now. Will report back what I find. I did ask them about the 988 part number and it isn't coming up in their system.
      07-09-2020, 02:53 PM   #29
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
The dealer that fucked mine up has the 992 in stock. Headed there now. Will also show them their mistake, but I'll unlikely be back to let them do anything.
You should be getting that fluid for free from them. It may not seem serious but imo it is very serious since these diffs are know to experience extreme wear and tear even on a fluid made for limited slip diffs (saf-xj + FM) I cannot even image what a non limited slip oil of the incorrect weight will do.

Hope you get this resolved.
JustinHEMI7441.00
      07-09-2020, 02:57 PM   #30
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Lessons learned! This is my first BMW coming from a long line of Dodge's, and though I'm used to Dodge dealer incompetence, I assumed a higher level of competence from BMW. My mistake, won't happen again.

Thanks for the heads up!
Nope it doesn't matter what brand, there are always idiots working at the dealership. Unless you get a master tech, but they're mostly doing the important jobs so unlikely they will be doing oil and fluid changes. Just be extra cautious.

Quote:
On my way now. Will report back what I find. I did ask them about the 988 part number and it isn't coming up in their system.
Yeah it sounds like MSP/A has a new p/n and etk isn't showing it yet. Just make sure it says MSP/A on the bottle.

And cool sounds good, make sure you tell the dealer it was their mistake and keep a photocopied service report in case the diff does fail so you have some ground to stand on.

They really should be compensating you.... It makes me mad just hearing how they messed up on such a simple job.
      07-09-2020, 03:00 PM   #31
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep

Quote:
Take a look at the oil Justin posted it ends in 992 but is still MSP/A, maybe they did update the p/n's. I was confused when you said 992 and thought that was saf-xj, but if it is indeed MSP/A then you should be good.

Just to clarify, the part number they used in mine ends with 972 vice 992.
      07-09-2020, 03:09 PM   #32
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Just to clarify, the part number they used in mine ends with 972 vice 992.
The last 3 digits really isn't helpful, what I did was google the entire part number on your service invoice you posted and that showed C-saf-xo. This fluid is not only the incorrect weight at 75w90, it is also made for non limited slip diffs which is really bad for a limited slip diff that needs the friction modifiers present in limited slip diff fluids to no experience excessive wear.

So yes your dealer messed up and they messed up badly. It wasn't even close, it's not like they added the FM variant of the saf-xj which could kind of qualify as a honest mistake as saf-xj + FM was used on the E9x m3, but they really messed up and didn't even put in a limited slip oil.
      07-09-2020, 03:11 PM   #33
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep

Gotcha, thanks.
      07-09-2020, 03:14 PM   #34
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Gotcha, thanks.
No worries, hope your issue gets resolved.
      07-09-2020, 03:23 PM   #35
m20e3087
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Here we go. F87source
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 03:25 PM   #36
m20e3087
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Sorry man, yeah they messed up for sure. I would have them put the correct one, so at least you will be covered if something goes wrong.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 03:25 PM   #37
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Here we go.
Thank you.

Yeah that is not the proper fluid for your car, but I have just learned that there may be a new P/N for MSP/A so you could call around asking for that particular number. If not bimmer world seems to stock it.

If you still cannot find MSP/A then I personally would go with syntrax.
      07-09-2020, 03:27 PM   #38
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Sorry man, yeah they messed up for sure. I would have them put the correct one, so at least you will be covered if something goes wrong.
+1

Yeah I would have a dealer flush it so it is on the invoice but make sure the invoice says "repair for incorrect fluid from before", but I would not go back to that dealer that messed up unless they let you watch them put the fluid in.

But if you are really in a rush to get the fluids changed for your event and cannot get the dealer to do it then just flush it yourself, I would want that crap out of there ASAP.
      07-09-2020, 03:51 PM   #39
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep

Quote:
Thank you.

Yeah that is not the proper fluid for your car, but I have just learned that there may be a new P/N for MSP/A so you could call around asking for that particular number. If not bimmer world seems to stock it.

If you still cannot find MSP/A then I personally would go with syntrax.

The 992 is not correct?
      07-09-2020, 03:53 PM   #40
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep

I'll update my situation when I get home.
      07-09-2020, 03:55 PM   #41
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
The 992 is not correct?
If it is 992 that is MSP/A then it should be correct.

But the person I was replying to was having difficulties finding MSP/A, so if he is unable to purchase it from bimmerworld and the dealer only has saf-xj which also ends in 992 then the next scenario is to buy castrol syntrax imo.

Essentially I am suggesting a flow path of what to get: if you can get MSP/A then go for it. If you live in an area where you cannot buy MSP/A at a dealer or even online then go for the alternative which I suggest being castrol syntrax (it should be ok according to the bmw tis).
JustinHEMI7441.00
      07-09-2020, 03:57 PM   #42
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2

JustinHEMI not sure where you've been having your car serviced but I'd recommend Bobby Rahal BMW. They've been mostly good to deal with and they always use the correct fluids on my car.
Appreciate 1
JustinHEMI7441.00
      07-09-2020, 04:45 PM   #43
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep

Quote:
Here we go. F87source
Quote:
If it is 992 that is MSP/A then it should be correct.

But the person I was replying to was having difficulties finding MSP/A, so if he is unable to purchase it from bimmerworld and the dealer only has saf-xj which also ends in 992 then the next scenario is to buy castrol syntrax imo.

Essentially I am suggesting a flow path of what to get: if you can get MSP/A then go for it. If you live in an area where you cannot buy MSP/A at a dealer or even online then go for the alternative which I suggest being castrol syntrax (it should be ok according to the bmw tis).
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHaze View Post
JustinHEMI not sure where you've been having your car serviced but I'd recommend Bobby Rahal BMW. They've been mostly good to deal with and they always use the correct fluids on my car.
Thanks for tip, that's a haul for me, but if it's done right, so be it.

OK on my situation, at first, the part guy was like "How do you know we put the wrong stuff in? We use your vin and put in what part numbers it pulls up."

As if the internet doesn't exist.

Anyway, I told him that the part number on the invoice is the way wrong part number for this car, being 75W90 especially. He said let me go enter your vin and check into it.

About 15 minutes goes by and both he and a manger came out and agreed the part number was wrong on the invoice. However, they said they did a count of their fluid inventory and was -1 on the correct part number, so suspected a clerical error on the invoice.

I said, "Well we have to be sure. This is a high performance piece of equipment, and I would like for you to give me the 4 quarts so that I can be sure."

The manager agreed, he couldn't guarantee one way or the other that the right fluid was in the diff. The parts guy asked why I needed 4, and I explained that I want to ensure that I flush the bad stuff out completely.

The manager agreed but he wanted to do it, in his words, "for warranty purposes."

I explained what I wanted them to do to ensure it's flushed properly, and he agreed. I also explained that I want it clearly documented why we're doing the flush for future warranty purposes, and that I want to see the bottles going in. He agreed and I am taking my car in at 0800 tomorrow.

All of that said, in regards to the other things quoted above,

I've done a bunch of googling and I get what you're saying about MSP/A, but the part number in the photos above is the part number coming up for my VIN. I'm going to let them put in the part number that comes up for my VIN for warranty purposes. I might switch it out later myself, but after some googling, I'm convinced that's the right part for US cars.

I am not so sure the bottle needs to say MSP/A on it.

Thoughts?

Here's a previous thread from here, for example.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1665392
      07-09-2020, 04:52 PM   #44
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep

I also noticed why there may be confusion about an MSP/A 992 part number.

We keep linking to the 992 part number here,

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Fluids/D...222365988.html

And you can see on the bottle in the photo it says MSP/A. However, if you zoom in on the part number, it is indeed the 988, the TIS part number.

The link nomenclature further adds to the confusing because it has 75W90 in the link text.

But it links to 83222357992 which is what is in the photos above and what I believe is going into my car tomorrow.

I don't think there is a 992 MSP/A part number.