BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Join the "always drive DCT manually" Club

01-08-2018, 12:45 PM   #23
3Si
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 M2, 16 Macan S, 08 Elise SC

In manual mode 99% of the time. I prefer shifting with the stick instead of the flappy.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 03:50 PM   #24
greasypeanut
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
More than likely , she probably didn't threaten divorce over a transmission choice , so check the mirror first ?
Actually...things weren't going to well around the time of the purchase. My passion for cars and track days was a small reason.

Things are fine now, and it's not because of the car lol.

I'm just happy to be in a M2 but if anyone wants to trade my 11k mile dct executive for a manual hit me up lol.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2018, 05:21 PM   #25
yo_eddy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

The only time I'm in auto is if I have a coffee. Rarely use the paddles, use the shifter 99% of the time
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 05:29 PM   #26
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasypeanut View Post
Actually...things weren't going to well around the time of the purchase. My passion for cars and track days was a small reason.

Things are fine now, and it's not because of the car lol.

I'm just happy to be in a M2 but if anyone wants to trade my 11k mile dct executive for a manual hit me up lol.
yeah.. probably easier and cheaper to trade cars than it is to trade your wife in...

Props to you for admitting you made the wrong transmission choice. No one should buy a vehicle with an automatic if they want a 6MT because of their spouse. If one's spouse is so selfish as to demand that BOTH or ALL cars have to be set up for her... (as opposed to HER learning to drive a manual transmission vehicle in these days of auto rev match, hill holder etc) then perhaps she isn't a keeper anyway.. or.. at the least.. you might end up later with a divorce AND a vehicle with the wrong gearbox..

the best spouses/mates always say... " it's your car honey.. get what you want".
Appreciate 4
Aloha Joe393.00
ZPrime611.50
Poochie9103.00
Dabozo624.50
      01-08-2018, 06:00 PM   #27
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Quote:
the best spouses/mates always say... " it's your car honey.. get what you want".
Exactly why my wife is a keeper Well, I did let her choose an automatic, guess that makes me a keeper a keeper too
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2018, 07:19 PM   #28
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
yeah.. probably easier and cheaper to trade cars than it is to trade your wife in...

Props to you for admitting you made the wrong transmission choice. No one should buy a vehicle with an automatic if they want a 6MT because of their spouse. If one's spouse is so selfish as to demand that BOTH or ALL cars have to be set up for her... (as opposed to HER learning to drive a manual transmission vehicle in these days of auto rev match, hill holder etc) then perhaps she isn't a keeper anyway.. or.. at the least.. you might end up later with a divorce AND a vehicle with the wrong gearbox..

I like the way you phrase this. I have always thought it was weird when someone posts "should I get a manual or DCT ?" If your really a manual transmission person it isn't even a question. I like manual transmissions, if I had to chose between a manual and a conventional automatic transmission or god forbid a CVT I would absolutely go with the manual but I have to say I love the DCT for a variety of reasons none of which have to do with my wife. To her credit when it came time to buy my next car she would not let me compromise in any way, said get exactly what you want. I suggested maybe I should just get a used M235i and she would not have it, wouldn't even let me finish the sentence. She's a keeper !
Appreciate 2
Poochie9103.00
      01-09-2018, 02:36 AM   #29
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe360 View Post
I prepped a long ISTEP/ILEVEL update review I never posted as I didn't want to revive dying threads. Long story short, I know EXACTLY what you are talking about and after I updated my ISTEP version, this problem has not occurred again. It seems the DCT is holding 3rd/4th all the way down to ~1500rpm, giving me a few more moments now to initiate the downshift before it does it automatically. That means less unintentional 3 to 1 downshifts in traffic for me!
Additional positive changes:
  • Beeping stops as soon as you take car out of reverse!
  • Upshifts appear to initiate more quickly upon paddle press. (I know, I can't measure it. I'm reporting what I feel and think without a way to measure it.)
  • Wandering/long shifts have disappeared when shifting under very light throttle or during very light braking. I could previously induce this by initiating an upshift and suddenly lifting throttle.

I went from NBTevo_J16383I (I-Step F020-16-11-502) to NBTevo_M17345I (I-Step F020-17-11-530), if you are curious.

Oh and the question: I drive the car about 90% of the time in paddle mode. I love downshift/engine deceleration in commute traffic. It is just like my manual cars. I'm usually in auto mode during warmup cruising.
Great info, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 01:58 PM   #30
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

What I find interesting is I tend to switch between using the paddles or the knob kind of randomly. On a sharp turn it's easier to use the knob, but the paddles make it easier to shift 2 or 3 gears at once, but other than those situations I could use either. I think I generally like using the knob more, it feels more physical like I am doing something, but sometimes I just hit the paddles instead, and I don't really know why.

Do you guys find you use the paddles or the knob or do you just use whatever feels right at the time?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 02:56 PM   #31
izzyM2
Major
Rep
Drives: 24’M2/21ID.4/21’MacanGTS

I use both (Paddle n Knob) depending on what the situation is. Subconsciously I tend to use the knob. If I think about it I tend to use the paddles!

MANUAL DCT FOREVER!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 06:24 PM   #32
Cadillac
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition DCT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Si View Post
In manual mode 99% of the time. I prefer shifting with the stick instead of the flappy.
Same for me...that is because my left hand is usually resting on the gear lever (Right hand drive in OZ). this am driving to work pulled up behind a white M2 at the lights...mine is BSM.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 07:08 PM   #33
garrito_burrito_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB

Id say (60% auto) for daily driving (40% manual mode) when in the canyons, or just feeling frisky, or somebody else is trying to play, Ill play along sometimes. Quick process too... sport mode, knock the shifter right, Ill hit the Remus button if Im feeling extra spicy. Paddles are super fun and responsive. NO RAGRETS on my DCT at all. I have all the options and no drawbacks. :P
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 08:25 PM   #34
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I have no idea how anyone shifts paddles mounted to the steering wheel in day to day driving. At a left hand turn from stopped do you just stay in 1st? So damn awkward.
      01-09-2018, 11:25 PM   #35
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
I have no idea how anyone shifts paddles mounted to the steering wheel in day to day driving. At a left hand turn from stopped do you just stay in 1st? So damn awkward.
Use the knob in this situation or just shift to 2nd before you move if you prefer.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 12:46 AM   #36
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep
Drives: It like I stole It.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
I've only driven a few flappy paddle automatics. Friend's R32, m3 test drive, my associate's 488. The Ferrari with the column mounted paddles would be the only way I would go. I drive my wife's automatic with "manual" shift knob thing and my work vehicle has a auto knob shifter thing. They are ok I guess, but not for me.
      01-10-2018, 01:53 AM   #37
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoosexy View Post
I've only driven a few flappy paddle automatics. Friend's R32, m3 test drive, my associate's 488. The Ferrari with the column mounted paddles would be the only way I would go. I drive my wife's automatic with "manual" shift knob thing and my work vehicle has a auto knob shifter thing. They are ok I guess, but not for me.
Ferrari guys to go to the track often complain about the mounting of the paddles on the column instead of the wheel. I prefer the wheel mounted paddles, other than a very tight turn they work just fine, tight turn with a column mounted paddle system has the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 08:21 AM   #38
mtoosexy
Captain
Rep
Drives: It like I stole It.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoosexy View Post
Ferrari guys to go to the track often complain about the mounting of the paddles on the column instead of the wheel. I prefer the wheel mounted paddles, other than a very tight turn they work just fine, tight turn with a column mounted paddle system has the same issue.
the 488 I drove had the extended paddles. seemed perfect to me.
I talked to some M3/M2 guys at my track, a few of them said they dislike the DCT paddle placement. i only asked because im in the market for M2 or M3. They were drooling over the column mounted paddles. just goes to show you can't please everyone...no matter what the price range you are shopping for.
      01-10-2018, 03:25 PM   #39
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Cool to hear about all different ways you do it, I drive manual 99% and mainly with the paddles. I'm surprised though how naturally I instead shift with the stick when necessary without thinking, going round a really tight corner in town, autocross hairpin and so on. But early on (in my CSL with SMG) I did have to think twice to push or pull the stick, hahaha.

Driving on race tracks I never need to shift with the stick, just keep your hands quarter to three at all times. Having fun going sideways a bit... yeah, need to hit the stick sometimes :-D

Last edited by MagnusT; 01-10-2018 at 03:31 PM..
Appreciate 1
BMWM5NYC496.00
      01-10-2018, 05:54 PM   #40
BMWM5NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 Monte Carlo Blue M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
What I find interesting is I tend to switch between using the paddles or the knob kind of randomly. On a sharp turn it's easier to use the knob, but the paddles make it easier to shift 2 or 3 gears at once, but other than those situations I could use either. I think I generally like using the knob more, it feels more physical like I am doing something, but sometimes I just hit the paddles instead, and I don't really know why.

Do you guys find you use the paddles or the knob or do you just use whatever feels right at the time?
Downshift with Paddles, Up shift with stick when casually driving. Really spirited is all paddles. When wheel is turned and paddles are in awkward positions I used the shifter to shift.
      01-19-2018, 04:59 PM   #41
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Ok. I have to confess. I drove it in auto today. I was eating a hotdog
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 07:56 AM   #42
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Automatic until all temps are fine, then in the city to Traction mode to let everyone know I am driving past...

On the highway to Sport mode, hardly use Sport+ mode other than on twisty roads and track.

MR
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 05:11 PM   #43
ajvdh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

I sometimes use auto mode when I'm on the highway with cruise control engaged. Otherwise, always manual mode. I mostly drive with DSC off unless it's wet and/or very cold, or the cruise is engaged. Very wet/cold conditions I usually keep it in 'comfort' 'cause if I do need the nannies, I want them at maximum effectiveness. Sometimes I'll put it in Sport if it's kind of wet. I don't like the artificially sensitive throttle and "slam-you-in-the-back-for-no-reason" shifts in sport+.

I did try automatic mode with DSC off on the track, and at an auto-x. Auto shift is pretty good on the track, but not so much at auto-x.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 06:56 PM   #44
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusT View Post
Ok. I have to confess. I drove it in auto today. I was eating a hotdog
The only legitimate reason to choose auto