BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Fun Facts about the M2 (please contribute)

11-06-2018, 11:50 AM   #199
DarthFader
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, F23 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
Maybe it's just my car but I find that even in "Early" the warning light doesn't come on soon enough.
There's no warning until about 3m (~10 feet) behind the car in front of me. I don't know what this warning is for. I don't think it's safe for me to take my eyes off the fast approaching rear fender in front of me, and look down on the dashboard to see a red warning icon. There is no sound.
If the car is going to brake itself (I have not tested that yet), I'd like it to start braking sooner, and not a big panic stop and cause the car behind me to rear end me.
Is there further adjustment for this other than the Early/Late setting?
I think the sound will only happen if you're approaching a car fast and it thinks you might rear end the car in front. If you're pacing a car closely it won't make a sound.

I've had the system intervene once for me and it made a definite attention getting sound.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 07:37 PM   #200
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Likely a feature that is stock deactivated for a region-related reason (regulations / liability).

But, on the other hand, the US-spec M2 also has features that are not available on the EURO-spec M2 (which is different than deactivated coding). For example:

Attachment 1931183
Attachment 1931182
Attachment 1931184
so your saying euro cant open the trunk from inside the car?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 10:49 PM   #201
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
so your saying euro cant open the trunk from inside the car?
AFAIK EURO-spec M2 can unlock the trunk (but it won't flip open):
  • by pushing the tailgate button on the remote control;
  • by pushing the opening button on the remote control;
  • by pushing the central locking system button located under the hazard warning system button when the car doors are locked.
Also, unlike the US-spec M2, the remote control of the EURO-spec M2 doesn't feature a 'Panic Mode' button.
Name:  SmartSelect_20181107-055616_Drive.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  50.0 KB
Name:  SmartSelect_20181107-055351_Drive.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  68.1 KB
      11-07-2018, 05:13 PM   #202
magha
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 AW 6 spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthFader View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
Maybe it's just my car but I find that even in "Early" the warning light doesn't come on soon enough.
There's no warning until about 3m (~10 feet) behind the car in front of me. I don't know what this warning is for. I don't think it's safe for me to take my eyes off the fast approaching rear fender in front of me, and look down on the dashboard to see a red warning icon. There is no sound.
If the car is going to brake itself (I have not tested that yet), I'd like it to start braking sooner, and not a big panic stop and cause the car behind me to rear end me.
Is there further adjustment for this other than the Early/Late setting?
I think the sound will only happen if you're approaching a car fast and it thinks you might rear end the car in front. If you're pacing a car closely it won't make a sound.

I've had the system intervene once for me and it made a definite attention getting sound.
Can attest to the warning beep! came on during first day of driving

18 M2 6 Spd AW - VRSF DP / CP & Race FMIC, ER TIC & GFB DV+ with BM3 Stage 2
Retired 09 135 JB4 G5 ISO w/BEF, N54 Tuning Performance DPs, BMS DCI, ER Charge Pipe
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 05:32 PM   #203
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
AFAIK EURO-spec M2 can unlock the trunk (but it won't flip open):
  • by pushing the tailgate button on the remote control;
  • by pushing the opening button on the remote control;
  • by pushing the central locking system button located under the hazard warning system button when the car doors are locked.
Also, unlike the US-spec M2, the remote control of the EURO-spec M2 doesn't feature a 'Panic Mode' button.
Attachment 1931951
Attachment 1931949
The us version trunk doesnt flip open either
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 07:00 PM   #204
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by arquitecto View Post
I found a way to create unlimited Burbles and Pops. I tested in Sport+ and was easily able to repeat it every time.

When decelerating and the car begins to drop rpms just past the last “Burble” you need to give the accelerator a quick tap and release. This needs to be barely enough to depress the pedal, it should not cause the car to accelerate but it should cause a split second of rev holding and causes the burbles to begin again. You should hear the accelerator pedal click from tapping and releasing it so fast.

You can repeat this as many times as you want by tapping again as the burbles stop. I am able to carry on for 10-15 seconds just burbling and popping down the street.

This is with standard exhaust and Sport+

Please someone try this and see if you are able to repeat this too
Digging this one back up. Thanks for the tip. Works like a charm and sounds awesome with the MPE. I feel guilty and immature when I do it but I just can't resist
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2018, 07:51 PM   #205
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
I found a way to create unlimited Burbles and Pops. I tested in Sport+ and was easily able to repeat it every time.
When decelerating and the car begins to drop rpms just past the last “Burble” you need to give the accelerator a quick tap and release. This needs to be barely enough to depress the pedal, it should not cause the car to accelerate but it should cause a split second of rev holding and causes the burbles to begin again. You should hear the accelerator pedal click from tapping and releasing it so fast.
You can repeat this as many times as you want by tapping again as the burbles stop. I am able to carry on for 10-15 seconds just burbling and popping down the street.
This is with standard exhaust and Sport+
Please someone try this and see if you are able to repeat this too
Also in SPORT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
Digging this one back up. Thanks for the tip. Works like a charm and sounds awesome with the MPE. I feel guilty and immature when I do it but I just can't resist
Guilty (aural) pleasure.
      11-07-2018, 10:33 PM   #206
arquitecto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 MG 6MT, '03 E39

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2003 BMW 530i  [0.00]
Quote:
Also in SPORT.

Guilty (aural) pleasure.
I have done extensive “testing” and found it works great in every mode except in comfort as you would expect...

But don’t just take my word for it, please try (and enjoy) for yourselves!
      11-08-2018, 02:11 AM   #207
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Fun fact - our car sounds better with less burble.

Long time ago I toned down the burble duration and aggression to about 50% OEM. Though it's been still more pronounced than OEM thanks to the Upgraded turbo turbine, HJS cat and MPE, the decreased duration make it much less artificial.

Proper exhaust note should come from screaming rev up, not the other way around crackling rev down.

Hear this - redlining with no burble. Would be even better under load.

11-08-2018, 05:01 AM   #208
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
It seems the M2 has an uncanny transformative effect on people driving a 335i amongst other similar cars

Time and time again the following scenario plays out:

1. I will roll up behind them in normal traffic, sometimes completely stopped at a light.

2. Watch them notice there is an M2 behind them/next to them

3. Then the transformation begins. Much like a werewolf in sight of a full moon, they begin to transform from normal driver into Mario Andretti (they begin swiveling their head around searching for gaps in the traffic)

4. Finally, they proceed to rapidly commit multiple moving violations as they speed off at full attack, darting in and out of traffic

5. I usually just laugh as they drive off into the sunset, it is honestly like watching a spooked horse run off

Note: it is not only 335i drivers but they seem to be the most frequent offenders.
This is weirdly true. Happened to me twice last Sunday. First was an M4 convertible, 2nd was one of those long 4 series coupe things. I have no idea the model. It’s just long.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 05:40 AM   #209
2+3=5
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
This is weirdly true. Happened to me twice last Sunday. First was an M4 convertible, 2nd was one of those long 4 series coupe things. I have no idea the model. It's just long.
Gran coupe?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 07:00 AM   #210
NJ Drive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Proper exhaust note should come from screaming rev up, not the other way around...
100%
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 07:29 AM   #211
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by magha View Post
Can attest to the warning beep! came on during first day of driving
Hmmm... mine definitely doesn't work this way.

Do we have that "intelligent safety button" at 2:35 anywhere ?

Last edited by MPBK; 11-08-2018 at 05:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 11:33 AM   #212
Tiss'er
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LBB LCI

With the DCT, in comfort mode, full auto (no paddles, which I drive a bunch in the early mornings to work) if you aggressively brake to a complete stop, you will get a nice, delicate rev match when the transmission shifts to first. It will not do this if you responsibly roll to a stop.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 03:18 PM   #213
mrmjk
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Sapphire Black

Fun fact: If you drive in Sport mode (usually works in 2nd & 3rd gear) and accelerate quite rapidly to get to between the 4,5k - 6k RPM and then lift of the gas rapidly while at the same time pressing the Traction button you will get a big extra BANG from the exhaust. You need to time it perfectly to work though. Works on stock exhaust as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 06:27 PM   #214
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmjk View Post
Fun fact: If you drive in Sport mode (usually works in 2nd & 3rd gear) and accelerate quite rapidly to get to between the 4,5k - 6k RPM and then lift of the gas rapidly while at the same time pressing the Traction button you will get a big extra BANG from the exhaust. You need to time it perfectly to work though. Works on stock exhaust as well.
Yup. Even without using the traction mode button. A matter of performing a sudden full release of the fully floored accelerator at high(er) rpm.

Feel free to try it in a narrow mountain tunnel in SPORT with an MPE and the thing goes pretty much *BOOM*.
      11-08-2018, 06:39 PM   #215
izzyM2
Major
Rep
Drives: 24’M2/21ID.4/21’MacanGTS

I’ve had this car close to two years and the power on this M2 still freaks me out every time I decide to break laws.
Appreciate 1
      11-09-2018, 12:58 AM   #216
mrmjk
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Sapphire Black

Quote:
Yup. Even without using the traction mode button. A matter of performing a sudden full release of the fully floored accelerator at high(er) rpm.

Feel free to try it in a narrow mountain tunnel in SPORT with an MPE and the thing goes pretty much *BOOM*.
Yep, but try adding the traction button. You'll be surprised
Appreciate 0