BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > City Life Problems: Proper Winter Storage

11-05-2018, 02:00 PM   #1
TheAMackAttack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 LBB DCT

City Life Problems: Proper Winter Storage

Hi all - I live in a condo building with an underground garage. Since I spent a boatload on my CPO M2 and then PPF and ceramic coating, I'm opting not to buy winter tires / wheels this year. Due to this, I'm expecting that I won't be able to drive my M2 for several months and it will just sit in my garage, which is owned by my building but is operated by Standard Parking (who also use the garage to park cars for nearby businesses and events). While the garage has assured me that we can tuck the car away and cover it for as long as I want, it doesn't sound like they can guarantee me an outlet to plug a trickle charger in, so I'm trying to figure out the best way to store the car for several months without the battery dying.
  • - How long will a battery in our M2's last just sitting there?
    - Is simply disconnecting the battery for the duration of the winter a viable option? All threads on this forum seem to suggest that it's not recommended...
    - If the battery is disconnected, how do you open the trunk or hood to re-install or re-connect everything when spring finally comes?

I apologize if this belongs in another section, I just wanted to get as many eyes on it as possible. Had no definitive answers from all of the searches I ran...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 02:12 PM   #2
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Why not go to the car once or twice a week to start it and drive it around the parking lot? That would be much better than letting it sit, because you have to worry about more than the battery... getting flat spots on tires, fuel going bad, condensation build up, etc.

Last edited by Anthony1s; 11-05-2018 at 02:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 02:29 PM   #3
hshot_rooke
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Why not go to the car once or twice a week to start it and drive it around the parking lot? That would be much better than letting it sit, because you have to worry about more than the battery... getting flat spots on tires, fuel going bad, condensation build up, etc.
I did this last winter. Parked in a rented spot and would start it up every week or two and drove around for 15-20 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 02:48 PM   #4
dtmurf
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
That is what I'm planning to do. I'm going to take it on one more road trip next week, maybe 600 km or so, and then I'm going park it in a storage unit with a car cover. I can't find a heated unit anywhere near me but it's still the best option for my personnel situation. I plan on 'visiting' every two to three weeks to take it for a run weather permitting. I'll probably put some fuel save in a full tank and maybe put a little extra air in the tires but I'm leaving the battery connected.

I don't know how long the battery will last but I'm guessing not that long, three weeks, maybe a month?

My daughter had a Kia Soul in storage for almost 8 months, it started on the second turn of the key!
      11-05-2018, 02:58 PM   #5
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

I got my car last December. Drove it home and straight into the garage. Let it sit there until April - started it and let it run for 10 minutes or so a few times. No issues. Plan to do same this year.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 02:58 PM   #6
TheAMackAttack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hshot_rooke View Post
I did this last winter. Parked in a rented spot and would start it up every week or two and drove around for 15-20 minutes.
Did you drive it outside? I was under the impression anything under 40 degrees Fahrenheit would potentially damage the tires?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 03:03 PM   #7
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAMackAttack View Post
Did you drive it outside? I was under the impression anything under 40 degrees Fahrenheit would potentially damage the tires?
Under 40 doesn't damage the tires. You just lose grip in cold weather.
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910931.00
      11-05-2018, 03:45 PM   #8
TheAMackAttack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Research I've done would indicate that summer tires could crack in colder temps. Now obviously I don't know how likely that would be, but I'd prefer not to risk it if there are better alternatives to keep the battery juiced all winter...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 04:03 PM   #9
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

You're going to be buying winter wheels and tires eventually anyway next year right? Might as well find a way to get them now that way you can use the car and not have a battery problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 04:11 PM   #10
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Research I've done would indicate that summer tires could crack in colder temps. Now obviously I don't know how likely that would be, but I'd prefer not to risk it if there are better alternatives to keep the battery juiced all winter...
You are right if temperatures get to zero or colder and the car is driven. In Seattle it never gets cold enough to crack the tires. But I sure wouldn't use them in North Dakota.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11462.50
      11-05-2018, 05:26 PM   #11
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Unrelated, but I'm in a crappy situation this winter. My M2 was in an accident Sept 2nd and won't be finished with repairs until December. Then gotta wait 45-60 days for paint to cure before the Xpel can be re-applied. I don't have a garage, so it's gonna sit outside exposed to the elements unless I can find one to rent. So I'm scared the paint is gonna get damaged during curing. After it's the paint is cure, it gets Xpel reapplied and is getting coilovers at the same time... so figure 2 weeks for that work to get done. Then going to get tint reapplied because I wanna switch to 20%, that takes two days.

So with all that, I don't even know if I'll need to buy winter tires this year. Seems like I won't be driving my car until March. Kinda disappointing because I was looking forward to taking it to a parking lot during snow, so I can get a feel for how it drives in that situation.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 05:32 PM   #12
RAM_F30_F87
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT; 2012 328i 6MT

Garage List
Don't forget to check with your insurance company. Mine gives me a reduced rate during the 3 months of winter storage.
Although I only use Shell V-Power NiTRO+ Premium Gasoline, I add the following to a fresh full tank of gas and change the oil and filter before storing.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Chevron-T...10-oz/16647989

Other winter storage info:
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=34
https://www.bmwcca.org/forum/index.p...e-blues.11616/
https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/Mice-in-Your-Motor
The following is mentioned in various reviews if critters are a problem:
https://mouseblocker.com/products/
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1211.00
      11-05-2018, 05:36 PM   #13
JRF
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GTS (NSX, M2, e92 gone)

sleepy time

I think mine is in hibernation for the winter. I might get one more quick weekend drive out of her later this month. the amount of salt and brine they put on the roads in my AO is nuts.

I just bought the BMW OEM battery charger and I plugged it in after not having driven the car for 3 weeks and it registered a 2/5. i left it overnight and it came up to 5/5 in about 24 hours.

I put a few ounces of Stabil in a fresh tank of gas and plan to plug it in for 48 hours every month.

I have had my car for 10 weeks and only have 300 miles on it. I guess the 1200 mile initial service is going to have to wait until May 2019.

Quote:
Hi all - I live in a condo building with an underground garage. Since I spent a boatload on my CPO M2 and then PPF and ceramic coating, I'm opting not to buy winter tires / wheels this year. Due to this, I'm expecting that I won't be able to drive my M2 for several months and it will just sit in my garage, which is owned by my building but is operated by Standard Parking (who also use the garage to park cars for nearby businesses and events). While the garage has assured me that we can tuck the car away and cover it for as long as I want, it doesn't sound like they can guarantee me an outlet to plug a trickle charger in, so I'm trying to figure out the best way to store the car for several months without the battery dying.
  • - How long will a battery in our M2's last just sitting there?
    - Is simply disconnecting the battery for the duration of the winter a viable option? All threads on this forum seem to suggest that it's not recommended...
    - If the battery is disconnected, how do you open the trunk or hood to re-install or re-connect everything when spring finally comes?

I apologize if this belongs in another section, I just wanted to get as many eyes on it as possible. Had no definitive answers from all of the searches I ran...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 06:56 PM   #14
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Theoretically can't you let your battery die and charge it once spring comes without any negative effects on the battery?

From what I remember, it's heat that kills batteries. The heat from the summer makes them less capable of holding a good charge, so when winter comes and you need cold cranking amps... they aren't there.

I guess this doesn't solve the problem of needing to open the trunk to get to the battery to charge it. You can use your key to open the driver's door, but I don't think there is a way to fold down the back seats to get to the trunk from the inside. You would have to fold down the seats beforehand.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 10:14 PM   #15
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

You can connect a booster pack (or another car by booster cables) to the ports under the hood. That gets the car powered up and you can get into the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 12:21 AM   #16
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Unrelated, but I'm in a crappy situation this winter. My M2 was in an accident Sept 2nd and won't be finished with repairs until December. Then gotta wait 45-60 days for paint to cure before the Xpel can be re-applied. I don't have a garage, so it's gonna sit outside exposed to the elements unless I can find one to rent. So I'm scared the paint is gonna get damaged during curing. After it's the paint is cure, it gets Xpel reapplied and is getting coilovers at the same time... so figure 2 weeks for that work to get done. Then going to get tint reapplied because I wanna switch to 20%, that takes two days.

So with all that, I don't even know if I'll need to buy winter tires this year. Seems like I won't be driving my car until March. Kinda disappointing because I was looking forward to taking it to a parking lot during snow, so I can get a feel for how it drives in that situation.
I don't think the paint will get damaged by being outside, and it will cure faster in the warm sun. Your issue would be rock chips when driving it before PPF.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 04:58 AM   #17
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Negative. Not the ones on the M2. It is the ultra high perf ones that are cup2 or whatever.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 06:17 AM   #18
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Get a proper self park parking spot....don't park in those terrible valet places. There are tons of self park garages in every city. Then get yourself a battery tender and you're set...

I drive my car all winter but still never park in those valet places they are terrible. They even move around people's cars often; avoid!!! My building in Brooklyn also has one of those but I rent a spot down the street that's self park. Worth it.
      11-06-2018, 09:28 AM   #19
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I don't think the paint will get damaged by being outside, and it will cure faster in the warm sun. Your issue would be rock chips when driving it before PPF.
I'm thinking it'll get swirl marks when I clean off the snow from the bristles on the brush.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 10:59 AM   #20
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm thinking it'll get swirl marks when I clean off the snow from the bristles on the brush.
oh yeah good point. I'm not familiar with snow on the car but maybe there is a better technique or tool. Could you store it at a friends place where it won't get covered with snow?

It could always be paint corrected before PPF I guess if need be.

Last edited by akkando; 11-06-2018 at 12:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 01:20 PM   #21
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
oh yeah good point. I'm not familiar with snow on the car but maybe there is a better technique or tool. Could you store it at a friends place where it won't get covered with snow?

Also am afraid any ice scrapping against the paint and scratching it.

I don't have friends, so no. But my mechanic will let me store it at his garage. He charges $25 a day, so I might do it only when it snows until he can put the PPF back on.

Don't really want to spend money on paint correction after the car was painted. Would rather try to prevent any damage. It's like I'm dumping more and more of my own money into this car for an accident I in no way caused.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 02:12 PM   #22
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Quote:

Also am afraid any ice scrapping against the paint and scratching it.

I don't have friends, so no. But my mechanic will let me store it at his garage. He charges $25 a day, so I might do it only when it snows until he can put the PPF back on.

Don't really want to spend money on paint correction after the car was painted. Would rather try to prevent any damage. It's like I'm dumping more and more of my own money into this car for an accident I in no way caused.
You peeps need to man up!

It's a car not a fragile glass exhibit that cannot be touched!!

:P