Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2guru View Post
One of the variables that seems to be required for it to activate is that the throttle needs to be being applied when it triggers.
It's actually the opposite; it doesn't activate if your foot is on the gas pedal because it assumes you're paying attention..

When you're off the throttle and car senses you're rolling into another vehicle or pedestrian above 40mph, it just warns you with a red/orange display car icon and distinctive beeping sound..

Under 40mph, it warns you with visually and audibly, if you don't react, it does light braking to automatically stop the vehicle and mitigate any damage.

Both speeds preps the vehicle for any emergency stop by tightening up the seat belt, priming the brakes and flashing the Adaptive Brake lights..

More in-depth details about this feature is stored on the vehicle's iDrive user manual for your convenience.
Works absolutely fantastic.

Basically the car made me feel absolutely like a rock star.

Saved me doing 40 mph, Deer jumped across the road leaving no time to react.
      11-14-2018, 09:37 AM   #24
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

You guys remember the early days of anti-lock brakes on cars? They'd been around on aircraft and trucks for decades, but went mainstream on cars back in the '70s I think. I'm unfortunately old enough to remember the backlash and outcry against them, because of how intrusive the brake pulsing felt against your foot when the system engaged, and there was concern that they'd be expensive to maintain and that people would spend fortunes keeping them operational. There was even some insurance institute study claiming they saw no difference in claim data from cars with them vs. without, but who knows if their study and data were legit or they too were just concerned about the increased repair costs of wrecked cars with ABS systems. But the car mags and driving schools would have demonstration after demonstration, with experienced and pro drivers, and none of them could ever demonstrate stopping distances as short in cars without ABS as cars with ABS. Humans just couldn't pump the brakes as fast, and maintain directional stability as consistently, as the ABS system could. But the debate continued for years. Who here would buy an M car without ABS today, even if you could?

I'm not suggesting these add-on collision avoidance systems are the same as ABS in terms of necessity or function, it's just food for thought.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      11-15-2018, 12:52 PM   #25
x7289155
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

i have mine on EARLY WARNING.

i get a CAR IN RED icon on the dash often, never had the brakes activating.

i dont mind it, the light comes on and flash for couple seconds and it does not do anyhting

i think it only activates the brakes if it did not sense any feedback from the driver while the light is on. there is a grace period, however, if the car senses that the steering wheel position is changing or you are braking, it will not activate the brakes.

it's a pretty neat system.
      11-15-2018, 01:49 PM   #26
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

I drive a MT and never had it apply the brake. I have seen the warning light come on a few times, and the audible sound only once or twice (when it was really close). So fairly unobtrusive so far (latest setting).

On the track I have to disable it every session, but sometimes midsession I'll realize the warning light comes on and then I have to fiddle with it on a straight, but so far no automatic braking.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 07:34 PM   #27
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyang92 View Post
I drive a MT and never had it apply the brake. I have seen the warning light come on a few times, and the audible sound only once or twice (when it was really close). So fairly unobtrusive so far (latest setting).

On the track I have to disable it every session, but sometimes midsession I'll realize the warning light comes on and then I have to fiddle with it on a straight, but so far no automatic braking.
Yes, my experience is same prior to my istep update which reset everything, I had it set to the lowest setting and aside from the odd flashing red image, it was not intrusive at all and have never had the brakes apply. After update, with it in the default setting, brakes have activated 3x. Twice entering garage lol and once in traffic.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 08:40 AM   #28
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

[QUOTE=Poochie;23982086]
Quote:
It would create a hazard to auto-brake a car at such a reasonable higher speed.
My F01 750i does brake at high speeds. Scares the poo-poo out of me. Like the OP, I was changing lanes on the highway when it happened (twice so far). I rarely remember to turn it off, since unlike F87_LCI with his 7-step start-off procedure, for the F01 it's:
- put car in D
- push go pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_LCI View Post
Hey BMW, I already have collision/lane departure nannies...they're called eyes.
LOL, true dat!

Quote:
All of this tech is creating lazy drivers.
Yes, again I agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7289155 View Post
i think it only activates the brakes if it did not sense any feedback from the driver while the light is on.
Again, I can only speak from experience in the F01, but I was changing lanes when it determined that I was about to crash. Which, admittedly, I would have if I weren't changing lanes.

Haven't had it go off (auto braking) on the M2 yet because I'm driving it more carefully as it's still a new car and I'm carefully breaking it in, or I remember to turn it off. Have had the visual altert pop up once or twice though.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 02:14 PM   #29
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

[QUOTE=LuvMyE92;23998629]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
It would create a hazard to auto-brake a car at such a reasonable higher speed.
My F01 750i does brake at high speeds. Scares the poo-poo out of me. Like the OP, I was changing lanes on the highway when it happened (twice so far). I rarely remember to turn it off, since unlike F87_LCI with his 7-step start-off procedure, for the F01 it's:
- put car in D
- push go pedal

Quote:
Hey BMW, I already have collision/lane departure nannies...they're called eyes.
LOL, true dat!

Quote:
All of this tech is creating lazy drivers.
Yes, again I agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7289155 View Post
i think it only activates the brakes if it did not sense any feedback from the driver while the light is on.
Again, I can only speak from experience in the F01, but I was changing lanes when it determined that I was about to crash. Which, admittedly, I would have if I weren't changing lanes.

Haven't had it go off (auto braking) on the M2 yet because I'm driving it more carefully as it's still a new car and I'm carefully breaking it in, or I remember to turn it off. Have had the visual altert pop up once or twice though.
Your F01 has Adaptive Cruise control correct?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 01:11 PM   #30
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Yes, and I despise it, rarely use it. You think that's why the CA might work differently?
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 01:53 PM   #31
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
Yes, and I despise it, rarely use it. You think that's why the CA might work differently?
Correct. ACC + KAFAS has different intervention parameters than KAFAS alone. 2 major differences are the Deceleration Rates and Operating Speed/Closure Rate thresholds.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 10:02 AM   #32
X54TH
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Garage List
My son just upgraded from a 2016 M235 to a 2018 M2. He gets it on Saturday. I didn't get a chance to ask if the M2 is any different to the M235. Obviously it has the collision warning and braking. Does it have lane correction or does it just vibrate? Does the dynamic cruise control keep distance in addition to speed? We are also getting a new G05 (2019 X5) which I heavily optioned and has a lot intervention. Just curious how far they have gone with this 2018 M2.
2021 330i XDrive Alpine White M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 10:15 AM   #33
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

I'm fairly certain my car (built August 2017) does not have this feature. For which - based on the descriptions in the thread - I am grateful...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 10:54 AM   #34
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X54TH View Post
My son just upgraded from a 2016 M235 to a 2018 M2. He gets it on Saturday. I didn't get a chance to ask if the M2 is any different to the M235. Obviously it has the collision warning and braking. Does it have lane correction or does it just vibrate? Does the dynamic cruise control keep distance in addition to speed? We are also getting a new G05 (2019 X5) which I heavily optioned and has a lot intervention. Just curious how far they have gone with this 2018 M2.
It just vibrates.
      12-09-2018, 10:54 AM   #35
X54TH
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eDrive View Post
Quote:
It just vibrates.
Thanks. Sounds like it's identical to his M235.
2021 330i XDrive Alpine White M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 01:53 PM   #36
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It just vibrates.
Thanks. Sounds like it's identical to his M235.
Same safety suite, but otherwise a much, much better car.

You might have to borrow it from time to time.

12-09-2018, 03:28 PM   #37
X54TH
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I figured so.

I "really" enjoyed taking his M235 (w/ MPE) out on occasion. it always put a smile on my face. Haven't driven the M2 so I trust it will produce that same reaction. Really looking forward to driving it on Saturday.

Last edited by X54TH; 12-09-2018 at 07:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 07:05 PM   #38
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:

I figured so.

I "really" enjoyed taking his M235 (w/ MPE) out on occasion. it always put a smile on my face. Haven't driven the M2 so I trust I trust it will produce that same reaction. Really looking for to driving it on Saturday.
The M2 simply has more character.

Enjoy !!
      12-09-2018, 09:55 PM   #39
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
I have both vehicles...2018 F87 and 2019 G05. Both have lane departure and collision avoidance. The lane departure can be disabled on both vehicles, and it only vibrates the steering wheel on the M2, while the X5 actually jerks the steering wheel and puts you back in the lane...actually kinda surprised me the first time it happened...and I immediately disabled it as I did in the M2. The good thing is that once disabled, it stays disabled, in both cars. The collision avoidance can be disabled in the M2, but you have to press the button every time you start the car to disable it - now muscle memory for me. I haven't figured out how to completely disable the CA in the X5 as yet. You can set the sensitivity down to low, but you can't shut it off it seems. Also strange is that the auto start stop in the M2 can be turned off and the car will remember the last setting, so you don't have to do it every time you start the car...not so in the X5. You have to press the button to turn it off every time you start the car...annoying. If I wanted any of this crap, I would have bought a Tesla. Annoys me that these are "standard" or included with option packages containing stuff I actually want, and then I'm paying for it. I WANT to drive the car, it's why I bought a BMW in the first place!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 03:22 AM   #40
X54TH
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have both vehicles...2018 F87 and 2019 G05. Both have lane departure and collision avoidance. The lane departure can be disabled on both vehicles, and it only vibrates the steering wheel on the M2, while the X5 actually jerks the steering wheel and puts you back in the lane...actually kinda surprised me the first time it happened...and I immediately disabled it as I did in the M2. The good thing is that once disabled, it stays disabled, in both cars. The collision avoidance can be disabled in the M2, but you have to press the button every time you start the car to disable it - now muscle memory for me. I haven't figured out how to completely disable the CA in the X5 as yet. You can set the sensitivity down to low, but you can't shut it off it seems. Also strange is that the auto start stop in the M2 can be turned off and the car will remember the last setting, so you don't have to do it every time you start the car...not so in the X5. You have to press the button to turn it off every time you start the car...annoying. If I wanted any of this crap, I would have bought a Tesla. Annoys me that these are "standard" or included with option packages containing stuff I actually want, and then I'm paying for it. I WANT to drive the car, it's why I bought a BMW in the first place!!!
Very true, most of us by a BMW because we thoroughly enjoy driving them. I think if the cars become autonomous, you might as well take an UBER that will be autonomous...that's coming.

I'll get the BMW Genius to thoroughly take us through the M2 to better understand the features and the ability to adjust or disable. I know he hates that stuff in rush hour traffic.

Hey, appreciate the heads up on the G05. I know our F15 stays off when we hit button. My wife hates the Start / Stop feature. I'll have to see if that can be coded.

As for the CA / LD, I hear a lot on the G05 Forum how these features almost caused accidents as the car misinterpreted the road / situation.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 07:04 AM   #41
randyt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 MGM 6MT M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Interesting.

When I first got my M2 I got a little steering vibration and had collision avoidance kick in 2 times. First time it surprised me & I wasn't sure what happened. Second time I forced it into action intentionally just to be sure. Since that time, I have not had collision avoidance kick in at all. I occasionally notice the wheel vibration when I get lazy and don't use the signals.

Regardless, I certainly do not feel like the automated systems are driving the car.

While I focus on driving when behind the wheel, I'm not beyond screwing up so I leave them on while on the road.
Appreciate 1
///M Houbi1653.00
      12-10-2018, 11:13 AM   #42
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Guys, this is an alert system, there is nothing autonomous about it. It does not "apply the brakes" it essentially taps the brakes to set the pads and reduce braking distance. I have had it happen 3 times and don't like it but it is not autonomous in any way. The first time it catches you off guard (all three times there was no obstacle) it scrubs a tiny bit of speed but nothing of significance if your on the accelerator. If you're already on your brakes it is not an issue of course. I did take my car in to get the system recalibrated and since then I have not had any brakes taps and only a couple of alerts. These camera systems suck, my wife's Accord alerts constantly.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 04:28 PM   #43
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Guys, this is an alert system, there is nothing autonomous about it. It does not "apply the brakes" it essentially taps the brakes to set the pads and reduce braking distance. I have had it happen 3 times and don't like it but it is not autonomous in any way. The first time it catches you off guard (all three times there was no obstacle) it scrubs a tiny bit of speed but nothing of significance if your on the accelerator. If you're already on your brakes it is not an issue of course. I did take my car in to get the system recalibrated and since then I have not had any brakes taps and only a couple of alerts. These camera systems suck, my wife's Accord alerts constantly.
I don't know about it simply 'scrubbing' some speed off...just last night, pulling into my garage, it again kicked in and it pulled me right off my seat back. Every instance it's kicked in for me has been a relatively violent event. Perhaps it's because I'm never expecting it but pretty jarring nonetheless.
It's at its least intrusive setting already so I'm seriously considering disabling it but knowing my luck....
Perhaps I'll do what u did and try to get it recalibrated...
Appreciate 0