BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Exhaust tips from China

11-09-2018, 05:41 PM   #1
x7289155
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Exhaust tips from China

has anyone tried these exhaust tips?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pcs-Car-E...32b:rk:16:pf:0
      11-10-2018, 09:58 AM   #2
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

As pictures show that those tips even feature the BMW M logo, those are counterfeit consumer goods rather than knockoffs. Can be seized at import by the authorities.

Pretty sad to put counterfeited tips mimicking the official quality parts on a genuine BMW M car.
      11-10-2018, 02:53 PM   #3
x7289155
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
As pictures show that those tips even feature the BMW M logo, those are counterfeit consumer goods rather than knockoffs. Can be seized at import by the authorities.

Pretty sad to put counterfeited tips mimicking the official quality parts on a genuine BMW M car.
trust me they would make it okay if not, i get a refund anyhow.

yes they do look like good counterfeits.. i doubt the ones by bmw are made in germany anyhow > and they are just tips. if the carbon melts. replace it.

the price is really attractive.
      11-10-2018, 03:50 PM   #4
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Setting aside the significant issue of counterfeit products and how they are hurting the legitimate manufacturers that put in the time to engineer and develop products, I can tell you that they will likely look like crap in a fairly short period of time. The reason is the heat in the exhaust system is pretty substantial if you drive aggressively at all and if you track they will likely last about a session. I bought coated tips from a very reputable manufacturer and they lasted less than a year before all of the coating flaked off because of heat. They replaced them with high temp ceramic coated tips. That cheap carbon fiber on those tips won't hold up to UV much less the heat of the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 04:02 PM   #5
x7289155
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Setting aside the significant issue of counterfeit products and how they are hurting the legitimate manufacturers that put in the time to engineer and develop products, I can tell you that they will likely look like crap in a fairly short period of time. The reason is the heat in the exhaust system is pretty substantial if you drive aggressively at all and if you track they will likely last about a session. I bought coated tips from a very reputable manufacturer and they lasted less than a year before all of the coating flaked off because of heat. They replaced them with high temp ceramic coated tips. That cheap carbon fiber on those tips won't hold up to UV much less the heat of the exhaust.
i agree. nothing chinese works or fits AS IS.

but sometimes you get lucky. like the door projectors. i got them for $12.. they didnt fit right of the box but they worked and really look great.

i agre with you, carbon does not like heat.. .so im a bit wary on buying carbon chinese tips. >

i emailed cyba...

how much do the cybas cost? ...
      11-10-2018, 04:55 PM   #6
JackyStuntin
JackyStuntin
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Some people in this forum and f80/f82 forum bought the tips from Alibaba.com and they are pretty good according to them
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 05:57 PM   #7
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7289155 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post

but sometimes you get lucky. like the door projectors. i got them for $12.. they didnt fit right of the box but they worked and really look great.

i agre with you, carbon does not like heat.. .so im a bit wary on buying carbon chinese tips. >

i emailed cyba...

You're right, nowadays the quality of Asian imported parts does vary, just like anything else.

I had some official M Performance wheels that where "Made in Taiwan" so - it all depends how much quality control is used in the manufacturing of a product..

Me personal, German made or not, I stick to who BMW choose and go OEM.. I figure they are better than me in analyzing quality..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 07:53 PM   #8
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
i emailed cyba...
Please let's avoid prejudicial stereotyping. Products of all sorts of quality come from all parts of the globe. The message I try to get across consists of steering clear from counterfeited goods, no matter where those are put together: not authorized by the brand owner, zero assurance about quality & safety and virtually no recourse when these cause damage of whatever nature.

See here (BMW Group Brand Protection).

11-12-2018, 05:27 PM   #9
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackyStuntin View Post
Some people in this forum and f80/f82 forum bought the tips from Alibaba.com and they are pretty good according to them
The M2 tips build up higher temps than those of the M3/M4. It is always something to keep in mind when cross shopping.
      11-12-2018, 06:06 PM   #10
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IND-Distribution View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackyStuntin View Post
The M2 tips build up higher temps than those of the M3/M4. It is always something to keep in mind when cross shopping.
A quality part is always worth it in the end.

As they say... The cheap comes out expensive !!
      11-14-2018, 01:56 AM   #11
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
has anyone tried these exhaust tips?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pcs-Car-E...32b:rk:16:pf:0
Assume you are looking to put tips on the oem exhaust? If you have the MPE exhaust I agree with other comments against going cheap copies but of course the genuine MPE tips don't fit oem exhaust and I really didn't like any of the other after market tips (& don't like the chrome oem). I have a Fabspeed sportcat and don't feel the need to change from the oem exhaust.

Since February I've had MPE copy tips installed, info here https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=11
I've since done 15K km including a few drives involving sustained hard driving and they've held up well though there was some effort required to clean the exhaust deposits off afterwards (which would be the case with any exhaust tip after these drives).

I'd be cautious with those in that ebay link you've given, not only do the photos show varying quality of product but 1 photo looks to be even showing genuine MPE exhaust/tips.
Appreciate 0