BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Are any extended warranties worth it?

12-30-2020, 08:31 AM   #1
waktasz
Rep
Drives:

Are any extended warranties worth it?

Just picked up a 2017 m2 with just 8,000 miles on it. Warranty expires in 6 months or so. I've never bothered with extended warranties on any car before but I've also not had a BMW before. Are any of the third party plans worth the paper they are written on or is the BMW extended plan worth the money? I'm sure it's $$$ compared to third party, but I haven't gotten a quote yet.
Thx
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 05:23 AM   #2
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

BMW plan is quite expensive and on an N55 M2 I'm not quite sure it is worth it.

The best third party warranties are the "exclusionary" policies from Fidelity and Route66. There are a bunch of threads on them in the M3 section as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 09:31 AM   #3
waktasz
Rep
Drives:

This is an exlusionary plan from Fidelity. 5 years/60k miles for $2300. Covers everything except modifications, racing, and the things on this list

UNDER PLATINUM COVERAGE, ANY OF THE FOLLOWING PARTS: BRAKE LININGS, BRAKE DRUMS AND ROTORS, DISC BRAKE PADS, STANDARD MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH FRICTION DISC, PRESSURE PLATE, PILOT BEARING, THROW-OUT BEARING AND ARM, AIR BAGS, SOLAR POWERED DEVICES, GLASS, LENSES, SEALED BEAMS, BODY PARTS AND/OR PANELS, WEATHER STRIPPING, TRIM, MOLDINGS, LOCK CYLINDERS, TIRES, WHEELS, ALL BATTERIES EXCEPT HYBRID/EV/HYDROGEN HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERIES AS LISTED UNDER GOLD, LIGHT BULBS, UPHOLSTERY, PAINT, BRIGHT METAL, FREEZE PLUGS, FILTERS, HEATER AND RADIATOR HOSES, EXHAUST SYSTEM, CATALYTIC CONVERTER, SHOCK ABSORBERS, WORK SUCH AS FRONT-END ALIGNMENT OR WHEEL BALANCING (EXCEPT WHEN REQUIRED IN CONJUNCTION WITH A MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN), SAFETY RESTRAINT SYSTEMS, AUDIO/SECURITY OR OTHER SYSTEMS NOT FACTORY INSTALLED, OR VINYL AND CONVERTIBLE TOPS;
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 10:15 AM   #4
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by waktasz View Post
This is an exlusionary plan from Fidelity. 5 years/60k miles for $2300. Covers everything except modifications, racing, and the things on this list

UNDER PLATINUM COVERAGE, ANY OF THE FOLLOWING PARTS: BRAKE LININGS, BRAKE DRUMS AND ROTORS, DISC BRAKE PADS, STANDARD MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH FRICTION DISC, PRESSURE PLATE, PILOT BEARING, THROW-OUT BEARING AND ARM, AIR BAGS, SOLAR POWERED DEVICES, GLASS, LENSES, SEALED BEAMS, BODY PARTS AND/OR PANELS, WEATHER STRIPPING, TRIM, MOLDINGS, LOCK CYLINDERS, TIRES, WHEELS, ALL BATTERIES EXCEPT HYBRID/EV/HYDROGEN HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERIES AS LISTED UNDER GOLD, LIGHT BULBS, UPHOLSTERY, PAINT, BRIGHT METAL, FREEZE PLUGS, FILTERS, HEATER AND RADIATOR HOSES, EXHAUST SYSTEM, CATALYTIC CONVERTER, SHOCK ABSORBERS, WORK SUCH AS FRONT-END ALIGNMENT OR WHEEL BALANCING (EXCEPT WHEN REQUIRED IN CONJUNCTION WITH A MECHANICAL BREAKDOWN), SAFETY RESTRAINT SYSTEMS, AUDIO/SECURITY OR OTHER SYSTEMS NOT FACTORY INSTALLED, OR VINYL AND CONVERTIBLE TOPS;
So, pretty much only covers catastrophic engine or drivetrain failure, and electronics?

Mods aren't covered but if an engine pops while running a tune and having FBO + HPFP installed, is engine failure covered?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 11:02 AM   #5
waktasz
Rep
Drives:

It says anything that would void the factory warranty would void this warranty...so I think a Dinan tune would be ok but other tunes, probably not.
Appreciate 1
ZM22810.50
      01-02-2021, 11:03 AM   #6
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
It says anything that would void the factory warranty would void this warranty...so I think a Dinan tune would be ok but other tunes, probably not.
Well, that rules out like 90% of people here.

Thanks for digging into it.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2021, 09:33 PM   #7
Brokenbones
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2c and S2000

No. Just don’t. Warranties are written to make money in nearly all cases. Unless you have a frequent high risk problem and can verify with high degree of certainty the insurance will cover said problem, most people are better of putting some spare money in the piggy bank for a cloudy day.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2021, 04:05 PM   #8
CannibalOx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenbones View Post
No. Just don’t. Warranties are written to make money in nearly all cases. Unless you have a frequent high risk problem and can verify with high degree of certainty the insurance will cover said problem, most people are better of putting some spare money in the piggy bank for a cloudy day.
This!! Anything that a company would push as hard as extended warranties is generally better for them not you.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 11:06 AM   #9
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Dinan voids the factory warranty. Dinan gives you their own warranty that says they will cover an issue caused by their tune if bmw won't cover it.
Appreciate 0